i want the old brentwood back
susan kiefer

Mamaroneck, NY

#811 May 23, 2009
i cant believe that at 46 years old i am hearing about children i knew when i was 10-freaky. thank you it was joyce depina-she and i used to play with barbie dolls for hours. there was a single guy living next door to us. he had a blue corvette. my babysitter was a girl named maureen. she lived near the depinas. i am trying to remember names from laurel park. albert wachsmouth-big heavy kid with white hair. i had a crush on raymond vintsinanza (sp??). the gomez boys lived across the street from the moores on strong st. there was a girl i used to play with who lived in the white house on the corner of armstrong and jewel-she had a couple of brothers. we were just so close to ginny and janet fisher and the 3 bonjorno brothers on jewel. i had the dubius distinction of being called the throw up kid during the 3rd grade. i had a terrible stomach virus brewing and didnt tell the teacher. i walked out to board the bus and hurled. it took awhile to live that one down. i also used to play with roberta weiner. i think she lived on grand st. we used to watch zoom together.
Jim in San Antonio

San Antonio, TX

#812 May 27, 2009
Marian1220 wrote:
<quoted text>Do you remember a Mark Belinsky?
There was a Linda Belinsky in my class, but I don't remember a Mark
Jim in San Antonio

San Antonio, TX

#813 May 27, 2009
susan kiefer wrote:
ok more to remember- classmates at laurel park:
ellen angotti-smartest and pretty hair.
joan montemagno-ellens best friend-jock
gabriel alonzo-we used to wave to each other because if you looked across from my house at the end of kaymac you could see those "court" type streets. he was cute and he lived behind joan who he loved. he had a scar on his eyebrow.
i had a friend janet whos dad worked for pepperidge farm.
kaymac was shaped like an "s" and she lived around the bend.
there was a family who lived at the start of the curve that was the tallest family alive. it was a couple and their 2 sons-names escape me but the mom and dad were way over six feet and their sons-who were a little younger than me were giants. they had really blond hair. they didnt like christmas carolers either. they used to open the door and say "thank you" and slam the door and not give us anything. caroling-ha-no one does that anymore-too PC :(
karen heinz-sad story-her mom was crazy also
i had mr. simon for a 5th grade teacher-he died and mr. and mrs. bisulka took over.
teachers:
2nd grade-mrs boyd (very old)
3rd grade-mrs march (hippee)
4th grade-mr hobart (told me there was no such thing as santa clause. in these days he would have made the front page for doing that)
5th grade-mr simon (rest in pease gentle man)then the bisulkas
6th grade-mrs naclerio (omg this was the teacher you didnt want and would pray when you got your report card it didnt say her name-old crank with red lipstick. spitted on you when she spoke)
Did Ellen Angotti have a brother named Paul? We were good friends at east Junior High and at St. Johns.
Meg Kallman Feeley

Hialeah, FL

#814 May 28, 2009
OK, so I dreamed last night of Mrs. Johnson, my kindergarten teacher at North Elementary (where, btw, I went in 1963. Came home from school to find my mother crying b/c of the JFK assassination). Can't say my memories of Brentwood were uniformly great, but Mrs. Johnson inspired me, and also kind of kept me in line. She came to my Bas Mitzvah, gave me a thesaurus which I still have, and inscribed "More words for you." Now, I teach writing, am getting my PhD, and last night I dreamed of her. Weird.

Since: Jul 08

Glendale, AZ

#815 May 28, 2009
Jim in San Antonio wrote:
<quoted text> Did Ellen Angotti have a brother named Paul? We were good friends at east Junior High and at St. Johns.
Yes, he's a podiatrist.
vinnyt

