Brentwood residents sound off about W...

Brentwood residents sound off about Walmart

There are 54 comments on the Brentwood Press story from Aug 25, 2011, titled Brentwood residents sound off about Walmart. In it, Brentwood Press reports that:

Allowing a Walmart store to open in Brentwood would sound the death-knell to the newly revitalized downtown area, residents told the City Council Tuesday, vowing to fight any attempt for the mega-retailer to locate in the city.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brentwood Press.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Arredondo

United States

#1 Aug 28, 2011
I agree that Brentwood does NOT need a Walmart. It will make the city feel Cheap. People move to Brentwood for its upscale feeling.
STV

United States

#2 Aug 28, 2011
I don’t think that Brentwood needs a Walmart. I understand that it is cheap to shop at Walmart, but that will only make the city feel cheap and dirty, not to mention the crime rate will go up in this quiet family oriented city. Have you seen how dirty the one in Antioch is? And don’t get me started on the one located in Pittsburg, how disgusting, how can people live that way. Do you really want that for the city of Brentwood? I sure don’t.
As for the parking in downtown Brentwood, who had the bright idea to minimize the parking on Oak Street, 1st and 2nd St? Talk about bad planning.
Regina

Hilmar, CA

#3 Sep 9, 2011
Walmart is not the devil incarnate. Non union is not illegal. Low pricing is a positive. Lower wages may be a reality, however none of us are forced to accept wages that we do not agree to. Health insurance is a fringe benefit that has and is provided to Walmart employees depending upon their employment status, part-time or full time. The opposition to this store appears to be an amalgam of the major grocery retailers, unions, and a handful of snobs that consider anything but Whole Foods, or Gene's worthy of our exhaulted city. Walmart provides good merchandise, at lower cost. Brentwood needs an outlet for those not earning high end salaries. The permit should be granted, and soon.

“"Nuts"”

Since: Mar 08

Salem, OR

#4 Sep 10, 2011
Any town that hosts a “Corn Festival” is asking for a Wal-Mart…

You could build next to the Trailer Park off Walnut Blvd…
dontworry

United States

#5 Sep 21, 2011
I do not want these ghetto people in my town. This will bring the ghetto brothas and sistas which will cause violence, drugs and theft in our community.
cooooooooooooooo ors

Pittsburg, CA

#6 Sep 21, 2011
Arredondo wrote:
I agree that Brentwood does NOT need a Walmart. It will make the city feel Cheap. People move to Brentwood for its upscale feeling.
You people are funny as hell. You think you're high brow out there in Brentwood? NIMBY types make me sick
Purple G

Daly City, CA

#7 Sep 21, 2011
Sandwiches, chips, Snickers, Twix...I'm eating good...Potato chips...A big box of Oreos...Cereal, Kix...My EBT, My EBT...Walking down the Ave, there's food I got a hunger for...I just want some Jam...Walking down the aisle, cuz I just want some ham...Wham! It's the EBT, it's not Food Stamps...Breakfast time the cheese is melted...if I don't have my card I use someone else's..."

eastbay

Brentwood, CA

#8 Sep 22, 2011
Why don't you guys speak your mind and say you don't want blacks and mexicans in Brentwood. Stop beating around the bush
Purple G

Daly City, CA

#9 Sep 22, 2011
Man, forget goin to da club to meet someone new. when i wanna meet somethin new i go get me a basket an go walk around da walmart.

dontworry

United States

#10 Sep 23, 2011
eastbay wrote:
Why don't you guys speak your mind and say you don't want blacks and mexicans in Brentwood. Stop beating around the bush
It's not about what color or race is in the town. I'm all for diversity. It's about the ghetto people (no matter what color or race... Black white yellow purple green whatever.) who Walmart attracts. Go to any walmart u will find those kind of low life people who just want to start problems because they think they're cool. We don't need any ghetto people starting problems an bringing drugs and violence around. Thank you.
Liberty is Freedom

Rockwell City, IA

#11 Sep 23, 2011
All of you complainers are "IDOITS"... Your fight is not against Walmart, "IT IS THE GOVERNMENT" you bunch of "PINHEADS".

Go read all myn posts. GET A CLUE...?
the_dude

Milpitas, CA

#12 Sep 23, 2011
I can understand why people in Brentwood would not want a walmart to open. There is already a walmart in shitsburg and anticrotch for the ghetto apes to plunder. No need for one in brentwood until they start allowing section 8 housing there.
eastbay

Grass Valley, CA

#13 Sep 24, 2011
the_dude wrote:
I can understand why people in Brentwood would not want a walmart to open. There is already a walmart in shitsburg and anticrotch for the ghetto apes to plunder. No need for one in brentwood until they start allowing section 8 housing there.
Give it time and Brentwood will get section 8. California is a blue state. The liberals want everyone to be on the same level. Good luck keeping section 8 out.
Dan

San Ramon, CA

#14 Oct 5, 2011
Have you seen the low-life scum shopping in Antioch? Do you really want to see that in Brentwood. Hell, the Wallmart in Antioch is too close. Awful choice of business to bring to Brentwood.
Storm Warning

Sullivan, WI

#15 Oct 5, 2011
Build it right next to city hall
Freedom

Hilmar, CA

#16 Oct 21, 2011
Bring on free economics to Brentwood. All these racists need a chin chek.
The Guru

San Francisco, CA

#17 Oct 22, 2011
you need to have a local walmart on the ready for all the sec 8 leeches they are about to unleash in brentwood
Ex Brentwood resident

San Pablo, CA

#18 Nov 5, 2011
the_dude wrote:
You do realize there are numerous Section 8 rentals in Brentwood, right? No neighborhood is spared and it's getting worse.
Ex Brentwood resident

San Pablo, CA

#19 Nov 5, 2011
eastbay wrote:
<quoted text>
Give it time and Brentwood will get section 8. California is a blue state. The liberals want everyone to be on the same level. Good luck keeping section 8 out.
Too late!! Brentwood is full of Section 8.
homeowner

Antioch, CA

#20 Nov 8, 2011
Regina wrote:
Walmart is not the devil incarnate. Non union is not illegal. Low pricing is a positive. Lower wages may be a reality, however none of us are forced to accept wages that we do not agree to. Health insurance is a fringe benefit that has and is provided to Walmart employees depending upon their employment status, part-time or full time. The opposition to this store appears to be an amalgam of the major grocery retailers, unions, and a handful of snobs that consider anything but Whole Foods, or Gene's worthy of our exhaulted city. Walmart provides good merchandise, at lower cost. Brentwood needs an outlet for those not earning high end salaries. The permit should be granted, and soon.
Regina, you don't live here. Brentwood is upscale. Walmart is for low income people who need rock bottom prices. Most college educated people who earn more than 100000 a year dont shop at walmart. Clearly from your post and address you are not in that league! The people who live in the more pricey areas moved here for just that reason.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brentwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins (Dec '11) Mon Princess Hey 4,570
News Woman Accused of ID Theft, Registering Fraudule... (May '08) Mon Kimmcd 29
Drop a Word ~ Add a Word (Nov '11) Jul 25 Princess Hey 4,966
Fraud Jul 23 Stan harris 1
want to trade props (Aug '11) Jul 21 Princess Hey 159
~:Any Word:~ (Sep '13) Jul 20 Princess Hey 373
Posting for points, Last post wins, Add a word/... (Jan '12) Jul 19 Princess Hey 112

Brentwood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brentwood Mortgages