Letter: Voter apathy to blame for lat...

Letter: Voter apathy to blame for late budget

There are 10 comments on the Chico Enterprise-Record story from Sep 18, 2008, titled Letter: Voter apathy to blame for late budget. In it, Chico Enterprise-Record reports that:

One by one they left the sodden Hitchin' Post Package Store like a boozy bucket brigade - four generations of the DeVillier family schlepping muddy plastic laundry baskets full of clinking liquor bottles.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chico Enterprise-Record.

juanita sumner

Chico, CA

#1 Sep 18, 2008
The governor did the right thing - that budget was a dog.

I'm not sure who you consider "working class," but my family, who lives on less than $40,000 a year that we make by working, would have had to pay more self-employment tax. We already pay enough, and we don't get the services we pay for.

State workers make two to three times the median income. I hope they enjoy a taste of the working class life - I hardly consider state workers to be working class folks.
Don

Chico, CA

#2 Sep 18, 2008
Let me see if I got this right. The legislators we have now were the result of some voter turn out, but not all voters. Your statement about low voter turn out is that if more people voted, we would get a different group of legislators. The people who DID vote were in some form educated (no doubt mostly by TV). The people who didn't vote didn't do so for a plethora of reasons all saying, "I don't care." So we take the vote of the 'educated' minority who voted last time and add the vote of the apathetic- now we have an intelligent electorate? You got your lines crossed. You have three issues going on at once and they don't come close to fitting together.
john

Chico, CA

#3 Sep 18, 2008
Blame the budget problems on where the blame really is folks, it's called "OVER SPENDING", helloooooooo,
plain and simple,,,,
Don

Chico, CA

#4 Sep 18, 2008
john wrote:
Blame the budget problems on where the blame really is folks, it's called "OVER SPENDING", helloooooooo,
plain and simple,,,,
Incredible oversimplification. What budget problems are you talking about. Is overspending the cause of the budget impasse we have now? hellnooooooo

“An Erudite Hillbilly”

Since: Mar 08

Lake Oroville, CA

#5 Sep 18, 2008
It's the government "spend it or lose it, and spend it quicker to get more next year" mentality that is to blame for the budget issues. Many of those same workers that are experiencing issues are reaping what they sew. They can also thank their unions, and the people that their unions tell them to blindly vote for. I'm glad I had too much of a work ethic to stay in a government job (both union, and management.)
Tired of Stupidity

United States

#6 Sep 18, 2008
john wrote:
plain and simple,,,,
Nope!
Blame the people who keep voting for these guys!
Oh, you voted for the OTHER major-party candidate?
then blame yourself!!
YOU thought there was a difference.
woodchuk

Courtland, CA

#7 Sep 18, 2008
The problem is the low minimum requirement to be in Congress. I don't even think you need a high school diploma if you are elected. Like any job, the candidate should have a minimum BA degree in Political Science or Economics,(not Business Administration, we have enough of those) some related job experience and honest references, like you would if you applied for any decent job.
I have a friend who is a Washington lobbyist, and I joked to him that if I won the lottery I could buy a seat in Congress. He said I wouldn't need all that much, he thought 500K would be more than enough to obtain a good seat. A million buys you chairmanship on a committee, which he recommended as a great investment....true story.
Tired of Stupidity

United States

#8 Sep 19, 2008
woodchuk wrote:
The problem is the low minimum requirement to be in Congress. I don't even think you need a high school diploma if you are elected. Like any job, the candidate should have a minimum BA degree in Political Science or Economics,(not Business Administration, we have enough of those) some related job experience and honest references, like you would if you applied for any decent job.
I have a friend who is a Washington lobbyist, and I joked to him that if I won the lottery I could buy a seat in Congress. He said I wouldn't need all that much, he thought 500K would be more than enough to obtain a good seat. A million buys you chairmanship on a committee, which he recommended as a great investment....true story.
You're confusing an expansive CV with integrity.
Bill Clinton was a Rhodes Scholar .....
Once again, the fault belongs to every voter who foolishly believes the major parties have integrity.
Don

Chico, CA

#9 Sep 19, 2008
Tired of Stupidity wrote:
<quoted text>
You're confusing an expansive CV with integrity.
Bill Clinton was a Rhodes Scholar .....
Once again, the fault belongs to every voter who foolishly believes the major parties have integrity.
Bush Got a master's degree from Yale!
Tired of Stupidity

United States

#10 Sep 19, 2008
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
Bush Got a master's degree from Yale!
Another EXCELLENT example!
Thank you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bridge City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Did hate and racial intolerance murder Alfred W... (Feb '14) 15 hr red dawn 12
Vidor is a horrible trashy place (Jun '12) Thu Citichic 35
Vidor Music Thread (Sep '13) Thu Musikologist 13
News Confederate monument near MLK Jr. Drive in East... Dec 4 red dawn 4
Pelicana Chicken Background Check Nov 25 Hank 2
ISO rental Nov 22 house_hunting 1
Nikki's Lounge Nov 20 oilfield winner 1

Bridge City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bridge City Mortgages