Injured 9-year-old taken off bus route

Injured 9-year-old taken off bus route

There are 25 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Dec 3, 2007, titled Injured 9-year-old taken off bus route. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

A 9-year-old boy who suffered a bloody head wound when his school bus hit a pot hole last week is no longer riding the bus home from school, his mother said Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Concerned Parent

Sioux City, IA

#1 Dec 4, 2007
I bet that bus driver is glad that you will be driving your kid to school. A bus driver has a big enough responsibility without having to tell your kid to sit down all the time. One less kid off the bus makes it easier for the driver.
anotherannasmom

Sierra Vista, AZ

#2 Dec 4, 2007
Sounds like the mother is looking for a lawsuit.. story sounds slightly exaggerated
FreetoBeMe

Scranton, PA

#3 Dec 4, 2007
The Mother needs to get a lawyer and fight this.It makes no difference if her Son was standing or sitting the fact is that Screw was there " a dangerous object" in this case and he was hurt. Safety for our Children should be our first concern and this certainly needs to be looked into.

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#4 Dec 4, 2007
That's right, absolve the parent and child of personal responsibility, don't teach the child to SIT on the bus, sue the city because it's all the city's fault, couldn't possibly be the parent or child's fault!
Milford parent

Shelton, CT

#5 Dec 4, 2007
If he wasn't sitting down as the always reliable bus company states, then how did he manage to hit his head on the window. He was obviously in his seat - close to the window. He may not have been sitting straight up or something, but clearly he was in his seat. Yes, there are too many people in this world that want to blame everyone else except themselves or their children, and unfortunately this makes everyone's claims suspicious, but just think about this injury and how the boy must have been on the bus! This isn't the first time that kids have been hurt on the bus and I am surprised it hasn't happened more often. Have you seen how these bus drivers drive? Good luck to this family!
FreetoBeMe

Scranton, PA

#6 Dec 4, 2007
LynneB

I do agree with you on one point, yes the child should be taught at home as well, but it is the Bus Drivers responsibility to enforce the rules once the child enters the bus.Once a child sets foot on a School Bus they are in care of the driver who is now in charge. I have seen kids standing while the bus was moving now tell me who's fault would this have been if they were hurt theirs for not listening to their parents?? or the bus driver for not telling them to sit???

You seemed to have missed my point here. The Screw was there, it was within reach of this child to cause harm ... Are you saying it would be a different story if he had been sitting??

Rules are to be followed, if the Driver had enforced the " NO STANDING " one this wouldn't have happened.
FreetoBeMe

Scranton, PA

#7 Dec 4, 2007
To Milford Parent.

Oh boy am i glad you asked that,i can't begin to tell you how many times i have been behind a School Bus going over the speed limit. I would travel the old dump road on Silver Sands on my way home from work at the same time the bus did, the driver entered the road before i did and i followed behind, before i got to the first bend the bus was out of sight... this was every day until he was reported. Don't get me wrong there are cautious drivers .. but there are some who shouldn't be behind the wheel.
MILFORD COACH

Meriden, CT

#8 Dec 4, 2007
I happen to know the Mingo family and one thing about them is that they raise responsible children and pull no punches with anything. Kyle Mingo always followed directions in both football and baseball
If the Mingo's are lying, this would be the first time I would ever know of it; so I am sure things happened the way Krista Mingo says it did
Problem here is, people want to have these jobs and work for the school board for easy hours yet want no accountability when something goes wrong. I am sure the bus company is enjoying a pretty penny with the school contract. Too bad now someone wants answers from them.
The bus driver is not doing this job out of the goodness of heart; a check is being paid out too, as is one to the bus company
Jenny

New York, NY

#9 Dec 4, 2007
Bottom line, there should be seatbelts. It is UNBELIEVABLE to me that in 2007 there are no seat belts on school buses. I was in a bus accident back in the 1960's - a freak accident where the bus driver was killed by a falling branch - and every child was bumped and bruised, glass everywhere, and the worst ones needed stitches. The ONLY reason the kids weren't more hurt was because of the hero bus driver - who spent the last moments of his life safely pulling the bus over.

