Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

LFP wrote:
Wow - I don't know the O'Sheas and the Norgods, but my cap is off to them that they stuck it out. How are they faring? Sorry, I don't know the East area so well. I wonder if anyone remembers Village Elementary from the 1960's to 1970's. Teachers that come to mind are Mrs. Saikin (K), Mrs. Rabin (Grade 1), Mrs. Gilford (2), Mrs. LaChicotte (3), Mrs. Foote(4), Ms. Miller (5, and she was adamant that she never be called "Mrs." She was really cool; remember she skied a lot), Mr. Egolf (6). The principal (whose name escapes me now) died of a sudden heart attack circa 1972. Can't remember who took his place, either. I recently came across my kindergarten class picture and can't get over the abundance of blonde, blue-eyed kids! Even then, though, I remember there was a post-kindergarten exodus to St. Ann's. Village Elementary fed into South Jr. High, which was a fairly bad place even then, although nothing like it is today. Anyone remember any of this?
The Principal was Joseph Karszen and is alive and well still living in Sayville
mtmorelli

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2008

Catherine Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
Michael I used to watch you jump that fence to school when you were running late
Hi there...Did you live on 4th St or 9th Ave. I apologize but your name doesn't ring a bell. But you nailed it...That was exactly when I would jump the fence. Do you remember John Dunlop, Henry Mastermaker, Kenny Schroder, The Testa's, Ricky Meyers??? Names I haven't thought of in years...Playing handball up against the school wall?
Brentwood Grad 83

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

I went to the Village School, graduating from there in 1977. While we may have not been as rich as the "county club" area (!) we certainly held our own. It was a very nice small school with no more then 3 classes per grade. The teachers were great as was the rest of the staff. And it is true that many village school grads went on to very successfull lives, including becoming teachers, just like me!
misstheoldbrentw ood

Medford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2008

Judged:

Comment wrote:
You are quite the racist aren't you? You're comments are disgusting and full of hate. I went to Brentwood during the 60s and 70s. In case no one told you, it's the inside of the person that matters, not the outside, as proven in your case. When did it get really bad? Uhh, when you moved to it!!!! You subscribe to the theory that white Brentwood good, non-white Brentwood - horror show. I feel sorry for you.
<quoted text>
The poster speaks the truth, Brentwood was a great town, then when the hispanics took it over it went to Crapwood. Every community they go to, they ruin, it's not reacist, it's a fact.
Wayne_ Independence NJ

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2008

Yes, I remember them all!!! Mr. Wansicle, Mrs. Barahol, Mrs. Grabowski, and Mrs Silver the assitant Princlip who I foolishly fliiped off in 5th grade. Considering my mom was the president of the PTA for over 5 years and knew absolutely everyone, it was not a good move:)As a matter of fact I had Mr. Marino, pre-plane crash in Cherry Grove (he was flying low to see the sights..wink, wink) and his affair was with Mrs. Garafolo, not Mrs.Lowery. My sister had Mrs. Garafolo in the second grade when I had Marino in the sixth grade. He actually had me pass notes to her a couple of times. Ahhh...good times.
LS Of WP

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2008

Catherine Mary wrote:
<quoted text>The Principal was Joseph Karszen and is alive and well still living in Sayville
Do you have an address for Mr. Karszen? He was my Principal at Village and I'm 51.
north carolina

Elizabeth City, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2008

Tony wrote:
Growing up in Brentwood during the 70s/80s was a great experience. I grew up on Perry Street and my mom STILL lives there. I remember all the stores on Clarke Street. Going to St. Lukes Church. Walking down Washington Avenue into town to go to McDonalds and to the movies on Saturdays. Playing Asteroids at the 7/11. So many memories from going to North Elementary from Sept. 72-June 79 and I can remember every teacher I had: K--Mrs. Johnson, 1st--Mrs. Franzone, 2nd--Mrs. Gravely, 3rd--Mr. Bickwid, 4th--Mrs. Levine, 5th--Mr. Black, 6th--Mr. Tache, my all-time favorite teacher ever. I recall not having a black kid in my class until 6th grade! I remember playing soccer every day at recess, sitting against "the wall" if you got punished, and the scary haunted shed behind the fence near the baseball field.
Going to the 7th Grade Center was a big deal, leaving the one school I had ever attended. But all my pals who lived east of Chapel Hill Drive went there as well. I saw some funky things go on there and had to grow up quickly to survive there. The only teachers I recall from there were my English teacher Mr. Mangas who took us to the World Trade Center, and Mrs. Graham, my science teacher.
8th and 9th grades for me were at North Junior High. Went to the scary 10th grade center, and went to Sonderling for 11th and 12th grades, graduating in 1985. I had several good teachers at Sonderling, including Mr. Governale and Mrs. Veitch.
I actually lived on Perry Street until the mid-90s. The town now is not the same place, but I think there are still pockets of goodness there.
i remember mr black and mr tache i had mr marino in 5th and mrs leighton in 6th i moved to brentwood in the end of 5th grade from bayridge brooklyn so i did half of 5th and 6th grade in north elementary, mr marino was alot of fun.
Barbra White

Payson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2008

Vee wrote:
Can anyone name the streets in our neighborhoods? Ames, Broadway, Alkier, Front, American Blvd, Clarke, Chapel Hill, fifth Ave, nineth street, Gibson, Brentwood Rd, Union Blvd, New York Ave (Huntington) Bread And Cheese Hollow (Northport) I know I am forgetting a million but my point is, I cant name more then two streets up the block from where I am now but I can remember many many in Brentwood/Bayshore/ and surrounding areas.
The streets in my neighborhood, hmmm, I remember McWhorter, Campion, Taft, Cleveland, Floyd, Lukens, Dead Man's Hill, and of course, the place where
i was hit by a car...Jefferson Avenue. Remember Dairy Barn? I used to love their ice pops. I remember the ice cream man, and how we scrambled for change...walking to the end of my street to watch the parades...laying in the cool green grass and smelling the wild mint that grew in our yard and the way it filled the air when you stepped on it...hey...I just had an idea...I am going to strart a myspace page for Brentwood so we can share any pictures of the town that we might have...what do you think?
Barbra White

Payson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2008

I haven't heard any of the teachers mentioned from Twin Pines...so, here goes...Mrs Beacon, Miss White who became Mrs Mento, Mrs Gibbons (my favorite)...Miss Shershoff, Mr Milner (who made me sit in a garbage can on top of a desk because I was caught talking!), Mr Hill, the music teacher who I always thought was SO MEAN, he would take the wooden pieces off of the xylophone and say "you see this hole ehere? When I spank you with this, that's where the meat comes out!" (UGH)...I always loved the pizza at Twin Pines!
The one thing I always hated was the way the boys chased the girls and ran up behind us, humping...I hated that. Some kids I remember are, my good friend (still in touch) ZsaZsa Szucs, Steven Downey, Frank Callandro, Christine Sissmanson, Yvette Ramos, Simone Kaunitz,Diane Esposito, Eileen Martka, Wesley & Christine Bowne, Robert Danulesky, Nancy Penberthy (whose parents raised chihuahuas), Sharon & Karen McVaugh, Debbie Keupp, Randy Russ, John Zimmerman & his sister Kim...Robert Baldwin, Cathy Baldwin (no relation to Robert)...

I think most families left Brentwood to either move to a warmer climate, seemd like alot went to Florida, as did my family. And in the case of my family, to retire. My parents lived in Brentwood from 1942-1971...I think that's a pretty darned long time. They bought a motor home, we started to travel and that was that...we left. We moved to Lake County Florida, the town we moved to had a stop sign and a "mini=market"...the post office was the size of a storage shed. Even that town now has a mall, MANY more people and I wouldn't live there again either...I now live in a small town that has a few restaurants, a Wal-Mart and a couple of car dealerships. The elevation is 5000 feet, we get snow and avoid the heat of Phoenix. I like it here, but I can bet you when I get to retire, it will be different than it is now, and I will move elsewhere...and so it goes...
Star76

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2008

no St. Joseph's Academy alumini here...interesting
that was one of the best things about the Old Brentwood, I know it is still there but it's not the same
steve

Freehold, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2008

Judged:

Stumbled on to this website trying to find some pictures or memories of old BayShore/Brentwood. Farmers Market was one of my favorite places along with Drive-In, Roller Rink, Peter Pan Diner and Wetsons. Still remember the smell of the Zeppolis and Bakery that would stay on your clothes for days. Remember the Pickle man, the Toy store and big fat guy that ran the key shop there too. Korvettes and Hamptons were great stores too, remember the arcade in the basement. Now it houses a car dealership and nondescript strip shopping center. Glad to see there are still alot of folks who remember the old town
Lexy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2008

Catherine Mary wrote:
<quoted text>Lexy your comment on Gang Bangers from Village School - even joking is what fuels the image of Brentwood being "bad" Village School children were not bad people, they were just a little lower on the economic ladder. So many of them went on to do great things. I can think of at least 15 people from Village School that went on to become teachers in Brentwood.
Easy...I was just kidding. I never said the Village School kids were bad. I was just sharing memories. Maybe you should losen up a bit. You sound so uptight.

Thats what this place is for, sharing memories, and not to attack people right away because they make a comment you don't agree with.

I left NY a few years ago, and it's nice to come here and share stories about our childhoods.
Lexy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2008

steve wrote:
Stumbled on to this website trying to find some pictures or memories of old BayShore/Brentwood. Farmers Market was one of my favorite places along with Drive-In, Roller Rink, Peter Pan Diner and Wetsons. Still remember the smell of the Zeppolis and Bakery that would stay on your clothes for days. Remember the Pickle man, the Toy store and big fat guy that ran the key shop there too. Korvettes and Hamptons were great stores too, remember the arcade in the basement. Now it houses a car dealership and nondescript strip shopping center. Glad to see there are still alot of folks who remember the old town
Steve, you made me smile. I have those same memories. My parents bought my sister and me bunk beds from Hamptoms!~!
linda white

