njb basketball sucks

Posted in the Brea Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LM PARENT

Pomona, CA

#1 Jan 10, 2012
Anyone else feeling this? my sons coach sucks, nothing like last year when he was on a team with a coach that really cared. plus it sucks that they don't get gym time anymore for practice..what happened this year?
LMHS

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Jan 10, 2012
quit being a bitch and start coaching yourself
LM Parent

Whittier, CA

#3 Jan 25, 2012
Seriously though. I think the league has had some challenges this year that revealed the lack of contingency plans. Haven't been real impressed. Hope its been a learning experience and they plan better for next season.
LM Gym

Simi Valley, CA

#4 Jan 26, 2012
For 1/3rd the cost you could have had the same coaching at the LM gym. Maybe better!

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#5 Jan 27, 2012
I have to agree that this whole season has been a joke starting with president and coming down to the coach. We still dont have full schedules, playing games at the city which is not even full court, fee's went up because Biola was increasing thier gym time which the president told us which is crap since 1) we dont have any games there and 2) Biola NEVER charged to use the gym ( know that to be a fact ).

Dont even get me started on the coach, best thing he has done is basically tell one of the nagging parents to shut it (( constant nagging since the 1st practice ))
LM Gym

Simi Valley, CA

#6 Jan 27, 2012
Don't forget about the ref's. I've seen less contact in a football game and nothing is called. I am all for a physical game but not with flying leaps on players backs.

Location hidden

#7 Jan 27, 2012
LM Gym wrote:
Don't forget about the ref's. I've seen less contact in a football game and nothing is called. I am all for a physical game but not with flying leaps on players backs.
that is also correct. but there are also some teams that if you look at them they blow the whistle.

Lets not forget the new stupid rules, if you are missing players the other team and choose who to sit out.
LM PARENT

Pomona, CA

#8 Jan 27, 2012
question do you know if the tournaments on 2-19 & 2-26 are payed by the league or do the families pay, and is it optional to play in it?
LM parent that cares

Pomona, CA

#9 Jan 27, 2012
Yeah they better do something or else a lot of kids will not return..might as well stay in rec, it's a lot cheaper and the kids get indoor gym practice.

Location hidden

#10 Jan 27, 2012
LM PARENT wrote:
question do you know if the tournaments on 2-19 & 2-26 are payed by the league or do the families pay, and is it optional to play in it?
it depends if the team gets a sponser and I believe last year we paid a portion for the fees ( honestly don't remember )
LM OLD FART

Granada Hills, CA

#11 Jan 31, 2012
Really - ya'll should run the thing yourselves! I'm sure you would all be much better volunteers than those sons of bitches that give their time so there is a league to play in. I'm sure none of you coached because there were no opportunities for you to do so. All filled up at that Inn - right? None of the leagues city or NJB have enough gym time for teams to play thier game - let alone practice in a gym. Someone steals the $10k lighting controls at LMHS (twice) and these dumb asses dont have a contigency plan - unbelievable! Look forward to when one of you takes time to provide an opportunity for LM kids, so I can sign mine up and critize you.

Location hidden

#12 Feb 1, 2012
props to the people that help BUT don't lie to us about the reason of raising the costs and lose out on Biola courts because you dropped the ball and are head headed.
Always Greener

Laurel, MD

#13 Feb 15, 2012
NJB is a competitive league...unlike the community gym. If your child is serious about basketball, I would stay at NJB and step up and coach next year. These are volunteers, not paid positions but the level of play is still much greater then community gym. My son played there one year..when they flip a coin instead of a jump ball to see who gets the ball..that was enough for me.
shut up

La Mirada, CA

#14 Feb 15, 2012
La Mirada Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
that is also correct. but there are also some teams that if you look at them they blow the whistle.
Lets not forget the new stupid rules, if you are missing players the other team and choose who to sit out.
thats been an njb rule for 15 or more years, moron. and biola has always charged to use the gym, why would they risk that liability for no reason? BIOLA is the court that is not the right size, its college size, so shut up and find something else to blame your kids unsuccessful sports career on
Lm Res

La Mirada, CA

#15 Feb 15, 2012
Always Greener wrote:
NJB is a competitive league...unlike the community gym. If your child is serious about basketball, I would stay at NJB and step up and coach next year. These are volunteers, not paid positions but the level of play is still much greater then community gym. My son played there one year..when they flip a coin instead of a jump ball to see who gets the ball..that was enough for me.
exactly!

Location hidden

#16 Feb 16, 2012
shut up wrote:
<quoted text>
thats been an njb rule for 15 or more years, moron. and biola has always charged to use the gym, why would they risk that liability for no reason? BIOLA is the court that is not the right size, its college size, so shut up and find something else to blame your kids unsuccessful sports career on
I know for a fact from the office that handles that at Biola and they informed a number of people that they do not charge. we sign off on liabilty. There is no need to call names like a damn kid. I have been involved with NJB for many years with relatives and my kids playing there. It is a great league just this year it has been terrible. You can ask anybody who has somebody playing this year.
LM res

La Mirada, CA

#17 Feb 21, 2012
It's our first year with NJB after hearing so many great things about it from others in seasons past. Just can't say that we were all that impressed. I think the board needs to think through a lot of things before the 2012-13 season starts. For one... if you don't have enough coaches for the number of kids in a division, don't hold try-outs yet. If you can't get all the coaches together for team formation / draft day - don't do it. It's unfair that those who were present got the cream of the crop and the leftovers were placed on teams that still needed managers.

