Miller challenger takes earmarks complaint to D.A.

Full story: Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

With hopes to unseat Rep. Gary Miller, a Chino businessman on Tuesday called on the district attorney to investigate some of Miller's earmarks tied to an influential Rancho Cucamonga developer.
Comments
21 - 34 of 34 Comments Last updated May 22, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
BEE ANNE

Ontario, CA

#21 May 6, 2010
where is Lewis wrote:
Interesting... I best reread the story as I missed the name Lewis as the big contributor to Miller. Oh David...
Miller the thriller!
lawsuitworthy

Victorville, CA

#22 May 6, 2010
Terry wrote:
No surprise with the article, nice job Wendy. However,(you knew this was coming), I was disappointed that you painted Burum as an equal opportunity donor. I went through almost all his filings and outside of the presidential race, he gives pretty much ONLY to Republicans. Read the indictments and all the articles and everyone named is a Republican. When the donations go 99-1 to the GOP I would not call that a tie!
The little girl quote was funny and very much chauvinistic!
Did anyone else catch his quip about suing? I thought the rightwingers were against frivolous lawsuits?
I would guess Mr. Miller was suggesting that Burum should file a suit against Mcgroarty since Mcgroarty is slandering Burum and a great organization. Burum's non-profit has been audited and so has Burum, and unfortunately for the conspiracy theorists nothing improper has ever occurred because it is a great organization with hard working people that help families in need.Lee is desperate but he better be careful or he will lose more money than what he is spending on his fledgling campaign when he gets sued for his false accusations against private citizens during election campaigns.
Sam

Pomona, CA

#23 May 6, 2010
Brownie, if you look the word "ignorant" up, you will see this: lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact. Right now, that pretty much sums up your knowledge of the Rep. Gary Miller. I might ad the word "willfully" in front of it to describe your rancor toward Mr. McGroarty. Maybe if you took a little more pride in your academic achievements and a little less pride in your "brownness" we could have a intellectually stimulating debate on the merits of Mr. McGroarty's allegations.
Sam

Pomona, CA

#24 May 6, 2010
lawsuitworthy wrote:
<quoted text>I would guess Mr. Miller was suggesting that Burum should file a suit against Mcgroarty since Mcgroarty is slandering Burum and a great organization. Burum's non-profit has been audited and so has Burum, and unfortunately for the conspiracy theorists nothing improper has ever occurred because it is a great organization with hard working people that help families in need.Lee is desperate but he better be careful or he will lose more money than what he is spending on his fledgling campaign when he gets sued for his false accusations against private citizens during election campaigns.
Hey Lawsuit, never once that I'm aware of did McGroarty call Miller or Burum criminals. He simply called for a criminal "investigation" to be made of the facts, public facts, he uncovered. This is the right of every American. To avail themselves of our wonderful legal system. The rest is up to the D.A. to decide... and that's the million dollar question isn't it. Are Gary Miller and Jeffrey Burum criminals? I can hardly wait...
Anonymous

Hermosa Beach, CA

#25 May 11, 2010
McGroarty needs to go back to Chino with all the other stinky cows!
Redlands Mom

Ontario, CA

#26 May 13, 2010
Once again just follow the money trail it will lead to the answers of who does what and why.

p.s. Since when has Burum been an equal opportunity donor? I suggest you redo your math Ms. Leung.
CORE facts

