Brea police fatally shoot robbery sus...

Brea police fatally shoot robbery suspect

There are 117 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Jun 30, 2010, titled Brea police fatally shoot robbery suspect. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

Brea police fatally shot a 25-year-old robbery suspect outside his home in Yorba Linda today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

The Truth Will Come Out

Fredericksburg, VA

#23 Aug 11, 2010
First, if you are the parent of the adult that you are calling a child, your adult child is a liar-furthermore you were not there. Second if you are the parent of one of the three people who made a false police report you are the parent of either Chris Cooper, Mike Foss or Briana McCarthy all of Yorba Linda. All are Dope heads and Foss is on Probation, Your attempt to try and cover your kid for a most heinous crime will not suffice for justice will prevail and your adult child will be paying the price for his/her evil lies-Additionally the Brea PD has to be the most ignorrant Department in the world for beleiving those lies-at this point the stay silent trying to cover up an atrocity for which they will be held accountable.
Insider wrote:
There are a lot of unanswered questions here. My condolences go out to this young mans family. I do not know if he had a gun when confronted by the Brea Police department. What I can say is he definately had a gun when he and Adela robbed three people. I know because my child was one of the three that had the gun placed to their heads. I sure there is more to the story but my child gave me and account of what happened and it would have made most of us pee our pants. Again, my heart goes out to the family of Julien.
Juggernaut

Brea, CA

#24 Aug 12, 2010
YL Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Juggernaut - you must be a Brea PD
You either fabricated your stories or bought the Brea PD fabricated stories. For those of us that live here - Brea PD is a poor excuse for a PD as most other local PD's will state.
The recent review by an independent organization has called for a civilian oversight board, which Brea PD is fighting. The report is public record.
Fabrication is not the word here, it is FACT, Obviously you are biased against Brea PD. Name which other PD's have a poor attitude against Brea and the reasons for it. I bet you can't find any that are not based on rumor and conjecture. You are WRONG about any independent organization calling for an oversight board. Show the public record report. You can't and you know it. You're making crap up. Go back to the rock you were hiding under.
Juggernaut

Brea, CA

#25 Aug 12, 2010
interesting wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you meant 'civil case' not 'civic case'
Overextending knowledge and relying on authority without merit is a common mistake that a lot of cops, their family members and low self esteem sympathizers make.
You're right. It's called a typo.
Concerned Citizen

Bellflower, CA

#26 Aug 27, 2010
What happened to victim's rights? If these are the alleged three who were allegedly victimized (no idea how you got those names), who are you to call them out as culpable for the death of Julian?

Julian apparently failed to follow a simple rule: obey the commands of an officer of the peace. If a police officer is giving me specific instructions I know to follow those instructions or else I am placing myself in peril - REGARDLESS of whether I am falsely accused or not. No different than looking both ways prior to entering a crosswalk even though the sign says "Walk". I may have the right to walk in the crosswalk because the sign says so, but if an automobile, motorcycle, bicyclist, etc... is not paying attention and runs the light then who is the loser? I am. As a citizen Julian had his rights, but so did the community. And the community suspected Julian of not providing the community its rights, and the community called him on it. It's unfortunate that he did something to put himself in lethal harm's way.

The other alleged felon did follow the instructions of the police and she is still alive, albeit still behind bars. Oh, and she's not exactly a princess according to the reports. It's unfortunate that Julian was with her and potentially under her influence, to the point of him losing his life.

If Julian's accusers are correct, he put them in lethal harm's way as well - without any authority to do so. This does not justify his death. It does, however, provide enough information for the police to warrant a visit with him. If he'd followed the Brea PD's direction then he'd one day be able to face those accusers.

Police take shooting someone very seriously. This event will be haunt the officer involved for years. Paperwork, potential civil suits, extra days in court, are all things officers do not enjoy.

And if those three are not the victims, then why drag their names through the mud? I see you do not use your real name as you blog on this forum. Why not?

And finally, Brea PD is not "stay[ing] silent trying to cover up an atrocity". If you know anything about procedure, you would know that the DA's office is required to investigate the event. The police department is out of the picture when an officer is involved in a shooting, specifically to dispel concerns of a police cover-up.
The Truth Will Come Out wrote:
First, if you are the parent of the adult that you are calling a child, your adult child is a liar-furthermore you were not there. Second if you are the parent of one of the three people who made a false police report you are the parent of either Chris Cooper, Mike Foss or Briana McCarthy all of Yorba Linda. All are Dope heads and Foss is on Probation, Your attempt to try and cover your kid for a most heinous crime will not suffice for justice will prevail and your adult child will be paying the price for his/her evil lies-Additionally the Brea PD has to be the most ignorrant Department in the world for beleiving those lies-at this point the stay silent trying to cover up an atrocity for which they will be held accountable.
<quoted text>
uhyea

