It's Politics: La Habra Heights council members endorse two challengers

Feb 22, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Whittier Daily News

Maybe, it's in the case of an endorsement letter from outgoing Mayor Stan Carroll and Councilman Carl Westerhoff mailed in support of challengers Michael Higgins and Kyle Miller.

Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Mar 6, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Heights Resident

La Habra, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Was the letter mailed before or after the discovery of the Kyle Miller mailboxes problem? If before, do they want to rethink the endorsement? If after, I am glad these 2 are leaving the council. Talk about bad decision making skills
Let Down

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Heights Resident wrote:
Was the letter mailed before or after the discovery of the Kyle Miller mailboxes problem? If before, do they want to rethink the endorsement? If after, I am glad these 2 are leaving the council. Talk about bad decision making skills
I am saddened that two men who advocate our City be fiscally conservative would endorse a candidate who is in bankruptcy and supports new assessments on property owners. Very sad.
Return to Sender

La Habra, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

The Improvement Association gang wants Kyle Miller because he is their puppet. Does whatever he is told.

Just before he resigned, Howard Vipperman went out into the audience during a council meeting, tapped Miller on the shoulder, then started talking with him.
Vipperman returned to his seat and called Miller up to the podium.
Miller reinforced a point Vipperman was making about the road tax.

His running mate, Higgins also follows IA direction as he is their employee.
Emails from IA tools direct followers who to vote for.

Miller, Higgins & Jeng >>>>> return to sender
Concerned citizen

South Pasadena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Does George Edwardz really have to ask "why" people don't want him elected? If he is that clueless, he's not qualified to run in the first place.
George started up Fire Watch and it was huge. After people got a good taste of the real George the attendance dropped off to almost zero. George is a two-faced Dennis the Menace

Since: Jun 10

La Habra Heights

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Concerned citizen wrote:
...George started up Fire Watch and it was huge (still is). After people got a good taste of the real George the attendance dropped off to almost zero. George is a two-faced Dennis the Menace
That’s not accurate; our membership continues to grow and it's operations supported by steadfast monetary contributions from the community. If indeed our City is headed for insolvency. The Fire Watch’s reserve might soon exceed the City’s!

Kyle, can you weigh in on this?

EOM
Confused in LHH

La Habra, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Return to Sender wrote:
The Improvement Association gang wants Kyle Miller because he is their puppet. Does whatever he is told.
Just before he resigned, Howard Vipperman went out into the audience during a council meeting, tapped Miller on the shoulder, then started talking with him.
Vipperman returned to his seat and called Miller up to the podium.
Miller reinforced a point Vipperman was making about the road tax.
His running mate, Higgins also follows IA direction as he is their employee.
Emails from IA tools direct followers who to vote for.
Miller, Higgins & Jeng >>>>> return to sender
I am more troubled by Miller's bankruptcy and mailbox problems because apparently this guy has judgment issues. He can't watch his own money and can't even tell the difference between what's right or wrong, so is his role on the city council going to be spending our city's money till we are bankrupt like him and make bad decisions like opening residents' mailboxes? If he's the best Carl and Stan can find to replace them, we are on our way to dis incorporation.

Higgins looks confused. The guy did a crap job at the forum. Is he just too old for this job? I didn't appreciate the arrogance he had when talking about Measure A like we should just automatically pass it. If that's the arrogance he has, wait till he gets elected.

Jeng looks okay. I like his performance at the forum especially how he backed his support of renovation using legal reasons. He looks neutral and smart enough that I am okay with him.

Bergman is experienced and should be good to have back.

Edwards is good at exposing the crap that goes on in the city, but can he work well with others to make our city better? I can't tell but from all the past things he did at council meetings, I don't know.
Longtime LHH Resident

La Habra, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

I've seen a lot living in the heights. But this constant negativity truly saddens me. I hope the people here read this. I contacted Mr. Miller, it's easy to do, and he told me this about the " mailbox issue". To expedite his candidate information to residents who had requested vote by mail applications he personally delivered them to the few residents rather than wait a few days for the mail. Some residents had gates so he dropped the info in the mail box for them. That's it, end of story. No scandal.

So I say to candidates please, please, please focus on your ideas to better our city. Focus on yourself. Particularly Mr. Edwards who took the time to check in but said absolutely nothing about his ideas to help the city. Please Mr. Edwards focus on yourself and give me some good ideas for the city and why I should vote for you.

