Why are stoners so mean and judgmenta...

Why are stoners so mean and judgmental if they are supposed to be laid back?

Posted in the Brewer Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dono Van

Bangor, ME

#1 May 27, 2012
I've noticed as I get older that a majority of post smokers don't actually live up to their stereotype of being laid back and cool. Some seem to but a majority that I've met and seen simply do not. Sure while they are stoned they may be out of it enough to not be able to move, but most the time they seem slightly paranoid like they are tweaking a little. They also get strange acting around people and distant as if they are too afraid to talk. Not like they are too stoned to talk but rather get too upset easily. Then they often do take everything you say out of context and act like you want to fight. ha ha For example, I was talking to a friend of mine that smokes pot a lot. I was buzzed from drinking alcohol I admit but I was in a really great mood. I was talking to him about music, friends of ours, and something about the land lords assistant but everything I said seemed to be taken the wrong way. He kept getting more and more frustrated and argumentative. The thing is I really wasn't saying anything negative. I mean if I was with one of my other beer buddies and had the same conversation we'd be fine. Then most the evening he kept making fun of my drinking and making insinuations that were not true. A while later I did hear a sentimental song and cried to it. ha ha And then the stoner gets all mean and makes fun of my drinking. Well, at least as a drunk person I feel comfortable enough with my own feelings to cry during a sappy song or make conversation without it turning into a tweak-fest. Heck, I knew this guy who even called himself Hippie but he was often tweaking out an could fly off the handle with rage, he was also a big time stoner. But for someone who calls himself Hippie he wasn't very laid back. ha ha I don't like smoking pot because I think it smells like diarrhea and it only makes me feel like I'm suffocating mentally. I don't drink a lot either, usually on the week ends. Anyway I have noticed over the years that people that smoke marijuana just don't seem to be the passively friendly flower power people the stereotype portrays. All too often when they haven't scored any in a while they can get very mean and verbally spiteful. Or even when they aren't too stoned to talk they get all tweaky and give advice about this and that with total disregards to how much it hurts the other person. It's like in their stoned world they are too numb to realize how spiteful they sound or look. Sure there might be a good half hour when they first start smoking in which they are quiet and too sedated to talk, but it's after that when they come out of it but are still stoned they tend to say and do mean things. Sometimes they sit there and look around the room like they are paranoid. Nobody really gets all laughy and giggly like on That's 70s Show, so much as they just get disturbingly weird and mean. I'm not saying they all get like this but a majority do. Also I've been at parties in which we've been dancing to music one minute and having a great time, then someone passes around a joint and then everyone is just sitting around all boring and zombified. It's not so much relaxing as just 'out of it'. Then usually as people come too after a while the party still isn't the same, usually people start getting snippy and uppity or they turn into money moochers. I'm not saying people that drink don't turn into a-holes either but I've hung out with a lot of people that do get drunk and have a great time. Then the stoner comes and it's like getting a visit from Professor Buzzkill with his smartmouth. If you really watch stoners over a long period of time you'd see that most the time they aren't the happy flower power people they would like to think they are. And actually sometimes come off as if they have some sort of psychosis going on.
Dono Van

Bangor, ME

#2 May 27, 2012
PS Also when ever I met someone that usually has control issues with other people they are a stoner. They like to control other people. They not only want to give you advice about every last thing you do but if you don't do what the pot smoker wants he or she will usually get very upset and pushy, very pushy. Again this doesn't match up to the stereotype that stoners have a "Let it be" attitude. Unless by Letting it be means having it happen their way 100% of the time. And if you don't do what the stoner says or wants they tend to start gossiping and lying about you behind your back.
Matt

Independence, MO

#3 May 27, 2012
hey it seems like you are making rash generalizations from your group of friends.
ha ha

