Half-mile no-sex-offender zone approv...

Half-mile no-sex-offender zone approved in Putnam

There are 14 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 28, 2007, titled Half-mile no-sex-offender zone approved in Putnam. In it, Newsday reports that:

Putnam County will soon have one of the toughest child safety zone laws in New York state _ a law that opponents say essentially bans convicted sex offenders from setting foot in the county.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

David H

United States

#1 Mar 28, 2007
Putnam County should have paid attention to a recent case in Georgia. These are my words:

Thoughts on the Murder of a Little Boy

by Rev. Dr. C. David Hess
New York State Representative of SOhopeful International
[email protected]

I am a church pastor and also a member of the Board of Directors of SOhopeful International, a group which advocates for effective sex offender laws based on fact rather than myth and hysteria. SOhopeful’s membership is largely made up of registered sex offenders and their families. Our efforts usually fall on deaf ears. The fact, contrary to myth, that the vast majority of registered sex offenders do not repeat their crimes does not seem to matter. The fact that the vast majority of new sex crimes are committed by individuals who are not on a sex offender registry does not seem to matter.

I just read the news that they have discovered the murdered body of 6 year old Christopher Michael Barrios in Brunswick, Georgia. He had been missing for a week. The police chief said a registered sex offender and three other suspects would probably be charged with his murder.

My first reactions are purely emotional. I am filled with rage at those who did this to this little boy. I would like to torture them. My second reaction is fear. Such murders usually result in more harassment of registered sex offenders and calls for harsher laws.

This time it might be different. This latest tragic murder has an arresting wrinkle. Little Christopher’s father is also on Georgia’s sex offender registry. He was convicted of statutory rape in 1997 when he was at least 23.

Georgia has some of the harshest sex offender laws in the country. Last summer they enacted a law which proponents said would banish sex offenders from the entire state. They are only the most extreme version of laws that are becoming commonplace all over the nation. Not only did the restrictive Georgia laws not protect this child, they may have endangered him. Such laws push offenders to the edges of society. All research shows that it is at the margins of society where the real monsters dwell. The primary responsibility for this evil deed lies with the perpetrators, but let there be no mistake, society plays a role in creating these monsters.

The father being a registered sex offender creates an emotional and moral dilemma for everyone. Society’s usual stance towards registered sex offenders is one of hatred and repulsion. The public’s attitude toward the parents of murdered children is usually one of overwhelming sympathy. I have a hunch most will grieve for and with this father. This is an opportunity for the masses to be forced to make distinctions between sex offenders. They are not all alike. It is wrong to lump them all together as Georgia law and the laws of many states do.

There are other facts that must be squarely faced in this situation. Sex offender residency laws don’t just banish former offenders. They banish their families and children as well, or force the family to break up. Georgia law sought to either banish the child along with the father or banish the father from his child. It is a terrible way to say it, but the torturers of this child and his father tragically completed what Georgia had already begun.

If Georgia chooses to react with harsher sex offender laws, they will be punishing the father of a murdered child too. What a moral and political conundrum for the people of Georgia and the citizens of all of our communities!

