Earlene

United States

#272 Jan 1, 2013
FloydC wrote:
<quoted text>
What was the longest anyone stayed in the van?
What kinds of problems did they have?
I know some were on this van more than 4 days.....

The driver was speeding, hit a big pot hole and inmates were thrown up against the top and side of the bus, twice. At least two were hurt.....

“no perverts allowed”

Since: Oct 12

mount juliet tn

#273 Jan 8, 2013

“no perverts allowed”

mount juliet tn

#274 Jan 8, 2013
IcanRunPTS wrote:
I work for PTS now and yes some of these complaints are true, so as the crappy vans, but i drive on a 3 man team. YES we on the road about 2-3 days before we get a rest over night but One person drives for 8 hours with pick ups and stops in between , another person co-drives for 8 hrs and another is in the sleeping birth for 8 hrs. So no is driving 36 to 48 hrs straight and if they are its there partners fault for letting them drive like that cuz aint no company worth losing m life over, i pull over all the time and stop stretch my legs to wake up if im sleepy
Clearly you havent ridden with Likely yet.

“no perverts allowed”

mount juliet tn

#275 Jan 8, 2013
loved one extradited wrote:
Extradition Transport of America...
I could hardly find any info on this company based out of Riverside,CA. My loved one is in route from NY to AZ and was told it could take A FEW WEEKS for him to arrive!!! I'm terrified after hearing all of these other stories...any info would be appreciated...
ETA and PTS are not the same company. PTS is this topic. I've never heard of ETA

“no perverts allowed”

mount juliet tn

#276 Jan 8, 2013
officer bo wrote:
whats the pay? and are the agents armed?
$125-135/ per day flat rate. Works out to $ 5.21-$5.63 an hour.

You are un-armed.(They don't want to pay the Insurance).

You must pay for your own hotel room (if you are lucky enough to get a van. Now they run busses & so you don't even get a hotel room to shower anymore.)

And you never know when you are coming home.

Go to TransCor. Life is so much better.
FloydC

Hardtner, KS

#277 Jan 8, 2013
always_forward wrote:
<quoted text>
You must pay for your own hotel room (if you are lucky enough to get a van. Now they run busses & so you don't even get a hotel room to shower anymore.)
Are you saying that TransCor is better? I'm thinking of the fatal accident over a year ago on I-70, Colorado, speeding driver going from Burlington CCA to Limon state pen, w/no seat belt, on extremely hazardous ice, pulling a trailer, killed her shotgun and one inmate, injured everyone.

What is TranCor paying these days?
XTCA

United States

#278 Jan 8, 2013
ETA was started by a few ex-TCA and ex-TCE (tri-county extradition employees.)

The fatal accident in Colordo was a CCA employee, which consequently OWNS TCA (TransCor America).

I don't know what TCA pasy now. Sorry. good luck.

“no perverts allowed”

mount juliet tn

#279 Jan 12, 2013
oh look. someone got mad cuz i spilled the beans.

oh well PTS did do one thing extremely right.

getting rid of Tom.

“no perverts allowed”

mount juliet tn

#280 Jan 12, 2013
FloydC wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying that TransCor is better? I'm thinking of the fatal accident over a year ago on I-70, Colorado, speeding driver going from Burlington CCA to Limon state pen, w/no seat belt, on extremely hazardous ice, pulling a trailer, killed her shotgun and one inmate, injured everyone.
What is TranCor paying these days?
Interesting. Limon is a PTS house.

I know... I have it in my "jail phone" as one of the Bookings I had to call up back in the day.

“no perverts allowed”

mount juliet tn

#281 Jan 12, 2013
And when I say "back in the day"... that was Mid-Summer 2012.

I work for a corrections facility now. No longer extradition. Thank God.

But, I still do in-state transport.

“no perverts allowed”

mount juliet tn

#282 Jan 12, 2013
Earlene wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt it is every van........but why would an employee, or 3 employees refuse to take inmates to a hospital that had been injured while they were being transported........then refuse to write a report on the incident when the inmate asked for one. People were injured on this trip.......and nothing was done.
PTS protocol: if the inmate says "No, I am okay". That is the one and only chance that they had to seek medical attention.

