Duluth, GA

#169 Feb 20, 2014
reynoldston wrote:
Is Atrium and Ellison the same window
yes they are
Phoenix condo owner

Phoenix, AZ

#170 Feb 24, 2014
We nought a new condo about three years ago with atrium windows installed by builder. A couple of them have issues with the aluminum slider along the edge coming detached and they either won't stay open or won't close. They get minimum use so I didn't expect this.

Will be looking into the warranty.
reynoldston

Ontario, NY

#171 Feb 26, 2014
I am having Ellison window installed in my house. Looks like a big mistake???
surecure

Foley, AL

#172 Feb 28, 2014
We bought a 8 year old house with Atrium/Reliabilt windows.Needed to replace a couple screens. Have been running in circles with Lowes and Atrium. Atrium can't do a thing without the warranty number on the sticker on the window. Now, who leaves an ugly sticker on every window for very long?? Finally, Lowes suggested a local screen maker for, he says, maybe $20 a screen. Customer Service? None!
DKing

Dahlonega, GA

#173 Feb 28, 2014
Been in the window industry for over 35 years. Seen many a window Co go under during our recession. Atrium re-vamped. Just toured their 500,00 sq. ft plant in Welcome, NC. It was VERY efficient.
Have sold and installed Atrium windows for over 5years without a single problem. It is usually always the install that causes the problems. I wish I had installed them in my own home. By the way I am a female. very picky and I work in a man's world.!!! Atrium window's are very well built. I saw this with my own eyes. I did have one sash coil balance failure and it was fixed immediately. I do not understand what everyone is saying about them being junk. Please remember everyone has an opinion. Perhaps the good opinions are not being posted. I do not know....??? Just my opinion... right?
Charles Grant

Gilbert, AZ

#174 Mar 5, 2014
Our new Shea home came with Atrium Windows. They have a ten year guarantee. (They no longer use Atrium as their window vendor). Nearing the expiration period, we had the windows inspected. I had noticed that one of the seals had sagged 6 inches. The inspection came rather quickly, within a week or two. That was Dec 2013. 14 panes of our 22 windows needed replacing. After a week or two, I expected a call about their repair. So I called them. I was told that it could be as long as 3 or 4 MONTHS to get to me. I was OK with this as cooler weather was coming. (even for Arizona) So I called again in March. Now, I am told, it could be up to a YEAR and probably would be before the repair is done. This was the same lady that had given me the 3-4 month time frame before. She denied that she would ever give such a time estimate, and we must have misunderstood her. I would never buy a new home with Atrium windows. After the original home owner sells, the guarantee is no longer any good. I believe the Atrium windows to be an inferior product as they had such a high seal failure rate. The companies repair and customer service department is almost entirely nonexistent. Dealing with Atrium has been a disappointment.
Dave

Lebanon, OH

#175 Mar 20, 2014
If somebody wanted to break into your house, all they would have to do is break the glass in any window. Windows don't keep burglars out. What does that have to do with anything?
window genius wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you didn't leave your service job to teach English. At first, I thought my 8-year-old to wrote it but not even he would claim it.
My guess is you had no formal training on fenestration testing, installation or service and have no clue as to what ratings might have been or what occurs at various elevations. 90+% of operation problems are due to installation, construction debris or poor homeowner maintenance. Backed up/poor draining weeps is nearly always a result of homeowners not cleaning out their sills of weep systems, the're full of dirt and bugs. I inspected windows installation for years across several states and saw a whopping ONE jobsite with correctly installed windows. I saw countless installations where they were not shimmed all they way around, hardly ever shimmed on the bottom leaving sills crowning or jambs barreling out or hourglassing in, expansion foam used, Tyvek on the head tucked under the nail-fin instead of over, houses papered backwards. I've also seen in EVERY instance the builder blame it on the window company, straining relationships between dealers and manufacturers to cover up their costly mistakes; especially custom builders. Most operate "paycheck to paycheck" and trust untrained, unlicensed sub-contractors to perform shotty work (my guess is that's where you are working now) then blame window companies for "out of square windows" or "poor operation". Squares and levels never lie! I'm assuming you either didn't have them, didn't know how to use/read them or didn't have the backbone to confront builders about the REAL issues on their jobsite. Here's another secret - A vast majority of window leaks are because of inproper installation, especially with vinyl windows because the frames are welded, there are seldom any voids. Water coming in at the head of a window is always a result of poor installation. Windows are also rated to withstand certain wind speeds and water rates. Water infiltration because you blast it with a garden hose is not an indicator that your windows leak. You likely are causing conditions greater than they are rated. Service techs like this clown are not qualified to conduct fenestration water testing unless they have gone through significant training and have the equipment to properly create the positive and negative pressures used in testing. The only thing left to say is I'm not telling anyone to buy Atrium or JELD-WEN or Milgard or Anderson. I'm telling you that even service techs can be clueless. All the big companies have good and bad attributes and likely will be there tomorrow and the next day - contrary to how uneducated many people are about various forms of bankruptcy (remembering an earlier post about Atrium). These companies all have stellar warranties on their products and stand behind them, albeit sometimes, not with the best, most educated service members or teams.
HFM