More info at http://theparson.net/so
Ed Weber

Bainbridge Island, WA

#3 Mar 28, 2007
"Is Lifers Union Advocacy Group ( http://www.lifersunion.org/ ) just a front organization for sex predators housed at the McNeil Island Special Commitment Center? Lifers Union Advocacy Group (LUAG) states: Lifers Union Advocacy Group (LUAG) is organized exclusively for charitable, educational, and literary purposes, Lifers Union Advocacy Group is organized for the purposes of sponsoring and contributing to activists and/or organizations working toward the betterment in family and otherwise social contacts for individuals incarcerated in prisons and/or mental hospitals nationwide; This is from the web-page of the group and this is from the web-page of DSHS which keeps this group off the streets: The Special Commitment Center Program, operated by the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS), provides a specialized mental health treatment program for civilly committed sex offenders who have completed their prison sentences. The civil commitment process is under the authority of the superior court in the county where an individual was previously convicted of sex crimes. Only sex offenders whom the court finds to meet the legal definition of a sexually violent predator may be civilly committed to the Special Commitment Center (SCC). Public safety is the central purpose of the Community Protection Act of 1990. In each of its facilities, the Special Commitment Center Program employs a variety of stringent public safety and security measures to provide for the community's safety. Yes, the men who operate Lifers Union Advocacy Group are sexually violent predators, the worst of the worst, men like Kevin Coe, the South Hill Rapist, Richard Roy Scott the untreated child rapists who, if released in the morning would be raping before night fall. How is it that this group is allowed to use the internet to continue their sex offending ways? The men who run this group are strong-arming weaker inmates, forcing them to give up monies for their personal cause. The members of Lifers Union Advocacy Group are nothing more then sex predators using the net to offend."
John

Suwanee, GA

#4 Mar 29, 2007
That law is plain stupid. Each case should be handled independently. Why is there not such laws for drug pushers and users who give kids drugs. If the laws like this continue at some point everyone in America will be registered sex offenders. It is all punishment endorsed as public safety and is a false sense of security. Give stiffer punishments at court and let the jury decide who should be registered. They are in the best position to judge an individual. Not you or I!
Grandpa

Bergenfield, NJ

#5 Mar 29, 2007
If they passed the law in Westchester Bubba Clinton would have a problem.
This is RIDICULOUS

Fenton, MI

#6 Mar 29, 2007
This Sex Offender thing is just going way too far, not everyone that has commited a crime is a child predator, it makes me sick that they are allowing laws like this to pass through.. what about those who made mistakes, just like those who have commited other crimes like murder and get a second chance at life, but they are on no list, and can live in peace. When will this stop??? I am ALL FOR protecting our children, however there needs to be a line drawn. Sickening.

Since: Mar 07

Bainbridge Island, WA

#7 Apr 8, 2007
Lifers Union Advocacy Group:
Garth Snively is a member of this group.

Malcolm Ross, Assistant Attorney General with the AG’s Sexually Violent Predator Unit, won his fourth civil commitment case this year, preventing a multi-victim sex predator from returning to society.

Late Monday, July 17, after a little more than an hour of deliberation, a Snohomish County jury ordered the civil commitment of Garth Snively. Snively, 57, was convicted of three sexually violent offenses against children and, prior to treatment, confessed in an interview that he had as many as 100 victims

Snively will be held indefinitely in total confinement at the state’s Special Commitment Center on McNeil Island. He may not be released either until his condition has so changed that he no longer meets the definition of a sexually violent predator, or until the court orders his conditional release to a less restrictive alternative placement.

“Garth Snively is one of the worst kinds of offender, one who befriends his victims, grooms them then betrays their trust,” said Attorney General Rob McKenna.“It’s because of people like Snively that I worked with our sexually violent predator unit to pass tougher laws against sex predators who harm children. These new laws, coupled with the hard work of assistant attorneys general like Malcolm help make Washington a safer place for our children.”

The Attorney General’s Sexually Violent Predator Unit petitioned to have 24 offenders civilly committed in 2005, 25 percent more than in 2004. Of those 24 offenders, the Attorney General’s Office sought to civilly commit in 2005 sexually assaulted a total of 212 victims with an average age of 12.

The offenders were convicted of a total of 85 sex offenses, including 60 "sexually violent" or serious hands-on offenses. Offenders ranged in age from 12 to 63 years old and they came from 11 Washington counties, eight other states and several foreign countries.

In addition, in 2005, the AGO succeeded in civilly committing 19 offenders as sexually violent predators. This is the highest number of offenders the AGO has ever committed in one calendar year.

Based on the unit’s recommendations, McKenna requested and passed a package of sex offender legislation to further protect children and others against sex predators.

