Probation officer suspended for shoot...

Probation officer suspended for shooting at fleeing car | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 48 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Mar 14, 2011, titled Probation officer suspended for shooting at fleeing car | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

A Fairfield County Municipal Court probation officer has been suspended with payfrom his $45,344-a-year job, accused of firing his court-issued hand gun at a car that hit a utility pole Friday night and left the scene.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
dave

Columbus, OH

#43 Mar 15, 2011
Officer2 wrote:
There appears to be a part of this story missing... Like the fact that the driver of the vehicle struck Mr. Carter, and tried to kill him before his weapon was discharged... How many of us would be willing to die for a drunk driver? And how many of us have violated a policy...or for that matter picked up a gun for protection? Be careful where you cast your stones, cause we all have glass walls!
your full of sh ii tttttt
John Blutarsky

Columbus, OH

#44 Mar 15, 2011
barney fife wrote:
gimme another bullet, andy!
lol, were you screaming, "Citizens arrest, citizens arrest!!" during all of this?
Jack

Mansfield, OH

#45 Mar 15, 2011
This is the last we'll hear of it. Cover up!
Jack

Mansfield, OH

#46 Mar 15, 2011
The guy was drunk so officer 2 gives his opinion that the driver was trying to run the guy down. That is what the cover up verdict will read.
Spooktackular

United States

#47 Mar 15, 2011
Jack wrote:
The guy was drunk so officer 2 gives his opinion that the driver was trying to run the guy down. That is what the cover up verdict will read.
His pal Judge David Trimmer held the arraignment on a weak end. Had this been a tax payer instead of a licensed parasite ( not just a probation officer but a state licensed social worker) they would have been in jail all weekend before an arraignment.

I agree this will all be swept under the table just like everything else in Fairfield county. After all as Trimmer says regularly in court " it doesn't matter what the law is , what matters is how I feel"
Chains

Dublin, OH

#48 Mar 16, 2011
Spooktackular wrote:
<quoted text>
His pal Judge David Trimmer held the arraignment on a weak end. Had this been a tax payer instead of a licensed parasite ( not just a probation officer but a state licensed social worker) they would have been in jail all weekend before an arraignment.
I agree this will all be swept under the table just like everything else in Fairfield county. After all as Trimmer says regularly in court " it doesn't matter what the law is , what matters is how I feel"
Yeah, you're right... Trimmer IS a douchbag!
John Carway

Brentwood, NY

#49 Mar 17, 2011
I sounds like this probation officer may not have had justification in firing his weapon at a fleeing car. That aside however, I believe that the rule prohibiting probation officers from carrying their firearms off duty except going to and from work is a dangerous rule. Probation officers deal with the most violent members of society on a daily basis. They often make decisions in enforcing the conditions of probation and in making sentencing recommendations to the court that put them at odds with their criminal charges. If the courts and or the legislature sees fit to issue a weapon to an officer and assigning him to tasks and venues that put him in harms way, it should follow that the officer should be able to defend himself while off duty as well as on duty.
A personal firearm is primarily a defensive weapon. Obviously the officer should be well trained in when and where to use that weapon and should be prohibited from drinking alcohol while carrying it. But officers often live in the same communities as the criminals they supervise and report on to the court. They are just as apt to encounter a hostile and violent felon whom they might have just made a negative report about while off duty as they might while in the court house. Actually, they might be even more vulnerable coming home from a local convenience store at night than they are in their offices surrounded by other officers. This is a bad rule that those responsible ought to change
John Carway

Brentwood, NY

#50 Mar 17, 2011
I commented above on this story before I read the other insane comments. I live in NY and am a retired probation officer.I picked up the story on a Google alert and I mistakenly thought this might have been a serious forum. Many media outlets require that those who post comments register first. That lack of anonymity, even when names aren't published has a sobering effect on most of the most outrageous blatherings that our blessed freedom of speech sometimes spawns.This story has major omissions, which is why I limited my comments to the underlying policy. I have known some very fine Ohio probation officers in my 40 years in the probation field. Most of them were very well trained and would not has discharged a weapon at a fleeing vehicle. I am not familiar with Ohio laws and will leave it to the courts to decide factual and legal points

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bremen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hi. I'm Holly Hylton and I was just doing my jo... 9 min Leftist handjob 1
Kansas Militia Members Convicted ⚖ 9 min Date Night 12
Grim Raper Chose Wells Fargo VP Southwest Passe... 20 min Grim Raper Surpri... 11
Sean Hannity 29 min Pope Che Reagan C... 19
PRESIDENT TRUMP Just Signed The 1 Executive Ord... 1 hr Capt Pepe 1
Hi im Holly Hylton Your Local Racist Starbucks ... 1 hr Leftist handjob 46
Trump Korea Nobel Peace Prize 2b Earned 1 hr Capt Pepe 2

Bremen Jobs

Personal Finance

Bremen Mortgages