WICC radio host John LaBarca fired

Full story: Connecticut Post

Longtime WICC-AM radio personality John LaBarca, who hosted the station's popular weekday early morning show and Sunday's Italian House Party for many years, was fired Thursday.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of341
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Oh my God

New Haven, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

Tony Reno AKA Tony Cortese. Well ah, but ah, John when they call you back, tell em forget it. Seems the dumbing down prevalent in the Network News is getting to the radio.
Bob

Berlin, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2007

This is a stupid decision on their part to release John. I for one and many of my friends will be tuning out from WICC. The station has gone down hill ever since they were sold to the big wigs. John in the morning and on Sunday were the ONLY saving grace that had me listening during those times. The rest is terrible programming. I recall years ago, they had all local live programming, than switched to syndicated stuff except for the morning with John and Sunday morning. Than they gave us a spin that they were giving us more live local people and brought in others. John is the only one that made me want to tune in. Even the traffic reporting is full of filler with Kelly Quinn. Drivers want and need only the facts without the filler. I get better coverage from the NYC traffic reports on the 10's and 8's. You know what I mean. Before Kelly was given the job full time, I had hoped you guys would have taken on the guy that did it a fuew times. He was to the point and had a professional way of him. But, he must have gone on to better pastures. John, when they come begging for you to come back, make them squirm. I enjoyed listening to the Italian House Party and what John shared with us was dead-on of my italian upbringing. In fact, his way of telling it would start the memories flowing. Although the station, as the article states, owns the rights to the Italian House Party, the truth is the John LaBarca is the Italian House Party. No one else can fill his shoes without having walked the talk.

Merry Christmas
jlb

Clifton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2007

its ok guys ill be fine i just want everyone to know ... i have a crush on tim quinn :>)~
Are you kidding

Oxford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2007

Only reason to listen to WICC is JLB! Time to change the station! There is better news and traffic out there...John - we will follow you where you go - remember me (Hello Everybody) the one who called to tell you your Mom is proud of you...things happen for a reason :-) hang in there - your fans will follow!!!!!
Joanna Leone

Stamford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2007

John- You will be more than "fine". You will be the "heart and pulse" of another radio show...or, who knows, maybe a Sunday House party television show. You will be given a beautiful gift this Christmas season... a better opportunity. Always keep your humor, wit, intelligence, and warmth. Your fans, including me, will follow you to a new radio (or television) station. You are in my thoughts today, and I feel very disappointed by the news. But, you will be the new blood at a new station soon...
Joanna Leone

Stamford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2007

jlb wrote:
its ok guys ill be fine i just want everyone to know ... i have a crush on tim quinn :>)~
I do not think the large following of women (including me) wanted to hear about your crush on Tim Quinn. ; )
Joanna Leone

Stamford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2007

Hey Connecticut Sam, my single heart belongs to john labarca. sorry, i am sure you are nice, but no one compares to JLB.
Connecticut Sam

Wolcott, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2007

Hey, Joanna
You are breaking my heart. I got nice blue eyes.
Serious, I feel real bad for JLB.
Especially getting fire at this time of year.
But, why was he fired?
john labarka

Bound Brook, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2007

Joanna Leone wrote:
Hey Connecticut Sam, my single heart belongs to john labarca. sorry, i am sure you are nice, but no one compares to JLB.
yeah bud out connecticut sam im workin it here
joanna leone

Stamford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2007

John--

I am logging off the computer now, but I want to say, "╚ Natale e sarÓ magico per voi. Qualcosa volontÓ pi¨ importante venire avanti.Quando un portello si chiude, altro si apre.
"Christmas will be magical for you. Something more important will come along. When one door closes, another one opens...
I do not have any phones to answer tomorrow...what will I do? That was the shortest volunteer work I ever did...:)
joanna leone

Stamford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2007

Connecticut Sam wrote:
Hey, Joanna
You are breaking my heart. I got nice blue eyes.
Serious, I feel real bad for JLB.
Especially getting fire at this time of year.
But, why was he fired?
I have no idea why he was fired. Do I seem like that Italian detective Columbo or Barreta to you? All I can say is that someone at WICC made a terrible decision, one that will cost them, big time...Sometimes people make decisions that we will not understand, especially to a talented person like John. I do not know, but he probably will end up in television
jlb