There should be seatbelts! Kids don't always sit, and bus drivers should be watching the road while driving, not the kids.
adrinker

Trumbull, CT

#10 Dec 4, 2007
Hit a screw BELOW the bus window? Odd. How did his head get below the window. Those windows are very low, and if your sitting right, your head is way above the bottom of the window. And no stiches? But yet, the paper states "bloody head wound". Can we please stop the drama? Next time the kid will learn to sit right.
Milford parent

Shelton, CT

#11 Dec 5, 2007
The windows are not "very low" - they are at average height. Have you seen a school bus full of elementary aged children lately? Sometimes you can only see the tops of kids heads, so it is completely plausible that a 9 year old kid - if jostled by the bus going over a speed bump - can bang his head into a protruding screw. Do you now bounce a bit when you go over a pothole in your car, even though you are strapped in by a seatbelt? If you read the article and think about it a round screw is not going to make a straight-ish cut that can be stitched - it would make more of a round-ish gash/hole that would be more difficult to stitch. Please think things through before posting.
adrinker

Trumbull, CT

#12 Dec 6, 2007
Milford parent wrote:
The windows are not "very low" - they are at average height. Have you seen a school bus full of elementary aged children lately? Sometimes you can only see the tops of kids heads, so it is completely plausible that a 9 year old kid - if jostled by the bus going over a speed bump - can bang his head into a protruding screw. Do you now bounce a bit when you go over a pothole in your car, even though you are strapped in by a seatbelt? If you read the article and think about it a round screw is not going to make a straight-ish cut that can be stitched - it would make more of a round-ish gash/hole that would be more difficult to stitch. Please think things through before posting.
I notice you did not address my comment about the "bloody head wound".
Jocko Mealia

United States

#13 Dec 6, 2007
What's it going to take to make the Public get interested in installing ALL School Buses with Seat Belts ? Maybe some day it would even save a Child's Life !!!
If its the cost that everyone's hung up on, change the Law and get the Bus Company to install them and charge back the City for their services or get on line for some US Grant Money that would help out a worthy cause. After all, what "Price" do we place on the Life of a Child, especially Our Own ---
Lt. Bill ( Jocko ) Mealia - N.C.P.S.
big shawn

Eugene, OR

#14 Dec 6, 2007
cheese smells good
FEDIGAN

AOL

#15 Dec 6, 2007
THE CHILD WAS PROBABLY MISBEHAVING. I HAVE ZERO TOLERANCE FOR MISBHAVED CHILDREN.
SICK OF YALL

AOL

#16 Dec 6, 2007
Jocko Mealia wrote:
What's it going to take to make the Public get interested in installing ALL School Buses with Seat Belts ? Maybe some day it would even save a Child's Life !!!
If its the cost that everyone's hung up on, change the Law and get the Bus Company to install them and charge back the City for their services or get on line for some US Grant Money that would help out a worthy cause. After all, what "Price" do we place on the Life of a Child, especially Our Own ---
Lt. Bill ( Jocko ) Mealia - N.C.P.S.
HEY JOCKO- GET OVER YOURSELF.
Why

Scranton, PA

#17 Dec 6, 2007
pwilson.
Quote from Article .......
they couldn't stitch it because it wasn't a cut he had a hole from the screw.
A Mom from Milford

United States

#18 Dec 7, 2007
Sounds like the driver can't control his/her bus.
And of course the bus company would say it was the child's fault.
I've dealt with this bus company before. Where the bus driver was swearing at the kids. And Tom fro Durham would say that it was the kids fault.
I think Milford needs to look into another school bus company.
Plus, have you ever seen them drive? Fast, go through stop sign etc.

This was the drivers fault. There was no reason why this bus hit a lamppost except for going too darn fast.
A Mom from Milford

United States

#19 Dec 7, 2007
pwilson wrote:
Hit a screw BELOW the bus window? Odd. How did his head get below the window. Those windows are very low, and if your sitting right, your head is way above the bottom of the window. And no stiches? But yet, the paper states "bloody head wound". Can we please stop the drama? Next time the kid will learn to sit right.
It's not the kids fault that the bus driver can't control her/his bus. Whose at fault the bus driver. Not the kid. Was the kid driving the bus, No. A grown up that has 25+ kids on the bus.
FreeToBeMe

Scranton, PA

#20 Dec 7, 2007

pwilson quote ..
Stop the DRAMA,Next time the kid will learn to sit right.

Well Bless your Heart
Remember your words
when someone you love
get's hurt.

Mommy Dearest, or is that Daddy Dearest??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bridgeport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Three men charged in thefts from car 7 hr BPT 1
News Democrats resolve to fight Trump 7 hr BPT 1
News Fairfield police: Bridgeport man drove drunk, h... 7 hr BPT 1
News At MLK celebration, pastor urges breaking - cha... 7 hr BPT 1
News A&S Fine Foods opens on Norwalk-Westport line 7 hr BPT 6
News Aryan Nations recruiting again in northern Idaho (Apr '09) Jan 14 a-citizen 493
What Neighborhood in Bpt is most dangerous. (Aug '11) Jan 14 69citizen69 39

Bridgeport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bridgeport Mortgages