Neglect at Tenn. Nursing Home Caused Resident's Fatal Overdose, Brother Says

Oct 21, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: FindLaw

By KEVIN MCVEIGH, ESQ., Andrews Publications Staff Writer A deceased nursing home resident's brother has filed a federal lawsuit alleging that his sister died from an overdose of pain medication negligently ... via FindLaw

Comments
1 - 20 of 43 Comments Last updated Sep 14, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Local citizen

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Dec 16, 2007
 
Laurel Manor isn't the only nursing home in Claiborne County to be a problem. Claiborne Nursing Home, attached to the hospital, will do anything to keep patients in their care rather than letting family members care for them. They won't even keep them on the medications that they were prescribed upon entering the facility. It seems to me that Alzheimer's meds would be important meds to stay on. Of course their facility doctors are over worked surgeons instead of actual family doctors, so I am sure that explains alot of their problem.
sorry

Troy, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 17, 2008
 
i guess no one care that our elderly are being mistreated. lets just kill them off so we wont haf to interfer with our lifes
my uncle

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 17, 2008
 
my uncle was put in claiborne co Nursing home in july, he made it 5 days, he had already gotten bed sores, they move the old people up front where the nurses station is and set them in chairs, they do not take them to the bathroom or move them in comfortable positions, we went to see my uncle and his arms were in horrible positions he was in misery. I have had other older people ask me to take them and put them in bed, they are miserable sitting in those chairs all day, I would never put another person in that place, also they charged 8 dollars a day for those little box of tissues and my uncle did not even use them. at 180.00 a day for a bed I think they could do a better job!
klc

Brentwood, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 21, 2008
 
my aunt is in one inbetween harriman and rockwood tn there was a nurse that hit her i think they fired her my uncle took her home but was not able to keep her had to take her back now someone stays with her all day and as long as they could ....

Since: Apr 07

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 28, 2008
 
You have the right as a son, daughter or wife of an elderly family member to remove an elderly family member from a nursing home that refuses to follow an outside doctors orders of patient care.

My dad was in Briarcliff Manor here in Oak Ridge Tennessee just after having hip replacement surgery. I caught the nursing staff yelling at my dad for going to the bathroom by himself. He was under doctors orders to be up and walking on his own.

I informed the nurse that we were taking my dad home. The nurses informed me that I would not be allowed to remove him without their doctors prior approval. I told the Nurses that I was taking him Against Medical Advice and it would be a very cold day in Hayties before they would see another dime out of his insurance or my parents.

Shortly after we removed him from Briarcliff we were told that he had a staff infection in both of his feet from bed soars. We fought with my dad for 18 months to get him back on his feet. My dad did twice the exercises the physical therapists told him to do while getting up and walking on his own every where we went. He fought extremely hard to be able to walk again and was finally able to take 4 steps without his walker and anyone holding him up. My mother and I changed his bandaged and made sure he got all of his meds on time.

I strongly feel that the only way short of sueing them which in the long run only hurts the people living in the nursing homes is for family members to step up and care for their elderly parent themselves if they can. We need to stop this putting people in nursing homes when they become a burden or an inconvenience.

My mother just turned 83 and we closed down her crafts shop last month. She is taking me to Florida with her next week to visit relatives then we are going to Scotland in September.

When my mother needs intensive care I will most likely move back in with her to give her the care she needs. I refuse to allow her to suffer the way my dad did before he died. The staff infection finally killed him a week after his 80th birthday.

Now I realize that not everyone is able to care for an elderly parent but I also know that there are a lot of people who are able but for whatever reason refuse.

Illegal FREE Tennessee !!!!!

http://jimhaydensworld.com/
country girl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 30, 2008
 
i use to work at 2 of the nursing homes in claiborne and i didn't like the way they were ran so i decided to resign from the nursing homes, i would rather be job less than take part in the working for places like that, they get people that don't care working for them, the workers are only there for the money and they don't care how they treat the residents, they just want that money. I was going to school to be a nurse, but after i worked in a nursing home i decided that i don't want to be a part of that way of living in any sort of way, if i was a nurse and knew what went on i would feel horrible about how the people under me was treating my residents
Melissa Wilson

New Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 30, 2008
 
That makes me mad to know that someone would hit an elderly person, I would probably have went off on the nurse.
klc wrote:
my aunt is in one inbetween harriman and rockwood tn there was a nurse that hit her i think they fired her my uncle took her home but was not able to keep her had to take her back now someone stays with her all day and as long as they could ....
PISSED OFF BY JUDING