Fullerton, CA

#27 Aug 27, 2010
YL Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Juggernaut - you must be a Brea PD
You either fabricated your stories or bought the Brea PD fabricated stories. For those of us that live here - Brea PD is a poor excuse for a PD as most other local PD's will state.
The recent review by an independent organization has called for a civilian oversight board, which Brea PD is fighting. The report is public record.
10-22 Station 22
blue eyed devil

United States

#28 Aug 27, 2010
Julian was a 25 year old heroin addict. Who robbed many other people in yorba linda with the same weapon. He threatened too kill a persons mother and little sister. He deserved what happened. Hopefully he felt pain.
blue eyed devil

United States

#29 Aug 27, 2010
First of all julian was a heroin addict. How come no body talks about that. Screw rights he robbed three people who were at least five years younger than him. He paid the price for threatening to kill their familys. Wether those yound adults were drug addicts too doesn't matter. And you continue to put peoples names out there watch something happen to one of them and ull be at fault for it how would you like that to happen? Hopefully julian didn't suffer but his family knows he was a drug addict and hopefully they can forgive him for that but I'm sure those young adults won't forgive him for threatening their families.
Rude poster

Bellflower, CA

#30 Aug 27, 2010
GITA wrote:
Sounds like one of those arrogant pigs made a boo boo! Usually. when a suspect points a gun or threatens a cop, they are QUICK about telling the media so that they get the public's sympathy and understanding. So why not say why they shot this guy? Did he pull out the gun? Did he resist arrest? Or maybe they didn't realize the guy's Dad was an attorney and now they'll need a really good reason for shooting him! Sounds like yet another case of cops on a power trip! What else is new? I doubt it but I hope this lowlife cop gets what he deserves.One less pig, one less racist, one less low life who completed a stupid academy course,now harrassing people who PAY THEIR SALARY and TRAINING!
There are a few good cops, I've had the privilege of meeting a couple, but most of em are the same thing....losers on a power trip! they complete a **** academy course, get a badge and don't know what to do with themselves! oink oink...
Gita sounds very angry and unstable. And he has no idea what the academy puts recruits through. More than he could handle, I'm sure. Ever notice how those who say 'pigs' usually work minimum wage jobs, do drugs and are jealous of those who have good lives? Perhaps he's gotta work overtime at that drive-thru window (I said TWO packets of ketchup, moron!) to pay a traffic ticket that Brea PD gave him. Cops don't harass people just for the heck of it. Gita is doing something to get that attention.
YL Resident

San Diego, CA

#32 Aug 28, 2010
Juggernaut wrote:
<quoted text>
Fabrication is not the word here, it is FACT, Obviously you are biased against Brea PD. Name which other PD's have a poor attitude against Brea and the reasons for it. I bet you can't find any that are not based on rumor and conjecture. You are WRONG about any independent organization calling for an oversight board. Show the public record report. You can't and you know it. You're making crap up. Go back to the rock you were hiding under.
OK - here is the report calling for an oversight board
http://www.ci.yorba-linda.ca.us/~ci26/images/...
michael

Duarte, CA

#33 Aug 28, 2010
Veeeee wrote:
Shoot all the felons.,.Pleeeeaseeeeee!
if they shot at all the felons,95% of the police would be gone then whay about city hall how many felons are in these city halls in LA county.this county needs to go after the real dangers.a murdering a 25 year kid for stealing isnt solving the state problems only making things worse.this is AMERICA every one has rights where are this kids rights,
Juggernaut

Burbank, CA

#34 Aug 29, 2010
YL Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
OK - here is the report calling for an oversight board
http://www.ci.yorba-linda.ca.us/~ci26/images/...
The "oversight Board" you refer to is part of a survey done by the YL city council. When the new council members were elected one of their campaign promises were to evaluate police services for the city by using an independent company. These companies ALWAYS recommend an oversight board. If you read the study, they tell council that the police department actually is doing a good job with what resources they have and do not recommend any change. Next time read and try to understand something you cite.
Looking for the truth

Dallas, TX

#35 Sep 5, 2010
If the concerned citizen would face up to his responsibility and put his real name, you would all see that he is in law enforcement. This is their M.O.. Take no responsibility for their misconduct and then hide behind their badges and preach to the citizenry how it is ALWAYS the victim's fault. You will hear again from that spineless excuse of a cop how the cops are never to blame. He will not disclose his identity as he well knows that being a cop will minimize his credibility. He further knows that the District Attorney has never prosecuted a cop in Orange County. If he had any humanity, which he does not, he would be pleading with the OCDA to look at the shooting of an unarmed man by the police with great concern for the safety of the public and not directed at clearing the cop of criminal responsibility.
Croak

San Jose, CA

#36 Sep 5, 2010
I never met the late Julian but it sounds like I didn't miss anything.

