Montebello's redevelopment loan draws...

Montebello's redevelopment loan draws ire from critics

There are 105 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from Oct 3, 2010, titled Montebello's redevelopment loan draws ire from critics. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

As Montebello struggles to balance its budget, the city has turned to a big, if somewhat obscure, source of credit - its own redevelopment agency.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
south montebello resident

Montebello, CA

#1 Oct 4, 2010
"I don't feel it's legal," said Assemblyman Chris Norby, R-Brea.

Montebello's justification for using the money was "unheard of," Pasadena-based attorney Chris Sutton said.

These people obviously have not seen our great council and it's leader Billy Molinari in action the past 9 months. LOL!
Fed Up

San Pedro, CA

#2 Oct 4, 2010
Bill is not the leader. There are no leaders up there. Only dummies who dont know how to run the city. One of them did not vote to borrow the money. SOmeone needs to tell it that if there is no money to pay the bills there will be no city. figure it out.
Living in South Rio Linda

Norwalk, CA

#3 Oct 4, 2010
Bell was only the most egregious example of the culture of corruption that has engulfed local government in eastern Los Angeles County. Both Cooley and Brown have been tardy in attending to their duties.
Trash Talk

United States

#4 Oct 4, 2010
The redevelopment agency may choose to invest its surplus funds where it chooses irrespective of where the borrower spends the funds.
The CRA is not paying the City's bills- the City is with borrowed money.
Previously the City borrowed money from banks prior to receiving tax payments from the State.
However recall that under the previous regeime the City's credit rating tanked.

Montebello, CA

#5 Oct 4, 2010
Trash Talk wrote:
The redevelopment agency may choose to invest its surplus funds where it chooses irrespective of where the borrower spends the funds.
The CRA is not paying the City's bills- the City is with borrowed money.
Previously the City borrowed money from banks prior to receiving tax payments from the State.
However recall that under the previous regeime the City's credit rating tanked.

Talk about spin. Man, I'm getting dizzy! Any way you look at it, the city is paying its bills with CRA money.

You can put whipped cream on a pile of dog crap, but it's still dog crap TT. Just like your post. LOL!!!

Spin it and rationalize it all you want, but the state clearly says you cannot use CRA funds to pay operating cost to the city, and that is exactly what the city is doing!
Pissed Off Taxpayer

San Dimas, CA

#6 Oct 4, 2010
Abolish all redevelopment agencies.
Trash Talk

Irvine, CA

#7 Oct 4, 2010
That's what lawyers do SMR- get over it
once the City has "borrowed" the money legally it is no longer the CRA's money and the City can do what it wants with it. They are no longer CRA funds at that point.
Are you in favor of the City not paying it's bills and employees?
The big question is:

Now how is the City going to pay it back and the $20,000,000 the Vasquez administration overspent?

pick some
Massive layoffs?
Big Pay cuts?
Bankruptcy?
Raise Taxes?
Go County with public safety?
Count on Jerry Brown and the Democrats in California?
Obama and the Democrats in Washington?
Montebello Resident

Brea, CA

#8 Oct 4, 2010
Trash Talk wrote:
Now how is the City going to pay it back and the $20,000,000 the Vasquez administration overspent?
Exactly what did the vasquez administration overspend 20 million dollars on? A plaque? Cookies? Those flags along montebello blvd? A christmas Tree?
It's funny but I thought the CA actually spends the money.
Disgusted

Long Beach, CA

#9 Oct 4, 2010
When is someone going to blow the front off of all of the wrong doings the city is involved in. Montebello is the next city that we are going to see in the news. And we thought Bell was bad, I could just imagine how Montebello is going to look.
theolona ranger

United States

#10 Oct 4, 2010
Mostly spent on salaries, pay, wages, overtime.
Revenue plunged in 2007 and Rosie and her gangs just could not bring themselves to make the cuts necessary.
The lack of a little cost cutting then now requires hard cuts.
Would you trust Robert, Kathy, Rosie, Nick, John, Maria, SMR et. all to manage your family finances?
Better hide those credit cards and your piggy bank.
Geez

Downey, CA

#11 Oct 4, 2010
Montebello has been dying from cancer for the last 25 years...his name is Bill Molinari.
theolona ranger

Irvine, CA

#12 Oct 4, 2010
Disgusted
Hopefully the City's new outside auditor will
"blow the front off of all of the wrong doings the city is involved in. "

"Montebello is the next city that we are going to see in the news."

Maybe not the next but stay tuned
Demand the City hire a P.I and Special Prosecutor that can take the findings to the Grand Jury and/or DA or AG
mtb877

Orange, CA

#13 Oct 4, 2010
Trash Talk wrote:
That's what lawyers do SMR- get over it
once the City has "borrowed" the money legally it is no longer the CRA's money and the City can do what it wants with it. They are no longer CRA funds at that point.
Are you in favor of the City not paying it's bills and employees?
The big question is:
pick some
Massive layoffs?
Big Pay cuts?
Bankruptcy?
Raise Taxes?
Go County with public safety?
Count on Jerry Brown and the Democrats in California?
Obama and the Democrats in Washington?
Where did you learn about finance, Trash Talk? According to your logic, once I borrow money from a bank I never need pay it back because it's no longer belongs to the bank once I have it in my bank account!. The entire council would find themselves indicted and in jail if they followed your advice. And it's a clear conflict for the City and the redevelopment agency to be represented by the same attorney, namely Arnold Alvarez-Glasman. Finally, would you kindly provide a breakdown of the $20,000,000 the Vasquez administration overspent? Thank you.
mtb877

