Hearings Held On DCS Practices

Hearings Held On DCS Practices

There are 43 comments on the NewsChannel5.com Nashville story from Jun 10, 2008, titled Hearings Held On DCS Practices. In it, NewsChannel5.com Nashville reports that:

State lawmakers are holding hearings about the Tennessee Department of Children's Services.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsChannel5.com Nashville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Leisha Vaughn

United States

#1 Jun 11, 2008
I have to say that I am worried about the difficulty of adopting these children that need permanent homes. As a former foster parent, I more than understand that some of these kids return home, when all the problems are ironed out. I am all for that, reunification should always be the primary goal. However that is not always possible, and many of these children end up spending years in the care of the state and age out of the system.

I am a former foster parent, because our license was taken in 2007. I had been communicating to another foster mother, via email communications. She ended up telling me things that I had no right to know, and broke the confidentiality of 2 children and their parents. I turned her in, because I take that very seriously. However, because I was the one that began the correspondence, our home was closed also. I contributed... sort of like if you are the passenger in a vehicle and the driver hits and kills someone, and you wind up getting charged with the homicide as well simply because you were in the car... but I digress... it doesn't matter why we no longer can foster in Tennessee. What does matter is this: now I am looking from the outside in. We began fostering because we wanted to adopt. We began realizing during our PATH, that there are many children who just need a temporary home. We decided to change our Adopt Only to Foster/Foster to Adopt. When we lost our license, we tried to go back to Adopt Only, just to be told that DCS did away with that choice. Now you can only Foster/Foster to Adopt. What that means is this: if you can't foster in Tennessee, you can't adopt any of it's children. Now don't get me wrong, fostering is a great way to help these kids, and while we enjoyed it and miss it tremendously, it's not for everyone. Some people simply don't wish to foster and can't handle it emotionally. Some people have children and choose not to put that strain on their kids (of having to say goodbye). And it gets worse - Once DCS closes your home, there is no other public and accredited agency in Tennessee that will or can open it back up... which is short of being blackballed... and yet it get a little worse. Even if you go through a private agency, get your home approved as an adoptive home, you can't adopt Tennessee's kids becuase you can't foster...so you have to go outside of Tennessee and adopt another state's children. This is what we care getting ready to do, and I can tell you it pains me. Here we have a home paid for, we are in a good financial place in our lives, we want to share that stability and love in our hearts with a child or children. We can't have our own. It pains me that we will be filling our two extra bedrooms with children from another state, when there are children right in our own backyard that need those bedrooms and our hearts to love them.

If I am not mistaken, one of the crucial points that led to the Brian A. Settlement was the failure of case workers to return calls from people who wanted to adopt these kids. That sore point of neglecting to do everything possible to get these children into loving and permanent homes, is no different than making it impossible to adopt these kids if you don't or can't foster. While I will rejoice and be glad in the day that we fill our home, I will be sad too for the children who weren't given a chance to be ours.
Dorothy Knightly

United States

#2 Jun 11, 2008
All states need reform, not just Tennessee. What happened with the FLD's is happening all over the country. Because of the illegal practice's of CPS toward the FLD's, more people are now aware of what a rogue agency CPS is. "Hearsay" is not supposed to be admittable in a court of law, yet every day it is. Evidence or proof of a child being in danger is not given, nor do the Judges ask for any. It's as if Judges believe CPS can do no wrong. They need to pull their head's out of the sand and start treating parent's fairly. CPS is not alway's right and are not truthful when it comes to child abuse allegation's. In fact, there are very few doing the job their being paid to do. Service's need to be given to families before children are removed. Isn't that what the Adoption Promotion Act is all about. This doesn't happen. Judges rely on hearsay and the children are immediately removed. This need's to stop.Reform all over America is needed.
Brokenhearted grandma

United States

#3 Jun 13, 2008
My experience with Tennessee is they are not that interested in reunification with the family. I am a grandmother from a different state who has been approved by DCS in my state but Tennessee refuses to give them to me prefering to keep them in foster care and having the foster family adopt them. Now I will be spending thousands on an attorney to try and get these kids home when they should have been given to me in the first place when thier parents got in trouble. DCS claims I will turn around and give the kids back to the parents which is so untrue. The gaurdian ad litem simply parotts what the caseworker says, never meeting or speeking with me at all. I never in my wildest dreams thought something like this could happen to our family. I am powerless against the system.
mbreanna1986

