Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

The State Department has announced that it's sending the assistant secretary of state for international organization affairs to ... Minneapolis, Minnesota. The government official, Esther Brimmer, will meet with "local human rights and refugee advocates."
State Department

"Assistant Secretary of State for International Organization Affairs Esther Brimmer will travel to Minneapolis, Minnesota, November 19 where she will be hosted by Congressman Keith Ellison (D-MN) and participate in a series of discussions with civil society organizations on U.S. multilateral engagement," the State Department's press release reads. "During her trip, Assistant Secretary Brimmer will participate in a roundtable discussion on human rights at the Center for Changing Lives with Congressman Ellison, local human rights and refugee advocates, and local and state government officials. Later in the day, Assistant Secretary Brimmer and Congressman Ellison will participate in a roundtable discussion on food security issues hosted by the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy, a non-profit research and advocacy organization that promotes sustainable food, farm, and trade systems."

The press release is written in the same way an announcement for a trip abroad would be described. Except Brimmer is only going to Minnesota.

"While in Minneapolis, Assistant Secretary Brimmer will also meet with Eric Schwartz, Dean of the Humphrey School and former Assistant Secretary for the Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration, and students at the University of Minnesota’s Humphrey Graduate School for Public Affairs," the press release reads.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/state-dep...

Since: Sep 12

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Assistant Secretary of State for International Organization Affairs Esther Brimmer will travel to Minneapolis, Minnesota, November 19 where she will be hosted by Congressman Keith Ellison (D-MN) and participate in a series of discussions with civil society organizations on U.S. multilateral engagement. During her trip, Assistant Secretary Brimmer will participate in a roundtable discussion on human rights at the Center for Changing Lives with Congressman Ellison, local human rights and refugee advocates, and local and state government officials. Later in the day, Assistant Secretary Brimmer and Congressman Ellison will participate in a roundtable discussion on food security issues hosted by the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy, a non-profit research and advocacy organization that promotes sustainable food, farm, and trade systems.

While in Minneapolis, Assistant Secretary Brimmer will also meet with Eric Schwartz, Dean of the Humphrey School and former Assistant Secretary for the Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration, and students at the University of Minnesota’s Humphrey Graduate School for Public Affairs.
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2012/11/2006...

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Why refugees stay and more come, is that Minnesota, like Maine, provides handsome welfare programs.

But the Somalis have largely stayed, somewhere around 30,000 of them, partially because of the strength of the non-governmental VOLAGS, and partially because of the strength of governmental programs to help refugees begin a new life, according to Samatar.[Note how delicately this is worded, LOL!, "strength of governmental programs."---ed]

After the first wave is assigned here, the second wave of relatives and friends soon followed.

“As Somalis settle down, find a life, the good news spreads:‘Hey this is a good place, you can find a life here,’” said Samatar.

Over the past 25 years, the United States has admitted about 84,000 Somali refugees [they've got that figure about right, but they don't include all those who got in through other immigration programs or who came in illegally and have disappeared---ed]. Close to 40 percent live in Minnesota.

“The institutions of this state, private or public, have an important place in the mind of Somalis,” he noted.
http://refugeeresettlementwatch.wordpress.com...

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

I live in the Seward neighborhood of Minneapolis, which is immediately adjacent to the Cedar Riverside neighborhood where the majority of the Somali population lives. We also have high-rise public housing that is predominantly Somali, along with many Somali businesses and the main public elementary school serving the Somali population. I regularly take my child to play in parks where we are the only non-Somali people, shop in the halal markets, and try to keep up with issues of importance to the Somali community by following the local and national websites catering to the Somali Diaspora (i.e. Bartamaha, Hiiraan, Camel Milk Threads…). All in all I would say that as an outsider I have about as much exposure to the Somali population as possible without being a social worker.

And I must say that I am very worried by what I see.

While many Somalis are hard working, law abiding, good citizens, there appears to be a significant percentage who maintain their clan ties and animosities, make no attempt at integrating themselves into the general population, and are prone to violence. Some of the violence is Somali vs. Somali- for example the triple murder at the Seward Market in 2010 and the daytime shooting a few weeks ago on Franklin Ave. But a lot of it is more akin to the piracy which takes place off the Somali coast: gangs of Somalis have been mugging area bicyclists for years and the trail that follows the light rail. Residents of Minneapolis will also likely remember the youtube video posted by young Somali gangsters a year or two back showing them assaulting random pedestrians and bicyclists with no apparent motive other than laughs.