Bangor, ME

#6 May 27, 2013
I've noticed that too. I don't smoke pot since college days but have noticed that pot smokers tend to over react to stuff people say to them. Then they treat the person who said it as if they are a jerk by retaliating with snippy comments. When in fact nobody said anything mean at all to the pot head. I just think that pot heads are feel detached from reality around them and aren't as relaxed or laid back as they think. Studies show that pot smoke creates a "suffocating" feeling on the brain that is often mistaken for relaxation. One reason the body gets the muchies is because when ever the brain feels a serious lack of energy or focus it sends signals to eat. Basically a stoner all to often acts more like he or she is actually paranoid and nervous rather than relaxed. Then if you just happen to say something no matter how innocent they over react to it. Stoners are funny. I'd rather deal with a drunk than a sarcastic tweak stoner or pill head any day.
tyler

Macon, GA

#8 Oct 3, 2013
Dono Van wrote:
I've noticed as I get older that a majority of post smokers don't actually live up to their stereotype of being laid back and cool. Some seem to but a majority that I've met and seen simply do not. Sure while they are stoned they may be out of it enough to not be able to move, but most the time they seem slightly paranoid like they are tweaking a little. They also get strange acting around people and distant as if they are too afraid to talk. Not like they are too stoned to talk but rather get too upset easily. Then they often do take everything you say out of context and act like you want to fight. ha ha For example, I was talking to a friend of mine that smokes pot a lot. I was buzzed from drinking alcohol I admit but I was in a really great mood. I was talking to him about music, friends of ours, and something about the land lords assistant but everything I said seemed to be taken the wrong way. He kept getting more and more frustrated and argumentative. The thing is I really wasn't saying anything negative. I mean if I was with one of my other beer buddies and had the same conversation we'd be fine. Then most the evening he kept making fun of my drinking and making insinuations that were not true. A while later I did hear a sentimental song and cried to it. ha ha And then the stoner gets all mean and makes fun of my drinking. Well, at least as a drunk person I feel comfortable enough with my own feelings to cry during a sappy song or make conversation without it turning into a tweak-fest. Heck, I knew this guy who even called himself Hippie but he was often tweaking out an could fly off the handle with rage, he was also a big time stoner. But for someone who calls himself Hippie he wasn't very laid back. ha ha I don't like smoking pot because I think it smells like diarrhea and it only makes me feel like I'm suffocating mentally. I don't drink a lot either, usually on the week ends. Anyway I have noticed over the years that people that smoke marijuana just don't seem to be the passively friendly flower power people the stereotype portrays. All too often when they haven't scored any in a while they can get very mean and verbally spiteful. Or even when they aren't too stoned to talk they get all tweaky and give advice about this and that with total disregards to how much it hurts the other person. It's like in their stoned world they are too numb to realize how spiteful they sound or look. Sure there might be a good half hour when they first start smoking in which they are quiet and too sedated to talk, but it's after that when they come out of it but are still stoned they tend to say and do mean things. Sometimes they sit there and look around the room like they are paranoid. Nobody really gets all laughy and giggly like on That's 70s Show, so much as they just get disturbingly weird and mean. I'm not saying they all get like this but a majority do. Also I've been at parties in which we've been dancing to music one minute and having a great time, then someone passes around a joint and then everyone is just sitting around all boring and zombified. It's not so much relaxing as just 'out of it'. Then usually as people come too after a while the party still isn't the same, usually people start getting snippy and uppity or they turn into money moochers. I'm not saying people that drink don't turn into a-holes either but I've hung out with a lot of people that do get drunk and have a great time. Then the stoner comes and it's like getting a visit from Professor Buzzkill with his smartmouth. If you really watch stoners over a long period of time you'd see that most the time they aren't the happy flower power people they would like to think they are. And actually sometimes come off as if they have some sort of psychosis going on.
because they know that we who don't do are right. it's a defense mechanism. they know we're speaking the truth. but they don't want accept it, so that get angry.
tyler