Selden, NY

#816 Jun 1, 2009
ok im gonna give you a shot of Brentwood nostalgia.
St.Joes, getting chased by the guards.
The Barn at St.Joes, and looking thru the windows and seeing the old farm equiptment. Walking on the wall on brentwood road.
Grants and the cafeteria in there, the pet shop at grants, Brentwood Aquarium, Food Fair, The Carosel ride outside of grants where we would pile as much kids on it to make it not goaround all for 10 cents.
The instant photo booth outside grants 4 for 25 cents.
Godzilla movies at brentwood theatre, Planet of the apes there also.
Bohacks with Joe the manager who always chased us out of there.
The sump next to Bohacks.
the wooden track at brentwood high school.
riding bikes in the parking lot of the Jewish center.(were there any jews in brentwood?)the shrine at st. annes.
the Brentwood rec center.
smoking in the woods behind the movie theatre,
The village Latern. went there when i was 15.
when they built the McDonalds i wondered where they were going to put the ducks.
the chicken farm across from the Knoll farm
Dairy Barn, Agway on suffolk ave.
Kick the can in the dark, Tony the bungalow bar ice cream man.
Ring a leario. The roller coaster woods on first ave by the high school.
South Jr. High fields.(our playground) Climbing to the top of the baseball backstop.
Home coming at the high school.
Mr. Campo, my neighbor and wrestling coach "The Gov"
Mr. Walker from south Jr. High.
Having 72 kids on your block alone. Camping in the yards.
Cinderella bakery, Devines pizza, charlies deli, Katrinka deli, one stop auto parts, tonys shell station, The lutheren church where you always called someone out for a fight after school.
The woods across from Bohacks. Bruce Lane,
Hanging out with the Finns in the Academy.
Catecism at St. Annes when the nuns taught us, Sister Thomas, getting cracked on the hand with the pointer from the nuns. Picking apples in the academy, getting chased by the guards and running thru the woods to the nuns graveyard.
Big Apple, Dragos pizza, Johns Bargain store, A and P. Grandmas bagels, Jack in the Box. Friendlys, Delivering the Long Island Press, Nesday, Daily news (if you wanted to get up at 5 am before school). Throwing snowballs at the plows(we didnt want the busses to get thru). Flying Kites in the school yard. Making Forts in the woods(they were empty lots not built on yet, but seemed like forests to us). Fifth of july finding unexploded firecrackers and making sizzlers. Cap guns, hitting rolls of caps with a hammer and almost knocking out your hearing. Box turtles in Bishop road woods. Stein Drive (didnt really venture there often. Entenmanns bakery crumb cake smells. The church bells ringing on sunday morning. 1 car per household. Diesel trains in brentwood.
Anyone car to add on? this is only from the 4th street perspective
SLAP CHOP

Concord, NC

#817 Jun 2, 2009
Fotomat, and the old Brentwood post office that was very small with wide plank flooring and I believe sawdust. There is a new building at that site today, can anyone advise what it is. My guess is a laundromat.
debbie Thompson Koskela

Lake Havasu City, AZ

#818 Jun 4, 2009
brentwood wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right. Wow, small world. They are cousins of mine. Bobby is in NC, Billy in Texas, Vincent (who we call Dee-Dee) is on LI and I believe Peter is also but we haven't spoken in a few years.
What happened to their mom and dad. I lived across from them for many years and live in arizona now.
brentwood

Fairfield, CT

#819 Jun 5, 2009
Sam their biological father passed away around 27 years ago from cancer. Frank and Maddy moved to Florida and are doing just fine there. They come up about once a year.
debbie Thompson Koskela wrote:
<quoted text>What happened to their mom and dad. I lived across from them for many years and live in arizona now.
Johnnie

Plainville, CT

#820 Jun 5, 2009
Teachers
North Elementary
K- Mrs Heinz
1- Mrs Connell
2- Miss Leveine
3- Mrs. Clark
4- Miss Welch
5-Miss Preston
6- Mrs Daniels
Principa Mr. Saiken
North Junior High School
Mr. Tagner, Kittridge, Rosenblat, Beck, Griffin, Greif, Miss Wood, Miss Savarese, Miss Devlin, Miss Deschamps , Mr. Tony Demarco.Mr. Alpert.
Miss Ivy Cover-Ramsey
What a terrific group of educators.
brentwood

Fairfield, CT

#821 Jun 5, 2009
Johnnie wrote:
Teachers
North Elementary
K- Mrs Heinz
1- Mrs Connell
2- Miss Leveine
3- Mrs. Clark
4- Miss Welch
5-Miss Preston
6- Mrs Daniels
Principa Mr. Saiken
North Junior High School
Mr. Tagner, Kittridge, Rosenblat, Beck, Griffin, Greif, Miss Wood, Miss Savarese, Miss Devlin, Miss Deschamps , Mr. Tony Demarco.Mr. Alpert.
Miss Ivy Cover-Ramsey
What a terrific group of educators.
What year? I only remember Mr. Tagner but I was class of 1994 (highschool).
Pete

