Marrero shooting proves to be fatal

A Bridge City man has died after he was shot Friday night in Marrero. Vincent Joseph Barthelomew, 18, died at Elmwood Medical Center on Saturday afternoon after he was shot at 7:05 p.m. Friday in the 1600 block ... Full Story
Ben Meredith

United States

#1 Jan 24, 2007
It's a shame at how drugs, murder, high school dropping out, and violence have ruined the Black community in Marrero, Louisiana.

Even though I was born in New Orleans, grew up in Marrero as a youngster before my moma moved away, it's a shame to read about the murders, how the black guys "went bad", became drug dealers and killers.

Their parents don't have better control over the kids, while they participate in a known drug business, don't graduate at West Jefferson, Higgins High Schools, and so on, and become nothing more than the neighborhood drug dealer and killer.

It's so sad to see a Black community kill each other, making you a person who could never speak to any of them, associate with them, ever.

If the parents had better control over their kids, forced them to get education, a job, marry, not have babies when they aren't married, the entire area, including Baccola St., where last night's murder occured at 7:30pm, as well as the neighboring streets of Lincoln, Silver Lilly, Betty, Julie, Acre, Garden Road, Marshall, Cohen, Carmadelle, Jefferson Place, King, and Martin, wouldn't be such a bad place.

The parents should force their kids to attend church on Sundays, get baptized, get God in their lives, so they know not to be the killer, because it's in the Bible, "thou shall not kill".

That's what make Marrero, Louisiana such a bad place.
Ben Meredith

United States

#2 Jan 24, 2007
It's a shame at how drugs, murder, dropping out of high school, and violence have ruined the Black community in Marrero, Louisiana.

Even though I was born in New Orleans, grew up in Marrero as a youngster before my moma moved away, it's a shame to read about the murders, how the black guys "went bad", became drug dealers and killers.

Their parents don't have better control over the kids, while they participate in a known drug business, don't graduate at West Jefferson, Higgins High Schools, and so on, and become nothing more than the neighborhood drug dealer and killer.

It's so sad to see a Black community kill each other, making you a person who could never speak to any of them, associate with them, ever.

If the parents had better control over their kids, forced them to get education, a job, marry, not have babies when they aren't married, the entire area, including Baccola St., where last night's murder occured at 7:30pm, as well as the neighboring streets of Lincoln, Silver Lilly, Betty, Julie, Acre, Garden Road, Marshall, Cohen, Carmadelle, Jefferson Place, King, and Martin, wouldn't be such a bad place.

The parents should force their kids to attend church on Sundays, get baptized, get God in their lives, so they know not to be the killer, because it's in the Bible,"thou shall not kill".

That's what makes Marrero, Louisiana such a bad place
Niaja Vicks

Luling, LA

#3 Feb 5, 2007
Fiest of all Vincent is my cousin!!! My cousin was not a bad person the thing that took his ife was being in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was not a bad person and he was very respectful!!! If anyone has something diffrent to say my e-mail is QuestionableLove@yahoo.com
Rev Vapor

Marrero, LA

#4 Apr 29, 2007
The violence in this area will not stop until they address the alcohol problem here.

This place is OWNED by alcohol, its no doubt there's more killing and raping done here. Thats what alcohol does.
REALLY

Houston, TX

#5 May 1, 2007
I ACTUALLY LIVE IN MARRERO AND THE CRIME HERE IS HORRIBLE. THE DRUGS, ALCOHOL, KIDS RUNNING THE STREETS--WHERE'S THE PARENTS--SO MUCH OF THIS CRIME COMES FROM YOUNG TEENAGERS WHERE ARE THE PARENTS AGAIN I MUST SAY THIS--WHEN THE KIDS ARE HANGING OUT ON AMES ECT.....LATE NIGHTS
WHERE ARE THE PARENTS? HOLD THEM ACOUNTABLE--KEEP THESE TEENS OUT OF THE SYSTAM AND IN SCHOOL--SHOW THEM THERE IS A WHOLE WORLD OUT THERE FOR THEM.
Momof3

Harvey, LA

#6 Jun 2, 2007
I live in Marrero.I live where you can let your children play outside with a friend.I keep up with my sons friends.They are good kids.Not all Marrero is bad.Im speaking of Bent tree Sub.safe here.I think it is sad to give All Marrero a bad rap.I think people should look at themselves as a Human not a enemy.Change your thinking.The world could be a safer and better place.You wouldn't want someone to hurt you are do these thing to your family.So stop and THINK before you do anything.Make life better for you and the world.Thanks.
Marreromama

Westwego, LA

#7 Sep 21, 2007
I also live in a nice neighborhood in Marrero. Pretty safe. Clean. It's not all bad. Our kids all play outside on our street. Our biggest problem is people speeding down the street.
Candypaper

Marrero, LA

#8 Dec 26, 2008
Ben you should be the one to talk, give me a break.
Candypaper

Marrero, LA

#9 Dec 26, 2008
Ben, You should be the one to talk, please give me a break.
VJ Nanny

Luling, LA

#10 Jan 27, 2009
i'm sorry that you did not know VJ. He was truly a wonderful young man. He was mistaken for someone else. He was raised in a church, he did come from a good family, and we still miss him. No one has the right to take the life of another. He was just going to the store. God Bless you Ben I hope your children are safe, and never have to leave your home for any reason, because your child, your family, or you, may be a victim also of a random shooting. Think before you write and obtain facts. BE BLESSED........
Nu-bee

New Orleans, LA

#11 Apr 8, 2009
VJ was my cousin and he WAS DEFINITLY NOT a bad person. He was a joy to all that met him and more like a brother than a cousin. He was not a drug dealer, a thug, he had never even gotten a speeding ticket. Some whacked out junkie stole something that was so precious to our family over bullshit. And FYI Ben, my cousin was brought up in church [like all of us], and took care of his grandmother. Maybe, before you judge, you should have some facts, and not lump one person in with the rest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bridge City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Leader Of New Orleans' VA Healthcare System... 10 hr Bob 2
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Thu Bently 19,568
Review: Silk Road Restaurant Dec 23 Rahmanz1952 1
anyone know tim terry? (Jun '12) Dec 19 wannabenlonde76 9
Review: Proficient Driving Academy (Jul '09) Dec 16 concerned one 21
Houston-area police given $1.9M for body cameras Dec 15 rocketman 2
Melvin Ephfus Steele Jul '14 christywix 1

Flood Watch for Jefferson Parish was issued at December 26 at 4:03AM CST

Bridge City Dating
Find my Match