Retrofit city's 'inner-ring' areas, planner says

Full story: DispatchPolitics

Because of its aggressive annexation policies, Columbus is home to many neighborhoods that in other metro areas would be declining inner-ring suburbs.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6

Since: Jun 09

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2009

Judged:

LOL! suburban sprawl sucks!
columbus native

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2009

Judged:

The city of Columbus has only itself to blame for the demise of the Brice-Tussing area. Original zoning of the area allowed inadequate access to the over-zoned commercial sites due to poor road layout and a badly designed I-70 interchange. The area will never be able to handle traffic adequately. And city of Columbus planners are doing the same thing to Gender Road. Over-zoned commercial and multi-family housing and badly planned roads have lead to the same mess as Brice-Tussing, just further south this time. Columbus just tries to cram as many businesses and renters into an area to maximize city income tax revenue and does not care about long-term consequences.
Matt

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2009

Funny a thoughtful article and almost nobody comments on it.....

Now if we could blame Obama (or Bush) we'd see a hundred coments by now!

This is an interesting problem but falls into the trap that surrounds most City and Regional Planning in teh States - how does a governmental agency direct development in a free economy without hacking off one side or the other. A Catch 22

M
Ralan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2009

I agree w/ Cols Native. Here on the North side, the City granted TIF money to Polaris while Morse Rd/ 161 dies. The city 'robbed Peter to pay Paul' when they gave the Polaris Developers tax incentives. Now they are 'robbing the taxpayer' to fix the up the declining areas that resulted.
JRK

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2009

Very interesting article that provides a glimmer of hope for the renewal of urban communities. Columbus and a tremendous opportunity to be a leader moving back to the concepts that made some of our declining neighborhoods vital and vibrant decades ago. The idea of a community made up of villages with access to services, shops, and entertainment is a model that went out of vogue in favor of commercial centers surrounded by high density housing. The idea of moving back to urban design that facilitates real neighborhoods is exciting.
Matt

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2009

Polaris didn't kill off teh Northland area - entirely. Easton pulled alot of teh traffic and businesses to thier new area.

One thing I have learned in teh last 10 years or so is that shopping areas both live and die. Northland died as a result of new shopping areas that had better access to regional traffic. An enclosed mall wouldn't work as a neighborhood shopping destination. The demographics also changed in teh area - not making any comments but when the most news from teh area is a local businessman who was shot in his store, near where I grew up and lived, it is not an attractive destination for people outside the neighborhood to shop.

The Northand area is a testing ground to see if a declining neighborhood can be turned around before it is too far gone. But blaming a single entity for a decline is too simplistic, lots of things drive a neighborhoods health.

M

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Brice Discussions

Search the Brice Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
why is chelsea clinton so ugly? 7 min Buckeye at birth 15
Who downed MH 370? 12 min Duke for Mayor 3
Congress Cost FYI 18 min BizzyBee 4
Is Nevada rancher a freeloader? 26 min Buckeye at birth 137
Review: Buckeye Auto Tint 27 min Big Johnson 7
Late funding, lack of permits cancel stop in Co... 35 min Big Johnson 2
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 41 min Smitty 1,963
•••
•••
•••
•••

Brice Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Brice People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance