Why do we even have a city council?

Posted in the Brazil Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mr Magoo

Terre Haute, IN

#1 Feb 15, 2013
Why do we need a city council when they have to constantly hire consultants?
Another example people, why its so important to vote. And vote these retards that keep wasting our money out of office
Didthatonce

Terre Haute, IN

#2 Feb 15, 2013
Someone has to approve the giving up of streets and buildings to I.S.U. and Union.
Get Real

Terre Haute, IN

#3 Feb 15, 2013
Take a hard look at the city and county council/commissioner's. Dumb, dumber & dumber. Need I say more?
Ross

Terre Haute, IN

#4 Feb 15, 2013
Get Real wrote:
Take a hard look at the city and county council/commissioner's. Dumb, dumber & dumber. Need I say more?
Boy you are giving them alot of credit
Dumb and dumber could do a better job
JBT

Terre Haute, IN

#5 Feb 15, 2013
All said is true.

You can't change anything when people who complain like some on this board does are attacked viciously? Others run and offer no support or input. Just like the meetings or when a lone citizen gets screwed while none else is concerned.

No change when only lefties run and attend any city meetings along with ISU. If you do attend to voice an opposite opinion you are targeted as an enemy of the liberal state with your information spread around town for the sole purpose for retribution and attacks on the non-conformist.

Only the worse is allowed to run for office while being put in appointed positions too. Hind end kissers to the corrupt get elected. Get perks, back door donations, better business opportunities for them all.

City or county have the best corrupt legal services at hand to support and advise them all.

I read here where one person had many times asked others to start a citizens action group or gatherings to try to end all the local issues of nepotism, corruption, and never ending servitude to ISU and other clique mobsters.

'For evil to flourish it takes good men and women to do nothing.'
Neil Garrison

Terre Haute, IN

#6 Feb 15, 2013
Great questions and concerns! The city council has struggled to get timely and often accurate financial information in recent years from those who create the city budget. A financial consultant (independent of the mayors office) will give us a better opportunity to know the real numbers, evaluate problems like trending reduced revenue while spending continues to increase every year.
These issues need addressed NOW and should have been addressed in the past. Otherwise we risk having worst case scenarios turn into new taxes and fees to get us out of mounting debt. Yes, we have it. And the cost of $20,000 will surely be recouped by some cost saving measures. In addition that money is already allocated within the controllers budget. This isn't an increase. I hope this helps clarify any concerns about your city council or what we are trying to do.
Neil Garrison - City Council
Citizen Of Terre Haute

Terre Haute, IN

#7 Feb 15, 2013
Mr Garrison
All we want is for you and the elected members to do whats right for once.
In case none of you are aware, the people of this city cannot absorb anymore of these officials mis handling, and very poor decisions with our money.
The Circle Center bldg downtown, parking garages, the handling of property for personnel gain of others, long term contracts...etc etc.
There are no great paying jobs with benefits for people in this town, and the people that do pay their bills are tired of paying for others.
Please both the council and mayor do whats right for this city and quit wasting our money and give us a break
YO

United States

#8 Feb 15, 2013
Norm ! It's all about stormin Norman!
The Sinister Porpoise

Terre Haute, IN

#9 Feb 15, 2013
This is one of the more reasoned debates over this topic, and Mister Garrison -- if you were concerned about mounting debt, why didn't the council approve the mayor's plan to pay it off?(Or did you agree with the mayor? I had to worry about events back home when this battle was fought.) I don't disagree with the council's decision, but given the number of cities that went bankrupt in 2012, including Stockton, CA and Scranton, PA, it seems that Terre Haute would be eager to avoid the same situation. And trust me, Terre Haute is *a lot* like Scranton in many ways.)

As to the people here, rather than complaining, there is one thing you can do. Get involved! I know that the Vigo County Taxpayer's Association shows up at many of these meetings. Local media shows up as well. The media isn't supposed to get involved, but the public certainly can.

