Livermore council to consider approvi...

Livermore council to consider approving large housing development on city's east side

There are 5 comments on the Contra Costa Times story from Jan 10, 2014, titled Livermore council to consider approving large housing development on city's east side. In it, Contra Costa Times reports that:

Livermore city council members will discuss on Monday whether to approve a large-scale subdivision of homes, townhouses, and apartments planned for just north of Lawrence Livermore Laboratory.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Contra Costa Times.

Concerned

Pleasanton, CA

#1 Jan 12, 2014
Time to say NO!
Anon

Pleasanton, CA

#2 Jan 21, 2014
Concerned wrote:
Time to say NO!
Why? Sounds fine to me. Have you even been over there? Its a giant empty field and there is nothing there.
Set em Straight

Pleasanton, CA

#3 Jan 25, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>Why? Sounds fine to me. Have you even been over there? Its a giant empty field and there is nothing there.
More traffic and no BART station anywhere near Livermore. That's why!
Fred

Farmville, VA

#4 Jan 26, 2014
I have no idea why any additional housing units anywhere would be approved when your facing the worst drought in history.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#5 Apr 7, 2014
Set em Straight wrote:
<quoted text>
More traffic and no BART station anywhere near Livermore. That's why!
BART is coming...eventually that's actually where the last station will be (Greenville, but close enough). We're going to get the traffic anyway. If the developments occur over the hill in Tracy/Mountain House/Manteca, etc, it will just be cut-through traffic. Then we get all the traffic you're concerned about, but not any tax revenues or sales taxes, because those people won't be spending their money here. Better that we get the growth here, and in a place that doesn't affect existing homeowners negatively or cause a major problem for our infrastructure (there are no homeowners nearby to impact, except for the traffic, which as mentioned, we're going to get anyway, and in this location, I'm guessing most of the residents would be single professionals and commuters and childless people, since there are no schools in walking distance).

The concern I would have is that the city will find some way to make this development negative, by packing it with low income/low class tenants and spending our money on "affordable housing programs" instead of on rebates or services for the people that generated the money in the first place - the taxpayers of Livermore, the business owners, etc.

If they go all Section 8 with this, as many cities do, the effect will be to encourage low income riff-raff to move here. We'll get Oakland ghetto refugees who think its cool to live with some white folks (beats living with the other black folks, is what they will figure out), and they will be attracted to the fact that the city is giving away "Free" property. Its not all free, but that is basically the effect of a typical "affordable housing program" in which the city forces developers to sell a percentage of units to "low income" people for a massive discount from Fair Market Value. These discounts then are recouped by the developer on the backs of buyers at regular price, who then each pay an artificially higher price for their property...its a huge subsidy for low-class people to take advantage of and its abusive to everyone else. Livermore does NOT need any of that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brentwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins (Dec '11) Fri Princess Hey 4,949
Drop a Word ~ Add a Word (Nov '11) Fri Princess Hey 5,020
News 4-Year-Old Injured In Collision Dies, Suspect D... Thu Sky 1
News Dryer fire displaces 49 residents of Antioch as... Jan 17 Sky 1
News Council to discuss Zephyr Grill & Bar opening a... Nov '17 Pole Climber 1
Is Antioch Ghetto hell yah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... (Jun '06) Oct '17 Ex antiochites 1,145
News Woman Accused of ID Theft, Registering Fraudule... (May '08) Jul '17 Shawn S 41

Brentwood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brentwood Mortgages