Owner Fires Shots, Scares Off Burglar...

Owner Fires Shots, Scares Off Burglar | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News

There are 78 comments on the 10TV WBNS story from Jul 17, 2011, titled Owner Fires Shots, Scares Off Burglar | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News. In it, 10TV WBNS reports that:

A man is accused of trying to steal from a Fairfield County business, but escaped with nothing.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 10TV WBNS.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
please

Kenton, OH

#63 Jul 18, 2011
Call 911? For what? Police protect "the public at large" and not you as an individual. Help will come but after you are dead and who knows what to your family. Do not rely on 911 to save your life in urgent situations. It's impossible for police to respond in the time needed to protect your life.
Tired of Crime

Columbus, OH

#64 Jul 18, 2011
Thats why I said call 911 and leave the phone off the hook if you have time, if not protect yourself and your family first. Make sure your life or family's lives are in danger before shooting. You can't shoot someone for stealing your property and make sure if you must shoot they are facing you and don't have their back towards you.

I encourage everyone to take a CCW class.
boo hoo

Columbus, OH

#65 Jul 18, 2011
45 cal wrote:
<quoted text>
( i had a family member charged with ccw in his own home, he was sitting in a chair and the weapon was under the cusion he was sitting on.)
I'm throwing my BS flag.
Old Cop

Chillicothe, OH

#66 Jul 18, 2011
If this property owner had hit the guy he would be in jail on a MURDER charge. You can't shoot at someone for stealing personal property OUTSIDE of your home.
He could have held the guy at gunpoint ubtil deputies arrived but nothing more.
Retired Deputy

Chillicothe, OH

#67 Jul 18, 2011
The problem with Fairfiled County & Lancaster is no oine wants to pay to have enough deputies, police or firefighters on staff.
At times there may be only 3 deputies on patrol for that whole county not inc Canal Winchester.
One heated domestic call or burglary in progress
and there are NO DEPUTIES available to respond.
Just Another Voter

Chillicothe, OH

#68 Jul 18, 2011
Where I use to live they had an a "Make My Day" law. But even then the inturder had to be in the house before you could shoot them. Sometimes, with all the home invastions and such, I think we need to bring back that law and include a few changes such as extending the line to the boundries of your property.
Powered by White Trash

Cleveland, OH

#69 Jul 18, 2011
Try an steal my wheels? I'll blast ya good. I do not call 911.
BEEN THERE

Frankfort, OH

#70 Jul 18, 2011
cannot use a firearm for property crime.
kathy

Sunbury, OH

#71 Jul 18, 2011
get a job!!! and pay for you things like normal people do!!
Kasey

Westerville, OH

#72 Jul 18, 2011
westside wrote:
if you see a person walking around your yard and he is looking in your car windows and such. what is the law when you can pull the trigger? if he just broke your window and you see him, can you flat out shoot him even if he don't know your there? i just don't know if your life has to be in danger first. i almost did this but by the time i got my gun i think he heard me and ran.
No, you cannot shot someone on your property even if they are in the process of stealing your tires. You can be charged with a crime. Your life must be in danger or the person must have invaded your home. You only have the right to proctect yourself and your family not your tires!
Gator hunter

Columbus, OH

#73 Jul 18, 2011
Shoot em Elizabeth, Soot em!
Guido

Columbus, OH

#74 Jul 18, 2011
If more people did this we could lay off the lazy cops down there. What a joke to say leave the crime fighting to them. Shoot then call the coroners office. No use calling the cops ...the donut shop won't pick up.
groundhog

United States

#76 Jul 18, 2011
This low life should have been dealt with immediately. Knowing the justice system (as it is) the creep will be out in a few months to continue his life style.
jht

Columbus, OH

#77 Jul 18, 2011
Thanks for the 2nd amendment and for the Castle Doctrine. Glad to see both are being put into good use. I'd like to see news stories like this more often. it may help the anti-gun groups understand the value that law abiding citizens see in protecting themselves. They can't seem to see the whole picture and the vulnerability that is evident when not able to do so.
Nickels

United States

#78 Jul 18, 2011
Well if I shoot it will be to kill. I train with drawing and firing a quick double tap to the chest. I shoot enough that a double tap a few centimeters apart at over 21 ft is as easy as breathing.

People are right in posting that even if you see someone stealing your property on your property you cannot just shoot them. Castle doctrine only includes your immediate home and it's threshold. Now if that person you confront on your property with your weapon drawn has a weapon (bat, knife, gun, etc) then you are clear to burn them down because your life is in danger.

Now if they bust a window and come in your house you can presume they are going to cause you bodily harm and you have no obligation to retreat from your own home ("castle") and can use deadly force.

If you do use deadly force be sure to call 911 as soon as you can safely do so and be sure to ask for an ambulance and the police. Also be sure to describe what you're wearing and where you'll be so the police know who the good guy is when they show up. You want to build the case that you didn't want to kill anyone you merely were protecting your life and your castle and by calling the ambulance you are showing that. You have neutralized the threat and now you are trying to save their life.

Do not say anything to the police when they show up. Exercise your right to remain silent. If the police pressure you to make a statement say you're having chest pains and you demand an ambulance and that will stop their interrogation. Then call a good attorney who has defended self defense gun cases before.

Criminal court is the least of your problems. Civil court is what you should fear since the civil courts seem to be on the side of the criminals.
David

Bellefontaine, OH

#79 Jul 18, 2011
Well I hope he is the person and if he is not hopefully when he trys this again someone else shoots him and leaves his brains splattered all over the ground. This person could all of us a favor by robbing banks and McDonalds instead.
whatnext

Columbus, OH

#80 Jul 18, 2011
don wrote:
Was the robber white or black? Is this question too offensive for some of the news readers for me to ask?
no it is not. that's part of the description.
sick of it all

Cardington, OH

#81 Jul 18, 2011
Another gun owner taking care of himself. Bravo!
What amazes me is that the gun haters have not jumped all over this. Just think, poor criminals being subjected to a dangerous work environment!
Another case of the armed citizen defending his rights. By the way, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that it is not the responsibility of the police to protect you. They only have the responsibility to respond to a crime. That should make you think!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bremen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Men in the Girls Bathroom 17 min Reality Speaks 348
Federal lands in America 24 min Reality Speaks 56
Radical Islamist in Sanders camp 1 hr BIzzy 1
States to sue WH over Bathrooms debacle 1 hr Rob 18
Drumpf: Narcissistic Welfare King 2 hr Reality Speaks 14
SCOTUS ruling in AHCA 4 hr stop tracking rep... 70
State Department Hillary Email Smokescreen-CYA. 4 hr d pants 18
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bremen Mortgages