BTW watch the last council meeting on the city website to hear Mr. Miller talk. He's the first one to speak. Actually watch the candidates forum while you're on there
Return to Sender

La Habra, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Longtime LHH Resident wrote:
I've seen a lot living in the heights. But this constant negativity truly saddens me. I hope the people here read this. I contacted Mr. Miller, it's easy to do, and he told me this about the " mailbox issue". To expedite his candidate information to residents who had requested vote by mail applications he personally delivered them to the few residents rather than wait a few days for the mail. Some residents had gates so he dropped the info in the mail box for them. That's it, end of story. No scandal.
So I say to candidates please, please, please focus on your ideas to better our city. Focus on yourself. Particularly Mr. Edwards who took the time to check in but said absolutely nothing about his ideas to help the city. Please Mr. Edwards focus on yourself and give me some good ideas for the city and why I should vote for you.
BTW watch the last council meeting on the city website to hear Mr. Miller talk. He's the first one to speak. Actually watch the candidates forum while you're on there
Good spin attempt, but contrary to facts.

Residents who reported receiving Miller's mail did not ask Kyle Miller for his information and were offended at his accessing their mailboxes.

And.......... none of them have gates!

What say you now Mr. Miller?
Bake Sale for Kyles Bail

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Return to Sender wrote:
<quoted text>
Good spin attempt, but contrary to facts.
Residents who reported receiving Miller's mail did not ask Kyle Miller for his information and were offended at his accessing their mailboxes.
And.......... none of them have gates!
What say you now Mr. Miller?
It took Mr. Miller months to admit his bankruptcy. Now, he wants to come clean with tampering of mailboxes, why? He was caught in the act. Let me add the letters were addressed to voters who did not request information from Mr. Miller.

Tampering with mailboxes is a federal crime. I am sure Miller knows his way around the Federal Court system.
Heights Resident

La Habra, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Bake Sale for Kyles Bail wrote:
<quoted text>
It took Mr. Miller months to admit his bankruptcy. Now, he wants to come clean with tampering of mailboxes, why? He was caught in the act. Let me add the letters were addressed to voters who did not request information from Mr. Miller.
Tampering with mailboxes is a federal crime. I am sure Miller knows his way around the Federal Court system.
I guess Mr. Miller is a born politician. Look at the skills he possess. Filing a bankruptcy to avoid his debts, including his luxurious life style at Hacienda Golf Club, driving all over town with his Mercedez S Class with "Miller for City Council" sticker on back of his car window and then committing a federal mailbox crime and spins his way out of it by saying there were gates and he had to put it in the mailboxes. I guess he is the perfect politician. No wonder Stan and Carl endorsed him and IA supports him. They all recognized talent when they saw one. He fits right in with other politicians.

Mr. Miller, your personal character is an issue in this election rather you believe it or not. Who you are and how you act reflect all of us in our community if you are elected.

At this point, I am for any of the four candidates just not Miller.
East Heights Guy

La Habra, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

How come no one is talking about the George Edwards Bankruptcy? It was a business bankruptcy and came up during the last lhh election he was in. I'm pretty sure its connected to his name changes. I don't remember any more details but I can look into again if you guys want me to.
want to know

La Habra, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

East Heights Guy wrote:
How come no one is talking about the George Edwards Bankruptcy? It was a business bankruptcy and came up during the last lhh election he was in. I'm pretty sure its connected to his name changes. I don't remember any more details but I can look into again if you guys want me to.
Sure. We want to know.

Kind of surprising the LHHIA gang hasn't already plastered the world with it if it is true, and was known 4 years ago.

Please include specifics, not supposition, as the reports of Miller's bankruptcy included links to the actual bankruptcy documents, and his mail drops include pictures of what he dropped in the mailboxes.
George Edwards

Whittier, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

East Heights Guy wrote:

Your statement is untrue and merit less.

EOM
Sandy

Brea, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Well, the word is Edwards went bankrupt in the past too. A PI reported that after doing an investigation on him, but you don't see any of the other trashing him with that publicly because they have too much class. Along with some other things about him that I won't mention at this time. Hey did you see where Whittier Daily News endorsed Bergman, Higgins and Jeng for City Council. This time they picked men who aren't the town clowns. Good for them.
Sandy

Brea, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Concerned Citizen. You are right. He was one of the starters of Fire Watch. Where he says the membership is high, the truth is people haven't officially dropped out, they just quit going to meetings and stay away from him. He is really an awful person. He is on the Board of Directors who can't even have a meeting because they can't be in the same room as George.
Say no to Karen