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Feb 9, 2008
 
Claiborne county nursing home is the best nursing home around ... they are very good with there residents there and they also take excellent care of them. If you seen that they were not taking care of one of your family members why didnt you take them out and put them some where else ....another thing when you see them sitting up front .. most of them dont have family to come in and see them ..and they dont like them lying in a room by themselves all the time staring at the walls or out a window...when their up there they get talked to more and even outsiders take time to say a few words with them .....its very sad situation .... ive seen so many people get put in up there and never does one family member come in and see them ... until they get the call that they are getting worse ..then thats when you get the whole family up there fussing and fighting about who gets what ..... where were they at when they were up walking and wondering where is my family or have you seen any of my family today .... can you make a call and let so and so know where im at ... or can you please call my daughter or son .. up so i can at least say hi ... and that i love them ..... no one is ever there to answer the phone....or no one is ever there when they need someone to talk to ....but the whole family comes when they are taking there last breath ...its a shame .... i love my people there .. i would do anything for them they are my second family ..... come in and check out claiborne and then go to laural manor and tell me which one you like the best .........check the state reports and points on which ones the best ...... dont judge a place by one persons oppion...and one more thing ..... come in and talk to family members and see how many people get moved to cla... from laural manor ..and how much they like it better at ccnh ........ITS A MUCH BETTER PLACE .....SORRY IF THIS HURTS ANYONES FEELINGS BUT THE TRUTH HURTS SOMETIMES ......
PISSED OFF BY JUDING

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 9, 2008
 
Melissa Wilson wrote:
That makes me mad to know that someone would hit an elderly person, I would probably have went off on the nurse.
<quoted text>
I WOULD REPORT SOMEONE IN A HEART BEAT IF I SEEN THEM HIT OR EVEN SPEAK MEAN TO ONE OF THE RESIDENTS THERE ....ITS NOT THEIR CHOICE TO BE THERE AND WHEN YOU WALK INTO THE NURSING HOMES YOU TREAT THEM WITH RESPECT BECAUSE YOU ARE ENTERING THEIR HOME !!!!!!
yeah right

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 10, 2008
 
PISSED OFF BY JUDING wrote:
Claiborne county nursing home is the best nursing home around ... they are very good with there residents there and they also take excellent care of them. If you seen that they were not taking care of one of your family members why didnt you take them out and put them some where else ....another thing when you see them sitting up front .. most of them dont have family to come in and see them ..and they dont like them lying in a room by themselves all the time staring at the walls or out a window...when their up there they get talked to more and even outsiders take time to say a few words with them .....its very sad situation .... ive seen so many people get put in up there and never does one family member come in and see them ... until they get the call that they are getting worse ..then thats when you get the whole family up there fussing and fighting about who gets what ..... where were they at when they were up walking and wondering where is my family or have you seen any of my family today .... can you make a call and let so and so know where im at ... or can you please call my daughter or son .. up so i can at least say hi ... and that i love them ..... no one is ever there to answer the phone....or no one is ever there when they need someone to talk to ....but the whole family comes when they are taking there last breath ...its a shame .... i love my people there .. i would do anything for them they are my second family ..... come in and check out claiborne and then go to laural manor and tell me which one you like the best .........check the state reports and points on which ones the best ...... dont judge a place by one persons oppion...and one more thing ..... come in and talk to family members and see how many people get moved to cla... from laural manor ..and how much they like it better at ccnh ........ITS A MUCH BETTER PLACE .....SORRY IF THIS HURTS ANYONES FEELINGS BUT THE TRUTH HURTS SOMETIMES ......
The Reason we didn't take our uncle out of that nursing home is he DIED the very next morning, we were up there all the time, and every time he was soaking wet, WE CHANGED HIM, He was in there FOUR days and He got BED SORES, they put him up front and he had fell down in that chair his arms and hands was twisted all up and He Suffered that night he died Terrible, our cousin has went up there that morning and they know her at that home he had been sitting in the chair up front since 3 am, she made them Change him at 12:00 we got up thre at 4:00 he was soaking wet again, We would have taken him if had not died, I visited others in that nursing home whom I did not know and I was personally asked by those old ladies that were up front to take them back to bed, the nurses said no, she would but 2 hours later that little lady was still there, alarm going off, which I fixed because no nurse did! yeah they are some good caring nurses but there are some that don't care, I WOULD NEVER AGAIN PUT A LOVED ONE IN THAT NURSING HOME! NEVER! NEVER! if that hurts your feelings to BAD!
Melissa Wilson