In addition to the violence, there seems to be other major “quality of life” issue with the Somali population. For example, rampant littering, uninsured driving, treatment of Somali women as chattel and sex slaves by the men, welfare fraud. Even little actions show great disrespect: II can say honestly that every person I have seen but into a line in the last few years has been a young Somali.

While it would be worrying enough that there is a group in the state with this apparent love of violence and disrespect of social conventions, what makes me even more scared is the growth of the community. Although I have never been able to find any firm numbers, it appears that the local Somali community is maintaining the fertility rate of their homeland- somewhere around 5 or 6 kids per family. And likewise- although official numbers are not available a huge percentage of the Somali population relies on public money and social services for almost every facet of their lives (i.e. subsidized housing, food stamps, use of our public county hospital…). Honestly, I do not see how Minnesota (and Minneapolis/Hennepin County in particular) will be able to support this population in the future. And if public support ever goes away, the muggings seem sure to get even more frequent.

I welcome the fact that CBS opened a comment section on this story. Our local papers, the Star Tribune and the Pioneer Press will almost never allow comments on articles related to the Somali community, and when they do the comments are heavily censored.
http://refugeeresettlementwatch.wordpress.com...
Blue Cab Thieves

Galena, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Why can't they all "GO HOME" to their own country?

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Blue Cab Thieves wrote:
Careful, the "progressives" will call you a racist for having the right idea.
George HW Bush, Bill Clinton and Catholic Charities own this nightmare. And I say that as a Catholic and a two time Poppy Bush voter.
Karl

Brunswick, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Blue Cab Thieves wrote:
Because Al Franken wants to stay in the Senate
Blue Cab Thieves

Galena, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Cleavon Little wrote:
<quoted text>Careful, the "progressives" will call you a racist for having the right idea.
George HW Bush, Bill Clinton and Catholic Charities own this nightmare. And I say that as a Catholic and a two time Poppy Bush voter.
Oh no, are you serious?
Blue Cab Thieves

Galena, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Cleavon Little wrote:
<quoted text>Very serious. It all stated when Poppy Bush decided to do a little "legacy building" in his final two months in office after losing to Clinton. Feeding skinny, yet unappreciative, Africans apparently makes politicians feel all warm and fuzzy as well as providing a chapter for the memoirs.
George H.W. Bush?

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Blue Cab Thieves wrote:
<quoted text>
George H.W. Bush?
Yep, the old man.
hmm

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Cleavon Little wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, the old man.
That's "President Bush" to you. Show some respect.
hmm

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Cleavon Little wrote:
<quoted text> Feeding skinny, yet unappreciative, Africans apparently makes politicians feel all warm and fuzzy as well as providing a chapter for the memoirs.
Please refrain from disrespecting Africans. Their size and body frame type is by evolutionary design to allow for efficient dissipation of body heat in Africa's hot climate. Your description of them being unappreciative is without merit and based upon nothing more than your racist and subjective opinion.

Karl

Brunswick, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

hmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Please refrain from disrespecting Africans. Their size and body frame type is by evolutionary design to allow for efficient dissipation of body heat in Africa's hot climate. Your description of them being unappreciative is without merit and based upon nothing more than your racist and subjective opinion.
They killed 19 of our soldiers. That equates to being unappreciative.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

hmm wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean Africans don't need the billions in US food aid they receive?
Let's start spending cuts with that item.
hmm

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Karl wrote:
<quoted text>
They killed 19 of our soldiers. That equates to being unappreciative.
Oh I understand now. Anyone who kills someone else for any reason is unappreciative. Thanks for clarifying that.
hmm

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Cleavon Little wrote:
<quoted text>Somalis are animals.
Xenophobic racist.
notlocal

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

hmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I understand now. Anyone who kills someone else for any reason is unappreciative. Thanks for clarifying that.
Not exactly in all murders, but in these 19, unappreciative and savage. I say withdraw our money, all aide and our troops.

As for the ones here, cut the welfare and deport quickly for any slight infridgement on our laws. How does a non citizen get a business license?

Other cities, get your immigration laws in order and do not make it comfortable for them.
notlocal

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean Africans don't need the billions in US food aid they receive?
Let's start spending cuts with that item.
May not be popular, but I am all for starting the spending cuts at the foreign aide level. Who are we kidding anyway. We're broke.
Karl

Brunswick, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

hmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Xenophobic racist.
The foreigners are now running this nation
sidekick

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

hmm wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the buckteeth and chrome-dome foreheads for, Jack Hanna?
And..Do they smell bad to ward off pig's?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Brice Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Brice People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••