Novato, CA

#822 Jun 5, 2009
buddhistchild1967 wrote:
Went to Twin Pines Elementary School on Voorhis Drive from '73-'79/'80.Teachers were as follows:K-Mrs. Funk , 1st.-Mrs.Harvey,2nd.-Mrs.Dinzl er, 3rd.-Mrs.Eisenberg, 4th.-Mrs.Price,
5th.-Mrs.Bloomfield, 6th.-Mr.Allgrove/Mrs.Bisulca.I 'd love to hear from some people who went there when I was there! Graduated 1985.BHS-Sonderling.
Hey I had Allgrove and Bisulca too which means we were classmates. Who are you ??:)
debbie thompson

Lake Havasu City, AZ

#823 Jun 6, 2009
brentwood wrote:
Sam their biological father passed away around 27 years ago from cancer. Frank and Maddy moved to Florida and are doing just fine there. They come up about once a year.<quoted text>
I did not know about Sam. How sad for the boys. My family moved away in 1979. seems like a lifetime ago. Did you goto Brentwood High School?
Johnnie

Plainville, CT

#824 Jun 8, 2009
brentwood wrote:
<quoted text>
What year? I only remember Mr. Tagner but I was class of 1994 (highschool).
you're a youngster !
Class of 1972

By the way, when I moved to Brentwood in the 1950's, Wicks Road was unpaved.
Tippy

AOL

#825 Jun 8, 2009
Johnnie wrote:
<quoted text>
you're a youngster !
Class of 1972
Hi are you able to share more about Brentwood back in the 50's when Wicks Road was unpaved? Thanks.
Randy Hudson

Medina, OH

#826 Jun 8, 2009
Brentwood, the town I grew up in has become unrecognizable to me. I have gone back several times and each time has left me shaking my head, wondering what happened to it. I lived on Claywood Drive, down by the shopping center on Commack Rd, went to Southeast Elem (Mr. Romboli?), then South Jr High (not Middle School), hung out with Joe Galarza, John Meza, Joe Kessner, Mike Martin and Steven Minn. I remember "the pit", Bonos Pizzeria, racing on Grand Blvd, going up to the convent and eating the apples while being hunted by security, cutting class and cruising with Pete Heinbockel and all these things have passed into Brentwood history that no-one even remembers anymore. The only thing that Brentwood is anymore IS a CESSPOOL and anyone disagreeing is doing nothing more than trying to start an argument by denying the truth. Sorry there, old town that I loved, but you are gone now, and you look like the slum that you are. Randy Hudson signing off for now.
brentwood

Fairfield, CT

#827 Jun 8, 2009
Johnnie wrote:
<quoted text>
you're a youngster !
Class of 1972
yep 31, but I yearn for what Brentwood was 20-25 years ago even. Maybe we all want our childhood back no matter where you grow up. Wicks rd. unpaved wow! It's like a small LIE now.
brentwood

Fairfield, CT

#828 Jun 8, 2009
Randy Hudson wrote:
Brentwood, the town I grew up in has become unrecognizable to me. I have gone back several times and each time has left me shaking my head, wondering what happened to it. I lived on Claywood Drive, down by the shopping center on Commack Rd, went to Southeast Elem (Mr. Romboli?), then South Jr High (not Middle School), hung out with Joe Galarza, John Meza, Joe Kessner, Mike Martin and Steven Minn. I remember "the pit", Bonos Pizzeria, racing on Grand Blvd, going up to the convent and eating the apples while being hunted by security, cutting class and cruising with Pete Heinbockel and all these things have passed into Brentwood history that no-one even remembers anymore. The only thing that Brentwood is anymore IS a CESSPOOL and anyone disagreeing is doing nothing more than trying to start an argument by denying the truth. Sorry there, old town that I loved, but you are gone now, and you look like the slum that you are. Randy Hudson signing off for now.
Randy, and many others on this site - I'll tell you exactly what happened to brentwood. All of the good people moved away. Slowly but surely. Neighborhoods change normally from two major sources. 1) new construction like apartment buildings are introduced which Brentwood doesn't have many. 2) people who move and sell to anyone willing to buy. Now I'm not blaming anyone here but.......my parents still live there and none of their neighbors who were great friends and my classmates stayed. The new folks......let's just say they are not what Brentwood was 50 or even 25 years ago. Most do not speak english (not a jab at foreigners). So for anyone who wants a neighborhood to "stay" the same, you have to live in it, work in it and give back to it. I don't think that happens anywhere on Long Island anymore. My generation as a whole can't afford to stay here. Years ago when I was a kid, all of the houses on my block which I delivered Newsday to had people who lived there for a very long time. Probably 30-50 years. But little by little everyone moved. They made great money on those homes and moved to a less expensive, less diverse part of the country. Let's all be honest here. If all of your neighbors stayed, and your kids all had their friends and you were able to build long relationships and actually care about the people living next door brentwood would have never changed. Instead, many foreigners moved in, two and three and four families to a home, killing the school disctrict and public services with taxes so low and costs so high. It's the sad truth.
I livedon Grand

