A mom's tale of struggle, triumph

A mom's tale of struggle, triumph

There are 12 comments on the Connecticut Post story from May 11, 2008, titled A mom's tale of struggle, triumph. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

Jaidine DeJesus, right, helps Alyssa Pride with her homework at Project Learn after-school program at Summerfield United Methodist Church in Bridgeport.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

Ruth Wagner

Croton On Hudson, NY

#1 May 11, 2008
I'm Jaidine's cousin and I want her and everyone to know how very proud I am of you! HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!~Ruthie
Oh Please

Forest Hills, NY

#2 May 11, 2008
Give me a break
pwilson

Sandy Hook, CT

#3 May 11, 2008
not married and two kids. with her "partner" of just 7 months.(gone now?) sorry, not a great role model.
FedUp

Morris, CT

#4 May 12, 2008
Why the hell does the Connecticut Post keep doing these stupid stories about people who have these children outside of being married? Couldn't they do a Mother's Day story about a mother who is actually married to the father of their children? Or does no one in Bridgeport have children within marriage? If they could find one, that would be news!

And then they wonder why they have the reputation they have!
Sassy4297

Milford, CT

#5 May 13, 2008
You know what.. just because someone isn't married doesn't make them any less of a mother! Some people were lucky enough to have husbands, some weren't. So, because she is single she is not a role model to her kids? And to see some of the womens comments is very sad. Whether you are married, single, etc no one knows the future. Your husband could leave, die, etc. Does the fact that you had children with your husband make you any better? Now don't get me wrong, having 2, 3, 4 without a permanent figure for these kids and the women is just a mess! After 1 or even 2, step up and be responsible because alot of what you do and become impacts your childs future.
MAG in NM

Newington, CT

#6 May 13, 2008
I think she's a great role model. Her first partner left her because she couldn't have children; how is that her fault? The second partner didn't want children. Instead of catering to him by having an abortion, she left him and had the child. She pulled herself up by her bootstraps, got a job and her own place, finished her high school education, and is helping take care of other children. She is involved with her community, her children's school, and her church. She is NOT on welfare waiting for someone to give her a handout.

So what if she's not married? Sounds like neither man would be a good father anyway. Having a marriage license does not guarantee good parenting skills. I've heard too many children of divorced parents say that they really wish their parents had NOT stayed together "for the sake of the children" because that only produced years of living in an environment of constant arguing, fighting (sometimes physically), blame, being used as pawns to get back at the other parent, and other such horrors.
FedUp

Danielson, CT

#7 May 13, 2008
Sassy4297 wrote:
You know what.. just because someone isn't married doesn't make them any less of a mother! Some people were lucky enough to have husbands, some weren't. So, because she is single she is not a role model to her kids? And to see some of the womens comments is very sad. Whether you are married, single, etc no one knows the future. Your husband could leave, die, etc. Does the fact that you had children with your husband make you any better? Now don't get me wrong, having 2, 3, 4 without a permanent figure for these kids and the women is just a mess! After 1 or even 2, step up and be responsible because alot of what you do and become impacts your childs future.
It's not a matter of being "lucky" enough to have a husband -- it's a matter of being responsible enough to not have children unless you have a husband!
Sassy4297

Milford, CT

#8 May 14, 2008
Then there would be alot less people in the world..
Having a husband doesn't make you any better than someone who doesn't. Now if you have 2 or 3 kids, different fathers, no husband that's a different story. But NO ONE should judge and every situation has different circumstances.
Jaidine DeJesus

Ansonia, CT

#9 Feb 1, 2012
First, I'd like to thank God, and all the positive feedback and people in my life. Thank you so much!

After finishing my first semester of college, I made the Dean's List!

I am currently enrolled in my second semester.

Although is is (quietly) acceptable in some cultures (and some religious affiliations) to abort a viable fetus because the concept of children out of wedlock is considered unacceptable......(What happened to the sanctity of being married a virgin in those same religions)....

I chose to carry my two children...my two babies....to term because they were conceived and born sinless (according to my Bible).

They have been nothing less than a Blessing, have excelled in Sunday school and in their academic studies, and are my focal point in life.

Their life is full of God, laughter, friends, happiness and joy! How many married couples can say their home is a peaceful, happy home?

We will continue to excel. Thank you all for your love, prayers, and kind words!

Shalom,
Jaidine and the boys

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#10 Feb 1, 2012
Best of luck to Jaidine and her family. It is bedtime for Tippy and her fish and myself, and to all, a good night.
Good for you

United States

#11 Feb 1, 2012
Jaidine DeJesus wrote:
First, I'd like to thank God, and all the positive feedback and people in my life. Thank you so much!
After finishing my first semester of college, I made the Dean's List!
I am currently enrolled in my second semester.
Although is is (quietly) acceptable in some cultures (and some religious affiliations) to abort a viable fetus because the concept of children out of wedlock is considered unacceptable......(What happened to the sanctity of being married a virgin in those same religions)....
I chose to carry my two children...my two babies....to term because they were conceived and born sinless (according to my Bible).
They have been nothing less than a Blessing, have excelled in Sunday school and in their academic studies, and are my focal point in life.
Their life is full of God, laughter, friends, happiness and joy! How many married couples can say their home is a peaceful, happy home?
We will continue to excel. Thank you all for your love, prayers, and kind words!
Shalom,
Jaidine and the boys
Good for you Jaidine! Ignore the ignorant comments! Keep doing what your doing and your children will surely follow in your footsteps! I was a single mom and now my oldest is in college and has made the dean's list every semester! Not to mention the fact that he is a wonderful, loving, talented young man!
Best of luck to you!!
Jaidine DeJesus

Ansonia, CT

#12 Apr 27, 2012
Good for you wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you Jaidine! Ignore the ignorant comments! Keep doing what your doing and your children will surely follow in your footsteps! I was a single mom and now my oldest is in college and has made the dean's list every semester! Not to mention the fact that he is a wonderful, loving, talented young man!
Best of luck to you!!
Thank you! I wish you the best in life!

Jaidine

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bridgeport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Photographer Frank Gerratana snapped this photo... 14 hr America Gentleman... 3
News Celebrate Spring With Greater Bridgeport Sympho... Wed BPT 1
News Cops: Reaching for his wallet, diner shoots sel... Tue jeffery 3
News Shelton Student Photographer: 'I'm Scared Of Th... Tue jeffery 5
News Bloodroot owners mark 40 years of feminism, veg... Tue BPT 6
News Bridgeport duo nabbed for additional burglary c... Tue Samuels Furnace Man 2
News Police: Three Shot During Dispute Over Stolen D... Mar 27 BPT 3

Bridgeport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bridgeport Mortgages