If you think that Norman Loudermilk is a poor choice for president, let the city council know. More importantly,*don't* vote for him. Complaining about him while doing nothing to get him out of office won't do any good.
Neil Garrison

Terre Haute, IN

#10 Feb 16, 2013
The city council approved every request presented by the mayor. Lets see if I can remember all of them and the amounts.
- Over $2 million of new PILOT money from waste water treatment
- Over $3 million of rainy day money (which was money the state paid us to take care of a small stretch of HWY 63 behind Honey Creek Mall
- There was also a request of $2 million of EDIT or (Economic Development Income Tax) money. The EDIT tax was voted in several years ago by a very brave county council and was done to provide us additional revenue for economic dev issues ... it was NOT intended to use to pay operational bills for running the city.(Even though that is legal now.) We delayed this agenda item until Jan and the mayor ended up withdrawing the request saying it wouldn't help make the 2012 debt look positive. Keep in mind we also had a $5 million dollar loan taken out to pay the city bills. So the reality was even though the records would show a positive balance, we would have still been $5 million in the negative.(I find that odd, but it is government reality)
So in summary, the city council did approve everything presented to us in order to bail out the debt. Again, this was 2012 debt.

You will continue to hear reasons why the debt is bad, like property tax revenues reduced, house bill 1001, and now low reassessments. But I would remind everyone that all politicans have known since 2007 that property taxes were going to reduce revenue.

So, the questions still remain:
-WHAT PLANS WERE MADE AND FOLLOWED TO BETTER ALIGN REVENUE WITH EXPENSES ... then or now?
- WHY HAVE BUDGETS CONTINUED TO INCREASE YEAR AFTER YEAR KNOWING REVENUE WAS SHRINKING?
- WHY DID 18 OF 20 CITIES SHOW A POSITIVE GENERAL FUND BALANCE LAST YEAR AND TERRE HAUTE FINISHED 19TH AHEAD OF GARY, IN?
- WHO WILL EVER ADMIT THAT THE CITY DEBT "IS" A PROBLEM?

That's all the questions I would add to this.

Regarding your council president question, I would just say, and it is in the records, that I nominated and voted for another council member for president. Further I would add that our current council president will do fine if he separates himself from the mayor. He has done well so far.

I hope my comments have helped.

Neil Garrison
City Council
The Sinister Porpoise

Terre Haute, IN

#11 Feb 16, 2013
I didn't ask anything about the city council. I was merely stating that there are a number of people complaining on this site who take no active role in local issues. Council President Loudermilk is extremely *vocal*, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

The only other information I have about him is entirely third-hand. This information suggests he'd be *far* more comfortable as an Illinois politician. I can neither confirm nor deny his removal from other positions within the city. I'm choosing to believe this is a rumor. Given the general level of discourse on this site, I believe I'm right to be skeptical of what people say about him here.
For real

Buffalo Grove, IL

#12 Feb 16, 2013
This is true story. Norm works for Jeff trotter security company that provides security at hospital. Norm works during day when he is suppose to be at fire dept working. He is double dipping and no one holds him accountable. He's your city council president. Now what's that saying about the morals and ethics of your president of city council. He's a crook people. Firefighters had it right. He's got a long track record of selfish behavior. He's not for you and me. He's for himself. I'm not making this up. Please Neil Garrison check this story out.
YO

Buffalo Grove, IL

#16 Feb 17, 2013
For real wrote:
This is true story. Norm works for Jeff trotter security company that provides security at hospital. Norm works during day when he is suppose to be at fire dept working. He is double dipping and no one holds him accountable. He's your city council president. Now what's that saying about the morals and ethics of your president of city council. He's a crook people. Firefighters had it right. He's got a long track record of selfish behavior. He's not for you and me. He's for himself. I'm not making this up. Please Neil Garrison check this story out.
Mr. Loudermilk works at the hospital on his days off. A large number of the officers do. And btw they have a GREAT union that gets them several days off a year. Check it out all you want. Norm's clean.
what

Terre Haute, IN

#17 Feb 17, 2013
YO wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Loudermilk works at the hospital on his days off. A large number of the officers do. And btw they have a GREAT union that gets them several days off a year. Check it out all you want. Norm's clean.
nobody in politics is clean
For real