Since: Mar 07

Bainbridge Island, WA

#8 Apr 8, 2007
Death for Sex Offenders
Texas could sentence some hardcore child molesters to death under a bill given preliminary approval Monday by the state House of Representatives. In a bill designed to crack down on sex offenders who repeatedly prey on children, the House voted to create a new category of crime — continual sexual abuse of a young child or children — that carries a minimum of 25 years to life in prison and possibly the death penalty for a second offense.

The bill represented a compromise after the House delayed a vote on a broader death penalty provision over constitutional concerns and worries it might lead some molesters to kill their victims.

Lawmakers said they talked with district attorneys, defense lawyers and victim advocacy groups before coming back for a vote on Monday.

“This bill is supposed to go after the true pedophiles ... the worst of the worst,” said Rep. Dan Gattis, R-Georgetown, a Republican and former prosecutor who drafted the compromise.

“Nothing we do will be more important,” Rep. Debbie Riddle, R-Tomball, who filed the original bill, said before the 118-23 vote of approval. The bill still must get a final vote before going to the Senate, which is considering a similar measure.

The bill is named Jessica’s Law after Jessica Lunsford, a Florida girl who was abducted and killed. More than a dozen states have passed versions of Jessica’s Law to crack down on sex offenders and Gov. Rick Perry has deemed passage of a child sex offender bill a legislative emergency.

The Texas version would make the Lone Star State the sixth to allow some child sex offenders to be sentenced to death, although some legal experts question whether it is constitutional to use the ulimate penalty in cases where the victim did not die.

In 1977, the U.S. Supreme Court threw out the death penalty in a Georgia rape case. Louisiana has one inmate on death row in a child sex crime but the case is still subject to appeals in state and federal courts.

The House bill defines continuous sexual abuse of a young child as more than one sex act committed against a victim younger than 14 over a period of 30 days or more.

The first offense would carry 25 to 99 years in prison. If an offender was released and later convicted of the same crime again, he or she would face life without parole or the death penalty.

Lawmakers created a “Romeo and Juliet” exception to avoid prosecuting a situation that might be a high school romance, such as a 17-year old senior and a 13-year-old freshman engaging in consensual sex. That could still be punishable under statutory rape laws, but not the new, harsher continual assault law.

The bill also removes the statute of limitations for many sex crimes against children, including indecency with a child and aggravated sexual assault. The current limit to bring charges is 10 years after the victim’s 18th birthday.
Bennie

Colorado Springs, CO

#10 Apr 16, 2007
Why a new category? Black's Law dictionary already defines habitual apart from repeat for purposes of law. The habitual offender regardless of type of crime should spend a lifetime in prison or given the option of execution, but for others that have offenses or crimes of misdemeanor should be allowed reintegrate with reasonable restrictions, not restrictions that fester an atmosphere and environment that will produce retaliation.
k i clayton

Fairmont, WV

#11 Apr 20, 2007
John wrote:
That law is plain stupid. Each case should be handled independently. Why is there not such laws for drug pushers and users who give kids drugs. If the laws like this continue at some point everyone in America will be registered sex offenders. It is all punishment endorsed as public safety and is a false sense of security. Give stiffer punishments at court and let the jury decide who should be registered. They are in the best position to judge an individual. Not you or I!
Wait a minute, John. You need to educate yourself about child predators. The recidivism (relapse) of those who molest children is enormously high; it is an addiction that even the mental health experts agree is uncontrollable for 90-plus percent of offenders. A molester, can molest as many as eight hundred children (yes, EIGHT HUNDRED) or more in his lifetime. I will agree with you on this point: Our system should incarcerate these sick individuals for a long, long time- and not just give them a few years of prison and probation. Child molestation is a serious crime, and sadly, those who are molested have a proclivity to grow up as molesters. That is a fact. We must understand- and halt- this snowball effect. Each generation is producing more molesters. Think about it: If a man can molest 800 children in his lifetime and if even just ten percent of those (a low estimate!) become molesters... well, do the math, John. It's epidemic in our country. And- even if those molested do not become molesters, their lives, as a result of the trauma, are usually shattered. They turn to drugs, alcohol, or prostitution, or become morbidly obese- the list goes on and on. Child molestation (in accordance with most mental health care professionals) is the most dangerous threat to our society. More than drugs. More than murder. More than war. Again- this isn't my opinion; I'm just relaying to you the facts. Personally, I would rather perform brain surgery on myself with an oyster fork before I allowed any known pedophile to associate in any way with my child. Even those who vow never to re-offend are dangerous. They are sick, they are addicts, and with each, it is highly probable that they will molest again, and again... and again. While I am an active proponent of civil rights, our laws regarding pedophiles must be suitably- and effectively- changed. Let's protect the future of our nation- our world!- and properly safeguard our children.
Dayna Pennsylvania