Otherwise, we would pull off at the nearest exit - call the nearest jail. Ask to put our 12 in the holding tank. Take inmate to the ER. Sit. Wait to see what Docs say. If inmate is admitted - we have to STAY WITH INMATE until our relief arrives.(If thats anywhere but Texas that's going to to take a while as EVERYONE is based in Houston or Nashville. And the Houstonians dont leave Texas - as they are UNINSURED outside Texas.)

Needless to say every medical need put a major wrench in the plan.

If it was legit we did it.

Most are fakers.(Still holds true in my prison)
FloydC

Hardtner, KS

#283 Jan 12, 2013
always_forward wrote:
http://www.wdam.com/story/2022 6575/prison-bus-overturns
The full story.
Thanks for the reference. I couldn't find the van owner identified in any news stories. The passengers were hurt, most badly, though the two kids and driver on the school bus it rear ended were okay. Ten were treated at hospitals, five briefly before release.

Take a look at the pictures. It's amazing no one was killed.

“no perverts allowed”

mount juliet tn

#284 Jan 16, 2013
It was "my" old van... too.
Outlawed

Charleston, WV

#285 Feb 4, 2013
FloydC wrote:
<quoted text>
What regulations did they break? In what state did it happen?

We were only allowed out of the van 2 times a day to use the bathroom,they were people peeing in bottles in the back of the van, they never placed seatbelts on us, they were only 2 drivers and they never stopped anywhere and stayed overnight to rest like they were supposed to, they were always falling asleep while driving, the accident/high speed chase was in alanta, ga.
ExtraditionAgent

Lafayette, TN

#286 Feb 13, 2013
Outlawed wrote:
<quoted text>
We were only allowed out of the van 2 times a day to use the bathroom,they were people peeing in bottles in the back of the van, they never placed seatbelts on us, they were only 2 drivers and they never stopped anywhere and stayed overnight to rest like they were supposed to, they were always falling asleep while driving, the accident/high speed chase was in alanta, ga.
DOT regs stated that they only had to pull us off the road every 48 hours if in Vans. Buses do not fall under same regulation as they have bunks.

Seatbelts are suicide hazards. ACA regulation.

Not defending the company. Not defending you either. Part of Crime and Punishment.

Place a tort. Get the ACLU on your side.

Maybe then things will change.
FloydC

Ridgecrest, CA

#287 Feb 13, 2013
The American Correctional Association doesn't have "regs." It has no power. It is also a stooge for the for-profit prison industry and subcontractors.

How is someone in handcuffs and leg irons going to use a seat belt to commit suicide?
TX felon

United States

#288 Feb 23, 2013
I had the pleasure of riding in the back of van, lol. First let me say that no living being should be forced to endure such conditions as I experienced.
I was transported from CA to TX and it took 2 weeks. It was done in three legs; CA to AZ 40 hours of continuous driving, driver was speeding through Death Valley at 90 mph, fell asleep....microsleep caused us to veer off onto shoulder; AZ to KY 96 hours of continuous driving, bathroom breaks were infrequent, some had to urinate in bottles, driving at excessive speeds going through CO mountains with icy conditions; KY to TX 16 hrs. Also add these vans are poorly ventilated, there are no seatbelts, they make you eat cuffed which is attached to the waist chains, and they pack the van....8 prisoners in the back and 4 in the middle. Alright, so there are rules governing how long passengers can be kept in a sitting position while an aircraft is on the tarmac, no person should spend 40 hrs and 96 hrs in cuffs, leg irons and waist chains and in a forced upright position. Yes I understand Im a criminal, and i understand punishment but this is inhumane. I gave 8 yrs of honorable service to this country, and I used to believe in America, now I have my doubts. I dont want $$$ from PTS, I want to force these companies to treat its cargo with the dignity and respect all humans deserve. Oh yeah to add to the matter, I spent two weeks with my family not knowing where I was or if I was alive.
FloydC

Hardtner, KS

#289 Feb 23, 2013
I hate to tell you, but your experience is not all that unusual. I had a pretrial inmate's mom tell me he spent three torturous months traveling to get from Oakland, CA, to Albany NY, in severe medical distress the entire time, while being deprived of treatment.

Since you were going through Death Valley, I wondered if you stopped at the CCA prison at Pahrump, Nevada? If so, what did you think of that prison?

