Conduct of La Habra Heights Improvment Association draws concern.

Jun 18, 2009 Full story: www.lahabraheights.net 24

News story reprinted with permission from LaHabraHeights.net

La Habra Heights, CA - The Improvement Association held its annual general meeting on June 17th at City Hall. At past meetings, the Director seats up for election were voted on by members present, open to nominations from the floor. The 2009 meeting was markedly different to the 44 spectators in attendance.

No Election

Contrary to the advertisement in Heights Life, there was no election. The agenda had an "Election Results" item, not an election.

Answering a later question, apparently the actual "election" had taken place earlier in June, at an undisclosed time and place, amongst the existing directors and unknown other persons.

No Finacial Report Distributed

At past annual meetings, the Association Financial Summary was passed out to members attending, and it was a requirement of the by-laws to provide members with financial reports.

This June 2009 meeting saw Directors holding the report, the Treasurer giving a brief summary, and members in the audience left wondering what was going on. A member remarked that reports had been distributed to attendees in the past. He was told that a copy could be mailed.

By-Law Changes

When a member asked about by-law changes, the President answered that there had been recent changes. Members were not told what those changes were, or when they were voted in. For most of its existence, changes to Improvement Association By-Laws had to be advertised in Heights Life and approved by the members. At some point, changes in by-laws were made to allow Directors only to change them.

By-Laws Witheld From Members

When asked if a member could see or get a copy of the Association by-laws, the Board answered "No" , the by-laws were only for the Board.

It is now unknown, to those outside of the Board, how Directors are chosen, how long their terms are, responsibilities, and how elections are held.

This "Politburo" type of Improvement Association structure is contrary to the openness of the early days of the group which fought for the incorporation of the City.

The past 15 years has seen the Board become increasingly closed and secretive. Leaving members feeling they have been relegated to spectators who pay dues to watch the show.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lone Ranger

AOL

#1 Jun 19, 2009
Yeah so the Improvement Association has a secret agenda, so what are you going to do about it? We control the City unlike you pathetic losers.

Hi-yo Silver away
Tonto

Riverside, CA

#2 Jun 19, 2009
Giddy-up lone ranger!!!!!!
Dufus

Whittier, CA

#3 Jun 19, 2009
Guess members should think about the annual dues paid and for what. The Heights Life? The LHHIA has now set it's membership to no member input and everyone should stop their memberships and dues at once. The last meeting was a very sorry circumstance.
Heights Lover

Lakewood, CA

#4 Jun 20, 2009
Thank you La Habra Heights Improvement Association (LHHIA)for all your dedication and services to the people of La Habra Heights. The Heights Life, Music in the Park, Easter Egg Hunt, Haloween Haunt are all exemplary events presented for the community by this voluntary non profit community group. La Habra Heights is fortunate to have this private non government group providing these services.
Approximately forty residents attended the LHHIA annual meeting, thirty-eight appreciative residents and two resident gadfly troublemakers, Mr. Anonymous and Mr. Obnoxious.
Zorro

West Hollywood, CA

#5 Jun 21, 2009
No one takes away any credit from them for those good community events.

However, they are not what they appear to be. The LHHIA is a political action committee fronting as an Easter Bunny.

The Height Life, more obviously now, is a tool to forward their political agenda and support the 3 amigos in their redevelopment drive.

If they state their mission is to support redevelopment and urbanization, and still put on their events, they would be honest.

However, they get donations and support by claiming they support our rural lifestyle, all the while pushing for its demise.
I see all

Chatsworth, CA

#6 Jun 23, 2009
So, I attended the meeting expecting to vote for the Board, since I am a dues paying member. I was not advised of a seperate meeting to vote. This is begining to sound like a Good-Old-Boys&Girls club that the rest of us are no longer a part of. I must say I am getting a little tired of the LHHIA defending political positions certain people take. I will not be renewing until I see a financial statement and an improvement in content.
Heights Lover wrote:
Thank you La Habra Heights Improvement Association (LHHIA)for all your dedication and services to the people of La Habra Heights. The Heights Life, Music in the Park, Easter Egg Hunt, Haloween Haunt are all exemplary events presented for the community by this voluntary non profit community group. La Habra Heights is fortunate to have this private non government group providing these services.
Approximately forty residents attended the LHHIA annual meeting, thirty-eight appreciative residents and two resident gadfly troublemakers, Mr. Anonymous and Mr. Obnoxious.
I see all

