Ball calls Brewster 'epicenter' of crime

Ball calls Brewster 'epicenter' of crime

There are 17 comments on the Journal News story from Jul 12, 2008, titled Ball calls Brewster 'epicenter' of crime. In it, Journal News reports that:

BREWSTER - Assemblyman Greg Ball, R-Patterson, was among the day laborers looking for work yesterday morning along Main Street in Brewster.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Journal News.

jude from mahopac

Haverhill, MA

#1 Jul 15, 2008
Three men walk through the frame in Greg Ball's campaign commercial, and they fit the stereo-typical "look" of the illegal immigrants Ball is talking about in the commercial. My question is this: Were these men compensated to appear in Ball's commercial? Were they asked for permission to use their images in a political campaign? Who are they, exactly? Did Ball stage illegal "lookalikes" to provoke anti-immigrant emotion? Where can this information be obtained?
John

Exeter, NH

#2 Jul 19, 2008
This is exactly the wrong way to treat other human beings. This is all a political stunt. It's embarrassing to say these people represent us.
Bob

Carmel, NY

#3 Jul 23, 2008
Downtown Brewster is over run with illegal immigrants, 90% of the stores cater too them now.There is no reason for the people of brewster to use the downtown area other than the train station, look around the bank moved, town hall moved, drug store closed you can't go to the pool hall. I hope some day it will be cleaned up, but I fear its too late what a shame.
jeff

Berlin, CT

#4 Jul 24, 2008
Greg Ball is an embarrasment to Brewster. He is a racist and a redneck. He is right about crime in Brewster- the supervisor is the leading lawbreaker.
J from North Salem

Yonkers, NY

#5 Jul 27, 2008
Maybe people like John and Jeff don't have a clear understanding of the transformation that occurred in downtown Brewster over the years. I harbor no resentment towards these illegal immigrants for trying to make a better life for themselves. However, what they are doing is illegal and has several severe, negative impacts.
When I was a teenager, Brewster was a fun town to have a good time in. On main street alone, I could go watch a film at the movie theater, buy comics and baseball cards at the shop next to Bob's diner, shoot pool at the pool lounge, or grab a bite to eat at Bob's or Paddy's. Nowadays though, I would not want my teenage daughter or son to go there unaccompanied. As Bob stated, the pool lounge is no place for adults, let alone children. The movie theater closed over a decade ago and remains an eye sore, and where the comic book shop used to be, dozens of illegal immigrants wait to find work. Throughout the day, the street that used to be scattered with families and little old ladies is now flooded with men whose criminal backgrounds are completely unknown.
Once again, I hold no ill will towards these illegal immigrants. I applaud their desire to better the lives of themselves and their families back at whatever country they consider home. I have worked alongside many of them and consider many of them friendly. Nonetheless, they are in this country illegally, and their presence altered a once well to-do suburban community into a crowded area of dilapidation. Furthermore,the overwhelming appearance of illegal aliens brings about several negative impacts.
Economically, illegal aliens contribute less to the community than an American citizen. Such a statement may seem bias; however, one must consider how much of their income is being sent home to another country. These illegal immigrants earn their money, untaxed, here in America, only to benefit the economy of their home country. At a time when our country is in a recession, many of the jobs that are being taken by illegal aliens would be better suited for Americans to stimulate the economy.
Many people argue that the presence of illegal aliens haven't increased crime, but more people equals more crime. Also, how many crimes go unreported? If an illegal alien witnesses a crime, he is less likely to report it because he risks the chance of being deported when informing the police. Furthermore, cops are less likely to arrest an illegal immigrant due to the amount of paperwork and the inability to make the charges stick. These illegal aliens are getting away with crimes that a real American citizen would be arrested or ticketed for. A truly disturbing scene to consider is when a intoxicated illegal immigrant drives into another motorist. How can this unlicensed and uninsured driver compensate the damage that he causes? Not only will the American citizen have to pay for the damage to his or her own car, but the injuries sustained as well.
Illegal aliens may be entering our country in order to improve their lives and the lives of their families back home, but their presence comes at a cost to the American public. Brewster, as well as many other cities and suburban towns throughout America, has transformed into a more urban, impoverished, and unsightly area. Meanwhile, the appearance of illegal immigrants negatively impacts the safety and financial stability of the places they live.
She Be Me

AOL

#6 Jul 27, 2008
Ball is on the ball.