Where did that part of the transport start and end? I drove from Amarillo to Vegas in just about 14 hours a few weeks ago, on the I-40. Pahrump is just an hour from Vegas, and it's just a few hours more through Lone Pine or Ridgecrest from Pahrump to reach the 395.

How did you know the driver was doing 90 MPH. Were you in the middle bench where you could see the speedometer through a grate or plexiglass, or were you estimating speed based on the regular flow of traffic?

Did you stop at Florence or Eloy, Arizona, to stay overnight?

Do you know how long each driver was behind the wheel at one stretch? Was the other driver cat napping in the shotgun seat before relieving the first driver?

Did those legs of the journey take so long because of circuitous routes, or because of overnight or longer stops, or both?

Where were you laid over in what kind of jails or prisons?

Were there any women in the transport at any time?

Did they restrict the water you drank in order to reduce the number of pee stops?

What kind of food were you getting?

How often were you allowed to take a shower?

I'm very interested in your ordeal because you seem to have a pretty vivid memory of the details. I'd like to know more.

These PTS drivers have killed inmates, of course, as have those of other corporations. A completely inexperienced CCA driver in Colorado killed herself and one inmate on 11/30/11. She was completely inexperienced, was driving an estimated 85 MPH on ice with poor visibility, hauling a large, unbraked trailer with a 30 MPH crosswind on the I-70. By rolling the van completely across the wide median, she seriously injured her shotgun and eight other inmates.

Were there ever more than 14 prisoners being transported at once, if you recall (eight in the back)?
FloydC

Hardtner, KS

#290 Feb 23, 2013
Earlene wrote:
<quoted text>
I know some were on this van more than 4 days.....
The driver was speeding, hit a big pot hole and inmates were thrown up against the top and side of the bus, twice. At least two were hurt.....
Thanks for your input.

What were the worst injuries, and how were they treated, if at all?
FloydC

Hardtner, KS

#291 Feb 23, 2013
always_forward wrote:
<quoted text>
Has anyone ever filed suit for failure to pay NLRB wages? I would assume that you should be paid whether you're driving, riding shotgun or sleeping. CCA has failed to pay guards when they were at roll call, or while they were eating with inmates to provide security. Their last class action case, national but filed in Kansas City, settled for over $4 million.

A CCA van (see below) that crashed in Colorado was being driven by a woman, barely 22, who had never driven in the snow before, as she was previously living in Southern California. Although her inmate passengers were loudly protesting for many miles as she raced through the treacherous conditions, her co-driver apparently never asked her to slow down, nor did the van closely following ever call the co-driver or back to Burlington, from where they were dispatched, to ask her to slow down. Her control was very marginal for a the better part of an hour, especially when she was rushing past semis. She killed herself, one inmate and almost the idiot co-driver who was not wearing a seat belt. He had to be cut out from being wedged between the seats and shotgun mount with multiple arm fractures.

CCA refused to allow voluntary medical assistance from eastbound medical personnel passersby to the eight inmates who survived, three of whom were badly injured, until law enforcement arrived over 20 minutes after the crash. The inmate died after that delay, while the driver was killed instantly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brentwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 9 min KiMare 2,813
Store closing (Jul '12) 20 min Sheriff 88
License Plate Recognition System Helps Keep Roa... (Aug '08) 3 hr Website Operator 9
IF you do a crime, you should get shot 3 hr Concerned 123 1
Opryland Ice spreading germs not cheer 7 hr Coldasice 1
Hottest local news anchor.... (Feb '11) 9 hr please 1,860
impeach Obama (Nov '13) 10 hr Go Blue Forever 71
Brentwood Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Brentwood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Brentwood News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Brentwood

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:06 am PST

Bleacher Report 5:06AM
Fantasy Football Week 16: Complete Thursday Night Preview
Bleacher Report 6:00 AM
Jaguars vs Titans: Full NFL 'Thursday Night Football' Preview and Prediction
Bleacher Report 8:00 AM
Thursday Night Football Week 16: TV Schedule, Live Stream for Titans vs. Jaguars
NBC Sports10:54 AM
Weatherspoon predicts a sweep of the "Aints"
Bleacher Report11:59 AM
Jaguars Break Their Underdog Streak