Chatsworth, CA

#7 Jun 23, 2009
Lone Ranger wrote:
Yeah so the Improvement Association has a secret agenda, so what are you going to do about it? We control the City unlike you pathetic losers.
Hi-yo Silver away
Well LR, after all the lawsuits you and your Amigos are causing there won't be a city left to run and we will have the county back in here to run things. Then we can watch you kiss Don's ass to get things done...
Over the Top

AOL

#8 Jun 23, 2009
I see all wrote:
<quoted text>
Well LR, after all the lawsuits you and your Amigos are causing there won't be a city left to run and we will have the county back in here to run things. Then we can watch you kiss Don's ass to get things done...
Well Done!
LHHIA Member

West Hollywood, CA

#9 Sep 24, 2009
With the latest fraud stories about LHHIA, it looks like they are our own A.C.O.R.N. ....... Great : (
3 Amigos and 2 Burritos

West Hollywood, CA

#10 Oct 28, 2009
The 3 Amigos, Vipperman, Westerhoff, and Baroldi; are (ab)using their positions, campaigning for and supporting the 2 Burritos, Heintz and Cooke, who feed themselves well at the public trough.
Amigo Westerhoff has been seen on the streets arm-twisting to get votes for his two burritos.
Amigo Vipperman is funding part of Burrito Heintz's campaign, and staged the infomercial for them at the last Council meeting.
Co-Mayor's Vipperman sent an excusogram mailer saying its OK to feast on expensive food and drink with public money, and get paid to do so, because the Burritos are "volunteers" and "everybody else does it". Huh?
Amigo Baroldi puts up signs.
Will voters reject the Burritos feasting on, taxpayer paid for, Filer Mignon, Swordfish, and swilling vodka and scotch?
Will voters reject armtwisting and cronyism of the 3 Amigos?
Curious

West Hollywood, CA

#11 Oct 28, 2009
Burritos Brad and Jeff,

Is the food better, liquor smoother, and beds softer when your neighbors are paying for it?
just observing

United States

#12 Oct 29, 2009
Why is it that these people get reimbursed for alcohol and fine dining but the Volunteer Firefighters of LHHFD who are willing to risk their lives for your community get nothing? The FF's pay for their own gas, meals, uniforms, etc. Good thing those FF's arent in it for the pay or community support (of which their seems to be neither).
Resident

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Oct 29, 2009
just observing wrote:
Why is it that these people get reimbursed for alcohol and fine dining but the Volunteer Firefighters of LHHFD who are willing to risk their lives for your community get nothing? The FF's pay for their own gas, meals, uniforms, etc. Good thing those FF's arent in it for the pay or community support (of which their seems to be neither).
Excellent point. The answer is the LHHFD reports to the City and the Water District does not. The Water District is it's own entity, this is why this election is important.
yessirreeee

AOL

#14 Oct 29, 2009
just observing wrote:
Very good point!
No Burrito Combo

Glendale, CA

#15 Oct 29, 2009
3 Amigos and 2 Burritos wrote:
Will voters reject the Burritos feasting on, taxpayer paid for, Filer Mignon, Swordfish, and swilling vodka and scotch?
Will voters reject armtwisting and cronyism of the 3 Amigos?
Not everyone is ordering the Brad and Jeff Burrito combo. Even though Jean Good and the Westside Manipulators are bullying to force it down voters' throats.

Picture: http://www.electgeorgeedwards.com/photogaller...
LHH Resident

West Hollywood, CA

#16 Oct 29, 2009
just observing wrote:
In the Oct 21 Whittier Daily News Article, this was covered:

"Board members now are paid $100 per day of service up to three times a month. Edwards said that violates the spirit of La Habra Heights volunteerism.

"In La Habra Heights they don't pay the City Council; they don't pay the Planning Commission," Edwards said. "They shouldn't pay the water board.

Cooke and Heintz said the $100 stipend has been in place since 1980 and never increased.

"If you look at the districts all around us, the stipend we get is the lowest," Heintz said.

Cooke said there's nothing wrong with board members getting paid.

"You would not imagine the amount of hours everyone puts in," he said. "The stipend doesn't come near anything for the time.""

The Board members receive $100 for their 1 hour board meetings. They also get the $100 if they attend a conference, or even sitting at a City Council meeting.

It is indeed hard work trying to find new ways to sponge off the ratepayers. "Let's see, I can take my wife for a weekend getaway at a fine hotel, if I can work some Water District "business" in. Hmmm, I think the hotel water looks good. Water business done."