I wish him the best and hope he wins.

“Illegals are not immigrants...”

Since: Apr 07

Mid-south, USA

#7 Jul 27, 2008
I don't know Ball, but from reading J from North Salem's comment, considering how things have spiraled out-of-control in Brewster, it seems that Ball definitely has shownthat he has testicular fortitude in his quest to make things right. I wish him well.
Judy

White Plains, NY

#8 Jul 29, 2008
Watch the train, I have even seen "day workers" getting on and off the train from other towns that have closed their day worker pick up sites. We could clean this area up!!!! But everyone knows that it is OK to come to Brewster, but perhaps not other areas in Westchester that care more.
mary

Terryville, CT

#9 Aug 18, 2008
I'm just confused... When Ball took office, he was going to 'clean up' Brewster. Since coming into office, Brewster has not been cleaned up at all, in fact, its markedly worse! His intentions might be good, but it seems to me that his caustic style and insensitivity aren't really making any differences.
francesco

Bronx, NY

#10 Aug 21, 2008
Why doesn't Degnan have these people stand in front of his home looking for work? Brewster 'used' to be a nice, quaint town till it was allowed to be overrun by illegals! I'd never live there!

Since: Sep 08

Southington, CT

#11 Sep 7, 2008
Bob wrote:
Downtown Brewster is over run with illegal immigrants, 90% of the stores cater too them now.There is no reason for the people of brewster to use the downtown area other than the train station, look around the bank moved, town hall moved, drug store closed you can't go to the pool hall. I hope some day it will be cleaned up, but I fear its too late what a shame.
What's wrong? Can't walk around in your Home Town? You let all the Illegals in! Now you want them out? Well Time fer an old time round up!!!!

Since: Sep 08

Southington, CT

#12 Sep 7, 2008
jeff wrote:
Greg Ball is an embarrasment to Brewster. He is a racist and a redneck. He is right about crime in Brewster- the supervisor is the leading lawbreaker.
I heard all the Illegals were the Leading Law Breakers!!!!
omgcar

Papillion, NE

#13 Sep 30, 2008
Bob wrote:
Brewster has always been an apathetic town.
Lots of politicians flapping their gums in the wind and blowing hot aire.
When something good comes along, they reject it due to a change of the townscape of the place.Look at it now.No mall, no IBM, Just lots of illegals. Is Brewster one of those safe haven towns?
I lived there when it was just a great place. A swell place to have a family and be part of the town. It was so rich in history. The schools were adequate.
If you feel so deeply, call the Immigration office and get them going. They should be deported to wherever. Would you not call the police if you saw someone breaking in to your neighbors house? Well, they have broken into your town and now it is theirs.
I visited a while back, and was fearful for me and my daughter at a town fair. What a shame. I would never come back to visit for a day. Good Luck.
omgcar

