The Brattleboro Retreat Has Become A Crummy Place

Posted in the Brattleboro Forum

Becky

Tunbridge, VT

#1 Nov 14, 2011
And the Anna Marsh clinic is alomost as bad as HCRS.

I remember, years ago, the Retreat being a high quality place. What happened?
Becky

Tunbridge, VT

#2 Nov 14, 2011
They now appear to encourage mentally ill people to harass their relatives--texts, e-mail, phone calls, snail mails. If you are blood related, you don't have a right to relief from harassment.

My husband and I have physical handicaps and the harasssments encouraged by the Retreat has made us physically more and more ill. We can't afford a lawyer to fight back. What are we supposed to do, die off?
Becky

South Burlington, VT

#3 Nov 14, 2011
Becky wrote:
They now appear to encourage mentally ill people to harass their relatives--texts, e-mail, phone calls, snail mails. If you are blood related, you don't have a right to relief from harassment.
My husband and I have physical handicaps and the harasssments encouraged by the Retreat has made us physically more and more ill. We can't afford a lawyer to fight back. What are we supposed to do, die off?
Correction on this! He sent the e-mails and texts just BEFORE he went into the Retreat. He only sent snail mail from the Retreat, but it was really horrible snail mail. He was court ordered to go into the Retreat, or go to jail.
mike mulligan

Boston, MA

#4 Nov 14, 2011
You are so full of shit.
Becky

South Burlington, VT

#5 Nov 14, 2011
mike mulligan wrote:
You are so full of shit.
I'm so sick of your stupid, filthy replies. Why don't you get off this board and go somewhere else? Better yet, go lock yourself in a looney bin.
mike mulligan

Boston, MA

#6 Nov 15, 2011
Becky wrote:
<quoted text>I'm so sick of your stupid, filthy replies. Why don't you get off this board and go somewhere else? Better yet, go lock yourself in a looney bin.
Like you got the power to do that. So, you pay attention to what I say?
Josefa

Essex Junction, VT

#7 Nov 15, 2011
The Retreat doesn't allow cell phones, I don't know about computer access. I'm surprised they didn't censor the snail mail.
Josefa

Essex Junction, VT

#8 Nov 15, 2011
The Retreat has some very good people working there, but there are always a few rotten apples every place you go. It isn't really crummy. I think you are saying that because of emotional upset from the bad snail mail.
Spike

Fairlee, VT

#9 Jan 12, 2013
Patients have no access to computers at the reteat,so they can't send any e-mails,and they don't censor snail mail,it's called the right to
privacy.Remember,it's not a jail.
If a patient calls from the retreat it shows up as "private"or "unknown" #.So if you have a sick relative you think does not deserve your help,don't answer the phone,or set your phone up to not acept calls from unknown callers,it's easy and free.All the info you need to do it,is in the front of your phone book,and if you still can't figure it out,ask for help,and stop blaming others for your illnes getting worse.
Ever considered that the relative you say is herassing you is sick himself,or he would not be at the retreat
Chris

Didcot, UK

#11 Apr 11, 2014
Becky wrote:

Try a Co-ordinator (hospital) or MH Advocate?
Flat Lander

United States

#12 Apr 11, 2014
If it as you say Becky take your loved one back home. If your out of luck it is a place to go or say if needed. Is it nice and warm in ?your home and soul
Autumn

Montpelier, VT

#13 Oct 2, 2014
Spike wrote:
Patients have no access to computers at the reteat,so they can't send any e-mails,and they don't censor snail mail,it's called the right to
privacy.Remember,it's not a jail.
If a patient calls from the retreat it shows up as "private"or "unknown" #.So if you have a sick relative you think does not deserve your help,don't answer the phone,or set your phone up to not acept calls from unknown callers,it's easy and free.All the info you need to do it,is in the front of your phone book,and if you still can't figure it out,ask for help,and stop blaming others for your illnes getting worse.
Ever considered that the relative you say is herassing you is sick himself,or he would not be at the retreat
I know this Becky. Her mentally ill relative has a violent streak, had been in trouble for attacking people before, and was making threats. He was too far off his rocker to be reasoned with. He had run away from the retreat before, and who knew if he might do it again? Becky has an auto-immune disorder which gets much worse under stress. You need not be judging people whose shoes you have not walked in.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brattleboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The third world of science in Vermont/Brattleboro (Nov '11) 1 hr Urinoff 34
Audit of decommissioning fund should be public (Aug '10) 4 hr President Hillary... 26
Just another religious criminal (Oct '14) Fri Urinoff 138
Why is topix deleting half of my posts? (Aug '11) May 21 Urinoff 41
Vermonts new economy (Jun '14) May 20 Community Disorga... 138
Why Are You Atheists So Angry? May 19 Urinoff 15
When ‘Religious Liberty’ Was Used To Deny All H... (Mar '14) May 19 BabyCenter dot Com 268
More from around the web

Brattleboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]