A $3,000 disgrace

A $3,000 disgrace

There are 8 comments on the The Journal News story from Jan 17, 2006, titled A $3,000 disgrace. In it, The Journal News reports that:

We gave the Putnam County Sheriff's Office the benefit of the doubt after it arrested eight men on a charge of third-degree criminal trespass, a misdemeanor, after they were playing soccer on a school ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Journal News.

Amy

New Britain, CT

#1 Jan 17, 2006
It is amazing that you would be upset with the fact that someone has a $3,000 bail .. but, not concerned all that much with the fact that children go that school and these men (not boys) were trespassing!.. My daughter goes to Garden Street and I want them to be 100% safe.
Judy

Yonkers, NY

#2 Jan 18, 2006
What none of the bleeding hearts realize is as long as we allow illegal immigrants to be used as a source of cheap labor, they will be denied living wages, workers compensation should they be injured on the job and not able to care for themselves, a health care policy for themselves and their families and so much more. As we continue to segregate them from the mainstream we breed a population of discontent. You only have to look at what happend to the non-integrated populations in France to see our future.

Allowing illegal immigrants to remain is bad for them and bad for our country economically as we, the taxpayer pick up so much of the burden.
Amanda

Somers, NY

#3 Jan 18, 2006
Why is it not a disgrace that long time residents of Brewster are harassed by "day laborers" as they walk down Main Street? Is it not a disgrace that in the short distance from the village train station to the parking lot one's safety is compromised by lurking strangers and far off whistling? Perhaps the true disgrace is that my ancestors came to this country, followed the law, and spoke the language to earn their rights as a citizen, where such "day laborers" have more rights than any common citizen of this great town!
mike

Palo Alto, CA

#4 Jan 18, 2006
Amanda wrote:
Why is it not a disgrace that long time residents of Brewster are harassed by "day laborers" as they walk down Main Street? Is it not a disgrace that in the short distance from the village train station to the parking lot one's safety is compromised by lurking strangers and far off whistling? Perhaps the true disgrace is that my ancestors came to this country, followed the law, and spoke the language to earn their rights as a citizen, where such "day laborers" have more rights than any common citizen of this great town!
Eh? Okay, I'll take the bait... how exactly do the "day laborers" have more rights than the "common citizens" in your town?

Maybe I just don't know the backstory, but a $3,000 bail for playing soccer at a school does seem a bit high (especially given that the judge knows that the man won't be able to pay). I'm not sure you'd all be thrilled if your husband and your son/daughter went to play catch at the school, and your husband was arrested and put in jail for 30 days for "trespassing"...
Joe

United States

#5 Feb 7, 2006
It sounds to me that you think bail is a punishment. This is not the case. Bail is simply used as a guarantee that the accused will come to his court appearance.
Kerrie

Hurleyville, NY

#6 Feb 22, 2006
[quote/Maybe I just don't know the backstory, but a $3,000 bail for playing soccer at a school does seem a bit high (especially given that the judge knows that the man won't be able to pay). I'm not sure you'd all be thrilled if your husband and your son/daughter went to play catch at the school, and your husband was arrested and put in jail for 30 days for "trespassing"...quot e]

I am sure her husband and her son for that matter would have been able to READ the "No Tresspassing" signs that were posted. This is the excuse that is being used.
Your Honor...my clients do not know how to read english so how can you punish them???
Give me a break! They are here illegally..end of story!
Jack Lord

Mesquite, NV

#7 Aug 1, 2008
This sound like a real dangerous crime
do you think ?
How about getting some of the drug dealer off the streets ?
Or how about arresting people for J-walking ?
Get REAL !!!
omgcar

Chicago, IL

#8 Oct 8, 2008
Tresspassing in our country. That should be enough to arrest them and deport them. Judge? Call INS, and save the taxpayers some money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brewster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old Wildwood Dude Ranch Brewster, NY on Millto... (Apr '10) Mar '16 Gail Granelli Quirin 27
Clay Tiffany Being Evicted (Aug '10) Mar '16 sfgnskgjngskjkj 35
News Wanted Purdys man 'violently' resists arrest, t... (Jul '14) Feb '16 Tony 18
Looking to Move! Feb '16 mjb1985dot 1
(.R ox y Bulk!!) ku*sh !! Jan '16 Manordelivery 1
Question About an Old Property -- Terry Hill Rd... (Sep '07) Jan '16 Carmelborn 3
Who believes May 21, this year is judgment day? (Mar '11) Dec '15 Julie 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brewster Mortgages