Rental property developers see Williamson demand

Oct 24, 2011 Full story: The Tennessean 15

Michelle Schwantes says she loves the view from her balcony in Dwell at McEwen in Franklin.

Full Story
OhMy

United States

#1 Oct 24, 2011
What? There is still a middle class in need of housing units? They are moving in next door? No No No!!!!!!!!! lol. Too funny. Great article. Just a little sad and pitiful about some peoples attitudes toward the middle class. If they can't handle sending their kids to school with middle class kids they'll have to move on and go further out in the woods somewhere.lol. Hurry,have more land designated by the state as off limits for any development. Scenic byways. Environmentally sensitive.Historically preserved. Whatever will keep em the hell out and keep us from paying too much in taxes etc. Some of them might say words like"Ya'll" or "Howdy Neighbor"!!!!!!! OMG NO.
Middle class me

United States

#2 Oct 24, 2011
Hope nobody expects much of a welcome wagon there. Especially kids of single parents according to the article. Very creepy undertones and messages of not being welcome or wanted because your single parent mom made less money last year than your multi millionaire neighbors did, may not be a good thing to expose any young children to.
Middle class me

United States

#3 Oct 24, 2011
Some say the inspiration for the song Harper Valley PTA which was written by Tom T Hall while living in Franklin, came as he was passing by the Harpeth Valley Elementary School near there. It's said he liked the sound of the name so he chose a similar name for the song which he reportedly wrote about a town in Kentucky where he grew up. Ha Ha Ha Ha lol lol. How ironic that song was written in that area and today the news is that some people around there have said they don't want their children going to the same school as kids from single parent families.
Middle class me

United States

#4 Oct 24, 2011
Tom T Hall would be a good neighbor is my guess. A real human being. Not a holier than thou dirt bag to the common working man or woman that the more than 6 million of us who bought that record are mostly made of. I say, Move on in to Williamson County and enjoy the easy commute to work,the new apartments and condos and those of your new neighbors who are not stuck up snooty creepy weirdos.

“Ill Bill's the Best”

Since: Oct 11

Icno's Sock Drawer

#5 Oct 24, 2011
I think that you both are completely missing the point. Of course, I'm not surprised that you have focused solely on the immaterial details of the article, rather than the meat. Irrespective of whether or not there will be a "welcome wagon", "Tom T. Hall would make a good neighbor" or "some can't handle sending their kids to school with middle class kids", zoning has passed and construction is underway, making acceptance imminent.
Even at the opposition of some less than tolerant people, the county officials recognized an unfulfilled need for affordable housing for the middle class and have set the plan in motion. Kudos to them.

With Nashville being the Healthcare Mecca of the United States and many of those jobs being located in Williamson County, particularly Brentwood and Cool Springs, coupled with our shift to a convenience society and the ongoing property tax revenues that the county will gain for such developments, makes this a win-win. This can be seen, generally, as nothing other than a positive step for the community.

The Town Center development will be located two buildings down from my office. It was exciting to learn of the addition and to see the beginnings on land preparation. The more diverse housing options in the area for young professionals, working couples, and families where both parents work outside of the home will assist them in achieving what most of us desire; more time in our day and an easier way of life. I have honestly thought about selling my home and moving when the development is complete.
OhMy

United States

#6 Oct 24, 2011
charlie_Girl wrote:
I think that you both are completely missing the point. Of course, I'm not surprised that you have focused solely on the immaterial details of the article, rather than the meat. Irrespective of whether or not there will be a "welcome wagon", "Tom T. Hall would make a good neighbor" or "some can't handle sending their kids to school with middle class kids", zoning has passed and construction is underway, making acceptance imminent.
Even at the opposition of some less than tolerant people, the county officials recognized an unfulfilled need for affordable housing for the middle class and have set the plan in motion. Kudos to them.
With Nashville being the Healthcare Mecca of the United States and many of those jobs being located in Williamson County, particularly Brentwood and Cool Springs, coupled with our shift to a convenience society and the ongoing property tax revenues that the county will gain for such developments, makes this a win-win. This can be seen, generally, as nothing other than a positive step for the community.
The Town Center development will be located two buildings down from my office. It was exciting to learn of the addition and to see the beginnings on land preparation. The more diverse housing options in the area for young professionals, working couples, and families where both parents work outside of the home will assist them in achieving what most of us desire; more time in our day and an easier way of life. I have honestly thought about selling my home and moving when the development is complete.
Opposition of some less than tolerant people? Meaning single moms or single parent families should be tolerated? I appreciate the reporter including all the facts thought to be material to this story including the facts you have decided are immaterial to you.Kudos to the reporter for an informative and honest article. Ongoing tax revenues the county will gain? Sure because in the state,the locations with the highest income per capita pay the lowest property taxes. Look up where those places are.They have to get it from somewhere. Now go wipe that brown stuff off your nose and enjoy your new place soon.