AOL

#829 Jun 8, 2009
Randy Hudson wrote:
I was Pete H best man at his wedding last Saturday.
He said he's trying to remember you.
Talk about a coincidence.
Johnnie

Plainville, CT

#830 Jun 9, 2009
Tippy wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi are you able to share more about Brentwood back in the 50's when Wicks Road was unpaved? Thanks.
Sure Tippy, and I'll address a few other points.

Brentwood is certainly not the town that I moved into as a child in the 1950's. However, the changes that have occurred in Brentwood, are no different than many other towns and cities in this country.
The entire world is changing, some things are for the better, some not so much better. That is the essence of change.

If you just look at New York City, where I was born and lived before moving to Brentwood, you will see areas that were once great, have declined, and have come back. Some areas decline more rapidly than others, and indeed, some areas never recover.

I now live several hundred miles from Brentwood, as my parenst moved out about 18 years ago. The Town that I have lived in for the past 23 years, hasn't really changed that much,in that the residents are still from the same basic socio-economic strata.

There are many reasons for all of the changes, but I don't have room or time to get into it. Perhaps at another time.

Back to Brentwood in the 1950's.
Yes, I know Wicks Road was an unpaved road, as I recently converted old 8MM home movies to DVD, and you can see it in the background.

Pilgrim State Hospital was a major employer, that that was a draw for residents to the area. However, afetr the Post WW2 GI bill, housing was inexpensive, and the Parkways allowed a relatively easy commute by car into New York City.
My parents brand new house was $ 9000.

Most of the early Brentwood residents still worked in NYC, but some had jobs closer to home.There wasn't any LIE until they built it, and I remember when they did.
Motor Parkway, or Vanderbuilt Highway, was actually on the South side of what was exit 54 of the LIE. For many years, there was a hot dog wagon, Bill's Hot Dogs, right at exit 54. I used to cash in all my change when I collected from the Long Island Press paper delivery route that I had.
The property of Pilgrim State, near Wicks Road was all agricultural, and theree was a rather large pig farm. We used to jump on the backs of those big pigs , and ride around alot. Trouble was, there were those Security Personel in the black cars that would chase you around. Most of the time we got away, but once in a awhile they would nail us, and bring us home to our parents.

You couldn't eat the corn, as it was cattle corn, but the other vegetables were good. I remember pulling fresh carrots out of the ground, wiping off the dirt , and eating them.

Of course we wemt to school, and in the spring and summer played sports and neigborhood games until it was dark.

Not many worries, not much pressure to be anything but a happy kid. All the neighbors looked out for all the kids, and you RESPECTED everyone, or you were in plenty of trouble.Very liitle crime, once in a while a neighborhood sqaubble with another kid, but mostly fun and games.

THe greatest memories. A childhood that I would wish on anyone and everyone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brentwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Face Off Racing (Feb '10) 26 min billystarch 221
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Mon Bruser 2,739
Old friends In Central Islip, Where Are They Now? (Nov '13) Sun Walter D 2
News Moriches Man Charged With Home Improvement Scam (Feb '11) Aug 19 raphan disbarred 17
News Alexander: Kudos to all who are making Heartlan... Aug 18 Vision 5
Review: David Sanders Dance Dynamics (Nov '08) Aug 17 Imamomnow 17
News Sub teacher accused of stalking student (Jul '07) Aug 17 Tim Rigney 180

Brentwood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brentwood Mortgages