Like a lot of young druggies, he probably had a charming side to him that some would characterize as bull*****ing. He probably hung around with similar young losers, and he probably used a gun to make his point when they were arguing about drugs and money.

Concerned Citizen makes some excellent points -- you may be totally innocent, but when the police show up at your door, you need to do EXACTLY what they tell you to do. Save the defenses and arguments for later, or better yet let your lawyer handle it.

Julian probably thought he could bluster and BS his way out of this situation. That may work with his drug-addled friends, but the police didn't see it the same way. Hopefully Julian's pals will learn a life-saving lesson from this incident and use it as a springboard to turn their lives around.
Croak

Los Gatos, CA

#37 Sep 5, 2010
See the news stories and comments about Julian Collender at OC Weekly. ALLEGEDLY, he and a woman robbed three people at gunpoint in a shopping center parking lot. The robbers allegedly took some Oxycontin from the victims. Julian was holding the gun, and one of the victims recognized him.

Four hours later, just after midnight, police confronted Julian at his house, just as he was getting out of his car. Julian was fatally shot in the stomach. If the police were working with information that Julian had committed a crime with a gun a few hours before, it's easy to understand why they believed they needed to use deadly force on him.
Croak

Los Gatos, CA

#38 Sep 5, 2010
The victim's father and other family members say they "want answers." That is understandable. But maybe they didn't ask the right questions during his lifetime.

Julian was 25 years old, but he was still living with his parents and just managed to finish junior college. What was he doing with his life, and where did he get his money?

Why was he hanging out with a young woman who pleaded guilty to prostitution charges in April?

Julian had his own store in Oakland in his early 20s. What happened to that business and what limits/expectations were imposed by his family after he returned to California.

The police took a rifle and handgun from the house. Were they Julian's and if so why was he allowed to keep weapons while living under his parents' roof?

The answers to these questions may be difficult for the family to accept, but they will offer some insight into how Julian Collender ended up dead after a confrontation with the police.
Croak

Los Gatos, CA

#39 Sep 5, 2010
* after he returned to Southern California.
white warrior

Mount Gilead, OH

#40 Sep 6, 2010
Rahowa
That fool deserved death
Death too all who oppose us
The Black Ninja

Los Gatos, CA

#41 Sep 6, 2010
white warrior wrote:
Rahowa
That fool deserved death
Death too all who oppose us
maybe the police shoulda smoked you instead, bigmouth.
Croak

San Jose, CA

#42 Sep 6, 2010
white warrior wrote:
That fool deserved death
You are wrong. If Julian had obeyed the officer's commands, he'd be here to give his side of the story.
Concerned Citizen

La Quinta, CA

#43 Sep 6, 2010
Looking for the truth wrote:
If the concerned citizen would face up to his responsibility and put his real name, you would all see that he is in law enforcement. This is their M.O.. Take no responsibility for their misconduct and then hide behind their badges and preach to the citizenry how it is ALWAYS the victim's fault. You will hear again from that spineless excuse of a cop how the cops are never to blame. He will not disclose his identity as he well knows that being a cop will minimize his credibility. He further knows that the District Attorney has never prosecuted a cop in Orange County. If he had any humanity, which he does not, he would be pleading with the OCDA to look at the shooting of an unarmed man by the police with great concern for the safety of the public and not directed at clearing the cop of criminal responsibility.
You are way off the mark. I am simply a person who understands how to behave when my life/reputation is potentially at risk. For example, I understand that the best way to behave when pulled over by a traffic officer is to roll my window down immediately upon stopping and then to keep my hands on the steering wheel until instructed to provide a license and registration. ANY OTHER movement gets the officer's adrenalin pumping, heart racing, and blood pressure up. That creates potential risk, including a higher probability of getting a ticket.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Poster X 33,425
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 8 hr in the know 9,116
News High-rise towers, pedestrian bridge planned for... 11 hr David 1
News Vagos motorcycle club targeted in Southern Cali... (Mar '06) 22 hr Pasquali 4,850
News A girl waves a Mexican flag during rallies in L... (Mar '06) Sun Lynn 4,551
News Sweep targets local gang (Nov '08) Sat secret Asian man 125
La Mirada Music Thread (Oct '15) Jul 22 Musikologist 4

Brea Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brea Mortgages