Ethics Director To Register Car

Ethics Director To Register Car

There are 51 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jun 19, 2007, titled Ethics Director To Register Car. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Staff Complaints, Failure To Comply With Motor Vehicle Law Bring Call For Bycel's Firing June 19, 2007 By JON LENDER , Courant Staff Writer State ethics director Benjamin Bycel's failure to obtain a Connecticut ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#23 Jun 19, 2007
Hmmm….can someone provide the distinguished gentleman with an unbiased Connecticut-101 crush course? After all he oversees our ethics watchdog establishment – he ought to know – he must… Right?

Center…and…Left?

And please show him our (CT) appropriate procedural protocol for power napping at work. Hanging a “do not disturb” sign on his office’s external (not internal) doorknob, explain his co-workers that he work many more hours than expected, etcetera…

We ought to give power napping a fair trial, unless proved otherwise. Some studies suggest to the merit of increased productivity due to power napping. For Real!

Respectfully,
Bo ItsHaky
Gary

Berlin, CT

#24 Jun 19, 2007
I don't know the guy, and haven't heard anything good or bad about him until this story. But you have to wonder why these politicians are making such a huge issue over this. Yes, I know he is doing something wrong and his excuse is nothing but bs, but it looks like these politicians have had there staffs turning over every rock on this guy, and have come up with a couple thousand dollars that is owed to the state. I personally think this guy might be doing a good job and these politicians are missing all of the freebies that they feel they are entitled to, so they went on a witch hunt to find anything they could on this guy. I don't care either way, in my eyes they're all crooked in some way shape or form anyway. If you show me an honest politician I will show you a pig that can fly.
Judge and Jury

New Milford, CT

#25 Jun 19, 2007
Jim wrote:
His stories don't add-up. Great, our Ethics Head is dishonest.
Did you really expect him to be honest? Nothing ever adds up in politics. Only the tax bill does.
Inconsistencies and Lies

Hartford, CT

#26 Jun 19, 2007
Listen to the man's words. He claims to have NO KNOWLEDGE of the law requiring registration and licensure. He previously stated that the VT registration saves him $1,800. Where does that savings come from other than taxes? Registration and licensure fees aren't that high. His inconsistent statements simply are not credible. He clearly knew that he was cheating the City of Hartford and his own employer, the State of Connecticut. Finally, I have little regard for a lawyer who thinks ignorance of the law is some sort of an excuse. Lawyers are, among other things, excellent researchers. If you don't know the law, Mr. Bycel, look it up. In this instance, if one reads Bycel's own words, it is clear that he knew about the law, the taxes and his obligations. He chose, in his personal interest, to ignore the law, perhaps violating other laws, including the Code of Ethics for Public Officials. Neither the CEAB,the Legislature, the Governor, the City of Hartford nor the DMV should accept this "in one ear and out the other" nonsense. Mr. Bycel ought to receive the appropriate treatment of anyone who intentionally violates the law.
fed UP

Mystic, CT

#27 Jun 19, 2007
Here come all the wacky liberals!!!

WHeres Chris Donovan??
TomRN

Winnipeg, Canada

#28 Jun 19, 2007
Bo ItsHaky wrote:
We ought to give power napping a fair trial, unless proved otherwise. Some studies suggest to the merit of increased productivity due to power napping. For Real!
Somehow this whole thing reminds me of a Seinfield episode. Mr. Bycel strikes me as the perfect George Costanza.
dan

Detroit, MI

#29 Jun 19, 2007
him & tens of thousands... DMV is running over 3 years behind
Who is the YoYo