Macon, GA

#9 Oct 3, 2013
in fact, i made a more scientific statement on this very same subject: Tyler Baker they're angry because it's truth and they know it. it's simply much easier to accept a lie then it is to accept the truth. look at stds, what's the margin on those that take that seriously vs then one's that don't? pretty low, i'd say. we all know we can get them from being sexually active with someone who has one. imagine if some....''scientist'' did another study on the contrary. all they'd need are a few bs statistics and badaboom! less and less people would even bother to even get tested. all because of what they read and hear.
Jon P

Castine, ME

#10 Oct 4, 2013
Both Pot Heads and Alcoholics are essentially the same. Same for pill heads. Stones only think they are laid back because marijuana lowers their inhibitions and also numbs them. So they feel more free to speak without thinking. Stoners don't understand or feel the sting of the sarcasm that comes out of their mouths. Alocholics are similar in that alcohol lowers inhibitions and shuts down the parts of the brain that help them think before they speak. I've noticed that both Stoners and drunks both overreact to what people say and get paranoid about other peoples intentions. For example if you give constructive criticism about something they over react even if you phrase it nicely. I'm not talking about criticism of their smoking pot but mainly anything such as them not doing their share of the dishes, or remembering to close the fridge door, or if you ask them nicely to stop something that is wrong. They can't handle it and over react. The stoner tends to lash out by either saying something sarcastic or storming off in a huffy fit. They (just like the drunk) don't realize how they are acting or appear to other people and since they are both numb from the pot or alcohol they aren't aware of what dicks they are being. I have noticed too that Pot heads tend to think they are some innocent victim that is somehow being oppressed and that their mean sarcasm is deserved by those they dish it out to. The pot seems to bring out a rather disturbing narcissism or paranoia that isn't really based in reality around them. Studies have show that marijuana use is not healthy in both teens and adults but there is a big push for it's legalization by people looking to make money off it and those looking to abuse it.
Genius

Fairmont, WV

#11 Oct 7, 2013
Jon P wrote:
Both Pot Heads and Alcoholics are essentially the same. Same for pill heads. Stones only think they are laid back because marijuana lowers their inhibitions and also numbs them. So they feel more free to speak without thinking. Stoners don't understand or feel the sting of the sarcasm that comes out of their mouths. Alocholics are similar in that alcohol lowers inhibitions and shuts down the parts of the brain that help them think before they speak. I've noticed that both Stoners and drunks both overreact to what people say and get paranoid about other peoples intentions. For example if you give constructive criticism about something they over react even if you phrase it nicely. I'm not talking about criticism of their smoking pot but mainly anything such as them not doing their share of the dishes, or remembering to close the fridge door, or if you ask them nicely to stop something that is wrong. They can't handle it and over react. The stoner tends to lash out by either saying something sarcastic or storming off in a huffy fit. They (just like the drunk) don't realize how they are acting or appear to other people and since they are both numb from the pot or alcohol they aren't aware of what dicks they are being. I have noticed too that Pot heads tend to think they are some innocent victim that is somehow being oppressed and that their mean sarcasm is deserved by those they dish it out to. The pot seems to bring out a rather disturbing narcissism or paranoia that isn't really based in reality around them. Studies have show that marijuana use is not healthy in both teens and adults but there is a big push for it's legalization by people looking to make money off it and those looking to abuse it.
What a crock. A lot of very successful people smoke weed. Our founding fathers smoked it. Get a clue. Marijuana is not going anywhere. Prohibition does not work.
MEE

Watertown, NY

#12 Oct 7, 2013
Wow Fu#$ing Genius u must be Stoned!
stoner

Denver, CO

#13 Nov 9, 2013
You guys should relax and go out and enjoy your lives
bob

Augusta, ME

#14 Nov 10, 2013
Regular users enjoy a level of enlightenment that makes dealing with fools difficult. Also people with poor self images, usually drunks, make themselves feel better by shitting on stoners, thus making themselves even less appealing to the stoner. I hope this clears things up a little.
Giles

London, UK

#15 Jun 22, 2014
I have noticed that as stoners get older, into their 30s, they tend to become very selfish people. They aren't actually unpleasant, but they will let you know when it is inconvenient for you to be a friend for them.
I had one so-called friend, abruptly terminate an evening and throw me out of his flat because he had some social event to go to in the morning.