Bound Brook, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2007

you know thay should get rid of the guy that does the news and sounds like hes choking he gags its kinda gross as you eat and hear this guy chocking on his own flem.. and i love how that guy gets all pissed off when you call before he asked the question during a contest i think its fixed
Anthony D

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2007

WICC is not on my dial anymore.
Real people on the air like John can't be replaced.
Its another ERA gone by....
we need a funeral as something special has died.
LONG LIVE JLB
J Toma

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2007

I will likely not listen to WICC morning show anymore, I have woken up to JLB and his show for many years. It was not the same all this week. JLB was the most entertaining.
He was real and honest and will be missed until some better radio station picks him up.
LMRD

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2007

Personally, I love Brian Smith!! I think he did a great job in the morning when he had to fill in. Listening to JLB go on and on ...uggg.. I won't miss him. Remember there are two sides to every story. There had to be a very good reason the powers that be decided to let him go. I'm sure JLB doesn't want the real truth printed in the newspaper.
Carolina

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2007

JLB's morning show got me through the horrific commute from Stratford to Stamford every day. God bless JLB. He was real. He was my morning cup of coffee. This is a huge loss for his fans, or should I say, friends. I wish him greater things. Keep the faith, John. This too shall pass.
radionut

Wallingford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2007

I once attended a WICC focus group and this is clearly a response to what the general public wanted. The Family Breakfast Show had become an unlistenable product. Quinn rushes through the news and sports(I can't stand how he lists the teams and THEN says they "all won" so I've forgotten who he mentioned). WHy does he talk so fast? To get to the traffic report, which is always the same story anyway -- congestion on I-95 through Fairfield, congestion on the Merritt from Trumbull through the No exit zone. Then we get a ton of local ads from the same companies every day. Then LaBarca does his usual trivia question to plug some local movie theater or upcoming show at the Arena. Then it's more plugs with that Treeland guy, pet doctor, and plumbing guy. LaBarca's glory comes during the winter when he can read the laundry list of school closings over and over again (the same information is much easier to access online at ctweather.com ). WICC knew it was about time for a change -- let's just hope they make it worth this negative publicity and poor timing of LaBarca's firing.
sos

Hebron, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2007

hang in there
Grinch WICC

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2007

We final have a decent program on Sunday, The Italian House Party with music that brings joy to many of us Italians and you screw it up !!!!!
Typical Corporate America thinking.... JLB has a heart of gold and gave us hours of joy on Sunday.
My mother who came here from Italy after the World War 2 would sit and smile and sing along and would always say how much she loved Johnny. Mr. Labarca had my mother on his show and the week she died, he took time out to call her !
What's the matter, JLB would bend over to Corporate??? I'm sure he'll be snatched up in no time by another station. i've listened to your station faithfully NOT ANYMORE........so WICC...you've taught me a lesson:
THERE IS NO LOYALTY IN CORPORATE AMERICA !
Shame on you !
Grinch WICC

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2007

jlb wrote:
how do we find Johnny LaBarca now???? To his personal friends: please tell him I'm so grateful to him for years of joy he gave my mother. God will help me, he has so many friends and his talent is a gift! WICC is the loser.......
Buona Natale Mr. Labarca and God Bless.
Giovanna

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of341
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Bridgeport Forum right now

Search the Bridgeport Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Finch's smart investments 38 min BPT 1
Bridgeport only movie theater is closing 48 min BPT 5
Tim Quinn out at WICC (Feb '09) 1 hr JusticeOnTheJob 241
Come See 10 New Babies At The Beardsley Zoo 14 hr Nulli Secundus 5
Tinted Windows Draw Concerns in Milford 14 hr Nulli Secundus 2
Stfd. deputy police chief to retire (Dec '08) Tue Jolene 2,420
Woman Who Tried To Cash $4,000 Check Faces Forg... Tue Sir Samuel 1
•••
•••