Miller challenger takes earmarks comp...

Miller challenger takes earmarks complaint to D.A.

There are 34 comments on the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin story from May 4, 2010, titled Miller challenger takes earmarks complaint to D.A.. In it, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin reports that:

With hopes to unseat Rep. Gary Miller, a Chino businessman on Tuesday called on the district attorney to investigate some of Miller's earmarks tied to an influential Rancho Cucamonga developer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Inland Valley Daily Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tootsie

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#1 May 4, 2010
Unbelievable...
Tootsie

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#2 May 4, 2010
What I want to know is when the last time these two organizations received an audit? Who audits these agencies? Our elected officials are funnelling money into these agencies with an expectation that money will be funnelled back to them for their campaigns? Wouldn't that be a quid pro quo? Miller has been investigated and has even been recognized as one of the most corrupt congressman in D.C. It appears that Burum is equally corrupt. All of these developers seem to think that enriching themselves, through taxpayer dollars, is an entitlement. All they have to do is give a small amount of money to the elected official and the millions keep on flowing....THIS HAS GOT TO STOP! It is an outrage. Thank you Daily Bulletin for keeping us informed.
Sam

Long Beach, CA

#3 May 4, 2010
I find it funny (in a sad way) that Congressman Miller chose to use the term "little girl" in a derogatory fashion about Mr. McGroarty. I met Lee McGroarty at a Tea Party protest on Tax Day and when I asked him why he was running for office, he said he was doing it "for his 3 little girls". You should be ashamed Gary Miller...for everything!
Beetlejuice

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#4 May 4, 2010
Gary Miller spends more time cavorting around his Rancho Cucamonga project than he does in his own district or Washington, D.C. for that matter. Further, the reporter did not put together the simple reason that Miller has so closely befriended Jeff Burum: Miller needs approval for his Rancho Cucamonga project and Burum owns the Rancho Cucamonga City Council! Voila! So give Burums's non-profit a bunch of taxpayer money, so that Burum can demand that his stooges vote for Miller's project. DISGUSTING.
Amber

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#5 May 5, 2010
Can you guess who Gary Miller is endorsing for 63rd District - non other than our Mayor Don Kurth.
What a suprise! How nice to have the Mayor help your outrageous development through the city.
The RealDeal

Moreno Valley, CA

#6 May 5, 2010
Rep.Gary Miller is a crook. Let's not forget the more than $10,000,000 in profits he has been able to shield from both state and federal taxes since since he sold 165 acres of land to the city of Monrovia in 2002. He claimed he was forced to sale under the threat of eminent domain. The city of Monrovia disputed his claim but he still hasn't been forced to anty up. He turned around and did it a 2nd time in 2005 when he sold 10 lots to the city of Fontana. He didn't pay taxes on the gain once again claiming he was pressured into selling by the city, which Fontana promptly denied.

Once again this guys a crook. Read more by going into the LATIMES.COM SITE and searching under "Official's tax break: on firm ground?"
really

Palmdale, CA

#7 May 5, 2010
All I can ever say is hahahahahahahaha
where is Lewis

Downey, CA

#8 May 5, 2010
Interesting... I best reread the story as I missed the name Lewis as the big contributor to Miller. Oh David...
flipper

Los Angeles, CA

#9 May 5, 2010
wendy the thing to look for is whether Burum et al used the homes built by the nonprofit as a way to escape having to build affordable housing in his other mega-developments, thereby increasing his profits. i don't know if RC or Upland or whatever requires new developments to include a percentage of affordable units but developers often claim an "offset" to that requirement by building "affordable" units elsewhere so their big projects can all sell for top dollar instead of having their prices dragged down by those albatross affordable units mixed in. if that's the case, then Miller was spending tax dollars on increasing a favorite developer's profits. but otherwise, it's not that big a deal
obamasajoke

Claremont, CA

#10 May 5, 2010
this is nothing but a witch-hunt on congressman Miller. this lee mcgrooger (DOESN'T HAVE A NEW MOVIE OUT?) is a amateur joke. in these days of hard fought battles in congress TO SAVE THIS COUNTRY, i put my money and trust on Miller. it's easy for this newspaper to put their spin on/against a highly qualified GOP congressman like Miller. they will help any weak candidate to replace a strong GOP congressman any day. PEOPLE, don't believe this crap. Millers been vetted on this issue and has come out clean.

oh yeah, this knucklehead pres. is selling us down the river. in today's Russian pruege newspaper, they did a piece on obama and their basically laughing at us because of our turn towards Marxism.
Terry

Covina, CA

#11 May 5, 2010
No surprise with the article, nice job Wendy. However,(you knew this was coming), I was disappointed that you painted Burum as an equal opportunity donor. I went through almost all his filings and outside of the presidential race, he gives pretty much ONLY to Republicans. Read the indictments and all the articles and everyone named is a Republican. When the donations go 99-1 to the GOP I would not call that a tie!

The little girl quote was funny and very much chauvinistic!