Cheapskates Heintz and McVicar don't even want to pay for gas, and put in to be reimbursed for a 12 mile trip to Diamond Bar. Proably cost more in staff time to process their $10 check.

The Burritos Heintz and Cooke don't want the gravy train to end. That is why they are putting up such a fight, and the 3 Amigos are pounding the pavement for them.

We can be thankful the firefighters aren't featherbedding, hack slackers.
Resident

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Oct 29, 2009
No Burrito Combo wrote:
<quoted text>
Not everyone is ordering the Brad and Jeff Burrito combo. Even though Jean Good and the Westside Manipulators are bullying to force it down voters' throats.
Picture: http://www.electgeorgeedwards.com/photogaller...
I think they should be refered to as Nachos, like Nacho candidate.
must be nice

Desert Hot Springs, CA

#18 Oct 30, 2009
I'm a Volunteer FF for LHHFD and get up at 4am the day of my shift to drive 45 miles one way to the 'station'. That's a 90 mile round trip out of my own pocket to serve YOUR city. Then I get to pay for my own meals and an additional amount for 'station dues' that cover stuff like toiletries and food condiments (yes, we pay for all that stuff ourselves). If you don't believe me, feel free to stop by the 'station' any day of the week and ask to see where we keep the station dues box. Every shift puts their money in an envelope and puts it in a box so we can pay for everything. While you're there, be sure to take a look at the condition of trailer and sleeping dorms. Be sure to notice the patched up floors throughout the 'station'. Its not hard to notice where they have been repaired. The carpet obviously had to be taken out to replace the floor boards but then there wasnt money to replace the removed carpet. Uncarpeted pathed up floors it is! I apologize for venting though since it is my own choice to be a Volunteer FF at LHHFD. I just wish that people would realize money could be spent on much better things than a $10 mileage reimbursment for driving to eat a steak dinner on community dollars!
yessirreeee

AOL

#19 Oct 31, 2009
must be nice wrote:
I'm a Volunteer FF for LHHFD and get up at 4am the day of my shift to drive 45 miles one way to the 'station'. That's a 90 mile round trip out of my own pocket to serve YOUR city. Then I get to pay for my own meals and an additional amount for 'station dues' that cover stuff like toiletries and food condiments (yes, we pay for all that stuff ourselves). If you don't believe me, feel free to stop by the 'station' any day of the week and ask to see where we keep the station dues box. Every shift puts their money in an envelope and puts it in a box so we can pay for everything. While you're there, be sure to take a look at the condition of trailer and sleeping dorms. Be sure to notice the patched up floors throughout the 'station'. Its not hard to notice where they have been repaired. The carpet obviously had to be taken out to replace the floor boards but then there wasnt money to replace the removed carpet. Uncarpeted pathed up floors it is! I apologize for venting though since it is my own choice to be a Volunteer FF at LHHFD. I just wish that people would realize money could be spent on much better things than a $10 mileage reimbursment for driving to eat a steak dinner on community dollars!
Ask our Mayor why that is so that YOU must live that way. He supports the Water Board Members getting paid for a volunteer job, supports their spirits and drinks and filet mignon. He campaigned to support YOU guys and build you decent quarters...where is it? He deceived YOU and the VOTER's...Anyone who votes for his choice on the Water Board does not care about the fire fighters dilema or the waste and abuse. More of the same unless a CHANGE TAKES PLACE!
Got the another nasty endorsement from Vipperman lieing about one of the candidates and their position. Got something from LHH.net too; thank god their is "proof" in some messages being relayed.
NOT SO STUPID

United States

#20 Nov 1, 2009
Hello, just a quick observation to share with the people of the Highlands. Why would any voter be swayed into electing two water board members that are on the government take and feast like pigs at public expense just because they are endorsed by Mayor Howard Vipperman? Mayor Vippeman, who publicly refers to La Habra Heights residents as "stupid people" at City Council Meetings and his crazy nut job of a wife Karen, that goes around calling residents "…terrorist" pretty much convinced me to only vote for George Edwards. And yes you can only vote for one person.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 19 min Davis 4,980
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 42 min anonymous 27,342
New audio paints different picture of Daniele W... 3 hr Jackie 1
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 5 hr scurall 5,066
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 5 hr pies 15,993
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 5 hr ploppers 200,936
1 dead, 1 injured in El Monte shooting 11 hr Big boy 2
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Orange County was issued at September 16 at 6:42AM PDT

•••

Brea News Video

•••
•••

Brea Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Brea People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE