Motorcyclist killed in Perry County crash | The Columbus Dispatch

A Fairfield County man died after he crashed in motorcycle off Rt. 668 in Perry County yesterday evening. Full Story
Im sorry__what

United States

#1 Jul 10, 2011
Thoughts and preayers to his family.
HYPERGFORCE

Columbus, OH

#2 Jul 10, 2011
Prayers go to the family.The loss of a fellow rider is always sad.
Old School

United States

#3 Jul 11, 2011
He is number 18 for the year and of course, he was not wearing a helment and of course he went off the right side of the road.
Really

Canal Winchester, OH

#4 Jul 11, 2011
Old School wrote:
He is number 18 for the year and of course, he was not wearing a helment and of course he went off the right side of the road.
I'm a lifelong old school rider who used to race dirt bikes in the states and europe. I didn't always like to wear a helmet, but always did because I knew that helmets save lives! I have crashed my dirt bikes and street bikes numerous times, always wearing a helmet.

Wear a helmet you idiots!!! You think that people seeing your face and looking cool is more important than your life?!?

To your family, I am sorry for your loss.
carmichael

United States

#5 Jul 11, 2011
Old School wrote:
No one wears a helment because there is no such thing.
Question

Columbus, OH

#6 Jul 11, 2011
Another rider not wearing a helmet. They want us to watch for them, but when they ride like the idiots I see on the crotch rockets on 270 or anywhere. They should know to wear helmets, but wait I forgot they think they can't be killed.
Helmets are dangerous

Columbus, OH

#7 Jul 11, 2011
They block your vision and you cant hear anything and they have been know to snap necks...do not wear a helmet...there are no studies saying if you go down a helmet is going to save your life. what they usually say is that it is the difference betwenn an open casket vs a closed one. To Mr. Dirt tarck racer: if i was racing on a track where you can predict what others around you are doing i would wear one too. I have been ridinf for 30+ years and the only near crashes i've were in helmet states because my vision was blocked and I didn't see the car...I ride with a guy who WON the National Championship in dirt track(i won't say his name) but he NEVER wears a helmet either...I believe in preventing an accident rather than preparing myself to be in one...i have never crashed, the accidents you see EVERY year are usually guys that should not be on a bike. I ride with 50 guys and all of them are excellent riders, none wear helmets and none have crashed in 20+ years! Do you know it is illegal to wear a helmet in a car? Why? because you can't see anything...try it sometime...
Bob

Columbus, OH

#8 Jul 11, 2011
Old School wrote:
These numbers include those from a fairly wide area (this was in Perry County). I suppose if you start to include those from Florida, Texas, France, Japan etc., you will be able to even come up with some very large numbers to justify your dislike of motorcycles.
wendy g

Lancaster, OH

#9 Jul 11, 2011
My heart breaks for this family. Gary is one of the hardest working people I have ever known. He has lived down the road from my family all of my 39 years. He graduated with my parents and I went to school with his kids. Helmets or not, there was a loss here and it is devastating to those who know and love him. To the entire Ashbaugh family and friends, our prayers are with you now.
Tom Sawyer

Reynoldsburg, OH

#10 Jul 11, 2011
Shocking, no helmet. Darwin at work.
GETACLUE

Columbus, OH

#11 Jul 11, 2011
Helmets are dangerous wrote:
They block your vision and you cant hear anything and they have been know to snap necks...do not wear a helmet...there are no studies saying if you go down a helmet is going to save your life. what they usually say is that it is the difference betwenn an open casket vs a closed one. To Mr. Dirt tarck racer: if i was racing on a track where you can predict what others around you are doing i would wear one too. I have been ridinf for 30+ years and the only near crashes i've were in helmet states because my vision was blocked and I didn't see the car...I ride with a guy who WON the National Championship in dirt track(i won't say his name) but he NEVER wears a helmet either...I believe in preventing an accident rather than preparing myself to be in one...i have never crashed, the accidents you see EVERY year are usually guys that should not be on a bike. I ride with 50 guys and all of them are excellent riders, none wear helmets and none have crashed in 20+ years! Do you know it is illegal to wear a helmet in a car? Why? because you can't see anything...try it sometime...
You just Jinxed Yourself!!!
SoCal Buckeye

Fullerton, CA

#12 Jul 11, 2011
"They block your vision and you cant hear anything and they have been known to snap necks...do not wear a helmet...there are no studies saying if you go down a helmet is going to save your life"

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/helmet_use...

http://www.state.hi.us/dot/publicaffairs/safe...

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/new-fact-s...

Now there are known studies.