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Feb 10, 2008
 
I have visited this nursing home several times, and have never seen any abuse, what I said was IF I ever saw a nurse hit an elderly patient I would probably go off. I have the most respect for all of these workers at the nursing home, Lord knows they are doing a job that I admit, I couldn't handle.
PISSED OFF BY JUDING wrote:
<quoted text>I WOULD REPORT SOMEONE IN A HEART BEAT IF I SEEN THEM HIT OR EVEN SPEAK MEAN TO ONE OF THE RESIDENTS THERE ....ITS NOT THEIR CHOICE TO BE THERE AND WHEN YOU WALK INTO THE NURSING HOMES YOU TREAT THEM WITH RESPECT BECAUSE YOU ARE ENTERING THEIR HOME !!!!!!
PISSED OFF BY JUDING

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 10, 2008
 
yeah right wrote:
<quoted text>
The Reason we didn't take our uncle out of that nursing home is he DIED the very next morning, we were up there all the time, and every time he was soaking wet, WE CHANGED HIM, He was in there FOUR days and He got BED SORES, they put him up front and he had fell down in that chair his arms and hands was twisted all up and He Suffered that night he died Terrible, our cousin has went up there that morning and they know her at that home he had been sitting in the chair up front since 3 am, she made them Change him at 12:00 we got up thre at 4:00 he was soaking wet again, We would have taken him if had not died, I visited others in that nursing home whom I did not know and I was personally asked by those old ladies that were up front to take them back to bed, the nurses said no, she would but 2 hours later that little lady was still there, alarm going off, which I fixed because no nurse did! yeah they are some good caring nurses but there are some that don't care, I WOULD NEVER AGAIN PUT A LOVED ONE IN THAT NURSING HOME! NEVER! NEVER! if that hurts your feelings to BAD!
I NEVER STATED THAT YOU DIDNT COME AND VISIT .... IM SAYING THE ONES WHO DIDNT COME AND SEE THERE LOVED ONES ...YES IF I CAME IN AND SAW MY FAMILY MEMBER WET ID BE UPSET TO AND DO THE SAME THING AND TAKE IT UP ON MYSELF TO CHANGE THEM ..... BUT THE ONES THAT ARE SITTING UP IN THE CHAIRS ... THEY WANT TO GO BACK TO BED ...THINKING SOMEONE MIGHT COME IN AND SEE THEM AND NOT BE ABLE TO FIND THEM ..AND AGAIN SOME OF THE FAMILY MEMBER REQUEST THEM BE UP FOR SO LONG SO THEY JUST DONT LIE IN BED ALL THE TIME ... SO YOU HAVE GOT TO LOOK AT IT IN DIFFERENT WAYS .... AND I HATE TO HEAR THAT ABOUT YOUR UNCLE I REALLY DO ...
PISSED OFF BY JUDING

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Feb 10, 2008
 
country girl wrote:
i use to work at 2 of the nursing homes in claiborne and i didn't like the way they were ran so i decided to resign from the nursing homes, i would rather be job less than take part in the working for places like that, they get people that don't care working for them, the workers are only there for the money and they don't care how they treat the residents, they just want that money. I was going to school to be a nurse, but after i worked in a nursing home i decided that i don't want to be a part of that way of living in any sort of way, if i was a nurse and knew what went on i would feel horrible about how the people under me was treating my residents
THE WAY I SEE IT UP SHOULDVE KEPT UP WITH THE NURSING AND STEP UP ..AND PUSH THE OTHERS ONES OUT THEY NEED PEOPLE WHO CARE NOT THE ONES THAT DONT .... IF YOU WERE GOING TO BE A GOOD NURSE AND REALLY CARED YOU WOULDNT SIT BACK AND WATCH IT YOU WOULDVE PUT A STOP TO SHIT LIKE THAT .... THEY NEED GOOD AND HONEST PEOPLE CARING FOR THEM ...
U MakeMyBloodBoil