Seattle, WA

#176 Mar 25, 2014
Worst windows EVER. Our 1980 windows weren't this crappy. Within 5 years we have had 4 windows replaced from 3 things:
Sweating in between the panes
NEW window dirty in between the panes
Inside pane cracking by no fault of us
And get this, the Atrium guy was at our house replacing the cracked window and as he was almost done the "new" one cracks on the outside!
Ha NEVER again. We will be building a couple of years & won't even consider Atrium!
Angela

Redding, CA

#177 Apr 10, 2014
The contractor who built my house used Atrium windows--after 10 years the seals have failed on most of the windows in the house and the entire window needs replacing, I contacted the contractor, he says he can't recall building the house (he had no problem taking the money when I purchased it new) and by California Law he only has to keep records 4 years. Superior Windows will not replace the windows under the "lifetime warranty" without proof of purchase. So I, the homeowner, am left with bad windows, no warranty and no rights. RUN from this product and make sure you get every paper from your contractor. You never know when you will need it.
mississippi

Alexandria, VA

#178 May 1, 2014
DKing wrote:
Been in the window industry for over 35 years. Seen many a window Co go under during our recession. Atrium re-vamped. Just toured their 500,00 sq. ft plant in Welcome, NC. It was VERY efficient.
Have sold and installed Atrium windows for over 5years without a single problem. It is usually always the install that causes the problems. I wish I had installed them in my own home. By the way I am a female. very picky and I work in a man's world.!!! Atrium window's are very well built. I saw this with my own eyes. I did have one sash coil balance failure and it was fixed immediately. I do not understand what everyone is saying about them being junk. Please remember everyone has an opinion. Perhaps the good opinions are not being posted. I do not know....??? Just my opinion... right?
Thanks for one positive comment that I've read on Atrium. Meanwhile, I'm on verge of agreeing on install of nine Atrium 8900 series windows and glass door (322) replacement windows in a well-maintained, 1968-built, brick, 1000 sf home to replace aluminum-framed, double-paned 'storm windows (late father had them installed in 1980 [we live 2 miles from Gulf Of Mexico]). I suspect the old windows are lousy on energy savings and they don't look too good, BUT what haunts me is the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." These windows have stood up to many a tropical storm and hurricane without a drop of water getting in. But I want something new with a little more curb appeal (probably will sell in 3-5yrs). Local contractor is supposed to be good (so says the local lumber company that recommends him - be advised I'm in small town America) but I don't know beans about these things. Anyway, all I read is Atrium is a disaster - from 2009 through 2014. I was hoping maybe that wasn't the case and that the 8900 model would be a safe pick. Same windown salesman then gives me Alliance belmont as an option and I see where that has worse reviews than Atrium! I don't mind paying the buck to keep from wrecking mom's house, but I need a high quality vinyl suggestion...and any other advice you might care to give. Thanks.
mississippi

Alexandria, VA

#179 May 1, 2014
Jon wrote:
Atruim are fine on higher end most sales people sale you the lower end cause pulp try to save buck .
I'm close to deciding to install Atrium 8900 replacement windows (vinyl). I'm replacing old aluminum frame storm windows (I live near water) from 1980 that must be leaking energy out by the ton. However, they've stood tall through tropical storms and hurricanes and I'm skittish about fixing something that's not broken. But, they are old and have no curb appeal. I may sell house in next 3-5 years. Your thoughts in general and in particular on 8900 series and its quality compared to any other solid, mid-high level compeptitors in replacement field). thx.
david

Mooresville, NC

#180 May 6, 2014
I have sold atrium window over the last two years i have sold 3201 series 3500 series and 3900 series .I have had random problems here and there from imperfections on the windows but atrium is quick to send you a replacement if you need one .about 99% of my customers are happy with there windows and installs so alot of these problems on here must be from installer error .And i dont work for atrium i sell pella too but have constant problems with all models off pella so try to stay away from them.
Cardinal Glass

Littleton, CO

#181 Jun 3, 2014
Trevor wrote:
I am choosing between Atrium Windows, Amerimax (more expensive) and Milgard Classic (Tuscany series). An advice? Sounds like people hate their Atrium windows.
I work at a Cardinal Glass Tempering plant. The Amerimax, Milgard, Champion, Atrium, and others are companies that I temper glass for. The glass is the same and the energy efficiency coatings are our patents. Cardinal does not send windows with fingerprints. My plant is I'm Colorado.
Love Mine