United States

#12 May 16, 2007
Thank you so much for your statistics and thoughts on this topic. I have my Master of Social Work degree as well as a Master of Divinity degree. I work with adolescent females in a residential treatment facility and the primary issue for them are their sexual abuse issues. While talking to my clients, it seems that the lack of healing is due to their offenders not taking responsibility for their sexual abuse. Truly, however, who can blame them? If they take responsibility for their actions, they are ostracized and segregated by most social activities and societies. All who care about them are punished also for their crimes, which makes it difficult for family members to be able to work through their own feelings.
My husband turned himself in for sexually abusing his three daughters. No abuse occurred in our home and there was no justifying, minimizing or denying how this abuse affected his daughters after his disclosure to me. He accepted the plea bargain so not to put the girls through any more hurt. Prior to his disclosure, he tried to talk to those in the clergy and other professionals about what he was doing. He wanted to stop his abuse. All stopped him from disclosing by saying that if they say anymore they will have to report it. At that time, he was the primary caregiver of all of his five children.
He is serving 6 and a half to 13 years for his crimes and accepts his consequence for what he has done. The only way to heal families is to live the truth and for offenders to take responsibility for their behaviors and seek help, but if they do, they are seen as lepers and outcasts of society. I am in agreement with you that the worst offenders are those who have never been caught and who may live next door, not those who have taken responsibility and seek help for their sexual addiction issues. As his wife, I also have to feel the isolation and rejection from society because I love my husband. I know he has to pay for what he has done because he hurt his daughters terribly ( I know because I am an incest survivor myself), but I wonder how come I have to serve a life sentence also just for loving him and standing by him because he took responsibility for his sexual offenses?
Tomas

Clearwater, FL

#13 Jul 12, 2007
k i clayton wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait a minute, John. You need to educate yourself about child predators. The recidivism (relapse) of those who molest children is enormously high; it is an addiction that even the mental health experts agree is uncontrollable for 90-plus percent of offenders. A molester, can molest as many as eight hundred children (yes, EIGHT HUNDRED) or more in his lifetime. I will agree with you on this point: Our system should incarcerate these sick individuals for a long, long time- and not just give them a few years of prison and probation. Child molestation is a serious crime, and sadly, those who are molested have a proclivity to grow up as molesters. That is a fact. We must understand- and halt- this snowball effect. Each generation is producing more molesters. Think about it: If a man can molest 800 children in his lifetime and if even just ten percent of those (a low estimate!) become molesters... well, do the math, John. It's epidemic in our country. And- even if those molested do not become molesters, their lives, as a result of the trauma, are usually shattered. They turn to drugs, alcohol, or prostitution, or become morbidly obese- the list goes on and on. Child molestation (in accordance with most mental health care professionals) is the most dangerous threat to our society. More than drugs. More than murder. More than war. Again- this isn't my opinion; I'm just relaying to you the facts. Personally, I would rather perform brain surgery on myself with an oyster fork before I allowed any known pedophile to associate in any way with my child. Even those who vow never to re-offend are dangerous. They are sick, they are addicts, and with each, it is highly probable that they will molest again, and again... and again. While I am an active proponent of civil rights, our laws regarding pedophiles must be suitably- and effectively- changed. Let's protect the future of our nation- our world!- and properly safeguard our children.