Nashville, TN

#4 Jun 23, 2008
my son is in detention. the worse major thing unruley. alan caloun is his judge. the state has severly beat my son...hes 17. the sad part is that the kid beat him so bad. his jaw had to be wired shut. guess who snuck in the weapon to beat him? severly.. the GUARD.. if i dont get my son out of there with GODS BLESSINGS there gonna kill him...GOD HELP US ALL
mbreanna1986

Nashville, TN

#5 Jun 23, 2008
once again. my sons 17 years old. hes like i said locked up for alot of unruley. long story shorter, i cant go to the courts to file papers. until i reccoperate more from my severe neck surgery...ive begged everyone in the courts to help this child. ive written the referee. whom i though cared about kids. dont know for sure yet?im screaming emotionally. my son is being threatend everyday. hes in protective custody for protection..the guards snuck the weapon in, to give to the other teenager. to beat my sons jaw so bad. my son was in surgery for 3 hours. yes. only after i called the state to investagate and protect all our children.. they was sp gracious enough to fire the guard. tahnk GOD. i have so much faith in GOD.. cause if i would of seen the guard, adult that did tis. i forsure would of used the old real technique, an eye for an eye. a tooth for a tooth. but GOD knows me, and managed to keep the distance between us. no child ever deserves any abuse... ecspecially from an adult and ecspecially from a so called superior piece of crap
DCS Sucketh

United States

#6 Jun 23, 2008
Brokenhearted grandma wrote:
My experience with Tennessee is they are not that interested in reunification with the family. I am a grandmother from a different state who has been approved by DCS in my state but Tennessee refuses to give them to me prefering to keep them in foster care and having the foster family adopt them. Now I will be spending thousands on an attorney to try and get these kids home when they should have been given to me in the first place when thier parents got in trouble. DCS claims I will turn around and give the kids back to the parents which is so untrue. The gaurdian ad litem simply parotts what the caseworker says, never meeting or speeking with me at all. I never in my wildest dreams thought something like this could happen to our family. I am powerless against the system.
Get that lawyer IMMEDIATELY and have him/her file a complaint with the attorney generals office. Also put your US Congressional reps on notice.

Relative placement is suppose to be first and foremost. This is a requirement that must be followed in order for the states to receive federal funding reimbursement under Social Security Title IV-E Foster Care Payments.

If they haven't legitimately eliminated relatives first, when relatives are willing and able, yet still accept federal dollars, they are breaking the law and it becomes organized crime.

Listen to the social workers explain it, they do a better job than I.
DCS Sucketh

United States

#7 Jun 23, 2008
mbreanna1986 wrote:
my son is in detention. the worse major thing unruley. alan caloun is his judge. the state has severly beat my son...hes 17. the sad part is that the kid beat him so bad. his jaw had to be wired shut. guess who snuck in the weapon to beat him? severly.. the GUARD.. if i dont get my son out of there with GODS BLESSINGS there gonna kill him...GOD HELP US ALL
Reminds me of the late Kaleb Shelton. Remember him?

Grand jury to review foster son's deathNews Sentinel staff
Friday, January 18, 2008

The Hamblen County grand jury will review the case of a Morristown man who is accused of choking his teenage foster son to death during an altercation at their home in November.
Jordan Kaleb Shelton, 16, died following the altercation with Kenneth Wayne Taylor, 53, a former bodybuilder, at Taylor's home.
Taylor was initially charged with reckless homicide, and that is the charge under which his case was sent to the grand jury following a brief hearing Thursday morning in Hamblen County Sessions Court. The maximum penalty for reckless homicide is two years in prison.
Taylor remains free on bond.
The state has the option of asking the grand jury to indict on a greater charge.
Meanwhile, the youth's family has filed a $40 million wrongful death lawsuit against Taylor, his wife, and Omni Visions Inc., the private foster home network with which the Taylors were affiliated. The Nashville-based foster care network is the largest provider of foster care for the Tennessee Department of Children's Services.
The lawsuit alleges that prior to the teen's death Omni Visions had received complaints that other foster-care children had been assaulted by Kenneth Taylor but placed Kaleb Shelton in his care anyway.
mbreanna1986