Papillion, NE

#14 Sep 30, 2008
J from North Salem wrote:
Maybe people like John and Jeff don't have a clear understanding of the transformation that occurred in downtown Brewster over the years. I harbor no resentment towards these illegal immigrants for trying to make a better life for themselves. However, what they are doing is illegal and has several severe, negative impacts.
When I was a teenager, Brewster was a fun town to have a good time in. On main street alone, I could go watch a film at the movie theater, buy comics and baseball cards at the shop next to Bob's diner, shoot pool at the pool lounge, or grab a bite to eat at Bob's or Paddy's. Nowadays though, I would not want my teenage daughter or son to go there unaccompanied. As Bob stated, the pool lounge is no place for adults, let alone children. The movie theater closed over a decade ago and remains an eye sore, and where the comic book shop used to be, dozens of illegal immigrants wait to find work. Throughout the day, the street that used to be scattered with families and little old ladies is now flooded with men whose criminal backgrounds are completely unknown.
Once again, I hold no ill will towards these illegal immigrants. I applaud their desire to better the lives of themselves and their families back at whatever country they consider home. I have worked alongside many of them and consider many of them friendly. Nonetheless, they are in this country illegally, and their presence altered a once well to-do suburban community into a crowded area of dilapidation. Furthermore,the overwhelming appearance of illegal aliens brings about several negative impacts.
Economically, illegal aliens contribute less to the community than an American citizen. Such a statement may seem bias; however, one must consider how much of their income is being sent home to another country. These illegal immigrants earn their money, untaxed, here in America, only to benefit the economy of their home country. At a time when our country is in a recession, many of the jobs that are being taken by illegal aliens would be better suited for Americans to stimulate the economy.
Many people argue that the presence of illegal aliens haven't increased crime, but more people equals more crime. Also, how many crimes go unreported? If an illegal alien witnesses a crime, he is less likely to report it because he risks the chance of being deported when informing the police. Furthermore, cops are less likely to arrest an illegal immigrant due to the amount of paperwork and the inability to make the charges stick. These illegal aliens are getting away with crimes that a real American citizen would be arrested or ticketed for. A truly disturbing scene to consider is when a intoxicated illegal immigrant drives into another motorist. How can this unlicensed and uninsured driver compensate the damage that he causes? Not only will the American citizen have to pay for the damage to his or her own car, but the injuries sustained as well.
Illegal aliens may be entering our country in order to improve their lives and the lives of their families back home, but their presence comes at a cost to the American public. Brewster, as well as many other cities and suburban towns throughout America, has transformed into a more urban, impoverished, and unsightly area. Meanwhile, the appearance of illegal immigrants negatively impacts the safety and financial stability of the places they live.
You are a disgrace. These people can come without proper documentation. They are breaking the law. I doubt if opportunity to them means the same as my ancestors who came here. I am second generation and I know very well, who and what they are about. they establish themselves and know very well how to tap into our system for all sorts of things.$$$.but cannot apply for entrance into our country.Give me a break. Bear them no ill. Well, they bear you some.
ryan

North Bergen, NJ

#15 Oct 4, 2008
OMGCAR I have to agree with you. When I was little brewster was a beautiful little town. Now all the old taverns and restraunts have changed to serve the illegals.. It is sad to see the "police dept" that is in place now, the town should have paid the sherrif's dept what it wanted. Maybe if they had only tried to fix up the town 15+ years ago and ENFORCED the landlords on renting laws this would not have happened. I understand that this country was built on immigration but my elders PAID their TAXES and came here LEGALLY!!! I don't give two craps about illegal citizens here they are getting free medical help and housing (in some noted cases) A lot of things need to be FIXED in this country. No way to be NICE about it
ryan

North Bergen, NJ

#16 Oct 4, 2008
OMGCAR BTW. INS is very aware about the sitiuation in brewster, mt. kisco ect... They have been for years.
omgcar

Sabillasville, MD

#17 Oct 6, 2008
ryan wrote:
OMGCAR BTW. INS is very aware about the sitiuation in brewster, mt. kisco ect... They have been for years.
I now live in Florida, and what I see is INS in the grocery stores in certain areas and they are on the lookout for individuals. I am sure they have been tipped. At least I see my tax dollar at work. I lived in Brewster in the 70's and 80's and it was sad to leave, but you could see the downslide then, I cannot imagine after that what transpired. I do believe many illegals have left Florida to go North..no work here in the construction field. That is where so many had gone to work, field labor harvesting crops was not as lucrative. I can even remember the name of the man who started the whole thing in Brewster "on humanatarian" reason, he is now reaping his benefits on the island of Hawaii. I guess his humanatarism paid off well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brewster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Billionairea s mansion destroyed in Pawling (Mar '09) Jul 30 another friend 39
News Lake Carmel Woman's Body Found Near Home Jul 11 upstate 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Patterson, NY (Jan '12) Jul 9 :) 3
News Kayaker drowns in Blue Heron Lake (Jun '06) Jul 5 curiosity 5
News Southeast Woman, 58, Faces Third DWI Charge Jun '15 funnyflicka 2
Fourth of july fireworks? (Jul '06) Jun '15 So jealous 13
Old Wildwood Dude Ranch Brewster, NY on Millto... (Apr '10) Jun '15 Lena Milam 25
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brewster Mortgages