“Ill Bill's the Best”

Icno's Sock Drawer

#7 Oct 24, 2011
OhMy wrote:
<quoted text>Opposition of some less than tolerant people? Meaning single moms or single parent families should be tolerated? I appreciate the reporter including all the facts thought to be material to this story including the facts you have decided are immaterial to you.Kudos to the reporter for an informative and honest article. Ongoing tax revenues the county will gain? Sure because in the state,the locations with the highest income per capita pay the lowest property taxes. Look up where those places are.They have to get it from somewhere. Now go wipe that brown stuff off your nose and enjoy your new place soon.
Actually, yes. People should, at a minimum, be tolerable of other people so long as those people are not creating harmful or hazardous situations for themselves or their family. I know that you probably would like for me to say something along the lines of "single parent families should be accepted with open arms". But the fact of the matter is this: it is not your, my, or anyone else's place to dictate to others what they should or should not like or agree with. That is their right as free and productive members of society, like it or not. Your judgment of those who do not agree with your beliefs simply shows your lack of tolerance.

I will agree that the property taxes in Brentwood are lower than that of surrounding cities, however the property taxes in Cool Springs is higher than that of most. Did it ever occur to you that the reason that the property taxes in Brentwood might be lower (and we are talking about a margin of roughly 10% compared to surrounding counties Cheatham, Dickson, and Sumner) because the value of the homes located there is much higher in comparison? Therefore, the amount of tax revenues generated will be higher even if the rate is lower. Not to mention, that it is a well populated area with both homes and industry. The industry also generates a good amount of revenues for the city through sales tax, thus enabling the property taxes to remain lower. I am sure you aren't intelligent enough to think through any of those factors. I'm glad I could help you out.

Now take your head out of your ass because I think the oxygen deprivation is making you stupid.
OhMy

United States

#8 Oct 24, 2011
charlie_Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, yes. People should, at a minimum, be tolerable of other people so long as those people are not creating harmful or hazardous situations for themselves or their family. I know that you probably would like for me to say something along the lines of "single parent families should be accepted with open arms". But the fact of the matter is this: it is not your, my, or anyone else's place to dictate to others what they should or should not like or agree with. That is their right as free and productive members of society, like it or not. Your judgment of those who do not agree with your beliefs simply shows your lack of tolerance.
I will agree that the property taxes in Brentwood are lower than that of surrounding cities, however the property taxes in Cool Springs is higher than that of most. Did it ever occur to you that the reason that the property taxes in Brentwood might be lower (and we are talking about a margin of roughly 10% compared to surrounding counties Cheatham, Dickson, and Sumner) because the value of the homes located there is much higher in comparison? Therefore, the amount of tax revenues generated will be higher even if the rate is lower. Not to mention, that it is a well populated area with both homes and industry. The industry also generates a good amount of revenues for the city through sales tax, thus enabling the property taxes to remain lower. I am sure you aren't intelligent enough to think through any of those factors. I'm glad I could help you out.
Now take your head out of your ass because I think the oxygen deprivation is making you stupid.
You are just a delight to me. You have no idea how I love a good laugh. There simply is no other response I can give because you've got me laughing so hard. Thank you Honey.It was precious. Your Lucille Ball logic crossed with that Dracula attitude was precious. I'm sure you are much loved in the community. You're probably a good representation of a lot of folks there which was exactly the point. Thanks again and don't be mad, just keep wiping because it's still there.