Whittier, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Sandy wrote:
Well, the word is Edwards went bankrupt in the past too. A PI reported that after doing an investigation on him, but you don't see any of the other trashing him with that publicly because they have too much class. Along with some other things about him that I won't mention at this time. Hey did you see where Whittier Daily News endorsed Bergman, Higgins and Jeng for City Council. This time they picked men who aren't the town clowns. Good for them.
Karen, I am sure an 'Edwards'somewhere in the world and your head went bankrupt. Thankfully your Magnum PI friend has to much class because frankly, we have had enough of your hate. Stay in Brea!
Alias Vipperman

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Karen Vipperman complains about George changing his name while she has four different names on the same business. Morrison Residential Services shows Karen Vipperman, Schiro, Harten, and Marta. I imagine some are maiden and previous marriage. But are they necessary to run a business now? Plus the agent for her businesses is listed as Joshua Arce, a Rancho Cucamonga resident whose name is on the hit piece just mailed out. So if class is the reason they don't show their evidence, i think that has been absent for a long time.

The previous hit piece was from 1717 Chota Road and was endorsed by the Vipperman's, Layne Baroldi, Jean Good Lietzau and other classless individuals who also tried to ruin Roy Francis and Judy Francis-Hathaway's reputations in the City Council and Water Board elections. So to put these posts about a bankruptcy that didn't occur comes from some morally bankrupt people. Yet they support a candidate who actually did go bankrupt.
Vipperman Connection

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

If you Google Howard Vipperman and Arce there is also a connection to the Eastside Church in Fullerton where Vipperman says he was a Deacon. Check the Arce Family and Howatd Vipperman on a page called Kenya 2012. So Joshua Arce knows Howard Vipperman from their attendance at the same church. Joshua Arce was seen on YouTube threatening George Edwards at City Hall two years ago. In the same video are the "henchman" Howard hired from VIP Rubber to enforce the meeting. Howard is seen in the shot directing them. Arce is seen in the video calling Edwards a piece of s**t. So how does Arce have anything to do with La Habra Heights? Only when the Vippermans need some dirty work done.
Mr Arce a nonResident

Matthews, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

The Vippermans moved out of La Habra Heights, can they please take their poison somewhere else.

Everyone knows the Mr. Arce's flyer is actually the Vippermans. What an infantile flyer. I looked up the Vipperman-Arce link connection, it is true. It looks like they have a personal vendetta against Mr. Edwards. It appears Mr. Arce's and the Vippermans hit flyers are back-firing because everyone I talk too shares the same thoughts and have voted and voting for new blood in City Council, Mr. Edwards. I heard Mr. Edwards has been the only candidate that regularly attends City Council meetings.
I decided to watch past City Council meetings from last year and I only saw Mr. Edwards speaking, and he spoke intelligently. He brought up great questions and points. No other candidates ever spoke, did they bother to attend?

Mr. Arce does not live in La Habra Heights, the Vippermans moved out of La Habra Heights, can they please leave us alone in La Habra Heights. People are talking about how sick it is, the Vippermans will not leave Mr. Edwards alone. Maybe Mr. Edwards knows deep secrets about the Vippermans?

Why in the world would the Vippermans and Mr. Arce both non-residents continue attacking a person who tells the truth? They word is, they are scared. It is just plain dirty politics and its sickening. I am voting for Mr. Edwards on Tuesday.
Highlander

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Sandy wrote:
Concerned Citizen. You are right. He was one of the starters of Fire Watch. Where he says the membership is high, the truth is people haven't officially dropped out, they just quit going to meetings and stay away from him. He is really an awful person. He is on the Board of Directors who can't even have a meeting because they can't be in the same room as George.
Fire Watch is largely a radio communications group, not a go-to-meeting group. People can (and do) participate by radio without having to physically attend meetings.

The proportion of the members of Fire Watch who attend Fire Watch meetings is much greater than the proportion of the members of the Improvement Association who attend Improvement Association meetings. I wouldn’t even be surprised if more people attend Fire Watch meetings than Improvement Association meetings -- even though the IA claims a much larger membership and has a lot more money. I counted 25 people at the last Fire Watch meeting. How many people attend Improvement Association meetings? Based on the video of the IA meeting in which George was physically assaulted, it didn’t seem that more than 20-25 people were at that IA meeting (even counting George and Steve Blagdon). If the IA would release their official attendance figures and total membership figures, I would be glad to modify my estimate.

That said, I see no reason to denigrate either group. Both do good work, and this community needs all the volunteer help it can get.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Brea News Video

•••
•••

Brea Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Brea People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Brea News, Events & Info