Delta shuts down Comair

Delta shuts down Comair

Posted in the Bremen Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Apr 12

Hilliard, OH

#1 Jul 27, 2012
CINCINNATI — Delta Air Lines is shutting down its shrunken, 35-year-old regional carrier Comair at the end of September as it switches to bigger jets and it is sending termination notices to its 1,700 remaining employees.
Comair is down to 290 flights a day. More than 1,000 Comair employees are in the Cincinnati and northern Kentucky region, some 700 of those in Kentucky.
Comair has slashed its fleet, flights and workforce in the last seven years. Delta said the smaller regional planes are expensive to fly because they are not as fuel-efficient and cost more to maintain as the fleet ages.
"We just really couldn't get the cost structure to where we wanted to get it," said Don Bornhorst, senior vice president of Delta Connection and a former Comair president. "It ultimately was a cost issue; it wasn't a quality issue with Comair. They're a good airline, great employees, very innovative ... we just could not solve the cost issues."
Delta, based in Atlanta, had about 500 of the 50-seat regional jets in 2008 and plans to reduce that to 125 within two years. Most of that flying will be done by new 76-seat jets as well as the 117-seat Boeing 717sthat Delta is leasing from Southwest Airlines.
Delta said Friday that it has stopped flying 16 of the remaining Comair 50-seaters, and will lease the carrier's other 28 planes to other operators. Bornhorst said employees have 60-day termination notices. A small group of employees will remain after the Sept. 29 shutdown to handle details of the closure.
Comair handles only about 1 percent of Delta's flying, so the closure won't result in significant changes to Delta's network. Delta also said it won't mean fewer flights out of Comair's base at Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport. Besides Cincinnati, Comair also has hubs in Detroit and at New York's JFK and LaGuardia airports.
Advertise | AdChoices
Comair was founded in 1977, flying three propeller-driven Piper Navajo aircraft. It started operating as Delta Connection in 1984 and became a wholly owned subsidiary of Delta in 2000. Comair helped expand the regional jet business when it began flying Bombardier CRJ jets.
"As you can imagine, we're all very sad," said Lynn Dziad, spokeswoman for the Teamsters local that represents more than 400 flight attendants. She marked her 22nd anniversary with Comair just last week. "It's been a wonderful company. A lot of incredible people have worked here."
Kentucky's governor, Steve Beshear, said the Delta action is a blow to the region because of the job losses, and the Democrat called it "terribly disappointing." Kentucky will try to help affected workers, he said in a statement.
"Today's announcement is sad news for Cincinnati, as 300 southwest Ohio families will be looking for new opportunities as Comair ceases operations," Ohio Sen. Rob Portman, a Republican from the Cincinnati area, said in a statement. He said he has pressed Delta to offer opportunities for impacted workers. He added that Delta has committed to keeping up its Cincinnati area schedule, "which is important for Cincinnati's business community as they look for opportunities to grow and build their businesses across the nation and the world."
Aviation analyst Mike Boyd of The Boyd Group said he expected the Comair shutdown, because the regional airline business doesn't work anymore.
"It's not going to turn around," Boyd said. "Delta is quite correctly saying 'We've got to get rid of these uneconomic airlines.' "

Since: Apr 12

Hilliard, OH

#2 Jul 27, 2012
Before entering bankruptcy protection in September 2005, Comair had more than 7,000 employees and 1,160 flights. Comair and Delta emerged from bankruptcy reorganization in April 2007.
Forty-nine people were killed when Comair Flight 5191 crashed on Aug. 27, 2006 in a field near Blue Grass Airport in Lexington, Ky., after trying to take off from a runway that was too short for commercial jets. The National Transportation Safety Board found the pilots failed to notice they were on the wrong runway.
Delta had talked to prospective buyers for Comair, without success. It sold its other regional airlines — Compass and Mesaba — in 2010. Those carriers still operate flights for Delta, as do several other companies.
Shares of Delta Air Lines Inc. rose 3 cents to $9.44 in afternoon trading Friday.
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