Did anyone else catch his quip about suing? I thought the rightwingers were against frivolous lawsuits?
Dave

Pomona, CA

#12 May 5, 2010
obamasajoke, you call Miller a "highly qualified GOP congressman", so I'm assuming you are a conservative Republican. What do you think about Miller siding with the democrats on BOTH BAILOUTS, BOTH CASH FOR CLUNKERS, and co-sponsoring housing legislation with Barney Frank and Maxine Waters that helped lead to our sub-prime housing mess. We are all entitled to our opinions, but I just don't understand why more conservatives aren't fed up with Miller. He betrayed party principles when we most needed him to stand firm. I'm ready to give someone new a try, and McGroarty sounds like he's fed up just like me.
Jason

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#13 May 5, 2010
obanasajoke, you say you can put your trust in Miller yet do you not think it's a problem that Miller has been involved not in one or two but about TEN highly questionable dealings. It's common for public figures to be subject to alot of judgement but very few of them make it on the list of top ten most corrupt politicians like Miller has. You can say he's been vetted and come out clean but I bet if you had 38 million and his power you would too! I have followed his dealings in depth for YEARS now! I suggest you do some extreme research on him, that is the only way you will see the truth. You are not alone even Calvary Chapel Church is fooled by him. Sad to say Miller has blinded so many. This is not what a supposed Chrisian man looks like.
Sam

Long Beach, CA

#14 May 5, 2010
You make an EXCELLENT point Jason. What are the Calvary Chapel pastors going to do when the DA opens a grand jury investigation of Miller? Are they still going to give him free reign behind the podium? Are they still going to support one of the most consistently listed corrupt members of Congress? Miller is a hypocrite of the highest order. However, it looks as though his sins have finally found him out w/ McGroarty.
brown pride

San Jacinto, CA

#15 May 5, 2010
Sam-Jason-Dave, I won't try to speak on Millers business ventures, but I can speak on my personal experience. My brother has lived in America for over 45 years. When it came time for him to collect his social security, he was told that he didn't have the correct legal papers from his immigration. We went through two years of hell, with no end in sight. A friend of mine told me to contact Miller. We did, and he and his staff researched my brothers case and found that my brother is a legal citizen and deserves whats coming to him. They did for him what no one else would. Miller and his staff went far and above what anyone else cared to do or would do.

As far as Calvary Chapel... You three need to be very careful at second guessing who Pastor Raul puts in his pulpit. You three also should be careful accusing a Christian Man like Miller. God himself has placed Miller where he is and who do you think you are to second guess HIM. Understand that IF indeed Miller has done wrong, God will deal w/him. You three are being murmurers and complainers. Look up in the bible what god does with those types...

Summing up, Lee McGroarty can put as many plants in this opinion column as he wants, but the people will speak in Nov. and I believe Miller will again represent the 41st. congressional district.
Dave

Pomona, CA

#16 May 6, 2010
Brown Pride,
I'm glad that Miller was able to help you and your family. I can't imagine someone that's a 10 year veteran of Congress would have been completely useless to everyone in the district. However, you must admit that his repeated implication into ethics violations has to make you wonder. There were may groups (The Hill, CREW, as well as this paper) that have all reported on Miller's various issues. McGroarty just threw another log on the fire.
I'm sorry, but I don't believe that God placed Miller there, he was elected by the people of the 42nd and unlike god, people make mistakes. I think the voters of the 42nd will be making another one if they let this crook get re-elected.
Sam

Long Beach, CA

#17 May 6, 2010
brown pride - my guess is that Pastor Raul, like so many others who voted for Miller, are operating from a place of ignorance. No disrespect intended. But most people don't take the time to research a candidates record. All they care about is the person has the correct (R) or (D) next to their name and that they believe in the same core values or principles. Gary Miller is a social conservative (that's why Pastor Raul and Pastor Jack at Chino Hills have supported him) but HE'S A FISCAL LIBERAL! It was Miller who helped destroy the housing market and collapse our entire economy! It is Miller who feels government should have a bigger, stronger say in the life of you and your family. These are not conservative values. They are typical liberal Democrat values. And that is why Gary Miller needs to be voted out of office and replaced with a TRUE CONSERVATIVE.
brown pride

San Jacinto, CA

#18 May 6, 2010
sam-jason-dave, or should i say lee, all three are obviously the same person. calling these men of God ignorant is a BIG MISTAKE. stating that Miller was with B.FRANK on our housing woes, is like saying obamas a conservative.

Lee, your not going to win this election by planting negative opinions of Miller in this paper.
Dave

La Mirada, CA

#19 May 6, 2010
Brown Pride,
For the record, I am not Lee and I have no idea who Sam and Jason are. The only thing that is not true about my statements is that I live in Chino, not Chino Hills, and have lived there for about 15 years (I don't know why Chino Hills comes up).
Secondly, I copied the following quote off McGroarty's website. You can go there yourself and click on "HOUSING BUBBLE" and confirm it. If it is untrue, please provide your proof rather than accusations.

May 2008 Gary Miller is the only Republican in California to support (and co-sponsor) Barney Frank Housing Bill, a $300 Billion Bailout of the Housing Industry. Read Miller’s quotes.
Dave

La Mirada, CA

#20 May 6, 2010
I posted the above message from my work in Pico Rivera....sorry for the confusion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gang Injunction Issued In Crack Down On Anaheim... (Mar '08) 2 hr tellinitlikeitis 609
News Vagos motorcycle club targeted in Southern Cali... (Mar '06) 7 hr Unknown 4,840
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 7 hr lmsa parent 7,319
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr Chosen Traveler 32,719
News 2012-12-16 12:00 AM. Theft on 21XX W DOGWOOD AV... (Dec '12) 9 hr Fsp 106
News Man stabbed by gang members (Feb '09) 9 hr tellinitlikeitis 183
News Planned power outages today in La Puente and In... (May '10) Sun Charles 10

Brea Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brea Mortgages