“Ill Bill's the Best”

Icno's Sock Drawer

#9 Oct 24, 2011
OhMy wrote:
<quoted text> You are just a delight to me. You have no idea how I love a good laugh. There simply is no other response I can give because you've got me laughing so hard. Thank you Honey.It was precious. Your Lucille Ball logic crossed with that Dracula attitude was precious. I'm sure you are much loved in the community. You're probably a good representation of a lot of folks there which was exactly the point. Thanks again and don't be mad, just keep wiping because it's still there.
I don't even live in that community, but do commute to work there. Guess you weren't paying attention or don't read above a second grade level. But in the one in which I do reside, I am very well respected, loved, and appreciated for my ongoing community service. I would provide you with a list of those activities, but there isn't enough character space in this dialogue box. I'm glad I could provide you with some comic relief. We both know it is because you couldn't comprehend what I said and didn't know what else to do. You really should try not to be so bitter; it makes life much less enjoyable.

“Ill Bill's the Best”

Icno's Sock Drawer

#10 Oct 24, 2011
OhMy wrote:
<quoted text>Opposition of some less than tolerant people? Meaning single moms or single parent families should be tolerated? I appreciate the reporter including all the facts thought to be material to this story including the facts you have decided are immaterial to you.Kudos to the reporter for an informative and honest article. Ongoing tax revenues the county will gain? Sure because in the state,the locations with the highest income per capita pay the lowest property taxes. Look up where those places are.They have to get it from somewhere. Now go wipe that brown stuff off your nose and enjoy your new place soon.
AND it doesn't matter if the property taxes are higher or lower... It is still ADDITIONAL revenues for the county either way.
OhMy

United States

#11 Oct 24, 2011
charlie_Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't even live in that community, but do commute to work there. Guess you weren't paying attention or don't read above a second grade level. But in the one in which I do reside, I am very well respected, loved, and appreciated for my ongoing community service. I would provide you with a list of those activities, but there isn't enough character space in this dialogue box. I'm glad I could provide you with some comic relief. We both know it is because you couldn't comprehend what I said and didn't know what else to do. You really should try not to be so bitter; it makes life much less enjoyable.
Charlie Girl,sorry. You probably could list your community service activities a mile long. My Dad died young. At 12 in the 6th grade all the girls were handed an invitation to the Father/Daughter dinner to bring home,for the event the following week, except me. The teacher was kind enough to explain in front of the class that I didn't get one because I didn't have a father to take me to the dinner. My mother saw me cry that night and found out. The night of the dinner my mother dressed herself in a mens suit and tie and put her hair up under a stylish mens hat. She hummed the tune to Harper Valley PTA in the car all the way to school. My teacher was there. My mother explained to her that she was both my mother and my father now. We had a wonderful evening. The other fathers and my classmates totally enjoyed her costume and her guts. I may be a little sensitive about people who would look down on a kid without a Dad. When I read statements like that, you know about not wanting their kids to be in school with kids from single parent families, I can't help finding it a little sickening. I'm sure the growth that's coming won't be hated by all. Keep on with your community service. Sorry about the brown nose comment. Going to take an anti bitter long hot soak in the tub now.
No Name

United States

#12 Oct 25, 2011
OhMy wrote:
<quoted text>Charlie Girl,sorry. You probably could list your community service activities a mile long. My Dad died young. At 12 in the 6th grade all the girls were handed an invitation to the Father/Daughter dinner to bring home,for the event the following week, except me. The teacher was kind enough to explain in front of the class that I didn't get one because I didn't have a father to take me to the dinner. My mother saw me cry that night and found out. The night of the dinner my mother dressed herself in a mens suit and tie and put her hair up under a stylish mens hat. She hummed the tune to Harper Valley PTA in the car all the way to school. My teacher was there. My mother explained to her that she was both my mother and my father now. We had a wonderful evening. The other fathers and my classmates totally enjoyed her costume and her guts. I may be a little sensitive about people who would look down on a kid without a Dad. When I read statements like that, you know about not wanting their kids to be in school with kids from single parent families, I can't help finding it a little sickening. I'm sure the growth that's coming won't be hated by all. Keep on with your community service. Sorry about the brown nose comment. Going to take an anti bitter long hot soak in the tub now.
A generation of the widows and orphans of Vietnam Vets considered that song a spiritual in a way. Not a praise song to God but a strengthening song in cases where keeping their chins up was made so much more difficult by idiots during those many years after the war.
OhMy

United States

#13 Oct 25, 2011
charlie_Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
AND it doesn't matter if the property taxes are higher or lower... It is still ADDITIONAL revenues for the county either way.
Remember you thought that when you discover those additional revenues get spent fast on new sewer/water landfill or whatever systems and projects. Don't forget certain pay raises for certain individuals they will likely be spent on as well. Also remember I have not said that the growth itself is a bad thing. You just need to be triple sure you have good honest planners and officials. It's not a song and dance party time or an under the table or bumping elbows at the bar, deal time. If it is you'll find out in the future the new apartments and condos have begun to look like crap and the county is in need of additional revenue, just about the time your kids, if you have any, might be growing up.