#3 Jul 27, 2012
Kramers Attorney wrote:
CINCINNATI — Delta Air Lines is shutting down its shrunken, 35-year-old regional carrier Comair at the end of September as it switches to bigger jets and it is sending termination notices to its 1,700 remaining employees.
Comair is down to 290 flights a day. More than 1,000 Comair employees are in the Cincinnati and northern Kentucky region, some 700 of those in Kentucky.
Comair has slashed its fleet, flights and workforce in the last seven years. Delta said the smaller regional planes are expensive to fly because they are not as fuel-efficient and cost more to maintain as the fleet ages.
"We just really couldn't get the cost structure to where we wanted to get it," said Don Bornhorst, senior vice president of Delta Connection and a former Comair president. "It ultimately was a cost issue; it wasn't a quality issue with Comair. They're a good airline, great employees, very innovative ... we just could not solve the cost issues."
Delta, based in Atlanta, had about 500 of the 50-seat regional jets in 2008 and plans to reduce that to 125 within two years.
So much for those Brazillian Embraer Jets, which I like by the way. God I hated those prop-based puddle jumper planes.

All these things seem to go in cycles. Wouldn't be surprised to see prop planes back 10 years from now.
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

#4 Jul 27, 2012
And so much for the CVG Airport! Looks like it's toast!
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

#5 Jul 27, 2012
I guess they used Bombardier jets ...

Since: Apr 12

Hilliard, OH

#6 Jul 27, 2012
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
So much for those Brazillian Embraer Jets, which I like by the way. God I hated those prop-based puddle jumper planes.
All these things seem to go in cycles. Wouldn't be surprised to see prop planes back 10 years from now.
You'll never see the props come back to major markets. Colgan is about the only one using them today.
Today's jets are more fuel efficient, and the customers have a fear (totally unfounded) of prop planes.

Since: Apr 12

Hilliard, OH

#7 Jul 27, 2012
Enzyte Bob wrote:
And so much for the CVG Airport! Looks like it's toast!
1000 jobs gone all at once is a killer for Northern Kentucky. That was probably $40 million in annual salaries.

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

#8 Jul 27, 2012
Kramers Attorney wrote:
<quoted text>You'll never see the props come back to major markets. Colgan is about the only one using them today.
Today's jets are more fuel efficient, and the customers have a fear (totally unfounded) of prop planes.
You have never seen me on a prop plane. Loaded by weight, I was a mess, as the copilot ate Cheetos, hubby telling me to look out the window, as I hyperventilated. NEVER again, I don't give a flying crap if it's more efficient, I'll swim to my destination.

Since: Apr 12

Hilliard, OH

#9 Jul 27, 2012
GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>You have never seen me on a prop plane. Loaded by weight, I was a mess, as the copilot ate Cheetos, hubby telling me to look out the window, as I hyperventilated. NEVER again, I don't give a flying crap if it's more efficient, I'll swim to my destination.
Last time I was om one there were 34 seats and seven passengers. Had a five minute Chinese fire drill to achieve balance.
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

#10 Jul 27, 2012
Looks like my instincts were correct:

==========

What does Comair's closure mean for CVG Airport?

One problem with hitting bottom is that you’re often not sure you’ve arrived. Just ask any stock trader or frequent flyer at Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport.

Delta Air Lines Inc.(NYSE: DAL) today announced that it will pull the plug on Comair Sept. 29. The 37-year-old company helped invent the concept of the regional carrier and served as Cincinnati’s gateway to the world. It employed 6,700 people at its peak but will phase out the last 1,600 by year end. But does that mean the shrinkage is over for Delta’s Cincinnati hub? And if so, has the regional airport known as CVG also hit bottom?

Delta addressed the hub in today’s press release:
“Delta has right-sized capacity at Cincinnati to better match service to local passenger demand.

Cincinnati is now a profitable market for Delta and the city continues to enjoy over 120 peak daily flights, with non-stop service to 49 destinations. No reductions in the number of Delta flights are planned at Cincinnati as a result of this decision.”

No further reductions, that’s nice. But that 120 figure seems a bit worrisome, since Delta’s volume was 20 percent higher than that one year ago.