As for personal experience, I can tell you that I went down on the 10 freeway in L.A. when my front tire caught a groove in the pavement and I went into a wobble. As I lost control of the bike and flipped off of it, I crashed in such a way that the back of my head slammed onto the pavement.(I still have the helmet, with the gash in the back to remind me). Had I not been wearing a DOT approved helmet, there is no doubt in my mind that I would have suffered a fractured skull or worse. Instead, I was able to jump up and walk away from that terrifying accident.

Emergency room workers have a nickname for riders who don't wear helmets: They're called "Organ Donors."
I AGREE

Columbus, OH

#13 Jul 11, 2011
Helmets are dangerous wrote:
I agree you 100%! I was driving to work last week, I was on Bolton Field Drive where I DID NOT have a stop sign and I guy on his crotch rocket had a full face helmet on, he pulled out after making a complete stop and almost hit the front fender of my car because he did not see me! I stopped and got out of my car just to make sure he was ok and he flat out said he did not see me! Helmets cause people to wreck because they do block a persons view. I am so sick of all these self righteous people making their ignorant comments about helmets. It is the person getting on that bike making the choice to not wear a helmet and it is noone elses business! All these ignorant, panty waste, sissies need to go back to their loser world of hiding in their tin can cars THAT ALSO CAUSE DEATH and leave all of us who love riding alone.
Jeannie

Erie, PA

#14 Jul 11, 2011
The first time we had our accident I we were both wearing helments and I could hear my husband telling me what he wanted me to do. My helmet was really banged up and it would have been my head. I continue to wear a turtle shell so that I can hear him. I get called"Bucket head" but I could care less. Sometimes helmets cause your neck to break. My husbands choice is not to wear one. Mine is to wear it.

A.B.A.T.E. member in PA
southender

Columbus, OH

#16 Jul 11, 2011
I AGREE wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree you 100%! I was driving to work last week, I was on Bolton Field Drive where I DID NOT have a stop sign and I guy on his crotch rocket had a full face helmet on, he pulled out after making a complete stop and almost hit the front fender of my car because he did not see me! I stopped and got out of my car just to make sure he was ok and he flat out said he did not see me! Helmets cause people to wreck because they do block a persons view. I am so sick of all these self righteous people making their ignorant comments about helmets. It is the person getting on that bike making the choice to not wear a helmet and it is noone elses business! All these ignorant, panty waste, sissies need to go back to their loser world of hiding in their tin can cars THAT ALSO CAUSE DEATH and leave all of us who love riding alone.
Helmets don't kill riders. It is the rider who kills himself.
The helmet does not control what the rider does.
The rider controls his own destiny.
J Kuhn

Bonita Springs, FL

#17 Jul 11, 2011
More and more motorcycles on the highways due to the rise in gasoline prices. Isn't it time to reinstate the helmet law?
Barrack

Columbus, OH

#18 Jul 11, 2011
HELMETS DON'T CAUSE DEATHS, BY THEM SELVES:

Ride Safe,Ride Smart,that means were protective Gear, ie: Helmet, Gloves, Boots, etc, its the Ride Smart that causes the "I did not see" Mentality...the crotch rocket rider was lacking in the "Ride Smart"(be alert area)Helmets do not cause problems, riding rule bending does. Who is to say this Organ Donar might have gone home to his family had he been wearing a helmet....I only agree it was his choice as a free person!!!!!
Bewildered

Newark, OH

#19 Jul 11, 2011
I AGREE wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems like all he had to do to see you was turn his head. Doesn't sound like the helmet's fault to me.
Bewildered

Newark, OH

#23 Jul 13, 2011
ima idiott wrote:
<quoted text>After the first serious crash a sensible person would no longer ride a motorcycle or bike. Maybe you should consider this. Obviously you are not to terribly intelligent. But it takes all kinds
He's smart enough to use a helmet.

By your logic, if you ever have a fender bender in your car you'd never drive again. Or after you fell down and went boom when you first tried to walk, you'd have continued to crawl.
WOW

Cincinnati, OH

#24 Jul 14, 2011
ima idiott wrote:
<quoted text>After the first serious crash a sensible person would no longer ride a motorcycle or bike. Maybe you should consider this. Obviously you are not to terribly intelligent. But it takes all kinds
This coming for someone who obviously failed English in school.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bremen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
To many kids dieing 19 min wondering 6
Two fish were swimming upstream.... 20 min Seriouslady 174
Enterovirus D68, Obama and Illegal Immigrants? 20 min They cannot kill ... 3
OBAMA Outperforms Reagan 46 min Free Pizza 4 U 48
Palin: Brawl In The Family 52 min Duke for Mayor 7
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Jerry K 30,939
Homosexuals in Franklin County spreading Syphilis 1 hr Zoe Regen 15
•••
•••
Bremen Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Bremen Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••