Troy, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Feb 18, 2008
 
my uncle wrote:
my uncle was put in claiborne co Nursing home in july, he made it 5 days, he had already gotten bed sores, they move the old people up front where the nurses station is and set them in chairs, they do not take them to the bathroom or move them in comfortable positions, we went to see my uncle and his arms were in horrible positions he was in misery. I have had other older people ask me to take them and put them in bed, they are miserable sitting in those chairs all day, I would never put another person in that place, also they charged 8 dollars a day for those little box of tissues and my uncle did not even use them. at 180.00 a day for a bed I think they could do a better job!
Hate to burst ur bubble darlin but not only is this lies you need to know what your lying about..the "bed sores" was already forming when he got there ...if you looked I am sure you would have seen red areas when he was admitted...they can develope in 2 hours but the signs are there way before.If it's the facts I think the staff would have heard of your law suite by now...your running out of time. I am sorry for the loss of your uncle but slamming others is not the answer...the staff there does the best they can! You ever worked in a Nursing Home? People like you are what gives them a bad name but ignore the fact if you was so careing what are you doing to help those people? 20 years ago facilities had plenty staff to provide the care the elderly deserved but you can thank your Goverment for all the cutbacks which means less money, less staff! As a healthcare worker I can say it has nothing to do with careing because God knows I love those people but when you run like a dog and can't get all they need done because of short staff and shortage on people who care you have a problem. People like you who don't appreciate anything make me wish I had went into another field but then I think if I was like you I would not be there! We need more help so MR MOUTH why don't you stand up to your Government and put the blame where it should be?
U MakeMyBloodBoil

Troy, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Feb 18, 2008
 
country girl wrote:
i use to work at 2 of the nursing homes in claiborne and i didn't like the way they were ran so i decided to resign from the nursing homes, i would rather be job less than take part in the working for places like that, they get people that don't care working for them, the workers are only there for the money and they don't care how they treat the residents, they just want that money. I was going to school to be a nurse, but after i worked in a nursing home i decided that i don't want to be a part of that way of living in any sort of way, if i was a nurse and knew what went on i would feel horrible about how the people under me was treating my residents
First of all I thank you for getting out of nursing...we don't need people in it like you, we need more that are willing to give their best to make a difference for these people!Don't know who you are but I I'm sure we worked together and I would have gladly gave you my opinion. We are there for the money? Man I have been in this for over 20 years and I must have missed something...people in factories are treated much better...they get great health insurance, make pretty dang good money and don't get slammed for trying to take care of other people etc...If you had stayed in the nursing home long enough to qualify for the wonderful health benefits you would have known the insurance is so bad the "healthcare" staff can't afford a Doctor! But we can provide good care to people like you who can just up and walk away from the ones they "care" About! And sister I have worked as a CNA for years, and worked my way thru school to be a nurse to help others, and NOBODY works UNDER me! You have a bad attitude toward life...need to learn to work together and not that others are UNDER YOU! Called team work hon
yeah right

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Feb 18, 2008
 
U MakeMyBloodBoil wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to burst ur bubble darlin but not only is this lies you need to know what your lying about..the "bed sores" was already forming when he got there ...if you looked I am sure you would have seen red areas when he was admitted...they can develope in 2 hours but the signs are there way before.If it's the facts I think the staff would have heard of your law suite by now...your running out of time. I am sorry for the loss of your uncle but slamming others is not the answer...the staff there does the best they can! You ever worked in a Nursing Home? People like you are what gives them a bad name but ignore the fact if you was so careing what are you doing to help those people? 20 years ago facilities had plenty staff to provide the care the elderly deserved but you can thank your Goverment for all the cutbacks which means less money, less staff! As a healthcare worker I can say it has nothing to do with careing because God knows I love those people but when you run like a dog and can't get all they need done because of short staff and shortage on people who care you have a problem. People like you who don't appreciate anything make me wish I had went into another field but then I think if I was like you I would not be there! We need more help so MR MOUTH why don't you stand up to your Government and put the blame where it should be?
Yeah Right, You are probably the one that hits and smacks the elderly, and Lie right to their face "I'll be right back" you probably are the one that pushes them up to the front so you want have to take your FAT butt back down to the room and check on them, I would hate to have seen the shape my uncle was in if my family and I had not been there, asking for help, at ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY DOLLARS A DAY, I expect more than what you or any other workers are given to the Elderly at The Nursing home!
yeah right

