A tragic ending | The Columbus Dispatch

A tragic ending | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 14 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Nov 19, 2010, titled A tragic ending | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

With information provided by the attorneys of suspect Matthew J. Hoffman, law-enforcement officials yesterday found the bodies of Tina Herrmann; her son, Kody Maynard; and family friend Stephanie Sprang in a hollow tree in the Kokosing Lake Wildlife Area, many miles from where searchers had been looking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Pictures

Columbus, OH

#1 Nov 19, 2010
I think the names on the pictures are wrong.
bigdaddy

Columbus, OH

#3 Nov 19, 2010
why is this sick SOB going to even be put on trial.. the police should let him go, and go to lunch. there are alot of people that would save the state alot of money and do the job for free
lee

Lexington, SC

#5 Nov 19, 2010
Thoughts and prayers to family and friends.And may GOD have mercy on the soul of the guilty.
alexis engle

Lockbourne, OH

#7 Nov 19, 2010
this is just sad and what i dont get is that the little girl is still alive and that the others are dead??!!?!?!?!
buckylvr

Sunbury, OH

#8 Nov 19, 2010
Pictures wrote:
I think the names on the pictures are wrong.
The names are correct!
Nana

Columbus, OH

#10 Nov 19, 2010
What don't you get? He stalked her, she is the one he wanted, not them, so he killed them to keep her!
alexis engle wrote:
this is just sad and what i dont get is that the little girl is still alive and that the others are dead??!!?!?!?!
Nana

Columbus, OH

#11 Nov 19, 2010
What is truly sad here is that if he made a deal with them for life in prison, to give up where the bodies were found, then he won't get the death penalty, which is what he deserves. He does not deserve to live after what he has done to these families! What gives him the right to live? I hope he rots in hell.
Chuck

Delphos, OH

#12 Nov 19, 2010
What I want to know is how did he dump her truck in Gambier?
On 11-11-10 Hoffman was "seen in his parked car near where the truck was found and speaks to a deputy.", according to the dispatch.

How did he get both vehicles there if he was acting alone?

I think there's still one out there.
Be careful folks!
cynic

Westerville, OH

#13 Nov 19, 2010
The person responsible for this has no redeeming social value. It would be another tragedy to lock up the person for lifetime and provide support at taxpayer expense. Sometimes the death penalty is the solution, and the sooner the better. If not, our august court system and bleeding heart defense purveyors will find a way to seek parole at some future date.
Pictures

Columbus, OH

#14 Nov 19, 2010
buckylvr wrote:
<quoted text>
The names are correct!
Ok. I've seen pictures all week that had the 2 women's names backwards then. Thanks! Such a sad time...
HAHAHAHAHA

United States

#15 Nov 19, 2010
This story is simply awful. Let's hear from all the Hoffman sympathizers who ripped me the other day for saying he should've gotten a steeper sentence for the arson... what ya got to say now???

Since: Jun 09

Columbus, OH

#16 Nov 19, 2010
These three lives were lost when the Knox County Sheriff refused to enter the house on the first day of the kidnappings.
PSL_Holder

Chillicothe, OH

#17 Nov 19, 2010
Very sad story.
Only thing is that in prison those that injure kids are not treated well. So even if he does just get life, there will be justice done by his fellow inmates.
Not so fast my friend

Greenville, SC

#18 Nov 19, 2010
1. murderers like this act alone - always, unless it's organized crime related, which this clearly is not.

2. unlikely anyone but sarah was alive when the family was "taken" from their home. probably killed the others as efficiently as possible (gun) or perhaps killed one (maybe even family dog) as a sign that he meant business and then took the others with him, with threats of their lives. he premeditated this, plain and simple and wouldn't have risked the possibility of escape by trying to cart around living people.

3. I believe he intended to make it appear that sarah was dead too with his hiding spot for the bodies. with the presumption of her death, a massive search would die down, in time. He wanted her for his perverted whims.

4. pretty solid plan, but was obviously sloppy with the details - however this receipt was discovered and by acting like a whacko. Oh well, whacko is as whacko does.

5. I think preserving a life such as his is more valuable than the death penalty. He needs to be studied to understand his motives and thought process so that we can learn to prevent the creation of these monsters.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brice Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Deal with the Devil 15 min Big Johnson 32
AN ODE TO billary! 23 min Big Johnson 3
Man shot near Ferguson protest….. 1 hr d pants 216
Hey Big Johnson! 1 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 7
News Jeni's production kitchen is back, but with a n... 1 hr Big Johnson 1
Obama and share the wealth? 1 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 9
News Group raising funds to set up kosher pantry at ... 6 hr Doc 39
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brice Mortgages