Nashville, TN

#8 Jun 23, 2008
boy...i just found this site.lol. i have so much to tell. about what the juvenile curts did to me and my kids.referre oneil oneday. gave custody of my nieces and nephews, to a murderer... i sware he did. hes the meanest ref. in the world. hes evil... also hes so stupid.. he tried to put my 16 year old daughter. who is autistic mind you.. on community service. when i tried to explain he said shut up get out.i m so glad my kids are older so i never have to see that jerk again. if anyone is infront of him. go to his higher judge. hes just a referee. hes evil.. and the truth be told.i hope he gets fired. hes abusing parents alll the time. and taking miney for his own pockets.stay or move your case immediatley from him. you can legally do that. i used to work for a lawyer. trust me..dont let him abuse yall. thank GOD for computers so we can weed out the scum bags. love always GOD BLEESES ALWAYS MICHELLE
mbreanna1986

Nashville, TN

#9 Jun 23, 2008
im sorry im writting so many comments.. but this is the first time.other than praying that i can really express my emotional feelings about MYSONE.. to let everyone know. so they dont hopefully have to go through the same pain, hurt sadneess depression. i had to. I honestly feel that their are so many dcs people out there, that hurt our children so bad. when can we protect ourselves and fight fairley for our innocent own children, that GOD and we as parents brought into this world. how long is the goverment going to keep making our children our boss? i feel theres 2 people that run this world now. A,its suppose to be GOD first.. but now its the goverment and teenagers. if we discipline our children. then we as parents get punished. me a single mother. did everything i could possible, to give my kids everything i could, with the BLESSINGS from GOD.. all that hard honest work i did do. being a great Mother. then the state, officials, court, dcs workers, referees turn around and slap you. right in the mouth. i hope soon oneday, we as parents with GODS prayer,s can soon regain more control. its not right, or fair. hopefully soon the parents can get together and make things right. be allowed to raise our children. the best way we feel.. noone can raise a child better. than a parent. they stripped us of that.
whit4168

United States

#10 Jun 25, 2008
My daughter accused her step-father of molestation that supposedly happened two years ago. I am the primary custodian. The school counselor notified my ex first. I didn't know about it until DCS contacted me two days later. Then, they told me to sign my full custodial rights over to my ex or I would lose all rights and she would be in foster care. They did not mention that I had a right to a hearing first. I had done nothing wrong. I was allowed to speak to my daughter in a room full of about 8 people for 5 minutes. She lied to me first thing---I was there in the same room when she this happened. I called her on it. So, I got supervised visitation. After several weeks of supervised visits, I still wasn't receiving returned phonecalls from the DCS worker. When I went to the office to question why, I spoke with her supervisor, I was called immediately by the DCS caseworker and told that she was slapping a no contact order and a restraining order on me. I've raised my daughter for almost 15 years. She's a straight A student...never faulter...never showed signs of trauma....and has been caught in many inappropriate situations lately. So step-dad threatened to tell Mom. Guess what happened next? he was never interviewed by DCS. However, he went to talk to the detective to see what was going on and they already had a warrant slapped him in jail. So thousands of dollars later, we're still fighting for his freedom. I have also sued DCS for revoking my rights without proper reasoning. So because I questioned the DCS worker's authority, I now have no visitation with my daughter. I have no charges EVER on my record. I am on the PTO at school. I attend every school event. Her father has only been to maybe ten her whole life. Now he's DAD of the Year and she's living it up. They're afraid to cross her. She gets what she wants. So DCS and the County Sheriff's Dept detective are at fault in my situation. Beware. If you are ever called to DCS or to sheriff's office for any reason, take an atty to begin with. I was told this would all have ended day one had I done that. It's an expensive and painful lesson to learn. My traumatized teenager is living life to the fullest, getting whatever she wants from the side of the family she never wanted to visit.??? So our justice system and our DCS system definitely are lacking and need lots of improvement. Does anyone know of interest groups that may be able to help? I've already written congress.
mbreanna1986

Nashville, TN

#11 Jun 26, 2008
Oh My God.. im so sorry for what you went through. they did that crazy stuff to me. please sweetie just remember, that you are not alone. and dont let them pull you down. you didnt deserve any of that. i believe you. and soon someday if we all get together and stick together, than we with GODS BLESSINGS. can help fis this for our kids kids someday. caus ewe can work on making all this ugly behaior better. love michele
mbreanna1986

