Inside The Walls Of The Calipatria St...

Inside The Walls Of The Calipatria State Prison

There are 37 comments on the Desert Local News story from Jul 18, 2008, titled Inside The Walls Of The Calipatria State Prison. In it, Desert Local News reports that:

Desert Local News/ Fronteras takes you on an inside tour of the Calipatria State Prison located in the Imperial Valley .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Desert Local News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Decide

Pacific Palisades, CA

#21 Nov 1, 2009
Question wrote:
"Decide" wrote, "...the guards who are sewing these bad karmic seeds.."
Are the guards sowing bad karmic seeds, or are they actually the manifestation of the bad karma that the inmate brought down upon himself by doing the crimes that got him locked up in the first place?
Instant karma, just add prison.
Karma works in all directions.

Have you ever walked into a business and have been mistreated by a customer service rep. who is rude, and although she may or may not be 'technically' following the 'rules'...she is going BEYOND the call of duty?? Some people get a taste of power and it goes directly to the head and to the ego. This may be the case here. Guards have to be tough or get ran over by inmates; however, the families visiting these inmates HAVE NOT committed crimes and, therefore, do not deserve mistreatment.

Furthermore, mistreating family members creates more animosity against these guards and,in the interim, makes their own jobs and the jobs of their fellow guards that much more harder.

I have to believe that most guards subscribe to the belief system of TREAT THEM AS I WANT TO BE TREATED in relation to innocents (visitors). I might be naive in this, however, I personally will be putting God before ANY visits and God will MAKE them do right...FOR EVERYTHING WORKS TO MY BENEFIT BECAUSE I LOVE HIM. All will be well and God will remove 'thorns' who render evil for good.
Question

Loyalton, CA

#22 Nov 2, 2009
And where do you think most of the smuggled contraband comes from, the guards or the visitors?

Of course most of it comes from a small minority of the visitors.

So how are the guards going to protect your loved ones that are serving time from the effects of the contraband that they are surrounded by? Are treating VOLUNTARY visitors with kid gloves going to make the contraband smuggling go away?

Didn't think so.

Prison is prison; get over it already and write more letters to your loved one who, through his VOLUNTARY actions got his butt locked up!
Decide

Pacific Palisades, CA

#23 Nov 2, 2009
Question wrote:
And where do you think most of the smuggled contraband comes from, the guards or the visitors?
Of course most of it comes from a small minority of the visitors.
So how are the guards going to protect your loved ones that are serving time from the effects of the contraband that they are surrounded by? Are treating VOLUNTARY visitors with kid gloves going to make the contraband smuggling go away?
Didn't think so.
Prison is prison; get over it already and write more letters to your loved one who, through his VOLUNTARY actions got his butt locked up!
A wise man can be firm and soft at the same time. Not once did I write that guards are not to DO THEIR JOBS-including searching for contraband (some of which come from the guards at some prisons, or so I have researched). If these guards that are mistreating visitors were to re-read their how to manual, I do not believe that at any point will they find a passage saying MISTREAT, ABUSE, DEBASE, AND HUMILIATE visitors (if so, the manual needs to be re-written and the former publisher and/or policy-makers fired).

Now, what IS in the how to manual should be followed with firmness and respect...These same guards should treat visitors as they want their family members to be treated if the situations were reversed...remember that word 'karma'...situations have way of reversing themselves.
Decide

Pacific Palisades, CA

#24 Nov 2, 2009
Question wrote:
And where do you think most of the smuggled contraband comes from, the guards or the visitors?
Of course most of it comes from a small minority of the visitors.
So how are the guards going to protect your loved ones that are serving time from the effects of the contraband that they are surrounded by? Are treating VOLUNTARY visitors with kid gloves going to make the contraband smuggling go away?
Didn't think so.
Prison is prison; get over it already and write more letters to your loved one who, through his VOLUNTARY actions got his butt locked up!
As an addendum, I would like to add that I do see your point. You also seem very wise. All that I am saying is don't ABUSE visitors. Be firm, do your jobs and do them well, but don't make us want to cry--especially when(as you so stated yourself) most of the troublemakers are a small minority of visitors.
Question

Loyalton, CA

#25 Nov 3, 2009
Manuals are like laws; they are written in a one size fits all style. That is part of the problem. To some visitors, getting a thorough pat-down is humiliating and bordering on abuse. So what's a guard to do?
DECIDE

Pacific Palisades, CA

#26 Nov 4, 2009
Question wrote:
Manuals are like laws; they are written in a one size fits all style. That is part of the problem. To some visitors, getting a thorough pat-down is humiliating and bordering on abuse. So what's a guard to do?
Very good point. Maybe a little brochure could be included (or a little paragraph) within the visitors' manuals that are made available. This brochure or paragraph could let the visitors know what to expect in terms of what must be done in all, some and/or most cases when you come to visit and why these must be done. This way, if all of the guards follow this same procedure (without being rude--firm but not rude), all that anyone can say is that the guards are just doing their jobs. One page reminders could even be posted up where visitors have to read them when entering. I am not overly familiar with the process and these solutions are not well-thought out (just brainstorming here), but something along the lines of awareness might prove helpful. Also for those small percentage of troublemakers who make it hard on everyone else, they might think twice. Who knows? Thank you.
Terri c

