Harpeth bike race sheds new light on ...

Harpeth bike race sheds new light on biking here

There are 2 comments on the The Tennessean story from Jun 10, 2011, titled Harpeth bike race sheds new light on biking here. In it, The Tennessean reports that:

When 1,500 bicyclists swoop along county roads Saturday for the Harpeth River Ride, it will be little more than three months since an ardent cyclist was nearly killed in a traffic accident along Highway 96.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Tennessean.

TS Farmer

Bon Aqua, TN

#1 Jun 10, 2011
In Thompsons Station, after last year's ride we asked the Mayor and Alderman to address the danger of having 1500 bikes on the roads here. I think most in town support bike riding but our roads are not a safe place to have riders stretched out 3-4 wide at the same time we are trying to move hay, and tractors on the road. There are no bike lanes and no shoulders on the roads. The edges where bikes should be ridden were ruined by TDOT when they built the bridge over TS Road. Further, there are several places in the road where you can't see bike riders around a curve.

These issues would be cause less risk if the riders would stay on the side of the road but they just won't do it and someone is going to get killed for the sake of a few selfish suburbanites who want the best of both worlds and to ride their bikes in the country..

I think the Harpeth Bike Club is irresponsible and arrogant to put people in danger when the risks have been clearly stated. I think this same issue was adressed in Cheatham County after bicyclists ignored concerns expressed about the same danger on highway 100- whuih is now CLOSED to bike traffic.

If the bike club can't get their riders to follow some simple rules and ride in a single line on the edge of the road I hope the county will close Thompsons Station Road and Carter's Creek Pike to bikes...we work on these roads, the last thing I want is to have to live with the thoughts of running over a hapless bike rider..
a biker

Franklin, TN

#2 Mar 18, 2012
A bike rider has the same rights and responsibilities as other vehicles on the rode. While I understand your concerns, your comments seem a bit biased against bikers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brentwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
no show 54 min wild cherry 23
Arvin Minsaas (Oct '13) 7 hr exroman 4
News Dolly Parton's family life subject of TV movie 9 hr Elsie Layton 1
Kirk Comiskey dba Nashville Music Productions (Jan '09) 9 hr Maria Elena Gordon 29
My maserati does 185 9 hr Fink Ployd 1
Quality Control is Out the Door in Immigration ... 12 hr Culture Auditor 1
Hottest local news anchor.... (Feb '11) 13 hr Chowder 2,455
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brentwood Mortgages