Orange, CA

#14 Oct 4, 2010
Geez wrote:
Montebello has been dying from cancer for the last 25 years...his name is Bill Molinari.
Absolutely 100% correct.
mtb877

Orange, CA

#15 Oct 4, 2010
theolona ranger wrote:
Mostly spent on salaries, pay, wages, overtime.
Revenue plunged in 2007 and Rosie and her gangs just could not bring themselves to make the cuts necessary.
The lack of a little cost cutting then now requires hard cuts.
Would you trust Robert, Kathy, Rosie, Nick, John, Maria, SMR et. all to manage your family finances?
Better hide those credit cards and your piggy bank.
I don't know what to do with you, Loner. Same old broad generalizations. I have a question for you, Loner. You never put any of the blame at the door of the City Administrator (Richard Torres, Randy Narramore) or the City Attorney (Arnold Alvarez-Glasman) and they really run the city, let's be honest. They recommend and draw up the contracts and they work on three councilmenbers to vote for what they want. It's NOT the other way round. Of course, when things go wrong, they then blame the council and say they were following instructions. But if the Bell scandal tells us anything, it is that the city manager is the one with the ideas and plans - and most council members are just not informed enough to argue with them. The $40,000,000 plus Attina giveaway wasn't done when Rosie Vasquez, Robert Urteaga or John or Maria were around - but Richard Torres and Arnold Alvarez-Glasman and Bill Molinari were. But no complaints from you, Loner?
Jokes

United States

#16 Oct 4, 2010
Monte(BELL)o has always had BELL in it's name?

Montebello, CA

#17 Oct 4, 2010
mtb877 wrote:
<quoted text> I have a question for you, Loner. You never put The $40,000,000 plus Attina giveaway wasn't done when Rosie Vasquez, Robert Urteaga or John or Maria were around - but Richard Torres and Arnold Alvarez-Glasman and Bill Molinari were. But no complaints from you, Loner?
Ahh, VERY god point mtb877. I forgot about that one.

Remember, Loner is one-dimensional... Whatever Bill does, is always right.

Montebello, CA

#18 Oct 4, 2010
mtb877 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what to do with you, Loner. Same old broad generalizations. I have a question for you, Loner. You never put any of the blame at the door of the City Administrator (Richard Torres, Randy Narramore) or the City Attorney (Arnold Alvarez-Glasman) and they really run the city, let's be honest. They recommend and draw up the contracts and they work on three councilmenbers to vote for what they want. It's NOT the other way round. Of course, when things go wrong, they then blame the council and say they were following instructions. But if the Bell scandal tells us anything, it is that the city manager is the one with the ideas and plans - and most council members are just not informed enough to argue with them.
You're right, Bell is THEE perfect example of who really runs the city. Loner seems to forget that most council members have fulltime jobs and other responsibilities. Much different from the 60+ hours a CA probably puts in a week at city hall. The council depends and trust that the information and advice that both the CA and City attorney gives to them is correct.

Also, you're right about working with at least 3 council members at a time. If anyone remembers, Bill and Arnold HATED each other when Bill was in the minority, but after the elections, Arnold sure did snuggle up to Bill in a hurry. Why you may ask? One word...MONEY! City Attorneys male A LOT of money.
Theolona ranger

Irvine, CA

#19 Oct 5, 2010
Enough of theis pass the buck "who really runs the City" crap.
Look it up in your Funk'n WagnallisThe City Administrator is an EMPLOYEE
The City Attorney is an independent contraction which- under the Brown Act- functions as an employee.
The Council is legally responsible NOT the Hierd Help.
The voters made an informed choice in their change of council majority.
Just to late to save the reserves and prevent a pattern of borrowing.

It's like SMR having his business loose money, exhausting his savings then defaulting on his Mortgage, then Maxing out his credit cards to pay his rent.
Now borrowed to the hilt, out of cash and credit what does he do?
Mtb 90640

Montebello, CA

#21 Oct 5, 2010
south montebello resident wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right, Bell is THEE perfect example of who really runs the city. Loner seems to forget that most council members have fulltime jobs and other responsibilities. Much different from the 60+ hours a CA probably puts in a week at city hall. The council depends and trust that the information and advice that both the CA and City attorney gives to them is correct.
Also, you're right about working with at least 3 council members at a time. If anyone remembers, Bill and Arnold HATED each other when Bill was in the minority, but after the elections, Arnold sure did snuggle up to Bill in a hurry. Why you may ask? One word...MONEY! City Attorneys male A LOT of money.
You are 100% right smr. The CA does run the city. Too bad he wasn't upfront with entire council.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 1 hr lmsa dad 6,613
ssk gangsters (Jan '13) 1 hr rainbow man 75
News Gang Injunction Issued In Crack Down On Anaheim... (Mar '08) 1 hr AHM Homie 490
flip or flop 3 hr hot 2
Breakfast at KuckDonald's With Rosie 6 hr Smiley Trewla 1
News Gang members arrested in Rosemead motel double ... (Apr '09) 17 hr Tu Padre 165
News Honk: Are those 'Children at Play' signs legal? (Feb '11) May '16 citizen 104

Brea Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brea Mortgages