County works to fill indigent care gap

There are 6 comments on the Nov 23, 2008, The Facts story titled County works to fill indigent care gap. In it, The Facts reports that:

Brazoria County's $200,000 telemedicine contract with the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston for indigent health care doesn't include extended care, but local officials are working out a way to ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Facts.

Susan

San Francisco, CA

#1 Dec 23, 2008
My sister needs a hip replacement. The indeigent program told her this was elective. She can't walk. Does anyone have any idea how to get services in Brazoria County?
Karl

Angleton, TX

#2 Dec 23, 2008
Is she disabled and/or on Medicaid or Medicare?
Brazoria Co. wasn't a good place to be indigent even before UTMB's troubles.
Sweet Pea

United States

#3 Feb 18, 2009
I see the posts about indigent care in Brazoria County and that it's not a good place to be. Where do you go then? I have a brother-in-law that has stage four kidney cancer. He is unemployed and has no insurance. My sister works, but barely makes over minimum wage. He needs a cancer surgeon and there is not one in Brazoria County. MD Anderson had them fill out an application for aid, but they've not gotten back with them. One doctor in Houston sent them to Ben Taub ER, but they would not see him because they do not live in Harris County. They've filled out the application for Brazoria County Health Department's Indigent Care, but nothing yet either. He was diagnosed in January. How long does he have to wait? Who does he go to? Medicare has a standard 24 month wait until you are accepted or denied. I do not understand how the medical community can treat people this way. I thought they took an oath to save lives.
Goldenmom

Houston, TX

#4 Mar 11, 2009
Susan, if your sister still needs help I have two suggestions:

1. Contact Ron Paul's office and tell them about the situation.

2. You could bring her to The City, chances are better you can get the surgery done there.

Texas has no compassion, never has never will.
Jeri

United States

#5 Jun 2, 2009
My dad has stage 3 lung cancer and no insurance. MD Anderson denied him because he made to much money which would not be enough to sustain any of us. Also, no help for him because he is not Harris County as far as Ben Taub . He lives in Brazoria county. We thought we got lucky when social security disability said he was accepted @ age 61 due to his medical condition. We were quickly disappointed when they said he made to much money with his new monthly check. We said to waive the check just give him medicaide for health care. They replied it doesn't work that way, and by the way your wife loses her medicaide because you make to much w/your monthly check. My dad said fine just let me die and leave my wife her medicaide insurance. They said, "no sir, it doesn't work that way. Even if you die, your wife will still get your check and she will lose her benefits. SAD!!!!!!!!! FRUSTRATING!!!!!
My dad was put into the hospital a few days ago, because they tumor had doubled in size in the last 4 weeks due to no care. It was pressing on his pulmonary vessel, and he was having heart problems. All because he couldn't get immediate care. The hospital had to decide if they would give him a blast of chemo to get the tumor off of his vessel. They decided they would give him treatment. Wasn't that nice, the hospital personnel decided my dad's life was valuable enough to sustain him a little longer. No Insurance And Helpless. His fate is in the hands of others. HELP!!!!!!!!!!
lazyamom

Lake Jackson, TX

#6 Jun 4, 2009
Good news! The Houston Medical Center with Baylor,(Methodist Hopt. and St. Lukes), as well as the entire Med. Ctr. is completely accesccible through "Connect Transit" bus system. All Brazoria County Residents can travel for a cost of $3.50 each pick-up on Tues. and Thurs. to Harris County, Texas. Call 211 to get the phone number and make reservation 7 days in advance. I have multiple complex medical problems and receive the best care available.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brazoria Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Apr 22 Fart 798
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Apr 18 Fart Smoke 633
Judge Hufstetler a disgrace to Brazoria County? (Jul '14) Apr 18 Jacob eversole 4
Lake Jackson Music Thread Apr 13 Musikologist 1
News Former police chief found dead days before his ... Apr 10 Anon 1
phillips 66 assessment test (May '13) Feb '15 Bigt314 4
Connie you red headed s $#@@t Feb '15 jonomorris92 2
More from around the web

Brazoria People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]