Delta Senior Vice President Don Bornhorst said the airline has now reached “a sweet spot” in Cincinnati, so no further cuts will be needed.
But others aren’t so sure. Airline industry blogger Brett Snyder, also known as “The Cranky Flier,” said Delta’s shift from 50-seat planes to larger aircraft will inevitably mean fewer planes will be needed to transport the same number of passengers. And aviation consultant Michael Boyd today stood by his earlier predictions that CVG’s total number of direct flights will fall to between 40 and 45 “eventually.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/blog/20...
Country Blumpkin

New York, NY

#11 Jul 27, 2012
Thanks John Kasich for killing more Ohio jobs. Delta is reducing flights in Cincinnati and United/Continental is "right sizing" Cleveland. He is clearly trying to beat Strickland's record for most jobs lost by a one term govenor. Before you know it, Ohio is going to become the Alabama of the north.

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

#12 Jul 27, 2012
Kramers Attorney wrote:
<quoted text>Last time I was om one there were 34 seats and seven passengers. Had a five minute Chinese fire drill to achieve balance.
I had my head buried in hubby's crotch, saying, "Oh, God". Run with it.
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

#13 Jul 27, 2012
Country Blumpkin wrote:
Thanks John Kasich for killing more Ohio jobs. Delta is reducing flights in Cincinnati and United/Continental is "right sizing" Cleveland. He is clearly trying to beat Strickland's record for most jobs lost by a one term govenor. Before you know it, Ohio is going to become the Alabama of the north.
Nice try loser, but the Airport is in Kentucky and the governor of Kentucky is Steve Beshear, a DUMBOCRAT.

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

#14 Jul 27, 2012
I will be interested to see if/how this affects me. Flying Delta, as I stated on the smoking thread, in Sept; do my own travel planning, already had our seats changed, don't care from CMH to ATL or vice versa. They want my premium seats to make more money. Shrugged it off, only care when it comes to getting through customs were my seat placement is. Guess what, it will be a fairly empty plane, I'll sit where I want.

Delta, when we went away in January, first bag free. I only do carry on, but hubby traveling for work, he had to check a bag,$25, due to tools. Changed policy pretty quick, I try to outsmart...

Why the frick does anyone fly?

Jet Blue, miss you so

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

#15 Jul 27, 2012
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try loser, but the Airport is in Kentucky and the governor of Kentucky is Steve Beshear, a DUMBOCRAT.
You know I'm no fan of Johnnie, but man that was a S-t-r-e-t-c-h

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#16 Jul 27, 2012
GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>I had my head buried in hubby's crotch, saying, "Oh, God". Run with it.
To easy.........

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

#17 Jul 27, 2012
6was9 wrote:
<quoted text>
To easy.........
Never would label you a chicken, bb
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

#18 Jul 27, 2012
6was9 wrote:
<quoted text>
To easy.........
Not really. Believe me, I tried.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#19 Jul 27, 2012
GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>I had my head buried in hubby's crotch, saying, "Oh, God". Run with it.
He should have been the one saying "Oh God" :)

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#20 Jul 27, 2012
GlitterSucks wrote:
I will be interested to see if/how this affects me. Flying Delta, as I stated on the smoking thread, in Sept; do my own travel planning, already had our seats changed, don't care from CMH to ATL or vice versa. They want my premium seats to make more money. Shrugged it off, only care when it comes to getting through customs were my seat placement is. Guess what, it will be a fairly empty plane, I'll sit where I want.
Delta, when we went away in January, first bag free. I only do carry on, but hubby traveling for work, he had to check a bag,$25, due to tools. Changed policy pretty quick, I try to outsmart...
Why the frick does anyone fly?
Jet Blue, miss you so
Yep just sent my two older grandkids to Texas on Delta last Saturday. Two checked bags,$50. Surpriiiiiiiise.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bremen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pensioners queue outside Greek banks amid withd... 1 hr Zoe Regen 5
Obama Donor Argues Pedophilia 'Not a Crime' in ... 1 hr Zoe Regen 19
So...can Obama at least dance? 1 hr Zoe Regen 2
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 2 hr WhackoBird 6,364
News Kasich Not Invited To Speak At Big Conservative... 3 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 162
YO KNOW TIMES ARE TOUGH When…….. 3 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 4
Bumper Stickers 3 hr Parent 41
More from around the web

Bremen People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Bremen Mortgages