Smokers outside of Panama Red...

Smokers outside of Panama Red...

Posted in the Brentwood Forum

Since: Sep 12

Livermore, CA

#1 Apr 3, 2013
I am one of them, and if you don't like it... speak up (with tact.) I consider myself to be a little more courteous than most when it comes to smoking in public. By that I mean, I will NEVER blow smoke towards you or your children, I will always put my cigarette behind my back or behind something that will block the smoke, as you should understand that is the best I can do when you walk past me with children. I always put my cigarette butts in a designated container, and lastly, unlike a lot of other smokers, I do not spit on the ground around me.

I try to find a spot farthest away from any entrances or windows, if that is not possible I try to not smoke. If I am sitting by myself at a far end table and you pick the one next to me while you see me smoking, don't bother complaining to me. However, if you have an issue with me and my friends (who smoke) and you are trying to relax with your children, please feel free to approach us. Most people down at Panama are very understanding and are more than willing to move.

The thing I do not appreciate is when people lash out at me for smoking. First of all you don't know me or what I am capable of, so you shouldn't approach me screaming and waving your arms as I may percieve that as a threatening gesture and/or that will not help YOU in MY decision of moving. Secondly, the backhanded under the breath comments... We can hear you and you're not sneaky, if you have an issue, be an adult and speak up. Last but not least, do not walk past me and tell me that I'm going to die sooner than you, I know the choices that I make aren't beneficial to my health and I've accepted that, I just don't understand how people can think it's acceptable to approach a stranger and say something like that... it makes you an asshole, and makes you much easier to forget.

Everyone has the right to relax downtown without feeling like they have to suffer to do so. Whether it's cigarettes, cigars, homeless, rowdy kids in front of yin yin, the cry to god lunatics, etc. Just speak up (with tact.)

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#2 Apr 3, 2013
As coincidence would have it, this afternoon was the first time I stopped in at Panama Red (great service, will definitely stop in more often). I didn't see anyone smoking close to the coffee shop itself, just the large group of guys sitting on the benches across the street. I don't smoke, don't particularly enjoy the smell BUT so long as smokers are respectful of us, as you seem to be, there should be no problem. For whatever it's worth, I don't think there is ever an excuse to approach someone in a disrespectful manner or throw verbal jabs as they walk by. It's unproductive and tacky.
MourningWood

San Francisco, CA

#3 Apr 4, 2013
MOTY wrote:
As coincidence would have it, this afternoon was the first time I stopped in at Panama Red (great service, will definitely stop in more often). I didn't see anyone smoking close to the coffee shop itself, just the large group of guys sitting on the benches across the street. I don't smoke, don't particularly enjoy the smell BUT so long as smokers are respectful of us, as you seem to be, there should be no problem. For whatever it's worth, I don't think there is ever an excuse to approach someone in a disrespectful manner or throw verbal jabs as they walk by. It's unproductive and tacky.
it's a really social place, glad you enjoyed it. I have been going down there for years and have had the pleasure of meeting some of the most thought provoking, intelligent, well versed people,(as well as a few psychos.) Maybe you'll see me down there someday, I'm kind of hard to miss, 6'6", glasses, facial piecings and usually I am wearing a grey cap. If you see me feel free to say hello, don't be a stranger.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#4 Apr 4, 2013
MourningWood wrote:
<quoted text>it's a really social place, glad you enjoyed it. I have been going down there for years and have had the pleasure of meeting some of the most thought provoking, intelligent, well versed people,(as well as a few psychos.) Maybe you'll see me down there someday, I'm kind of hard to miss, 6'6", glasses, facial piecings and usually I am wearing a grey cap. If you see me feel free to say hello, don't be a stranger.
Will do! Good to know, especially if I need back up with one of the psychos ;)

Since: Mar 11

Livermore 94551

#5 Apr 4, 2013
I've been going to frequently Panama for years, since I was a junior in HS. Over these last ten years, I've made many friends and have had more good conversations than I can count. I was there when the world found out Bin Laden had been killed. When my boyfriend and I moved out of our parents' houses and into our own apartment last May, one of the older guys I know from there gave us a dining room table and chairs. And a few people offered to help us move. It's a really good group of people down there.

