Can we reminesce for a while?

Posted in the Brea Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Silent But Deadly

Whittier, CA

#1 Oct 8, 2008
Having been born and raised as well as still living here in LM, I have many memories of the way things were. For the most part, living here has been good. Anyone want to share some history? Remember when there was a minature golf place in what is now creek park? It was complete with the huge statue of the guy holding the golf club. As kids we frequented the place. You could golf, trampoline, play video games for a quarter, and remember the fountain with the seahorse statues you could sit on? That place sure gave us kids something to do. Where is that kind of thing now in our town?
Silent reader

Columbia, MO

#2 Oct 8, 2008
So how old are you?

Silent Reader
Silent But Deadly wrote:
Having been born and raised as well as still living here in LM, I have many memories of the way things were. For the most part, living here has been good. Anyone want to share some history? Remember when there was a minature golf place in what is now creek park? It was complete with the huge statue of the guy holding the golf club. As kids we frequented the place. You could golf, trampoline, play video games for a quarter, and remember the fountain with the seahorse statues you could sit on? That place sure gave us kids something to do. Where is that kind of thing now in our town?
Silent But Deadly

Whittier, CA

#3 Oct 8, 2008
42. I have two older bros and an older sis. Watched them all grow up through the 70's. Remember the concerts at Gardenhill Park Ampetheatre? Those were some crazy drug days.
Silent reader

Columbia, MO

#4 Oct 8, 2008
Hey my brother use to work over at Garden hill park back in the70's. He use to be the so called, park recreation dude, kids loved him.
Silent Reader
Silent But Deadly wrote:
42. I have two older bros and an older sis. Watched them all grow up through the 70's. Remember the concerts at Gardenhill Park Ampetheatre? Those were some crazy drug days.
Silent reader

Columbia, MO

#5 Oct 8, 2008
So what's with your call sign, silent but deadly?

Silent Reader
Silent But Deadly

Whittier, CA

#6 Oct 8, 2008
Yeah I played many a carrom game there. I also attended tiny tots, took tap dancing lessons, and my grandparents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary there in the rec room. Classic! Remember when they took out that big metal climb on toy thing that looked like saturn and replaced it with those stupid farm animals on a spring? I was devistated. Remember the big rocket you could climb in with the slide? That was the party place for the older kids.
Silent But Deadly

Whittier, CA

#7 Oct 8, 2008
Yeah, like a fart. Silent, but deadly.
Silent reader

Columbia, MO

#8 Oct 8, 2008
Carrom, played that many a days, not there but, with my cousins. I noticed that they have taken all the fun stuff out of parks, kids just don't play like that anymore.

Silent Reader
Silent But Deadly wrote:
Yeah I played many a carrom game there. I also attended tiny tots, took tap dancing lessons, and my grandparents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary there in the rec room. Classic! Remember when they took out that big metal climb on toy thing that looked like saturn and replaced it with those stupid farm animals on a spring? I was devistated. Remember the big rocket you could climb in with the slide? That was the party place for the older kids.
Silent But Deadly

Whittier, CA

#9 Oct 8, 2008
I agree, they don't play like that anymore. So what about every other city who has a skate park? I wonder why LM won't build one? I know back in the day of skate parks emerging in other cities, the big thing was fear of lawsuits due to injuries while skating. Apparently other cities have worked around the issue, why not LM? There is not really much to do for tweens and teens and certainly no place to hang out besides "The Center" which has been getting a bad rap lately for kids, drugs, cops, and crime.
truth

La Mirada, CA

#10 Oct 8, 2008
It's great listening to you both talk about what was here before! You may like this website if your not already familier wtih it!

http://www.ourlamirada.com/
Silent reader

Columbia, MO

#11 Oct 8, 2008
I was stationed up in the Monterey Bay back in 1979 and the later 80's, there's an old park up there that resently built a skate park, alot of safety put into the place, but the kids still get all the fun. It can be done, seen a really big one over in Kentucky, with night lights and all, totally awesome.

Silent Reader
Silent But Deadly wrote:
I agree, they don't play like that anymore. So what about every other city who has a skate park? I wonder why LM won't build one? I know back in the day of skate parks emerging in other cities, the big thing was fear of lawsuits due to injuries while skating. Apparently other cities have worked around the issue, why not LM? There is not really much to do for tweens and teens and certainly no place to hang out besides "The Center" which has been getting a bad rap lately for kids, drugs, cops, and crime.
Silent reader

Columbia, MO

#12 Oct 8, 2008
Thank you very much, for some time I've been looking for a sight that is as informative as the one you've just presented, thank you very much.

Sil
truth wrote:
It's great listening to you both talk about what was here before! You may like this website if your not already familier wtih it!
http://www.ourlamirada.com/
Silent But Deadly

Whittier, CA

#13 Oct 8, 2008
To truth:
That site is awesome. I think I might have some stuff to contribute. I especially like the La Mirada Center map. It jogs the memory.
Silent reader

Columbia, MO

#14 Oct 8, 2008
Man! are we old.

Silent Reader
Silent But Deadly wrote:
To truth:
That site is awesome. I think I might have some stuff to contribute. I especially like the La Mirada Center map. It jogs the memory.
LM Mom

Whittier, CA

#15 Oct 8, 2008
And La Fiesta right in the mall in the 80's?
Bored in La Mirada

AOL

#16 Oct 8, 2008
Magic Mushroom, Noah's Arcade, Jim's Burgers Trampolines, La Mirada Bowl
LMHS ALUMNI

Fremont, CA

#17 Oct 8, 2008
BMX racing and Ice Blocking in LM Regional Park
Silent But Deadly

Whittier, CA

#18 Oct 8, 2008
OK everyone from the 70's, riding your skateboard down the "Meatgrinder" at Regional Park!
Silent reader

Columbia, MO

#19 Oct 9, 2008
Man you talk about memories, I left in 79, but I recall everything and the good friends I had that knew how to have a good time. I look at the Sand Lot often and it reminds me of my childhood playing baseball all day. La Mirada did have alot for us to do, if we really got bored, there was Knotts Berry Farm and Disneyland, were we lucky growing up in those days.

Silent Reader
Used to party in LM

Los Angeles, CA

#20 Oct 9, 2008
The only thing I remember in old La Mirada is the
night club at the La Mirada Mall. I think it was
called Jimmy's. I had a lot of fun there! In fact that was the first night club I went dancing at. LOL aahh. The good old days!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 8 hr lmsa dad 6,871
News Heroin Highway - Map of heroin traffic in Santa... (May '10) 13 hr Tourist in Anaheim 26
ssk gangsters (Jan '13) 14 hr Bby sleepy 139
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 15 hr Trojan 32,604
News MATTIS: The Iraq war was a 'strategic mistake' 16 hr Stephany McDowell 1
News Gang member gets 40 to life for shooting father... (Apr '10) Mon Esbp 359
News Gang Injunction Issued In Crack Down On Anaheim... (Mar '08) Mon Esbp 574

Brea Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brea Mortgages