Colorado Springs, CO

#182 Jun 23, 2014
We purchased our Atrium replacement windows in 2014. I absolutely love mine. Our window is not a new construction window as a previous poster had stated. All window companies manufacture many different lines of windows as we learned during our shopping, getting estimates from many different window companies in Colorado. We have had our windows in for 6 months or so and so they have now been through the cold and heat, with no problems.
chrisinpensacola

Mooresville, NC

#183 Jul 28, 2014
surecure wrote:
We bought a 8 year old house with Atrium/Reliabilt windows.Needed to replace a couple screens. Have been running in circles with Lowes and Atrium. Atrium can't do a thing without the warranty number on the sticker on the window. Now, who leaves an ugly sticker on every window for very long?? Finally, Lowes suggested a local screen maker for, he says, maybe $20 a screen. Customer Service? None!
It says on sticker do not remove dAH
Susan

Grand Rapids, MI

#184 Jul 29, 2014
I agree! They are CRAP! They told us the same thing...too much moisture in the house. Getting quiets on Anderson windows.
Emily B wrote:
My husband and I purchased 10 Atrium construction windows. The problems started within 3 weeks of install. We purchased them thru Lowe's and paid A LOT of money to have their contractor install them. I called the store 3 times before anyone even gave me a chance to explain. The salesman was horrible, he didn't care because he had already got his part of the sale. Finally, I got a lady that was going to "help" me. I have had a contractor for Atrium to my house that said the windows were not properly installed then submitted the report to Atrium stating that it was an install problem. My windows collect LOTs of condensation and now have MOLD all around them. I constantly have to wipe the windows. That's not all, I can watch my mini blinds blow with the wind!!! So now, we are 4 months into the complaint and still have NO resolution. Lowe's has come to my house and now tells me we have too much humidity...NO we don't!!! Now, some guy from N.C. is flying in to see what is happening...apparently we are NOT the only ones complaining!! I have also spent over 800.00 in fuel oil for my house is 4 weeks. I only used 500 gallons in a year with my OLD windows...guess I should have just kept the piece of junk we had!!! I think the customer service is horrible and the product is JUNK!!!
broRobW

Woodstock, VA

#185 Aug 30, 2014
A CONTRACTOR wrote:
I've been doing construction for over 17 years, not to mention working construction the 4 summers during high school summer break. I've now owned my own business for 3 years now and i wanted to set the record straight. With all of the negative comments i've read about Atrium window, just know that EVERY window supplier have similar complaints about their windows. I'm here to tell you that when your windows are having problems, it's ALMOST always improper installation. when u are having broken gas leaks leaks with the "between" the window fog, it is because your contractor didn't install the window directly on the framing. I've installed many different windows including Atrium, Jeldwin, Milgard.....I have never had a complaint or service call do do their windows failing.
Just wanted to set the record straight,
Jake
BRAVO! Well stated. Thank you SO much for sharing this.
ECOLD

Loveland, CO

#186 Sep 9, 2014
Most of the negative comments here seem accurate to me. Our home was built in 2003 with Atrium windows. Within 3 years most of the seals had failed. Getting them to return calls and stand by their product has been extremely difficult.
Craig

Marlborough, MA

#187 Tuesday Oct 7
Charles Grant wrote:
Our new Shea home came with Atrium Windows. They have a ten year guarantee.(They no longer use Atrium as their window vendor). Nearing the expiration period, we had the windows inspected. I had noticed that one of the seals had sagged 6 inches. The inspection came rather quickly, within a week or two. That was Dec 2013. 14 panes of our 22 windows needed replacing. After a week or two, I expected a call about their repair. So I called them. I was told that it could be as long as 3 or 4 MONTHS to get to me. I was OK with this as cooler weather was coming.(even for Arizona) So I called again in March. Now, I am told, it could be up to a YEAR and probably would be before the repair is done. This was the same lady that had given me the 3-4 month time frame before. She denied that she would ever give such a time estimate, and we must have misunderstood her. I would never buy a new home with Atrium windows. After the original home owner sells, the guarantee is no longer any good. I believe the Atrium windows to be an inferior product as they had such a high seal failure rate. The companies repair and customer service department is almost entirely nonexistent. Dealing with Atrium has been a disappointment.
They do not make the glass packs. Most all window co get their glass from cardinal glass

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Fight On 27,930
Review: Crystal Pacific Window and Door System (Aug '10) 3 hr Paul 17
Helping the homeless people at La Palma Park (Sep '12) 9 hr Tony 123
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 11 hr Galaxy 5,099
Mother Murdered at LM Swap Meet 15 hr Brian 1
Who do you support for Magnolia School District... (Oct '10) Oct 13 12adf 19
New audio paints different picture of Daniele W... Sep '14 Jackie 1

Beach Hazards Statement for Orange County was issued at October 24 at 12:55PM PDT

Brea News Video

Brea Dating
Find my Match

Brea Jobs

Brea People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Brea News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Brea

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]