Randy Hudson

Cleveland, OH

#831 Jun 9, 2009
To I livedon Grand,
were you addressing me ? I've been trying to remember Pete H (?) Not doing much good with it ,though. I can say that if he's trying to remember a family member, he would be wasting his time. My last name is Hudson, but we didn't have any kinfolk out there, besides my immediate family of mom,dad,me and sis.
Randy Hudson

Cleveland, OH

#832 Jun 9, 2009
and I'd like to know who has the b@11s to call him- or herself SLAP CHOP.

“just an old hippie!”

Since: Sep 08

Brentwood New York

#833 Jun 9, 2009
I remember when they bought the expressway through. There used to be an old farm by where exit 55 was, we used to go there once a week to buy fresh eggs. When they were paving the LIE we used to go ride our bikes on it, it was smooth and no cars for miles! I remember all the empty lots, the forts that we would build in them. The old abondon "country homes" that the "city people" put up fpr sale because of all the new homes being built. Those were the days!
Randy Hudson

Cleveland, OH

#834 Jun 9, 2009
also, by way, I'm class o' 80
SLAP CHOP

Huntersville, NC

#835 Jun 9, 2009
Randy Hudson wrote:
and I'd like to know who has the b@11s to call him- or herself SLAP CHOP.
Better than Randy.
Tippy

AOL

#836 Jun 9, 2009
Johnny, thanks for that last post. I remember the crops near Wicks Road...did the pigs roam far from that pig house near the main building? Do you remember the small kiddie park off Par Lane North that had an elephant-shaped slide and a merry-go-round?
Johnnie

Bethel, CT

#837 Jun 10, 2009
Tippy wrote:
Johnny, thanks for that last post. I remember the crops near Wicks Road...did the pigs roam far from that pig house near the main building? Do you remember the small kiddie park off Par Lane North that had an elephant-shaped slide and a merry-go-round?
Yes Tippy, I remember the park quite well.
It was called Aljohn Park.
It had a lit softball field , nd men's leagues played at night.

In addition, there was at one time a memorial for a young soldier who kived on Heyard Street, and was killed in Viet nam.
I believe his name was Danny Hummel, but I may be mistaken.
I don't know if the memorial is still there.

I remember a small cinderblock building, that they kept the equipment in to keep the fields up. The groundskeeper suffered from Cerebral Palsy, but he did his very best to keep the field in good shape.
I remember the drinking water from the building being very odd tasting, probally loaded up with lead!

During summeer days, we played pick up baseball games all day on that field. Kids from the neighborhood, and ajoining neighborhoods, chose sides, and played.
No umpires, no parents, very little problems.

That was an era when youth sports actually built skills that helped develop young people in many ways.
Today, youth sports is basically a disaster arena, filled with self serving individuals, greedy enablers and such.

That is one of the changes in society that has not been for the better.

There weren't any such thing as " play groups ", " select teams " etc.

Oh yeah, there was Little League, and I played for the BYA . It was a wonderful organization dedicated to the enhancment of youth, staffed by volunteers and parents.
I still remember the phone call when the coach called , to tell me I had made the "majors " !

These were some of the things that made Brentwood the fantastic place to grow up in.

By the way, the pigs were fenced in.
Randy Hudson

Cleveland, OH

#838 Jun 10, 2009
Naw, slap chop, you don't need to go and throw one like that. Ease up little fella, I meant, who are you ?
Tippy

AOL

#839 Jun 10, 2009
Hi again, Johnny. The memorial for Danny is still there - I knew his little brother. In case you haven't seen it, you'll likely enjoy this link to yearbook pics I posted here a few months ago: http://www.robsny.org/PhotoGallery.htm

It's time to relocate from Brentwood - can you recommend a nice SAFE inexpensive town? Be well.
Alex gomez 2000

United States

#840 Jun 10, 2009
THOSEWERETHEDAYS wrote:
Yeah I'd like to know where this Regis Park is/was. I've always heard it mentioned but never knew where it was and I had lived in Brentwood for many many years, it was sad to leave it but it changed for the worse.

It was west of wicks from the old beverage shack to pilgrim psychiatric center. It wasnt a park just a part of b-wood like north, east, west and north brentwood regious was also refered as the hood way before the rest of brentwood was contaminated
Alex gomez 2000

Tenafly, NJ

#841 Jun 10, 2009
I miss b-wood. Hanging out at la lechonera and la cubanita during studyhall and lunch. Sneaking in to pilgrim to play handball. I remember when most of it was all wood where the new pathmark shopping center is. The good ol days....
tippy

AOL

#842 Jun 10, 2009
Alex gomez 2000 wrote:
I miss b-wood. Hanging out at la lechonera and la cubanita during studyhall and lunch. Sneaking in to pilgrim to play handball. I remember when most of it was all wood where the new pathmark shopping center is. The good ol days....
I remember a couple of buildings where that newer pathmark on wicks is...one was really old, creepy and had a red light shining above its door. Another was a pharmacy...don't recall the others. We never shopped over at that set of stores...
tippy