Hartford, CT

#30 Jun 19, 2007
lookatthemyoyos wrote:
<quoted text>
Connecticut people are so petty! OOOOOH didn't register his car with the DMV, but in the same breath condone hiring someone to beat up a guy. There is no law that says you need to change your driver's license over.
Why don't you do your research before making your inaccruate and ill informed statements. Conn. Gen. Stat.(that means Connecticut General Statutes) section 14-12 requires that a vehicle with out-of-state registration be registered in CT within 60 days of the owner establishing residence in CT. As Mr. Bycel's auto is leased and therefore owned by someone else, Conn. Gen. Stat. Section 14-15a captures the vehicles leased for more than 30 days, requiring re-registration. As for driver's licences, Conn. Gen. Stat. Section 14-36(b) requires a person with an out-of-state driver's license to obtain a CT licence within 30 days of establishing residence in CT. Rather than spouting your nonsense, do your research, which is what Mr. Bycel should have done. And just to be clear, I personally am outraged at the concept that a member of the State Senate would turn to the MOB and threaten to have someone beaten. Here, again, we have a person, a LAW MAKER, whose actions show little care for the law. Disgust for law breakers is not "petty." All citizens should hold these people accountable.
ginger

Fairfield, CT

#31 Jun 19, 2007
Inconsistencies and Lies wrote:
Listen to the man's words. He claims to have NO KNOWLEDGE of the law requiring registration and licensure. He previously stated that the VT registration saves him $1,800. Where does that savings come from other than taxes? Registration and licensure fees aren't that high. His inconsistent statements simply are not credible. He clearly knew that he was cheating the City of Hartford and his own employer, the State of Connecticut. Finally, I have little regard for a lawyer who thinks ignorance of the law is some sort of an excuse. Lawyers are, among other things, excellent researchers. If you don't know the law, Mr. Bycel, look it up. In this instance, if one reads Bycel's own words, it is clear that he knew about the law, the taxes and his obligations. He chose, in his personal interest, to ignore the law, perhaps violating other laws, including the Code of Ethics for Public Officials. Neither the CEAB,the Legislature, the Governor, the City of Hartford nor the DMV should accept this "in one ear and out the other" nonsense. Mr. Bycel ought to receive the appropriate treatment of anyone who intentionally violates the law.
Excellant points!! Don't count on the Board doing anything. The majority of them answer to Lisa Moody and are too inexperienced and naive to grasp the toxicity and seriousness of this matter.
DDG

Newington, CT

#32 Jun 19, 2007
My employer has always maintained sleeping on the job is very much likened to stealing, and as a result, always held to be a just and probable cause for immediate dismissal. National Arbitrators have consistantly agreed with this long held premise and have ruled accordingly.
If he worked for my employer, they would have collected his personal effects and placed them at the curbside and discretely waved good bye .......... before he awoke.
Jack

Bryans Road, MD

#33 Jun 19, 2007
Bycel is a classic operator, smart as a Fox. However, I am sure the people going after him had they're own agenda. Perhaps Bycel would not allow them to run a side business on state time and they showed him.

I would think a person working at Dunkin Donuts would realize you have to register a car in the state you live and wor.
chuck

Plainville, CT

#34 Jun 19, 2007
I was nailed with a hefty tax from the state including penalties because i didn't register my car from VT. Over 3,000.00 in just a couple years. He should pay it too. He wasn't ignorant of the law, he was trying to save $$.
Despicable CT

East Hartford, CT

#35 Jun 19, 2007
Gee, everyone relax now...apparently we've bagged the biggest criminal in Hartford.
Opinion

Portland, CT

#36 Jun 19, 2007
I met a salesman a feww years back. He was new to the area and had a company owned/leased car with out of state plates...He was stopped by CT State Polocice for speeding. The cop gave him Tickets and Fines for not having a CT License and the car not being registered with plate change. Even thogh it was a company car and an out of state company...Is this Bycel going to get tickets and fines too? Or will Jodi Rell give him a PARDON like DeLuca? What would Johnny Rowland say? It appears he is crawling out from under his rock with hi Hand-Out.

Since: Feb 07

Hartford, CT

#37 Jun 19, 2007
Despicable CT wrote:
Gee, everyone relax now...apparently we've bagged the biggest criminal in Hartford.
It's not a big deal except for the fact that it completely disqualifies him from serving in any capicity to enforce ethics.

It would be like giving drunks the keys to police cruisers so they can patrol our state's highways.

Oh wait. This is CT. That's exactly what we do.