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Feb 18, 2008
 
U MakeMyBloodBoil wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to burst ur bubble darlin but not only is this lies you need to know what your lying about..the "bed sores" was already forming when he got there ...if you looked I am sure you would have seen red areas when he was admitted...they can develope in 2 hours but the signs are there way before.If it's the facts I think the staff would have heard of your law suite by now...your running out of time. I am sorry for the loss of your uncle but slamming others is not the answer...the staff there does the best they can! You ever worked in a Nursing Home? People like you are what gives them a bad name but ignore the fact if you was so careing what are you doing to help those people? 20 years ago facilities had plenty staff to provide the care the elderly deserved but you can thank your Goverment for all the cutbacks which means less money, less staff! As a healthcare worker I can say it has nothing to do with careing because God knows I love those people but when you run like a dog and can't get all they need done because of short staff and shortage on people who care you have a problem. People like you who don't appreciate anything make me wish I had went into another field but then I think if I was like you I would not be there! We need more help so MR MOUTH why don't you stand up to your Government and put the blame where it should be?
I guess those bed sored come for CLaiborne county hospital because he was there 4 days before he got put in the nursing home, they are Worse then the nursing home, they should SHUT YOU ALL DOWN, I take me family to Knoxville now, even if its an infected toenail!
yeah right

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Feb 18, 2008
 
U MakeMyBloodBoil wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to burst ur bubble darlin but not only is this lies you need to know what your lying about..the "bed sores" was already forming when he got there ...if you looked I am sure you would have seen red areas when he was admitted...they can develope in 2 hours but the signs are there way before.If it's the facts I think the staff would have heard of your law suite by now...your running out of time. I am sorry for the loss of your uncle but slamming others is not the answer...the staff there does the best they can! You ever worked in a Nursing Home? People like you are what gives them a bad name but ignore the fact if you was so careing what are you doing to help those people? 20 years ago facilities had plenty staff to provide the care the elderly deserved but you can thank your Goverment for all the cutbacks which means less money, less staff! As a healthcare worker I can say it has nothing to do with careing because God knows I love those people but when you run like a dog and can't get all they need done because of short staff and shortage on people who care you have a problem. People like you who don't appreciate anything make me wish I had went into another field but then I think if I was like you I would not be there! We need more help so MR MOUTH why don't you stand up to your Government and put the blame where it should be?
DO NOT CHARGE 8.00 DOLLARS FOR A BOX OF TISSUES A DAY, DO NOT OVER CHARGE, MAYBE THEN YOU MIGHT HAVE THE MONEY FOR MORE HELP! I DID NOT LIE EVERYTHING I SAID IS THE TRUTH, NOW HOW MANY LIES HAVE YOU TOLD!
get facts straight

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Aug 10, 2010
 
i work at the nursing home and i am sorry about your uncle but if we had him he was turned every 2 hours or hour and was dry we like to keep our residents dry and yeah it is ppl like you that give us a bad name and there is a couple ppl that sit up front bc they try and get out of bed so how about you get your facts straight before you open you mouth and also ppl we get from the hospital any hospital and other nursing homes and home health and from home has had the worst bed sores i have ever seen and we get them back to good health and when one of the residents pass away we take it to heart bc they are like family
notonthedraw

New Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Aug 10, 2010
 
I know that there are isolated situations where the residents are "neglected" but not from lack of interest, but instead lack of help to take care of the number of patients that they have. There is a BIG difference. I love my residents as my own family, in fact I see them more than I see my family. and for anyone to get on here and say any different is ludacris!!!!!!!! Have you ever had to care for 34 residents, all wanting something at the same time? Yes, some will have to wait, unless you are a cyborg and have 200 hands!!!!!! I do the best that I can and am making myself physically ill to do my job. I never sit down, take a break, or eat lunch, even though it is deducted automatically from my check. I cannot vouch for every nursing home worker, only myself. I care for homeless people, thieves and murderers where I work. I cannot last long in my job because it is destroying my health. I make less than any other nurse in my profession, the employees buy the little things our residents want and need, WE bring birthday presents to patients that have no family or a family that does not care, WE comfort them when they want to go home and there is no home to go to and no family member wants them, WE are there at Christmas time when there is no family. Now knowing this, I triple dog dare you to tell me I am not committed to my second family and that I am not doing a good job and that you can do better........ huh, I thought not.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Brentwood Discussions

Search the Brentwood Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 57 min WTSenior 140,774
BNA Kids Talent Agency 5 hr FilmSetGuy 2
Hottest local news anchor.... (Feb '11) 6 hr jumpy 1,436
Tn was site of the largest drug bust in history 8 hr common 1
WARNING AIG Company in Brentwood 9 hr HOBBS 10
Valentine Ogbunugafor (Oct '09) 13 hr jayvee 2
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 13 hr WTH 8,944
•••
•••
•••
•••

Brentwood Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Brentwood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Brentwood News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Brentwood
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••