You can't argue with people on that footing, but the selfishness involves never keeping the friendship going. In order to see the same friend I had to make a plan which fitted what they were doing that day, they didn't have to go out of their way and which ended with the tiny insinuation that I was using up their time and they had other things to do. It's been some years since I bothered with that person though when I used to phone them they seemed to be pleased that I was keeping the friendship going, though it's been ten years since they bothered to phone me.

I have known other stoners who you can't make plans with to do anything. Once of them gave me the 'talk about it next week' line for months on end when we were trying to book a trip to Amsterdam and when I gave him six weeks' notice of my booked trip, booked to go the week after I did. Such people are impossible and I think that weed has something to do with the fact that he stopped speaking to me, after seeing him nearly every week at our local leisure centre for a number of years. The last time I ran into him, he looked at me as though I had killed his mother. I have no idea what brought all of this on. I am not motivated to find out as I think he is behaving like a weirdo and might have something to do with his smoking habit.

If I try and debate with a smoker the benefits or not of cannabis and say 'moderation' and btw the medical research done to date is nearly ALL junk science, but I have an open mind on it, they get amazingly hostile, won't debate and even scream that I am a prohibitionist when I have said that I smoke it now and again myself, or that I had a bad experience with it which is causing my negativity as they see it. You get the same level of denial from tobacco smokers to drinkers and real drug addicts to think that cannabis smokers can be addicted in a sense and won't tolerate a discussion, claiming that you and they are not talking about the same things. Probably the worst denial I have ever seen was a tobacco smoker who was medically qualified, look at a cigarette packet on which are published pictures of people with the most horrific visible tumours; and say 'Oh well it's probably a benign tumour anyway'. This means that they would rather have the tumour than contemplate the idea of not smoking, even to save their own life. The dead-end rationalisation of many stoners that they are doing something that is other and better than substance abuse is a similar type of delusional process. They are drug addicts and nobody wants to be around such people.

Petal Power

“It's a New Dawn”

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#16 Jun 23, 2014
As with ANY Person..WHO..Gets on your Nerves. JUST WALK AWAY!!

They are STONED..DUDE!!

Their Rationalize Answers ONLY make sense to THEM....

To Us..It's BABY TALK..
curious

Gandía, Spain

#17 Jul 3, 2014
I think most of the comments are true. Had the same problem with a friend right now and since he started smoke more he is like getting more numb and angry. On the other hand have another friend which is very cool person and never argues about stupid things with anybody. I also was living with a flatmate that smokes sometimes and he ended his career as industrial designer and works a lot in rendering of conceptual hi tech devices. But for those three cases the anger is true. I used to smoke sometimes and the more stoned I started to get the anger started to increase in some cases. My observations are that when you are stoned you want to see those cool stereotypical times from the movies but people today usually try to judge everybody even without reason and stoners cant defend themselves as they are suffocated and exaggerate the situation. But if you end stoned with cool people it can be fun and if you try not to speak about personal stuff, just speak about cool things like surfing, skateing or any kind of sport you do with your friends (I personally do Mountain Biking). And don't abuse.