Upland, CA

#27 May 13, 2010
by Orlando J. Cabrera
Created: 05/12/2010 07:36:41 PM PDT
As the CEO of National Community Renaissance and Hope Through Housing Foundation, I am dismayed our organizations are caught in a political crossfire. We serve countless families and seniors by providing basic human needs such as clean, safe, affordable housing, and services such as academic enrichment, senior health services, and low-cost preschools. We are nationally recognized for our work.
If anyone has questions about the value National CORE and Hope bring to communities, they need only travel to any of our sites to see the positive impact on individuals and communities.
Congressional candidate Lee McGroarty requested the district attorney investigate whether political contributions to Congressman Gary Miller by Jeff Burum influenced earmarks received by nonprofit organizations where Mr. Burum was on the board. National CORE and Hope Through Housing Foundation are referenced in this accusation.
That is an interesting stunt: ask a state prosecutor to investigate federal contributions and then allow the situation to appear as if something Congressman Miller did was untoward. Although Congressman Miller recommended our applications for funding, he never sat on any appropriations committee or subcommittee where approval of the appropriation is debated and decided.
Just to give readers a sense of how absurd that allegation is, itís a little bit like accusing the Lakers of cheating in a Kingís game.
Like many nonprofit organizations, National CORE and Hope Through Housing Foundation apply for funding as a way to deliver services. We apply based on what funding is available for programs we provide, and we apply for these funds through congressional offices in those districts where we serve. Members of Congress, who support our applications, have visited our sites and know the positive impact our work has. The federal funding Congressman Miller and many other members of Congress supported are for after-school programs, youth violence prevention, and the creation and preservation of affordable housing.
Mr. McGroarty is exhibiting his willingness to misuse facts, so here are some undeniable facts.
Gary Miller is a great advocate of affordable housing and balanced communities. He never received any compensation from our organizations. As CEO, I state without equivocation that while Mr. Burum sat on our board he did so for no compensation whatsoever. He offered his expertise, knowledge, and leadership and has been a generous contributor to our mission. He has no personal financial interest in our organizations. National COREís award-winning work is easily visible in the neighborhoods it created and transformed and that transformation is directly attributable to Mr. Burumís two-decade-long efforts.
Having served under President George W. Bush as an assistant secretary at the U.S. Department of HUD, and Gov. Jeb Bush as executive director of the Florida Housing Finance Corporation, I understand the need for competent nonprofits that deliver outstanding services on which working families and seniors can depend. National CORE and Hope Through Housing Foundation are tremendous organizations; it is disconcerting that Mr. McGroarty would hurl insinuations without regard or knowledge of what these organizations accomplish. I have to wonder about the future of our Republican Party if candidates like Mr. McGroarty are elected on the basis of misrepresentation of facts, misunderstanding of law, and complete mischaracterization of the legislative process. Iím more consternated by the thought that Republicans of the 42nd District would consider someone who has fundamentally misled them under these facts to replace Congressman Miller.
CORE facts

Upland, CA

#28 May 13, 2010
By promoting his visit to the San Bernardino County District Attorneyís Office, Mr. McGroarty implies political contributions are of questionable legality, a nearly incomprehensible stance with which I fervently disagree. I personally contributed, and will continue to contribute, to Congressman Millerís campaigns because he earned my trust and I believe in him. I have contributed toward many other congressional, state and local campaigns because I cherish my ability as an American to participate in the political process, which is at the core of our constitutional system.

In Congressman Millerís case, Southern California and the nation benefitted from his service to our country and his constituents should be proud. In spite of the partisan gridlock in Washington, he has solved problems faced by his district, state and country. Casting baseless aspersions hoping that something will stick is cheap and small.
Dave

Whittier, CA

#29 May 13, 2010
In CORE facts, Mr. Cabrera stated "I personally contributed, and will continue to contribute, to Congressman Millerís campaigns because he earned my trust and I believe in him."
According to the McGroarty website (the pdf documents that are available for download) it claims that $15 million dollars in earmarks was destined to CORE. In my opinion, Mr. Cabrera might want to change his statement to "he bought my trust". Tell Gary Miller if he sends 15 million of federal money to me, I'll contribute to his campaign too...oops I mean I'll believe in him.
Citizen of United States

Saint Hedwig, TX

#30 May 18, 2010
Of course Mr. Cabrera "feels" as he states. His job is on the line. Where do you think most if not all his salary/benefits comes from? Why, the earmarks...free, non-taxed funds!!! Mr. Cabrera is fighting for his livelihood (so would I)if I earned 6 figures:)
cluelesscitizen

