Think of Relocating to the Area

Think of Relocating to the Area

Posted in the Brawley Forum

Green Eyed Gal

North Ridgeville, OH

#1 Apr 26, 2009
My husband was recently offered a job w/ the USDA at the beef factory in that area. Can anyone tell me about the community, the factory, etc. Cost of living, crime, recreation...anything would be helpful in our decision we would be coming from KY.
FTW

Germany

#2 Apr 28, 2009
Housing isn't too bad right now, you might be able to find something that you and family might like. I'd would live in Brawley, El Centro, Holtville or Imperial if you had to live in any of the towns in Imperial Valley. If you like riding off-road motorcycles/ATV's/Jeep's/4x4's then the Imperial Valley is the place to be for that. Have to go about an hour to get to the Colorado River if you want to play in the water. They have some small lakes there but nothing too big. Crime is a little bit bad there but nothing you couldn't avoid, try to get into one of the better neighborhoods and it won't be an issue. It gets hot as hades there so be prepared for high utility bills during the spring/summer months
as well. If you have any other questions throw them out there and I am sure they'll get answered.
I hope this helps you out some...FTW
Green Eyed Gal

Bowling Green, KY

#3 May 11, 2009
does anyone have any comments....thanks FTW. what about the job market for a college student? And what colleges are close?
FTW

Germany

#4 May 12, 2009
One more thing Green Eye Gal, all they have their in the Imperial Valley is a JuCo (Imperial Valley College) and a SDSU extension campus in Calexico.
Don't know how the job market is for a college student, but I'd recommend working at one of the local hospitals, they have (or at least used to) have some good programs for college students if you are employed with them. Hope this helps...
Green Eyed Gal

Paducah, KY

#5 May 13, 2009
I'm actually very nervous if we do end up moving there. I've been looking at newspapers to get a feel for the area but...I do appreciate all your help. I'm actually going for accounting so, I don't know if that's doable out there. thank you
FTW

Germany

#6 May 15, 2009
Green Eye Gal: get online w/ the SDSU website, they might have an accounting program at the Calexico extension campus, that way you can stay local and finish your degree. You can make a decent living as an accountant there, I am sure you will be able to find a decent job in the IV. It's a bit different there than it is in the South but it still isn't a bad place to live or raise kids. If you decide to go there best of luck...
Green Eyed Gal

Haubstadt, IN

#7 May 31, 2009
We have been looking for rental properties and checking it against google earth. What areas are good areas to live? We're looking for a 2 bedroom apt. or small house thats pet friendly. What cities are close by that might be good places to look?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brawley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Immigration Court Administrator Gracie D. Gray'... Jul 17 Juan Valdez 2
News Border Patrol Agents Save Pregnant Woman from D... (Mar '14) Jul 16 Justice For All 4
Does anyone know Renita? (Sep '15) Jun 28 Truthhurts 2
Old Friends (Mar '09) Jun '17 Joseph 54 2
Looking for my old friend Robert Hignight (Apr '09) Jun '17 claw 10
News Border agents find 14 illegal immigrants hiding... May '17 spytheweb 1
Baker Family May '17 Mrbandb 1

Brawley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brawley Mortgages