United States

#27 Nov 21, 2009
What's up with the new visiting procedure every time I visit something always changes
I love him

United States

#28 Aug 27, 2012
My man is serving life in prison and I, feel for every family especially wives of lifers may god give us the strength we need to go on. Amen
Rshud

North Hills, CA

#29 Oct 19, 2012
Pleas send your comments or complaint to Ombudsman in Sacramento, if you want abuse be known or humans to be treated above the standards of a Kennel
MSW wrote:
i VISIT MY HUSBAND THERE AND VISITORS ARE HARRASSED AND TREATED AS IF THEY ARE INMATES AS WELL; EVEN THOSE THAT FOLLOW THE RULES. IT IS REALLY SAD TO SEE SO MANY MEN JUST WASTING THEIR LIVES SERVING TIME AT CALIPATRIA.
Rshud

North Hills, CA

#30 Oct 19, 2012
Please don't limit your concerns or complaint to the blog, send them to the Ombudsman in Sacramento.

Calipatria State Prison, Ombudmans is G.Vela.

Please submit the things you know to be wrong.
Rshud

North Hills, CA

#31 Oct 19, 2012
Your tone is critical, possibly because you are not behind the bars. However, there are many behind the bars who are actually not guilty. I'm sure once one of your love ones are in prison you will think before you make a statement, "Get Over It".

innounce
Question wrote:
And where do you think most of the smuggled contraband comes from, the guards or the visitors?
Of course most of it comes from a small minority of the visitors.
So how are the guards going to protect your loved ones that are serving time from the effects of the contraband that they are surrounded by? Are treating VOLUNTARY visitors with kid gloves going to make the contraband smuggling go away?
Didn't think so.
Prison is prison; get over it already and write more letters to your loved one who, through his VOLUNTARY actions got his butt locked up!
Rshud

North Hills, CA

#32 Oct 19, 2012
There is extreme abuse on the inmates, especially at Calipatria State Prison or the prisons that are in lower California away from the Sacramento Office. In these prisons, it is a fact the "keepers" are overreaching their vested authority, with no concerns of accountability. Because their superiors are just as unhonorable as their suborinates. These prisons are operating a little short of a kennel
VLH

Denver, CO

#33 Jun 19, 2013
I am there every weekend and even today the guards CONTINUE to treat the families, INCLUDING the kids, horribly. It is a shame.
SEYMOUR DUCK

Irvine, CA

#34 Jun 19, 2013
nancy wrote:
no one knoew what goes on behind the prison walls but the inmates themself the guard are full of it they treat the inmates like crap i believe but just remember that what goes around comes around no mater what mistakes people do no one leaves without paying god
Very good, So true they need to fear the LORD.
IV MAN

Philadelphia, PA

#35 Dec 9, 2016
iF YOU THINK THE GUARDS ARE BAD. TRY VISITING SOMEONE IN THE IMPERIAL VALLEY SHERRIFFS OFFICE. THEY HAVE KIDS THINKING THEY ARE TUFF. THEY ALL STICK TOGETHER , EVEN WHERE THEY LIVE. ONE DAY THEY WILL BE WITHOUT THE BADGE AND PROBABLY PARTING IN MEXICALI. SUCKERS.
GOPJoe

Los Angeles, CA

#36 Dec 20, 2016
Sheree wrote:
I understand your feelings (the 4 posted before me), but you have to remember that it is prison and that it's not meant to be a nice place. I totally don't believe that the guards should treat people just any kind of way but whatever way they choose it should be consistant. Therefore I know what to expect. However, the inmates made a choice to go left instead of right and now they have to pay the consequences. If they wanted to continue to live the 'good life', then they should have thought about it before committing the crime. I don't want to offend anyone, but you can't go through life hurting people and don't expect nothing to come back to you eventually. It's not fair. To: Nancy....you're right at the end of the day we have to give account to God only and that goes for everyone including the guards that are being rude.
It's a person not a resort. How did those convicts treat their victims. California prisons pales in comparison to prisons in other countries. If things are so bad why do they keep returning? It's suppressed to be punishment. Deal with it!
Dave frasier

Fullerton, CA

#37 Feb 22, 2017
When you go in use code just say MSETEHDT THEY TREE YOU LIKE ROYALTY,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brawley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old Friends (Mar '09) Jun 15 Joseph 54 2
Looking for my old friend Robert Hignight (Apr '09) Jun 8 claw 10
News Border agents find 14 illegal immigrants hiding... May 28 spytheweb 1
Baker Family May '17 Mrbandb 1
News Tragic collission near Salton City (Nov '07) May '17 Well Well 29
News Deported DACA Recipient Sues Trump Administrati... Apr '17 Wildchild 1
Medical clinics Apr '17 Dave 1

Brawley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brawley Mortgages