AOL

#843 Jun 10, 2009
Alex gomez 2000 wrote:
My previous post referred to a set of buildings torn down BEFORE the new Pathmark shopping center was built.
SLAP CHOP

Huntersville, NC

#844 Jun 11, 2009
tippy wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember a couple of buildings where that newer pathmark on wicks is...one was really old, creepy and had a red light shining above its door. Another was a pharmacy...don't recall the others. We never shopped over at that set of stores...
Remember 'Jerry Koosman's Big Bite'? That was diagonally across from the location that you are referring to. Bad location for a sandwich place, didn't last too long. Koos is going to the federal pen having just plead guilty to avoiding federal taxes for 5/6 years. He went the 'There is no law requiring anyone to pay taxes' route, that failed also. Was surpised to see that his yearly income was near SEVEN figures! You would think that a self made man would have more sense.
Johnnie

Bethel, CT

#845 Jun 11, 2009
Tippy wrote:
Hi again, Johnny. The memorial for Danny is still there - I knew his little brother. In case you haven't seen it, you'll likely enjoy this link to yearbook pics I posted here a few months ago: http://www.robsny.org/PhotoGallery.htm
It's time to relocate from Brentwood - can you recommend a nice SAFE inexpensive town? Be well.
Tippy,

Thanks for the link. How great it is to see some of my favorite teachers.
Miss Leftenant, she was great. I remember her walking into the boys room at North Junior High School, with a big ruler. She gathered up all the smokers and marched them into the hall.Can you imagine the lawsuits if a teacher did that today?
She was, as I remember , no tallet han around 5 feet, but no one would mess with her.
I also remeber Mr. Tagner, opemning up the door from his office in the locker room, and firing a starters pitol at all of us. He would have lost his job had he done now. It was hysterical, we were all ducking for cover.
As far as a safe, inexpensive town to live in?

I live way up in Connecticut, kind of safe and somewhat quiet here, but certainly not inexpensive.
Although a nice three bedroom home on a 1/4 acre can be had for $170,000 or so.
Tippy

AOL

#846 Jun 11, 2009
SLAP CHOP wrote:
<quoted text>Remember 'Jerry Koosman's Big Bite'? That was diagonally across from the location that you are referring to. Bad location for a sandwich place, didn't last too long. Koos is going to the federal pen having just plead guilty to avoiding federal taxes for 5/6 years. He went the 'There is no law requiring anyone to pay taxes' route, that failed also. Was surpised to see that his yearly income was near SEVEN figures! You would think that a self made man would have more sense.
Hi Slap Chop,

Jerry Koosman's Big Bite sounds familiar; I'll pique my bro's memory about it next time we visit.

Since: Apr 09

Bronx, NY

#847 Jun 11, 2009
Having just rode through there again today for business, I cannot believe the amount of people that just stay home or walk the streets and do NOTHING like it is a priveledge. Clean up your ghetto looking home, remove the 8 cars that don't run and make it look somewhat respectable. I don't care what nationality you are, it's about pride in ownership, or in most of these cases rentalship, but even still a little clean goes a long way.

In regards to Mr. Tagner, he was a hard-ass, but he was doing it for the right reasons. Also applies to Mr. Kittridge and Mr. Rapp.

Ms. Leftennant was a mean little lady that packed a wallop with a ruler, but when you sat down and talked with her, she was the sweetest person in the world.

My Principal was Mr. Mintz. He was there for only a short time, and sadly passed away. He was an avid hockey fan (Islanders) and whenever something would happen in the hallways or on school grounds he would have me paged, like I would know what happened! I would go to the office and we would just talk sports for an hour, then he would tell me he needed something fixed on his car, and I would have to call my dad for him! True story!!
unclem

Beacon, NY

#848 Jun 12, 2009
Tippy wrote:
was danny's brother gary--i went to school
and worked with gary hummel who died at 19 from what i don't know--gary was a great kid and fun to work with.
Tippy

AOL

#849 Jun 12, 2009
unclem wrote:
<quoted text>was danny's brother gary--i went to school
and worked with gary hummel who died at 19 from what i don't know--gary was a great kid and fun to work with.
hi unclem, the name of the brother I knew wasn't gary; I don't know if there were other brothers.
Tippy

AOL

#850 Jun 12, 2009
I just verified that Danny's last name was Hommel on the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial website.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brentwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 hr An NFL Fan 119,164
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 6 hr Bruser 2,344
Review: Airport Transportation Nov 20 Courtney Galler 2
Islip Tax Hike Nov 20 EJP 1
Adopting older kids: heavenly (Dec '06) Nov 19 edlacinski 4
Jennifer Poppiti, Hauppauge Middle School teach... Nov 17 Hauppauge parent 7
Tarrantino murders (Jun '11) Nov 17 MR GRs 157

Brentwood News Video

Brentwood Dating
Find my Match