What a crappy state.
Overtaxed

AOL

#38 Jun 19, 2007
Korrupticut, the situation comedy. TV wouldn't even need writers for this smash comedy hit of the season. All they'd need is the Hartford Courant to be scripted. The casting is the critical part.
lookatthemyoyos

Colchester, VT

#39 Jun 19, 2007
Who is the YoYo wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you do your research before making your inaccruate and ill informed statements. Conn. Gen. Stat.(that means Connecticut General Statutes) section 14-12 requires that a vehicle with out-of-state registration be registered in CT within 60 days of the owner establishing residence in CT. As Mr. Bycel's auto is leased and therefore owned by someone else, Conn. Gen. Stat. Section 14-15a captures the vehicles leased for more than 30 days, requiring re-registration. As for driver's licences, Conn. Gen. Stat. Section 14-36(b) requires a person with an out-of-state driver's license to obtain a CT licence within 30 days of establishing residence in CT. Rather than spouting your nonsense, do your research, which is what Mr. Bycel should have done. And just to be clear, I personally am outraged at the concept that a member of the State Senate would turn to the MOB and threaten to have someone beaten. Here, again, we have a person, a LAW MAKER, whose actions show little care for the law. Disgust for law breakers is not "petty." All citizens should hold these people accountable.
You are right, I should have done my research, but I had no time this morning. In any event, now that we've been informed he's guilty of traffic infractions... big stuff there! Let's look at the Connecticut Rules of Professional Conduct, with it's "consent of the client", and attorney discretion with no written waiver or even the term WAIVER, and wonder why with a member in good standing of the State Bar of California, which has, I am told the toughest ethics rules for attorneys in the country. Then let's ask how on the one hand, the Connecticut attorneys at the Office of Ethics won't allow him to engage in legal discussions, and on the other hand, claim that "they don't know what to do". The best they have on the guy is that he sleeps on the job, probably because he's not allowed to do anything, because he's not licensed to practice in Connecticut (hummmm that might be a conflict of interest in and of itself), and non-criminal traffic infractions. Connecticut has a serious narcisstic complex.
butane

Wethersfield, CT

#40 Jun 19, 2007
when I rented a UHAUL pick-up once, it had Arizona plates. Why are they allowed to get away with it even though they do business of renting/leasing vehicles in CT.

The whole thing with vehicle tax is a scam. I hate it.

Lets all boycott it by not paying taxes and not registering our vehicles.
lookatthemyoyos

Colchester, VT

#41 Jun 19, 2007
Johnny Jazz wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a big deal except for the fact that it completely disqualifies him from serving in any capicity to enforce ethics.
It would be like giving drunks the keys to police cruisers so they can patrol our state's highways.
Oh wait. This is CT. That's exactly what we do.
What a crappy state.
Why don't you show him some New England hospitality and buy him a box of blue backs with your visa or discovery card?
Judge and Jury

Guilford, CT

#42 Jun 19, 2007
My girl friend rented a car this weekend due to mechanical problems with her car and a long garage stay in the fututre. The rental agency is a national company in CT. and the car is registered in MA. I recall motor vehicles going into a truck leasing company in the Meadows and forcing to make them pay taxes where the trucks were garaged in Hartford and not the town where the registration said they were registered. Leased and registered vehicles need more clarity and everytime I see a luxury automobile or SUV registered in Vermont I wonder if the owner is a CT resident and ducking the taxman.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bridgeport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Child-Friendly Scene Draws Families To Bridgepo... 1 hr Nulli Secundus 4
News Gathering of the Vibes makes splash at Bridgepo... 3 hr Nulli Secundus 4
News No crime in Bridgeport - until after the election 3 hr Nulli Secundus 2
News Former Bridgeport Rep Rejects Plea Deal In Frau... 23 hr American Gentlema... 6
News Fairfield County Nonprofits Find Support At Gat... 23 hr American Gentlema... 1
News The Gathering of the Vibes 2015- Day 1 Sat hardly workin 3
News Bridge work to cause I-95 lane closures Fri hardly workin 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bridgeport Mortgages