Victorville, CA

#31 May 19, 2010
Citizen of United States wrote:
Of course Mr. Cabrera "feels" as he states. His job is on the line. Where do you think most if not all his salary/benefits comes from? Why, the earmarks...free, non-taxed funds!!! Mr. Cabrera is fighting for his livelihood (so would I)if I earned 6 figures:)
you obviously have no clue how big National Core is if you think the employees are living off the earmarks. Core is a billion dollar organization that was given the non-profit status to lessen the burdens of government. The reason Core gets money is because they provide services that the government would have to provide if Core did not. The reason Core is the most awarded non-profit housing organization in the country is because it provides those same services better. By better I mean more cost effectively and with meaningful results. If you knew the organization whether republican or democrat you would appreciate that our money is going to the right organization with the right mission. This is not Haliburton, this is a non monetary driven organization that has caring people giving of themselves to help others. Shame on all those who have not taken the time to understand what Core does but would rather take ignorant shots at good people. It is a shame when politics brings in good people and good work without regard for those who are hurt. Mr. McGroarity has demonstrated to many what levels he is willing to stoop to before he ever takes office, I wonder what level he is willing to lower himself to once he gets there?
Dave

Whittier, CA

#32 May 21, 2010
Cluelesscitizen,
What about the Red Cross? They are a good organization, maybe we should give them a few hundred million. Then there is the American Cancer Society, why I bet they could use another couple hundred million for research. I think the Big Brother program in my neighborhood could use some funding. Guide Dogs for the blind might be a good cause.
The point is clueless, if you try to use the nobility of the cause as justification, it still stinks. Who is Gary Miller to decide that CORE's needs are greater then some other charity's. Gary and the rest of Washington should not be spending our tax dollars this way. If Miller want's to write a personal check to CORE or use his position to get their name out, fine....but STOP SPENDING MY MONEY ON YOUR PET PROJECTS!
dlorahdebarge

Indianapolis, IN

#33 May 21, 2010
lawsuitworthy wrote:
<quoted text>I would guess Mr. Miller was suggesting that Burum should file a suit against Mcgroarty since Mcgroarty is slandering Burum and a great organization. Burum's non-profit has been audited and so has Burum, and unfortunately for the conspiracy theorists nothing improper has ever occurred because it is a great organization with hard working people that help families in need.Lee is desperate but he better be careful or he will lose more money than what he is spending on his fledgling campaign when he gets sued for his false accusations against private citizens during election campaigns.
Burum's going to have to sue a lot of citizens then...sort of the reverse of a class action with grant money...keep dreamin' LOL,LOL,LOL Burum would have to prove that his character was damaged by the comments.LOL,LOL,LOL
learnB4uspeak

Victorville, CA

#34 May 22, 2010
Dave wrote:
Cluelesscitizen,
What about the Red Cross? They are a good organization, maybe we should give them a few hundred million. Then there is the American Cancer Society, why I bet they could use another couple hundred million for research. I think the Big Brother program in my neighborhood could use some funding. Guide Dogs for the blind might be a good cause.
The point is clueless, if you try to use the nobility of the cause as justification, it still stinks. Who is Gary Miller to decide that CORE's needs are greater then some other charity's. Gary and the rest of Washington should not be spending our tax dollars this way. If Miller wants to write a personal check to CORE or use his position to get their name out, fine....but STOP SPENDING MY MONEY ON YOUR PET PROJECTS!
Dave you are like a lot of clueless bloggers. First the American Cancer Society and the Red Cross do get funding like National Core from the federal government. All non-profits which are properly created and which have proper oversight that perform social programs which the government encourages has the opportunity to apply for grant funding. Don't take your uneducated position out on good people. National provides housing to the working poor of our country. Unfortunately, the working poor in our country includes teachers, nurses, and most of the people who serve you at your bank or local restaurant. Organizations like National Core have a proven twenty year track record of providing serves cheaper than the government. The government must by law provide these services, national Core just shows them how to do it better and cheaper which is why it is the most successful and decorated non-profit housing provider in the country.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 28 min KiMare 200,607
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 3 hr Brett Weir 15,965
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr Trojan 27,101
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 7 hr Duh 5,015
Vagos motorcycle club targeted in Southern Cali... (Mar '06) 12 hr SEYMOOR DUCK 4,793
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 14 hr napalmers 7,933
Known gang member found fatally shot in East Va... (Nov '12) Sun Southsider 4 life 62
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Orange County was issued at September 01 at 1:14AM PDT

•••

Brea News Video

•••
•••

Brea Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Brea People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••