Highland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

Brian wrote:
Let's Face it guys Brentwood has changed. i MOVED TO brentwood in 1976. I went to village school, transferred to Oak Park. Then went on to graduate from Ross High. As i black kid i caught some racist in Brentwood, but everywhere you go you wilkl find a few ignorant people. For the most part it was a perfect childhood growing up in Brentwood. I use to live at 50 second street. Played for the BYA, second baseman. The problem is that it seems like you are visiting another country when you go to Brentwood now. I do believ everything should be diverse.i have come to know many italian and german friends. My best buddy and still is Patrick Seeney an Irish kid. Cant forget my puerto rican buddy Carlos Maldonando. Its like when i ride through i think i am in ecquador or elsalvador. Everthing is written in spanish. I dont mean to sound racist but i am putting the facts on the table. tis is america and the language is english. As a black man i dont want to see everything written in my native african language...why cause this is america and diverisity is everything. but lets face it those where the days we all miss and wish we could re-live.
Thank you for the comment about being american and not expecting your native language to be on all the signs. Thats my only complaint is that if you come here, do it legally and live by our rules not bring your own countries rules. Traditions and diversity, culture yes but dont expect to take over the country with your perspectives, right? If I went to Mexico, which I have, and decided to move there,do you really think they are going to cater to my language first? Or when the prompt on the phone says for English please press 1. Hey how about for Spanish please press 1. I like the diversity and what we stand for but this is ruining our economy and causing unbelivable problems in hospitals, work place etc. Why cant people respect america by comeing here, getting citizenship and doing it like past ancestors did it. They respected our rules, regulations and were proud to be here. and thankful for a start at a world that allowed them the freedom to persue what ever they wanted to. I am in AZ now and I feel that people come here and show a side that is not going to work. I really fear for the future. I was talking to my son in law at the time of 911, and he said the illegals who worked in the resturant clapped their hands when it happened. That is a slap in the face and dispickable no matter how you cut it. Thanks for your comments.
Linda White
linda white

Highland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

Thank you for the comment about being american and not expecting your native language to be on all the signs. Thats my only complaint is that if you come here, do it legally and live by our rules not bring your own countries rules. Traditions and diversity, culture yes but dont expect to take over the country with your perspectives, right? If I went to Mexico, which I have, and decided to move there,do you really think they are going to cater to my language first? Or when the prompt on the phone says for English please press 1. Hey how about for Spanish please press 1. I like the diversity and what we stand for but this is ruining our economy and causing unbelivable problems in hospitals, work place etc. Why cant people respect america by comeing here, getting citizenship and doing it like past ancestors did it. They respected our rules, regulations and were proud to be here. and thankful for a start at a world that allowed them the freedom to persue what ever they wanted to. I am in AZ now and I feel that people come here and show a side that is not going to work. I really fear for the future. I was talking to my son in law at the time of 911, and he said the illegals who worked in the resturant clapped their hands when it happened. That is a slap in the face and dispickable no matter how you cut it. Thanks for your comments.
Linda White
John

Aurora, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

LS of WP wrote:
Not to forget the Dairy Barn , Shop Rite and the lumber yard. Good old Village Elementary With Mr. Karzen as the Principal.(:
Do you remember Mr Karza, and Miss Goodwin, and Mr Egolf, and Mrs Zuckerman? That woman's hair was that 70's beehive style, and I distinctly remember her driving that little Triumph convertible.My Brother worked at Cinderella's bakery, and we bought our first Tv from Sandro's right next store to the bakery. Charlie's Deli, I practically lived there, and the Brentwood Theater, and the Bay Shore Mall. I miss my hometown. Is the Village Elementary still there on Fifth avenue or has it been torn down? I haven't seen it in thrirty .
years.

Thank You,
John
Barb

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2008

Hey, class of 1973 Ross High School. Any one from that year????
Lexy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2008

Barb wrote:
Hey, class of 1973 Ross High School. Any one from that year????
Check out this site. You may find some old friends.

http://brentwood-ny.alumz.com/
Wayne_ Independence NJ

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2008

north carolina wrote:
<quoted text>
i remember mr black and mr tache i had mr marino in 5th and mrs leighton in 6th i moved to brentwood in the end of 5th grade from bayridge brooklyn so i did half of 5th and 6th grade in north elementary, mr marino was alot of fun.
Tony...I grew up on Perry Street also..corner of Perry and Jefferson Ave. Used to walk my Shepard in the corner lot next to John' Bargin Store and behind Hills. Spent much quality time in the Perry Street sump too. I can remember Tony's pizza at 30 cents a slice. My dad used to send me up to the Deli for a pack of Luckies for 50 cents. Imagine an 8 year old buying a pack of cigs today...he did survive the lung cancer BTW.
Jeanine

Leeds, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

Lexy wrote:
Hilltop Lane, Candlewood Road, Commack Road, Spur Drive north and south.
Anyone remember Charlies Hotdogs on Spur drive, right after Islip avenue??? Had the truck in front of his house. I think Hess was the gas station on the corner.
I remember Charlies Hotdogs. Best hotdogs ever!! I heard they closed, is that true?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 201 - 220 of1,268
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Brentwood News Video

•••
•••

Brentwood Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Brentwood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••