Conclusion: Smoking is for mentally balanced people with clear minds and no complexes. The weed augment the thoughts in your mind and your feelings. If you feel bad you will feel worse, if you feel fin you will feel better, etc.
Hulk smash

Broomfield, CO

#18 Sep 14, 2015
They have delusions of persecution
Agree

Brewer, ME

#21 Sep 18, 2015
Funny topic but I have also noticed over the years that most stoners don't match their stereotype in fact they are the opposite. Often accusing others of being mean when people are not being mean it's just they are tweaking. The stoners are the ones dishing out hateful speech or sarcasm but they are too NUMB to and disconnected from reality to know that they are the negative nelly.
LOL

Brewer, ME

#22 Sep 18, 2015
stoner wrote:
You guys should relax and go out and enjoy your lives
Says the hypocritical stoned liberal trolling on his or her own computer. ha ha
Bobs funny

Brewer, ME

#23 Sep 18, 2015
bob wrote:
Regular users enjoy a level of enlightenment that makes dealing with fools difficult. Also people with poor self images, usually drunks, make themselves feel better by shitting on stoners, thus making themselves even less appealing to the stoner. I hope this clears things up a little.
BOB just proved the point about how mean and sarcastic stoners are. Also the fact that he or she needs to throw the attention onto drunks to attempt to get the light off his own hedonistic activities shows that he is scared of the truth. I don't drink that much just a few times a month but Ive met far more drinkers that were fun loving and out going than some numb minded sarcastic jack ass stoner. And usually stoners are very negative to hang around. The fact that BOB uses the excuse of not dealing with "fools" is evidence that most stoners are usually your pretentious liberal types that think everyone is a fool and looks down on everyone while at the same time pretending to be laid back by putting on a mask of seeming hip and outgoing but usually those types always seem controlling, sarcastic, mean, and defensive. Sure I don't like mean drunks but when ever I did go out to a bar, club, party or social gathering most the time drunk people were fun loving, danced, and had a great time. It's only once in a while that Ive seen someone drunk I can't stand. However I really have to say that a majority of the time stoners are NO FUN. Stoners have a rotating disposition and are often fakes. They act laid back but at the same time are very manipulative, controlling, and pretentious. Bottom line is that stoners can dish it out but they can't take it. They often dispense sarcasm but believe they are voicing words of wisdom when it's just verbal vomit. But if you so much as say 1 word wrong to a stoner they get all bent, tweak out, and their fake happy mask falls off.
hello

Medford, OR

#24 Sep 19, 2015
Matt wrote:
hey it seems like you are making rash generalizations from your group of friends.

i have been around many 'stoners' basically everyone i know, and many people who grow and/or work at dispensaries, and alot of them have serious anger issues, i live in oregon if that helps
Jan Rocklover

Brewer, ME

#25 Sep 20, 2015
hello wrote:
<quoted text>
i have been around many 'stoners' basically everyone i know, and many people who grow and/or work at dispensaries, and alot of them have serious anger issues, i live in oregon if that helps
I agree pot head stoners often do have serious anger issues or they are trying to project their anger onto someone else. For example if a drunk person makes a funny joke or comment the pot head will take it the wrong way and then accuse the drunk person of being mean. But the truth is that the stoner is only over reacting. They do have serious anger issues and I live up in Maine and noticed that from Maine to Vermont that people that smoke pot tend to snap ever so often and go mental. There is a friend that used to deal pot who calls himself "Hippie" that lives in the Bangor area and we've seen him throw terrible temper tantrums and threaten people. Not so laid back for a dude that calls himself Hippie. ha ha ha :) I don't drink either but the neighbors and friends that I do have that drink seem OK. Only once in a great while a person will get out of hand but for the most part Id rather deal with a drunk neighbor than a paranoid tweek stoner. I don't drink or smoke because I have breathing problems and the alcoholic drinks upset my IBS. But Id have to say from what Ive seen that stoners have anger issues.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brewer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News This is Maine's chance to start restoring its a... Thu Longtail 1
penobscot community healthcare sucks Jul 16 Anonymous 1
Bangor Hope House Arrogance (Dec '15) Jul 16 Anonymous 2
Business Jul 14 Code library 1
Landlords to Avoid in Bangor Maine (Apr '13) Jul 13 You wrong 38
I hate Zooey Deschanel (Mar '12) Jul 12 Amanda 14
Putin made a Fool of Trump - Again! Jul 10 Protester 3

Brewer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brewer Mortgages