I'm also a smoker. I always try to be courteous and sit away from the door and not near open windows. I'll smoke with the hand closest to the wall. If kids walk by, I keep my cigarette hidden below the table. I try to be courteous. I've found most people are as well. Occasionally you'll get that soccer mom who suddenly has a coughing fit as she walks by. But like others in downtown, I'm also a paying customer who has come downtown to enjoy my day/night and socialize with friends.
blessed4

Union City, CA

#6 Apr 5, 2013
Ssophiiee wrote:
I've been going to frequently Panama for years, since I was a junior in HS. Over these last ten years, I've made many friends and have had more good conversations than I can count. I was there when the world found out Bin Laden had been killed. When my boyfriend and I moved out of our parents' houses and into our own apartment last May, one of the older guys I know from there gave us a dining room table and chairs. And a few people offered to help us move. It's a really good group of people down there.

I'm also a smoker. I always try to be courteous and sit away from the door and not near open windows. I'll smoke with the hand closest to the wall. If kids walk by, I keep my cigarette hidden below the table. I try to be courteous. I've found most people are as well. Occasionally you'll get that soccer mom who suddenly has a coughing fit as she walks by. But like others in downtown, I'm also a paying customer who has come downtown to enjoy my day/night and socialize with friends.
I greatly appreciate your consideration of non-smokers. I have walked by people and they ex-hale as I'm walking by. I have adult asthma, never had it as a child. My lungs are small too. My dad never smoked directly around us kids, but he was a smoker ( he quit on year for my birthday present & never started again), but my friends parents would not let us do more than crack the window while driving with them smoking in the car.. Long road trips. It really makes me cough, and gives my lungs spasms. So if I walk near, and fan or cough, I apologize in advance to any courteous smoker that might be reading this. If I see or smell the smoke in advance I usually take myself and child out of the reach of the smoke. If I miss it however, it really bothers me.

Livermore 94551

#7 Apr 5, 2013
blessed4 wrote:
<quoted text>I greatly appreciate your consideration of non-smokers. I have walked by people and they ex-hale as I'm walking by. I have adult asthma, never had it as a child. My lungs are small too. My dad never smoked directly around us kids, but he was a smoker ( he quit on year for my birthday present & never started again), but my friends parents would not let us do more than crack the window while driving with them smoking in the car.. Long road trips. It really makes me cough, and gives my lungs spasms. So if I walk near, and fan or cough, I apologize in advance to any courteous smoker that might be reading this. If I see or smell the smoke in advance I usually take myself and child out of the reach of the smoke. If I miss it however, it really bothers me.
I totally understand there are people out there who are sensitive to smoke and may cough. When I said a soccer mom may walk by and suddenly have a coughing fit..this is like a forced fake cough. You know when something is directed at you. And stuff like that, the forced coughing fit, is just rude.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#8 Apr 7, 2013
Smoking should be banned in public places. Not sure what the current rule in Livermore is....

But the bigger issue than smoking is the hoods that hang out downtown.
MourningWood

Richmond, CA

#9 Apr 11, 2013
The Real Anon wrote:
Smoking should be banned in public places. Not sure what the current rule in Livermore is....
But the bigger issue than smoking is the hoods that hang out downtown.
Couldn't agree with you more on the issue of the dipshits downtown.
notahipster

Livermore, CA

#10 Apr 12, 2013
Ssophiiee wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally understand there are people out there who are sensitive to smoke and may cough. When I said a soccer mom may walk by and suddenly have a coughing fit..this is like a forced fake cough. You know when something is directed at you. And stuff like that, the forced coughing fit, is just rude.
werent you the same girl that posted complaining awhile ago about young crowds of kids being loud and drunk/smoking downtown or bums being around panama er something along those lines?

Livermore 94551

#11 Apr 12, 2013
notahipster wrote:
<quoted text>werent you the same girl that posted complaining awhile ago about young crowds of kids being loud and drunk/smoking downtown or bums being around panama er something along those lines?
Yeah, because those kids are a pain in the ass. But people like myself who go to panama, buy a drink, sit down to do homework or work, and smoke a few cigarettes are not those people. Those people hang out primarily on the benches across the street outside Yin Yin and drink, fight, yell, and smoke weed. My issue with them isnt smoking cigarettes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brentwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pittsburg Ca. is safer than Concord Ca. | Conco... (Dec '08) 2 hr team motor 396
gay topix (Jun '13) 3 hr dickie 31
News Shots fired into Antioch home, no injuries 23 hr wild west 1
assessment tax Mon Vote NO 4
what happened at crosswalk on El Caminito? (Feb '13) Sun Amused 6
News Bethel Island levee district gears up for propo... Jun 28 katjonez 1
News Former Livermore Charter School Employee Charge... (Aug '14) Jun 28 Ex Charter Parent 9
More from around the web

Brentwood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Brentwood Mortgages