Crash closes Merritt Parkway in Trumbull

Full story: Connecticut Post

A serious motor vehicle accident stopped traffic in both directions of the Merritt Parkway near Exit 49 early Monday afternoon.
Comments
1 - 20 of 326 Comments Last updated Feb 13, 2014
First Prev
of 17
Next Last
Quentin

Englewood Cliffs, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

I was returning to my job from lunch travelling North on the Merrit close to Exit 51 when all of a sudden traffic stopped. Only a few cars in front of me was a smashed up Black late model sedan with an individual in the middle of the parkway who was smashed up and not moving. It was an horrific sight, one that still bothers me now as I speak. I do hope this person has survived, but I have a feeling they were not wearing a seat belt. There was another car across the other side of the parkway (Southbound) smashed and in front of a tree facing Northbound. The whole scene looked like something out of a movie. It really pays to honor the speed limit on the Parkway. If other cars don't kill you, the rocks and trees will.
Wiffle Lurker

Tappan, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

Of course. Never a dull moment on the parkway.
Gran Prix

Fairfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

The Merritt is a favorite road for speeders and their high tech cars. Doesn't sound too promising for the driver.
resident

Poland, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Got to slow down
someone who knows

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

I was stuck for an hour after getting on southbound from rte 8, all cars had to exit off the nichols ave entrance, where are the police when all this traffic needs to be directed?
Flutie mom

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

My heart goes out to this person and his or her family. In addition to speeders on the Parkway, I am aghast at the number of people talking on cell phones and even texting (!) while driving. Would everyone please slow down and just focus on driving?
Devon Resident

Redding Ridge, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

Sad part is, once the parkway is opened the speeders will return. They're all in a hurry to get nowhere. Just stupid losers who feel the need to grasp onto some kind of power to rule the roads.
Ljb25

Denville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

I am very upset that they would leave a dead body under a tarp in this heat for all this time! Then, put the pic of it in the paper! I don't think that is respecting the dead! My heart goes out to this person's family!
whatamess

Brentwood, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

always racing to beat the traffic or the road crews on the merritt. An ugly scene. Very sad. But they should have it cleaned up in time for tonight's road construction delays.
Deece

Monroe, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

Did we really need to see the body under the sheet? And shame on the paper for not blurring out the license plate #, pending notification of the family...irresponsible.
SWC

Wolcott, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

I'm incredibly disappointed in the Connecticut Post for not blocking the license plate of a car involved, and am DISGUSTED they would photograph the deceased AND print the picture. That is incredibly disrespectful to the person who passed and to their family. Consider the victims - remember to do your jobs with compassion. Remember that quite possibly a loved one could learn of this accident or its outcome through your journalism - would you want this for your loved one? My father was killed in a traffic accident out of state and as my family tried to reach me, I found out in their regional online paper. I beg you to STOP this practice and CONSIDER THE FAMILY. As someone unrelated to to this victim, I assure you, as other readers will, this photo is NOT relevant to the news story.

My thoughts and prayers to the family of the deceased and to those involved in this accident.
You beat teh TV stations

Shelton, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Thanks for the details. 3&8 had nothing!
SpeedKills

Freeport, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

I hope they update this story and let us know what happened.

My condolences to the deceased's family.

I hate this highway. It is not built for the volume of traffic or the speed of the cars that travel on it. And there is no enforcement of any traffic laws on this parkway.
SpeedKills

Freeport, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

Quentin wrote:
I was returning to my job from lunch travelling North on the Merrit close to Exit 51 when all of a sudden traffic stopped. Only a few cars in front of me was a smashed up Black late model sedan with an individual in the middle of the parkway who was smashed up and not moving. It was an horrific sight, one that still bothers me now as I speak. I do hope this person has survived, but I have a feeling they were not wearing a seat belt. There was another car across the other side of the parkway (Southbound) smashed and in front of a tree facing Northbound. The whole scene looked like something out of a movie. It really pays to honor the speed limit on the Parkway. If other cars don't kill you, the rocks and trees will.
Smashed up? Like they had been run over?
Are you kidding

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

Why would anyone put a pick of the person that died on the website ! Would youl ike to see your family member under a white blanket. Horrible !!!
IMHO

Ansonia, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

I was on the Merritt heading northbound around 2pm. It took me an hour to get from Fairfield to Shelton. The only detour given was onto Rte 25S. There was a police car stopping cars from going any further. I eventually picked up Route 8 but it took a WHILE.

I don't think the CT Post should have that picture of the body on the road. I saw a fatal motorcycle accident once and saw the body covered in the road. It's something I wish I never saw and never, ever want to again. I think the paper could have told the story without pictures of the body and the license plate.
Incensed

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

These photos are obscene, they should be removed.
some other guy

Stamford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

Yesterday, on a long vacation drive home, I was on 95 (the Maine Turnpike), 495, 84, 91, and lastly, 15. By far, the most erratic traffic was on 15. On 95 and all the other roads, pretty much everyone was doing 65-75 mph, which was fine on 3 or 4 lanes where everybody's speeds are pretty much uniform. On the Merritt, however, traffic off 91 suddenly encounters: merging traffic entering from a standstill; clueless idiots who don't know the rules doing 50 in the left lane causing normal traffic to pass on the right; and locals crawling on then off the next exit using the Merritt like it was a local thoroughfare. I thought, if I weren't a local myself and used to this craziness, this just might make for a nasty little surprise if I weren't being super-careful.
CCC

Springfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

This paper is nothing but garbage. How cruel to post a photograph of the deceased. Has this paper no respect for the dead. What a piece is shit newspaper. Phil Noel should be fired.
REMOVE THE PICS

Newington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

First and last time on this website... Nice job Ct Post.. u guys suck

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bridgeport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drumstik Bar-BQ in Bridgeport was the top vote-... 43 min Bridgeport Girl 7
Patriots finish seson at 16-0 (Dec '07) 3 hr Kevin 32
How to get start on a biker dating site? 15 hr Citizen44 2
A day in the life of a Bridgeport soup kitchen 22 hr Sir Samuel 2
Limo driver charged with impregnating girl,... Mon Sir Samuel 3
Chauvet Professional Legend Series Creates Aura... Aug 25 Sir Samuel 1
Winklevoss twins' dad hopes to build rowing emp... Aug 25 BPT 4
•••

Bridgeport News Video

•••