“Ill Bill's the Best”

Icno's Sock Drawer

#14 Oct 25, 2011
OhMy wrote:
<quoted text> Remember you thought that when you discover those additional revenues get spent fast on new sewer/water landfill or whatever systems and projects. Don't forget certain pay raises for certain individuals they will likely be spent on as well. Also remember I have not said that the growth itself is a bad thing. You just need to be triple sure you have good honest planners and officials. It's not a song and dance party time or an under the table or bumping elbows at the bar, deal time. If it is you'll find out in the future the new apartments and condos have begun to look like crap and the county is in need of additional revenue, just about the time your kids, if you have any, might be growing up.
True. There is no doubt that any additional money that the city and county will receive will be spent. I would hope that they would spend it wisely by investing more in things like education, art and music programs for students, parks, etc. that would have widespread benefit for the community. However, one never really knows what is on the agenda until it is published. Most of the time, a sewer fund will be self-sustaining and carry a surplus each fiscal year to cover upgrades, repairs, etc. But that is most of the time, not all of the time. Every rule has its exception.

I agree, responsible planning and moral leaders are essential to the success of any town or county. One can only hope that the people made the right choice when they cast their vote. But if not, the incompetence and personal agendas will eventually be exposed. I tend to view things from a position of optimism and believe that most people will do the right thing when making decisions that will effect others. You seem to view from a different angle. I am not saying you are wrong for doing so and appreciate your view; different perspectives is what sets progression into motion. And opposing sides make for a great debate.:)

Btw... Your story was quite sad, but more inspirational than anything. You are very fortunate to have had a mother who was willing to rise up in spite of a tragedy. That is the definition of strength. Not all of us have been so fortunate in life. Hope your hot bath was relaxing. Have a good day!
OhMy

United States

#15 Oct 25, 2011
charlie_Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
True. There is no doubt that any additional money that the city and county will receive will be spent. I would hope that they would spend it wisely by investing more in things like education, art and music programs for students, parks, etc. that would have widespread benefit for the community. However, one never really knows what is on the agenda until it is published. Most of the time, a sewer fund will be self-sustaining and carry a surplus each fiscal year to cover upgrades, repairs, etc. But that is most of the time, not all of the time. Every rule has its exception.
I agree, responsible planning and moral leaders are essential to the success of any town or county. One can only hope that the people made the right choice when they cast their vote. But if not, the incompetence and personal agendas will eventually be exposed. I tend to view things from a position of optimism and believe that most people will do the right thing when making decisions that will effect others. You seem to view from a different angle. I am not saying you are wrong for doing so and appreciate your view; different perspectives is what sets progression into motion. And opposing sides make for a great debate.:)
Btw... Your story was quite sad, but more inspirational than anything. You are very fortunate to have had a mother who was willing to rise up in spite of a tragedy. That is the definition of strength. Not all of us have been so fortunate in life. Hope your hot bath was relaxing. Have a good day!
Thanks and my optimism is intact,it's just that I'm probably 20-25 years older than you so my optimism is sprinkled with more reality dust maybe. I love your rose colored glasses and I'm borrowing them for the rest of today Charlie Girl. Thanks again friend. C-YA.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brentwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
License Plate Recognition System Helps Keep Roa... (Aug '08) 4 hr Website Operator 19
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 6 hr KiMare 2,837
Obama Defends Immigration Reform Action at Town... 17 hr ronnie 6
Hottest local news anchor.... (Feb '11) Fri b1234here 1,861
Santa Thu Cop 1
Store closing (Jul '12) Thu Sheriff 88
IF you do a crime, you should get shot Thu Concerned 123 1
Brentwood Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Brentwood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Brentwood News, Events & Info