You can't ban the language of bigotry, but you can take a stand

Brazoria, Texas, Mayor Ken Corley's heart was in the right place. In an attempt to quash use of the N-word in his small town, he proposed an ordinance that would fine citizens $500 for uttering the racial slur. Full Story
pudbert_Savannah GA

United States

#1 Feb 8, 2007
The N-word shouldn't even be used as a "term of endearment". It exudes ignorance, and does not support any goal of the black race excelling and raising up through education and hard work.
Julie Anstaett

United States

#2 Feb 8, 2007
Oh, c'mon...I'm all for eradicating nasty sobriquets, because more often than not they're not affectionate. Do you think for one minute that if I called a black friend the "N" word it would be taken as something affectionate? NO, because I'm white. So, tell me please, why a black person can do it and I can't...or for that matter why a black person can call me "honky" or "cracker" and it's perfectly acceptable?....Good god, you can't enact lawa that prohibit someone's use of language...but you can censure them to the utmost when they DO use something we all (for the most part) find offensive.
Thank you,
Julie Anstaett
Soccer Mom

Orlando, FL

#3 Feb 8, 2007
I don't think ANY words should be banned. People need to just grow up. I have been called several racial slurs. I am a big enough person to say to myself, "sticks and stones may break my bones...."
I then view the person who is spewing the slurs as an ignorant person who is below me intellectually, morally and socially.
Free speech should NEVER be banned. I am offended each day by peoplpe using profanity in public, often in the presence of my small child.
People just need to grow up.....for God's sake, its just a WORD.
pudbert_Savannah GA

United States

#4 Feb 8, 2007
Soccer Mom wrote:
I don't think ANY words should be banned. People need to just grow up. I have been called several racial slurs. I am a big enough person to say to myself, "sticks and stones may break my bones...."
I then view the person who is spewing the slurs as an ignorant person who is below me intellectually, morally and socially.
Free speech should NEVER be banned. I am offended each day by peoplpe using profanity in public, often in the presence of my small child.
I agree, just wanted to make the point of it being OK for blacks to say to other blacks. Banning certain words isn't going to change anything. Especially the way people think or feel. Just another excuse for not teaching the kids what's right and wrong.

“Smile...It Catches On !”

Since: Dec 06

Somewhere Very Pretty !

#5 Feb 8, 2007
Soccer Mom wrote:
Well said !
Ramon

Safety Harbor, FL

#6 Feb 8, 2007
Blacks need to get a grip and stop being so sensitive. I've been called "spic", "wetback" "dago", "pancho", etc.

Big Deal. I don't whine about it, don't sue anybody. Forcing someone to not use a word doesn't change their attitude. We do live in American and have freedom to speak. I don't think we need to start down the dangerous path of banning words.
bastedcrispy

Windermere, FL

#7 Feb 9, 2007
From what I have experienced it is the race most offended by this word that is constantly calling each other by this label. Perpetuating the hate so that there will ALWAYS be an excuse for misery, poverty and alleged inequality.
Racial discrimination is a two way street and I see it far more from the alleged oppressed than from the oft accused caucasian.
honky in Dallas

United States

#8 Feb 22, 2007
Hum, if we ban this word, then how are we to keep from cussing, lol. Just kidding, we all need to get off of the whole white-black thing.
honkys husband in Dallas

United States

#9 Feb 22, 2007
How great of you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brazoria Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 7 hr 98 Degree Diarrhea 595
2 arrests in deadly Clute shooting (Apr '10) Dec 15 Tiffany Morgan 10
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Nov 29 Fartology 752
Judge Hufstetler a disgrace to Brazoria County? Nov '14 Appauled 3
Snapchatme nude Oct '14 Swapdick 1
Richwood soldier thought of as 'everybody's son' (Jan '07) Oct '14 Ranger1 3
Shady Company (Jun '09) Sep '14 ccc 17

Brazoria News Video

Brazoria Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Brazoria People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Brazoria News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Brazoria