Antioch council pursuing two tax measures for November ballot
Antioch leaders are hoping that it's citizens will agree to increase the sales tax by a half-cent and to charge residential landlords in the city at least $20 a month for their rentals in order to fund a larger police force and improve code enforcement in the city.
Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Antioch Herald.
#1 Jun 14, 2013
No what they need to do the people that rent their houses out too Section8. Stop renting too Section8.Your causing our town nothing but problems.These people come over from Oakland and Richmond bring their getto ways.Killing our people.Notice their going towards Brentwood.Our city is dying.Were all fed up with getto Blacks.Go back were you came from.Your not welcome here!
#4 Jun 15, 2013
Title V Hispanic-Serving Institutions Grant / HSI
LMC has been awarded $2,750,000 Title V Grant from the U.S. Department of Education October 2005 – September, 2010 ($550K/yr for 5 years)
In order for an institution to qualify as an HSI:
· Hispanic students must comprise at least 25% of the institutions FTEs (LMC - 1,700 or 25.35%)
· At least 50% of the individual Hispanic Students must be low income (LMC - 1,128 of the 2,169 individual Hispanic students are low-income or 52.01%)
Major problems to be addressed:
1. LMC’s academic programs and academic support services do not meet the needs of Hispanic students, as evidenced by low Hispanic transfer, graduation and certificate rates.
2. LMC enrollments has not kept pace with the needs of its service area and cannot offer the instructional and student support services that the service district demands, as evidenced by low enrollments from identified pockets of its service area (particularly Bay Point) and loss of students to other community colleges.
3. LMC does not have a comprehensive ESL program.
4. LMC has a loss of revenue from lost enrollments due to “drive-bys”, drop out rates, and the low post secondary continuation rates of local Hispanic populations.
1. To reach 2010 enrollment growth target of 10,920, with overall enrollments at LMC increasing by 4% per year over the Fall 2004 baseline of 8,977.
2. The number of Hispanics enrolling at LMC will rise by 5% per year over the Fall 2004 baseline of 2,240 Hispanic students.
3. By 2010, the percentage of first-time students who persist to the second term will increase by 5% per year based over the 2004 Fall to Spring persistence rate of 46%.
4. By 2010, the number of Hispanic students who transfer will increase an average of 5% each year over the 2004 baseline of 41.
5. By 2010, the number of Hispanic degree and certificated completers will increase by 5% each year over the 2004 baseline of 50.
6. Over the course of the 5-year grant period, LMC will increase the numbers of students enrolled in its credit ESL program by 10% a year over a Fall 2004 baseline of 228.
Although there will an emphasis on meeting the needs of Hispanic students, HSI activities will be available to all LMC students.
Grant Funded Activities:
Systematically design and implement a comprehensive ESL program which will provide non-native English speaking students with a solid educational foundation. As a result, ESL enrollments at LMC will increase and ESL students will move successfully through the ESL pipeline to complete transfer, graduation and vocational goals.
#7 Jun 15, 2013
Call in more complaints to CODE Enforcement. Call till the phone lines burn.
Get a code book. Then Call Call Call. Complain till they break. Call till they don't have enough time to fill all the calls. Call till they hire so many Police that there is a 2 to 1 ratio. Call till the Property Owner Occupants, WIN back their RIGHTS !
Applied Psychology. Apply it ?
#8 Jun 15, 2013
Up their f kng Az. Up the Governments Az.
#9 Jun 16, 2013
Only "ONE" in agreement ? That is a tested demonstration of "How Clueless Northern California "IS" ! Just as demonstrated by evidence of past activity, Majority of Antioch are "IGNORENT" !
Even though ignorance can be corrected. Stupidity is not correctable ! Seems to be a condition related to brain activity ? That must explain the high incidences of mentally challenged children in East Bay area ?
It just comes down to "standards". When Government hires Police Officers who don't even know the meaning of "Standards". How the heck can anyone expect a police officer to know what a "BACK FLOW PREVINTER" is ? They are "IGNORENT" ...
An it has been CONFIRMED. Here.
#10 Jun 16, 2013
"Back Flow Preventer" is just another TERM for "VENT DIVERTER"...
Code, requires one on Every Dryer Exhaust Vent Termination...
#11 Jun 18, 2013
Section 8 is a federal program that can't be managed by a municipality. In other words this tax is a parasite on any chance of Antioch's recovery and our sold out bribed up politicians are going for their gold. More low income housing and protection for their bed mates, the developers. Crime is ripe on the streets because it's alive and well at the city hall.
When they purposed the 20 dollar a month tax for rentals the apartments threatened to sue. They backed off. Apartments and section 8 are exempt and will not pay. Section 8 and apartments that make the crime won't pay. The mom and pop rentals where real people serve real people will be hit with this and it may cause your home not to sell because it's a poorer investment than towns without the tax. Our well bribed council is ripping off Antioch residents with smoke and mirrors again. THE MONEY IS NOT GOING TO POLICE... It's going in the general fund for them. What a rip off. I would call the police but they are in on it.
#12 Jun 18, 2013
Stupid is, Every Property Owner (which is "Owner Occupant").
A well thought manipulated land grab. Using INDUCED TACTICS OF AUTHORITY.
People in Antioch/Pittsburg are afraid of Government.... Siino is the Government in East Bay... So everyone is afraid of Siino...
Add your comments below
|Drop a Word ~ Add a Word (Nov '11)||6 hr||Princess Hey||5,034|
|Roadshow: Parking in front of a neighbor's hous... (Aug '09)||9 hr||Disgusted||364|
|Jury sees video of Pittsburg homicide victim ru...||Fri||Coleworld||1|
|Man dies, woman in critical condition following...||Thu||Jamie||1|
|Last Post Wins (Dec '11)||Feb 22||Hatti_Hollerand||4,973|
|Livermore Wine Tasting Weekend||Feb 19||howefortunate||1|
|Riedel Wine Tasting - Brentwood||Feb 19||howefortunate||1|
Find what you want!
Search Brentwood Forum Now
Copyright © 2018 Topix LLC