Williamson County school rezoning agg...

Williamson County school rezoning aggravates parents

There are 7 comments on the The Tennessean story from Sep 18, 2010, titled Williamson County school rezoning aggravates parents. In it, The Tennessean reports that:

Williamson County's proposed attendance zone maps were uploaded early Friday morning to the district's website, and an hour and a half later the site had received more than 1,800 hits.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Tennessean.

Brandon Stallings

United States

#1 Sep 18, 2010
I am not sure why elected groups feel the need to disrupt a whole county to fix over crowding at a few school.

I grew up in a small west Tennessee town where the town was able to take care of the elementry middle and high school. Why have the school become so political. It should not be about money it should be about the future of the kids.

As for this software to zone the schools what a wage of county money. There are many people with in the school system that could have done this with kids addresses and Google maps. I'm not sure why the superintendent would not be qualified to do it.
tish

Spring Hill, TN

#2 Sep 18, 2010
I hope that this is not the final plan! It is crazy that I live so close to the new school but will remained zoned for Independence. My son has been with the same group of kids for 9 years and they are splitting them in half!
Brandon Stallings

Flovilla, GA

#3 Sep 19, 2010
Tish- I feel you pain my kids are not being moved but will be greatly effected. I don't think the inside company did any research as to the mental and social effects of there plan on the communities.

Oakview is being pretty much split in half. This is splitng our boy scout and girl scout along with the the active and strong Pta. These will have major effects on the kids and the economics of the school form a private donations stand point. I feel these large organisations should get involved to stop this rezoning.

Everyone should email and attention ever meeting about this and stop it.

Where has all the common since gone?
Kelli

Nashville, TN

#4 Sep 20, 2010
I have a problem with using a computer program to decide rezoning. A computer don't take in how this will effect our kids. I live directly across the road from IHS and they want to zone us to PAGE, I know Page is a good school, but it is 15 miles out in the country. Have they considered now they are going to have teenagers driving all over the place to get to school?
Kelli

College Grove, TN

#5 Sep 20, 2010
I agree! My husband went to the school board tonight and he said they could not care less about our concerns and basically told him to deal with it! We LIVE in College Grove - a school that is not overcrowded but will be rezoned to Thompson Station and Spring Hill!! Shouldn't our schools first service those in their own community and then consider overcrowding from other places??? Its crazy! Reading the above comments - we have figured out that one person wants to go to Spring Hill, one wants to go to Indpendence and we want to go to Page! Looking at the maps, you see people on the west side of 65 (Spring Hill) going East over to Page and people on the east side going west to Spring Hill! Maybe they should send a survey out to all the residences and ask them where they want to be zoned, they may find that it solves the issues to a great extent!!
tish

Spring Hill, TN

#7 Sep 21, 2010
I have lived in this community for a long time and my children have lived through much rezoning. My oldest went from Bethesda to Heritage then back to Bethesda for a semester (HMS was not opened yet) then HMS then the kids were split and many of her friends went to Page, then they were split between centennial and Page and then started at IHS which her group were always the upperclassmen because of the way they star with 2 grades then 3, etc. My other children have been blessed to stay at the same schools for elementary, middle, and high school. They are definitely better adjusted! I know change has to happen with growth but I think the impact on our kids could be lessened if rezoning was well thought out and parental input actually considered.
PAM

Nashville, TN

#8 Sep 23, 2010
THOMPSON STATION AND SPRING HILL TRAFFIC IS ALREADY HORRIBLE DURING SCHOOL HOURS AND RUSH HOURS, NOW ARE GREAT BOARD LEADERS WANT TO TAKE BUSES AND STUDENTS WHO DRIVE FROM ADDRESS WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE OF SUMMIT AND BUS THEM TO INDEPENDENCE AND STUDENTS WHO LIVE DIRECTLY BESIDE IHS AND BUS THEM TO SUMMIT AND PAGE. WOW THAT MAKES A WHOLE LOT OF SENSE TO ME. GOT TO LOVE THEM COMPUTERS. THEN AGAIN I WAS ALWAYS TOLD BY MY COMPUTER TECH A COMPUTER IS ONLY AS SMART AS ITS OPERATOR.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brentwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Erin Como Fanclub (Sep '14) 1 hr Mick 20
Hottest local news anchor.... (Feb '11) 3 hr Isacc 2,508
white 5 hr JESSIE K 90
Bad Attitude 5 hr JESSIE K 268
Are You Tired of Rich Republicans Not paying taxes 11 hr Tom Lopach 1
Are you Fed Up with the Republican Way? 11 hr Tom Lopach 2
Nashville heavy in debt, Barry will spend our c... 11 hr UNCLE DAVE 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brentwood Mortgages