Calvert Cliffs Seawater System Is Als...

Calvert Cliffs Seawater System Is Also Crap

Posted in the Brattleboro Forum

Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#1 Dec 23, 2013
http://newhinsdalebridge.blogspot.com/

The new leak.
"A manufacturing defect has resulted in a local failure of the rubber lining, such as a seam split, that has allowed SW to come in contact with the carbon steel."

Metal reinforced polymeric patches in the seawater system the crap 35 inch piping.

"The EPDM rubber has also been designed for a 50 year life. The licensee stated that the EPDM rubber has a service life of 50 years in submerged conditions similar to those experienced at Calvert Cliffs. The licensee noted that the operating history of the rubber used in safety-related service water systems of other nuclear power plants has been excellent and no deterioration of the rubber has been identified."
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#2 Dec 24, 2013
The NRC threw me a Christmas present...the senior resident inspector gave me a call back this morning. We talked for almost an hour.
It is really astonishing access they gave me...

So the 12 inch pipe is about 10 downstream of the component cooling water heat exchanger. It is really unisolable. Their salt water system isnít really redundant. Both the discharges of the component cooling heat exchanger eventually merge into a single pipe...then exit the plant as one pipe.

Generally the analysis that allows this is...in a redundant system we always assume one side would fail in any imaginable accident. They generally have two 100% cooling piping systems. So downstream of the component cooling heat exchangers there would be no need of 200% capacity or redundancy.

So that single pipe is the reason they canít isolate, drain and fix a pipe hole leak....plus they were too cheap in construction to install maintenance isolation valves. They couldnít imagine their pipe would have a defect or wear out?
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#3 Dec 24, 2013
They trade redundancy for operational flexibility?
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#4 Jan 27, 2014
Is this so amazing when I caught them being so sloppy with their salt water system...

Nuclear regulators send inspectors to Calvert Cliffs

Reactors at nuclear power plant in southern Maryland shut down last week after an electrical malfunction

By Jamie Smith Hopkins, The Baltimore Sun
4:50 p.m. EST, January 27, 2014

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission announced Monday that it is conducting a special inspection at the Calvert Cliffs nuclear power plant in southern Maryland after an electrical malfunction caused the two reactors there to shut down.

The plant, which restarted both reactors over the weekend, suffered the shutdown after snow and ice during a storm Jan. 21 apparently affected a ventilation louver filter and caused a short circuit. After the electrical supply system shut down, so did several plant systems and components that rely on electricity, the nuclear regulatory agency said Monday.

Those components included motors for moving control rods and water circulating pumps for the Unit 2 reactor, the agency said. The main turbine control circuit for the Unit 1 reactor also malfunctioned after the electricity loss.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-ca...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brattleboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Diversity dialogue to continue in Brattleboro Aug 6 Diversity Dude 2
Tellman Knudson (Jun '12) Jul 30 Angela Hernandez 51
Did Anyone Get Kilt In Your Flood (Aug '11) Jul '17 Redneck 7
What Does It Take To Get the Brattleboro Reform... Jun '17 Kay 1
Review: Biologic Integrative Health - Samantha ... (Feb '10) Jun '17 Amy 65
Quick Loan Jun '17 housingfinance 1
News Autopsy results pending: Police ID troopers in ... (Dec '07) May '17 superkim_89 4

Brattleboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brattleboro Mortgages