Vt. utility calls for moratorium on r...

Vt. utility calls for moratorium on renewable energy mandates

Posted in the Brattleboro Forum

totes

Orford, NH

#1 Dec 29, 2012
http://www.wcax.com/story/20445873/vt-utility...

"Carbon is only 4 percent of the electricity carbon footprint of the state, so we've got all this emotional energy. We've got our communities being split and yet were focusing on really the crumbs of carbon. The real issue of carbon is in transportation and heating and cooling and it seems like if we're going to put our energy in and we really want to reduce carbon we would put it on where the biggest contributors are," Hallquist said.
totes

Orford, NH

#2 Dec 29, 2012
The “Energy Efficiency Excise Tax”
December 2012

In January 2007 newly elected Senate leader Peter Shumlin declared war on the Menace of Global Warming. Shumlin said that failure to act boldly to combat the Menace will make our grandchildren’s lives “unspeakably horrid”. The leading component of that war on the Vermont front was to have been the creation of a new “thermal efficiency utility”.

This new governmental bureaucracy was to parallel the electric efficiency utility, Efficiency Vermont, financed since 1999 by a tax on electric bills. Instead of (logically) taxing heating fuel, propane and natural gas, the utility would raise $25 million through a new tax on Vermont Yankee. This sum, Shumlin explained, would curtail waste, create jobs, and curb greenhouse gas emissions.

The 2007 legislature obligingly passed the thermal efficiency utility bill. But Gov. Jim Douglas, not sharing the Shumlin-VPIRG alarm at the Menace of Global Warming, vetoed it. The legislature let Shumlin’s signature issue drop for the moment.

But now the Shumlin administration has revived the thermal efficiency utility as the centerpiece of next year’s....

http://www.ethanallen.org/html/energy_____cli...
Fed up

Orford, NH

#3 Dec 30, 2012
1)JOHNSON --Vermont Electric Cooperative is asking the Legislature to approve a moratorium on creating renewable power mandates.The VEC vote comes as some lawmakers have vowed to resurrect a wind moratorium proposal that failed last session. But that will run into sharp opposition from both Gov. Peter Shumlin and House leadership.
http://www.wcax.com/story/20445873/vt-utility...

2)WINDHAM -- The state Public Service Board has granted permission for a developer to erect three controversial testing towers that may pave the way for Windham County's first commercial wind-turbine site Commercial wind turbines are banned by the Windham town plan, so the town's Selectboard and planning commission argued that the state board also should turn down the application for testing towers.
http://www.reformer.com/localnews/ci_22259836...
Fed up

Orford, NH

#4 Dec 30, 2012
Even the utilities are stating that Shumlin’s energy policy doesn’t make financial sense! Shumlin responds,“Screw you I want it! Why do I need peon utilities like Vermont Electric Cooperative anyway when I have Green Mountain Power in bed with me?”
Fed up

Orford, NH

#5 Dec 30, 2012
VEC CEO Dave Hallquist -- "the utility is concerned about finding balance between rising electric rates and the adoption of a greener power portfolio.Our perspective as the boots on the ground utility that has to carry it out says we don't know how it can work even from a physics standpoint,"

Shumlin, D-Vermont --"I don't think we can move fast enough to move to renewables and I am bound and determined to continue to make the progress we are making in building renewables in Vermont,"

There you have it, Governor Shumlin is a complete moron!
So Dope

Orford, NH

#6 Dec 30, 2012
Thanks we needed to see that.
Edd

Orford, NH

#7 Dec 30, 2012
Ed
2 days ago
Why should qualified utilities executives make decisions about supplying power when we have so many brilliant politicians who can do it for them?
VTScott

Orford, NH

#8 Dec 30, 2012
VTScott
2 days ago
So here you have the CEO of a power company, that is being force fed all these renewables, that says our current path is misguided and possibly impossible to attain. But of course our "all knowing" Governor knows better. Lets destroy ridgelines, split communities, all to target that 4% of Vermont's carbon footprint. What a business plan. Only in Vermont. Of course the benefactors of already approved projects have personal relationships with the "Gov". I'm sure that is just a coincidence. I wonder if a portion of our lost $21 million went towards some land in East Montpelier. This current administration is going to lead us right into the crapper. I hope everyone that voted for Shummy is happy. And I agree with Jack, Klein is a "moon rock".
Luvofgaia

Orford, NH

#9 Dec 30, 2012
Luvofgaia
2 days ago
Shumlin is not an electrical engineer, he's not much of anything really. Hallquist is right. The technology does not exist to make industrial wind and commercial solar viable to the grid. ISO New England made it clear to GMP for months that the Lowell project would destabilize the grid but that project was pushed through so GMP could line it's pockets with taxpayer subsidies. Now GMP has had to admit that it must place a $10 million dollar voltage device at the wind project before it can pump into the grid. How can this be done before the PTC expires Dec 31st? I hope it can't. You know who will be footing the bill for this expensive voltage regulator? You got it! The same saps who GMP screwed out $21 million when the Canadians (Shumlin's only buddies) were allowed to take over CVPS. Why can't Shumlin be "bound and determined" to serve Vermont instead of his own vanity?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brattleboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vermonts new economy (Jun '14) 3 min Community Disorga... 154
Stand With Rand - Pillory Hillary 16 hr Alex -Infowars do... 1
Audit of decommissioning fund should be public (Aug '10) May 30 Alex -Infowars do... 41
Just another religious criminal (Oct '14) May 30 ViglilantCitizen ... 149
Global Financial Meltdown (Oct '11) May 29 TheDailySheeple d... 17
The third world of science in Vermont/Brattleboro (Nov '11) May 24 Urinoff 36
Why is topix deleting half of my posts? (Aug '11) May 21 Urinoff 41
More from around the web

Brattleboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]