Nashville, TN

#12 Jun 26, 2008
if i was you. MISS Knoxville...i would hire a lawyer and sue the state for damiging your brain. im so sorry you went through this. research the internet to find a ggod lawyer to help you fight the state. you have a great chance. let me no online. i will try and find one in the mean time. my son has a million dollar civil case againgst the state right now. the guard that beat him that snuck weapon in. got fired. look into it. when my sons home soon with GODS BLESSING we are going to file against the state all the proof is ll there.
mbreanna1986

Nashville, TN

#13 Jun 26, 2008
good luck
mbreanna1986

Nashville, TN

#14 Jun 27, 2008
if parents dont start sticking together. with all this detention stuff... then all or kids are going to have to go through this when they are older. we have got to do something now. this site has BLESSED US enough to finally get the messages out there. do we,us as parents want to keep letting dcs and the detention centers keep abusing us? or are we going to let them keep putting our kids, with their kids. through the same thing they do to us. yalls choice, im ready to satnd up and protest. if i dont have the help and support form parents i cant do a darn thing. someone respond reach out. be strong..HELP ME HELP US... someone say something here. so i can have yall,s support to keep going. PLEASE...
ALWAYS REMEMBER GOD BLESSES ALWAYS....P.S there is nothing to be afraid of, when your fighting for the right thing to PROTECT our children... i need the support to move foward. we can work on going through the Governor,s office. and do all the legal steps we have to. to start changing the laws. so parents can have a fighting chance to raise there on kis the right way. AS LONG AS WE ARE GOOD PARENTS. AND GODS ALWAYS FIRST WEA ARE OK. with these message boards. now are my ownly safety. cause alot of people at nashville detention. are mad at me now fro trying to protect my son. now yesterday the ref. assistant hung up on me an basically said get out. the courts have nothing to do with your son.if you want your son to be safe. call the detention facility,s sherrif department its on them. all i no. is im going o fight for my son safety all the way. i have God and hopefully the decent single moms support and yalls support. PLEASE HELP ME HELP ALL OF US WITH THIS DCS DETENTION LAW UNFAIRNESS. THANK YOU...YOU NO MY SCREEN NAME LOL.
I SWARE DETENTION CENTER IS SO MAD AT ME CAUSE I SCREAMED EXPOSURE.INE TIME THEY EVEN MADE UP A CHARGE ABOUT ME ABOUT ALL THHIS CRAZY JUVNILE STUFF AND CHARGED ME FOR AND ARRESTED ME FOR FALSE REPORT. ALL BECAUSE I TOLD THE TRUTH THEY TOOK ME TO ADULT COURT TURNED AROUND WITH NADA ON MY RECORD EXCEPT/MISDEAMENOR AND I HAD TO PLEAD GUILTY OR WAS THREATENED WITH JURY TRIAL AND IF I GET CHARGED,, WHEN I WAS TELLING THE TRUTH...LOL. I WAS LOOKING AT TIME IN THE BIG HOUSE IM LIKE IN ADULT COURT LIKE OH MY GOD. I HAD TO DO COMMUNITY SERVICE PROBATION 1 YEAR. AND I HAD JUST HAD A MAJOR NECK OPERATION.. IM TELLING ALL YA,LL IF YOU GO THROUGH IT YOULL SEE.. UNLESS YOUR CHILD IS COMPLETLY OUT OF CONTROL. EVEN THEN TAKE THE KID OR TEENAGER TO VANDY OR SOME TEENAGER HOSPITAL FOR ONE ON ONE THERAPY. POINT IS TRY AND AVOID DETENTION CENTERS..LOLOLOL
mbreanna1986

Nashville, TN

#15 Jun 28, 2008
ok, hi again... I have to take time here to say one good thing here. i dont think its the juvenile courts fault here. i think its dcs. i will honestly say, that ref. alan calhoun is a very, very CARING ref. he has been great to me trying to help me with my son... THE REAL PROBLEM IS DCS LYING TO HIM. HE DIDNT NO.
mbreanna1986

Nashville, TN

#16 Jun 28, 2008
So point is here... I hope dcs figures out how to fix their problems so good referees, like MR.Calhoun doesnt have to take the blame for their mistakes...Dcs has alot of work to do to fix their problems to help the courts for our kids. future. thank you GOD BLESSES ALWAYS
mbreanna1986