Chicago, IL

#18 Feb 17, 2013
Hey YO. Norm is a Monday thru Friday guy. That's when he is working you idiot. Norms union definately doesn't defend him either. My point being norm is a city council member that has a history of selfish behavior. Those type of leaders are incapable of moving terre haute forward. Those types need to be removed from council and probably fired from their jobs. Norm has always been under suspicion. It will one day get him. Not soon enough. Frustrating that he is the symbol to me of what's wrong with Terre Haute. And no ace to grind here either. I'm just in the know and am in no position to hold him and the rest accountable.
Moving forward Ha

Terre Haute, IN

#19 Feb 17, 2013
Veteran Campaigner wrote:
To answer the question in the title: we have a City Council because state government says that's how cities of our size shall organize the legislative part of our local government. The state also says we shall elect a mayor (executive part) and judge (judicial part).
This arrangement is likely to stay the same, until the city population dips below 50,000 in official census numbers. The council would then shrink somewhat, and we wouldn't have a mayor.
We're still a few decades away from replacing our City Council with a smaller version, but even then the legislative part of our local government won't go away.
We are lucky to have engaged, well meaning people like Neil on the City Council. He is there for the right reasons, not to enrich himself.
If you think you can do a better job than any local elected official, run for that office. That's what they all did!
You're last statement is a real hoot. Just what do you think gets elected or has a chance to in well known liberal stronghold of indiana? I hope youre kidding or have tongue in cheek. Must be like Norm and others. Kiss butt and work for the rich, unions, clique, colleges, liberals, special interest groups, sign petitions like our present councils have for Indiana State, attain the Eve Kor democrats approval plus many more. No need to try to blow smoke up butts. Well known facts are facts.
Moving forward Ha

Terre Haute, IN

#20 Feb 17, 2013
For real wrote:
Hey YO. Norm is a Monday thru Friday guy. That's when he is working you idiot. Norms union definately doesn't defend him either. My point being norm is a city council member that has a history of selfish behavior. Those type of leaders are incapable of moving terre haute forward. Those types need to be removed from council and probably fired from their jobs. Norm has always been under suspicion. It will one day get him. Not soon enough. Frustrating that he is the symbol to me of what's wrong with Terre Haute. And no ace to grind here either. I'm just in the know and am in no position to hold him and the rest accountable.
None like him or worse have ever been removed but keep on going justlike many others have down the years and doing now. Mebbe one for playing cop. Nepotism shows lack of integrity and continuance of the same with many examples.
YO

Buffalo Grove, IL

#21 Feb 17, 2013
For real wrote:
YO! Do you realize how many days off a year these people get idiot? He does work m-f but again, many, many days off per year. Look it up, idiot.
For real

Chicago, IL

#22 Feb 17, 2013
I know exactly how many days off they get there YO! I know this cause I am one. I also have access to telestaff which shows him working on the city dime but yet he is down covering for trotters security club. Double dipping when he's suppose to be at work. Ghost employment. Whatever you wanna call it. Must be nice to be friends with the chief. So YO. Like I said. I am in the know. I see the abuse of taxpayer dollars everyday. It just sucks that this town holds no one accountable. Where's the TEA Party ???
For real

Chicago, IL

#23 Feb 17, 2013
Like I also said I have no axe to grind. I just wish people would hold these politicians accountable. Also if Norm decides to run for state rep. Word is the skeletons will come out. Just FYI.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brazil Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GET READY TO SHAKEOUT! Another Gov Fear Mongering 29 min Fubar 2
YES smoking pot DOES make you a bad person, Her... (Mar '14) 33 min Fubar 295
Council to Consider Budgets for Individual Depa... 36 min Fubar 5
Jim Waddel is low.life thief,did i mention he i... 39 min truthtbt 13
sexy dudes in t.h 46 min Oh yeah 22
Murder in Terre Haute goes unreported 47 min Truth 31
Tucker Ray 58 min Impartial 6
•••
•••
Brazil Dating