Just ran across this old post. Where in the world did you get your figures? Do some homework before you make statements. Do you realize that mark foley also used inflated statements to pass laws before he was caught breaking the same laws?
Unknown

Brewster, NY

#14 Jul 10, 2008
First of all, allot of people that are sex offenders never committed a sex crime with a child, or even a victim at all, like me. I am a sex offender. I committed my offense when i was 15 and now i am 21 still feeling the consequences. I didn't have a victim at all...i was browsing the internet when i was 15 and got caught up into the wrong websites. I went through highschool ridiculed from being in the newspaper 3 times with my name AND address clearly stated. My X-friends handed out flyers to everyone in the hallways. I got 10 years probation and the sex offender registry level 1. i would have rather went to jail if i could get out without the sex offender registry. I cannot get a job with anyone who backround checks and by the way thats almost everywhere. I also have to go to mandatory group sex offender meetings. To tell you the truth the other people in the meeting are actually real nice guys that made mistakes. I can write a book about my feelings towards how sex offenders are treated but no one would listen anyway but i came accross this forum and i had to say something, not everyone is "sick and twisted" if they are a sex offenders and something needs to be done to stop these ridiculous constitution laws from being made. Please stop naming all these statistics that are not true, because the recidivism rates are actually VERY low with sex offenders. Trust me, none of us ever want to go though this again, especially since we will never be done with it. What if you went to jail for 5 years for stealing a car and they said "wait a minute, you might steal another car I'm going to put you in civil commitment." that doesn't make sense does it. You will know when a sex offender moved in next door but you wont know when i murderer moves in. Which one would you rather know about. Well I'm out of room now so i hope i made something click...
38Special

Matawan, NJ

#15 Oct 29, 2008
Regardless of how many predators try to proclaim that they've changed their ways, or dispute statistics, NO ONE wants these degenerates living in their immediate area.

Aside from the NYS Sex Offender Registry and bulletins issued by local police departments, families should immediately be appraised by local school districts, as well. Sadly, this is not the case with the Carmel Central School District; a point proved when they were contacted about a sexual predator having just moved into Carmel, Kent Cliffs, to be exact, and now living in Camp Nemarest, off Peekskill Hollow Road. A teacher from Kent Elementary stated that "it's not the responsibility of the school district to inform parents about sexual predators; it's the duty of the parents to stay informed of such matters". This teacher went on to state that "all people have to do is look on the internet"...pretty asinine assumption to think that everyone has internet access and that everyone is computer-literate.

For the record, this guy is a repeat offender who stalks school bus stops, looking for teen-age girls; he's on 5 year probation for his offenses. He's from New Jersey, recently got booted from Cold Spring, NY, for failing to register and now he's in Carmel within walking distance of Kountry Kids Children's Learning Center.

The owner of Camp Nemarest could care less about who he rents his shacks to; it's just "show me the money" and he looks the other way. Now Carmel residents have to be on their toes, watching for each and every move of this criminal who now hides in the shadows of a neighborhood filled with children.

Try explaining to children how people like this can have rights after the horrible things they've done to kids. All predators should live in gated communities that are under police guard at all times and be made to wear tracking devices.
Your ignorant

Brewster, NY

#16 Mar 17, 2009
Its people like YOU who should live in gated communities.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brewster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wanted Purdys man 'violently' resists arrest, t... (Jul '14) Fri Tony 16
(.R ox y Bulk!!) ku*sh !! Jan 7 Manordelivery 1
Question About an Old Property -- Terry Hill Rd... (Sep '07) Jan '16 Carmelborn 3
Who believes May 21, this year is judgment day? (Mar '11) Dec '15 Julie 6
rkt Nov '15 love 1
News ShopRite Cashier Run Over, Trapped Under Jeep A... Nov '15 reggieboy 1
Old Wildwood Dude Ranch Brewster, NY on Millto... (Apr '10) Aug '15 Nancy Marinaccio 26
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brewster Mortgages