Nashville, TN

#17 Jun 28, 2008
with regards to all my postings...all i am trying to do and say about what ive been through with my son is. i lived in lyles, tn. i put my son in states custody there in centerville,tn Judge Samuel Smith was the judge. he was old fashioned and the best JUDGE any single mother would love. he helped me through all my sons unruly problems. he wouldnt listen he wouldnt come in, when he was suppose to. he was stealing from me. money.ect. i was working a night job to raise my kids.and work while they were sleeping so they wouldnt miss me to much.so i went to the court for help. his father wouldnt have nothing to do with any of us. long story shorter i tried so hard to give my kids everything i could.when my home burned down with no insurance.. i was BLESSED my kids werent in it. judge samuel smith locked my son Stephen up. to help me help HIM. he is such a great man. when i had to move to Nashville to stay with my mom. cause my home.was lost.dcs changed juristiction. and i ended up lost and so confused in the court,i lost judge samuael smith. that knew me knew my SON... and then i was thrown into Nashville courts and noone knew me or my sons behavior. one time a dcs man came ot me. and even accused me of sleeping with my own boy. when i cant or im to shy to even talk to him about sex. my son had stolen my safe. it had all my beaytiful classy modeling pictures in it.thats why judge smith locked him up the first time. when nashville took over. they didnt have a clue. my son has been locked up for 4 years. he deservered half that for sure. he was abusive to me his own mother. all i no is im so tired of trying to fight for my own sons rights. i did what any GOOD MOTHER would do in my sitution.thats why the dcs system i feel is screwed up. point is i wanna move back to lyles away from it all. have the rest of my mommie years in peace...Love The Words Of a SINGLE MOMMIE
Lisa Burr

Fayetteville, TN

#18 Jun 28, 2008
Brokenhearted grandma wrote:
Are you dealing with Dickson Co by any chance ? Because the DHS workers there ,they don't care about us or the kids or their job for that matter . In our situation they took my grandkids out of a perfectly good home ,have moved the children 3 times and have proven my daughter not guilty of anything and still have not put the family back together because it will embarrass them . They even wrote a report that says she is a great mom and us infounded ....SO what's the problem with DHS of TENNESSEE,They do not know how to do their job .And i also did not get choice to take my grandchildren home with me .
I'll Be Praying for your Family
Lisa B
Grammy Burr

Fayetteville, TN

#19 Jun 28, 2008
Well how about Dickson Co.? What is gone wrong there? In April a DCS worker and Their Forensic Investigators decided to take my grandchildren out of thier mother's home ?They were charging her with neglect because of something a counsler said. Since then they (DCS) have said "What a good mommy Nadine is and that they were to hasty in making that decision " . But they have done nothing to rectify the problem ,my grandchildren are still not home i have not been able to see them since April 11th and they did thier little investigation and found my daughter to be unfounded ,doesn't that mean not guilty ? My Daughter Nadine is a great Mom anyone who know 's her will say and even State workers have wrote in her file ,"More mothers should be like her ".She was a stay at home mom ,the kids were in sports ,went to church and doing good in school ,the older girls were even in counsling at Vanderbilt for behavior disorders .
So why are my grandchildren not home ,we don't know . But we are being told it is because They don't wanna tell Judge Jackson that they made a mistake . I don't know why they would let these babies suffer because of thier embarrassment. Seems like we talk about how much money the State of Tn. is wasting , Why are they holding children in the system that could be home ? There are plenty of neglected children in this country that need help.My grandchildren are just babies .They are 9/7/5 and the baby turned 2 in May ,while in custody and noone could share that with her except strangers .Because Dhs won't just say "Oh we messed up ,Sorry "
One very upset Grammy
Foster Parent

Nashville, TN

#20 Jun 29, 2008
I work with DCS on a daily basis and they are wonderful. I am sorry for the bad stories i hear. My prayers go out to each of you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brentwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dee henry-jenkins (Jan '10) 4 hr ctclark666 18
Negroes and crime 11 hr moron 17
C.O.C. or The Confederation of Clubs (Jun '10) 14 hr Snap 40
News Nashville Custodian Retires After Three Decades Thu I used to be someone 1
Teens charged in Gatlinburg fire Thu I used to be someone 3
What is going on at Channel 4 in Nashville? Thu run on deluxe 83
News Kroger to add new stores, jobs to Nashville area (May '16) Aug '16 Fatty Matty 3

Brentwood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brentwood Mortgages