Then, let me ask the Board of Directors is they really don't get paid. How many of them actually paid for practice locations in a gym? One team, managed by a Board member practiced at the church in Whittier all season and he apparently paid for it out of the generosity of his pocket? Makes me wonder if he didn't get reimbursed for it or something. When the other teams who don't have wealthy coaches or, a board member with connections as a coach are forced to find a park or, open court at Los Coyotes under the dim lights, weather conditions and school closures of the blacktop - it sucks! It was apparent who had the real gym time for practice. Unfair advantage that just doesn't sit well with the teams that are trying to compete.

Just something to think about for the Board. They shouldn't do things to cause others to view them as special and set apart.
Long Time NJB fan

La Mirada, CA

#18 Feb 21, 2012
I have not coached in NJB for many years, but when I did we took up a collection and paid for gym time. Seems to me if it was that important to you, then YOU should have approached the coach and asked him what YOU could do to help. I often paid for gym time "out of my own pocket." The coach who got the gym time,did you ask him how he paid for it or just because he was a board member you assumed he got special favors or "Makes me wonder if he didn't get reimbursed for it or something." Wow, the guy puts in extra time as a coach and a board member and you question his ethics because he organized indoor practices. Have YOU went to a board meeting? They are open and have records and financial reports YOU can look at. Did you do that? Have YOU offered to help coach? Become the treasurer? Team Rep? Team parent? If more people stepped up and helped out rather than blame those who do the world would be a much better place. If you are not part of the solution you may be the problem!
LM Gym

Simi Valley, CA

#19 Feb 22, 2012
NJB is a recreation basketball program like other sports programs in the area. Calling it competitve doesn't make it any different that softball, baseball or football. The All-Net teams are competitive parts of this recreational program. The cost of the program is what keeps enrollment down. I understand that the cost charged is what it takes to run the program but the fact is that at $60.00 a season the gym is a better value for most players. Having problems finding good volunteer coaches to replace the ones that focus on thier son only should be a priority and those coaches should not be able to coach or assist as it damages not just the other players but restricts the advancement of thier son. But it comes down to finding coaches. Not an easy task. Good luck next season as some will leave and others will come to the league but remove those who hurt in future enrollment. There are only a handful of coaches in each age group and when half the players end up on daddyball teams it doesn't help.
Not a fan of City Coaches

La Mirada, CA

#21 Feb 23, 2012
LM Gym wrote:
NJB is a recreation basketball program like other sports programs in the area. Calling it competitve doesn't make it any different that softball, baseball or football. The All-Net teams are competitive parts of this recreational program. The cost of the program is what keeps enrollment down. I understand that the cost charged is what it takes to run the program but the fact is that at $60.00 a season the gym is a better value for most players. Having problems finding good volunteer coaches to replace the ones that focus on thier son only should be a priority and those coaches should not be able to coach or assist as it damages not just the other players but restricts the advancement of thier son. But it comes down to finding coaches. Not an easy task. Good luck next season as some will leave and others will come to the league but remove those who hurt in future enrollment. There are only a handful of coaches in each age group and when half the players end up on daddyball teams it doesn't help.
I have had kids play at the City Gym and it is not the place to put your kids if they have any hope of playing beyond elementary school. If your kids are just looking to get some exercise and have a little fun it is a great place for them and as you said a good value. They have people who organize the teams, but by know means are they coaches who know the game. We had a city worker who had no idea about the game and rolled the ball out for "practice" which was an hour every other week. My other son played on a team with a High School Kid as the coach and all he did was have the kids play a game once a week for practice. Not all NJB coaches are better, but the majority are.

If you matched a any City team with an NJB team in the same age group, they would lose by 25. If they played an all=net team they would lose by 50+.
NJB gives you a real uniform, the gym gives you a t-shirt. The city has high school kids ref, NJB has college kids all the way up to CIF refs. The City season is about 2 months long and NJB is 4-5 months depending on all-stars. Better value or just cheaper?

Dads with kids that play will always make up the majority of coaches. Who else would take the job? The pay is bad people like you complain about them and they have to put in countless hours and deal with many parents and different personalities. I think you should step-up and show everyone how it should be done. They are always looking for coaches.

Basketball is a skill game which requires many hours of basic fundamental work and when you get to high school only 10 kids play at each level so if you want your kid to one of them NJB, All-Net, Travel teams, and clinics are necessary.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Brew In 28,505
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 5 hr davis 5,303
18 La Puente gang members arrested (Jan '08) 15 hr NOGALES Aves 1,763
Santa Ana jury convicts two men of gang-related... (Jul '07) 15 hr O TOWN 1,137
Keeping La Mirada Cool (Dec '09) 18 hr oiny 10
La Mirada residential fire causes $10,000 damage Sat infirmer 3
SLAYER Guitarist, Jeff Hanneman, Passes Away At 49 (May '13) Fri happy 8

Brea News Video

Brea Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Brea People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE