Man held on charges

Man held on charges

There are 79 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Feb 19, 2009, titled Man held on charges. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

A 41-year-old Brattleboro man accused of entering a Brattleboro residence and sexually assaulting a woman was ordered held without bail in Windham County District Court Wednesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Feb 09

Ellicott City, MD

#61 Mar 5, 2009
Babs G wrote:
I really feel that Vermont incarcerates people for little to no reason when probably 80% of all inmates should really be home and working and taking care of their families; while jailing him initially for violating the order was the right thing to do, seems he should be given some assessment and a determination made as to whether he's a threat or not -
It's such a game with some women, that much I can see; but so can the courts who see it day in and day out- so if she's fixated on some kind of dangerous game playing, it will come out in the end.
For those of you who are his friends - going to court to show your support and belief in this guy will go a long, long way. However, my suggestion is that you refrain from slamming the female and focus on holding your friend to the light. Otherwise, it cheapens the support and drags everyone into the sewer. Make the distinction obvious - if you believe in him.
And as far as any woman waiting for days to report a sexual assault; I have to tell you there are cases where it's never reported at all. So, that's one bell you should stop ringing in my opinion because it's sewer material to just jump on the blame lane and play that long worn out game. Stay away from stuff like that and focus on your friend if you honestly feel he's completely innocent.
At the same time, don't forget he did break a court order and don't let him forget that. It's one lesson worth learning; he may be a great guy like you say; but no one is so great that they can just ignore a court order. Be practical about it, please.
Well said, Babs. I am sure you can see for yourself that so many of the people who posted comments on here are certainly not practical or reasonable, by any stretch. All they want to do is protect the accused's reputation at the expense of the victim. I understand why, because if my best friend was ever accused of something like this, he would have my support too. However, there is a big difference between supporting a friend and being an ignorant twat.

I have known my best friend for 16 years, I was the best man at his wedding, he's a great husband and father, but if he was ever accused of a crime, I CAN NOT SAY FOR A FACT that he didn't do it IF I WAS NOT THERE WHEN IT HAPPENED. I can say "Hey, that's not like him - what's going on?" but not "Well, I know for a fact that he most certainly did not do that - I know him - he would never do that!"

Ever heard of Scott Peterson? He had the support of his family, his wife's family, and the entire community! The police initially didn't even consider him a suspect because of his reputation and because so many people said he was innocent. Guess what? That man murdered his pregnant wife, cut off her hands, feet, and head, and dumped her body in Berkeley Marina! How shocked, hurt, stupid, and betrayed did those people feel when they found out the truth?

My point is, anyone is capable of anything at any given time, given the right circumstances or context. That being said, you can know someone for a lifetime, but all the things that you know about a person are only the things that they want you to know.
Eli from Brattleboro

Montpelier, VT

#62 Mar 5, 2009
I find many of these postings to be so backward. I find it rather frightening that in this town people resort to woman blaming. As someone with more intimate knowledge of this situation I can say that many of you are misled and have jumped to some rash conclusions. I also do believe that people are innocent until proven guilty...let the law take care of it and stop assuming you know what is going on. You are not held accountable if you are found to be not guilty...

There is no data to support that women use sexual assault reports against men. This is VERY rare.

I will also add that many people think they know people and later come to find out they don't.
from Brattleboro

Montpelier, VT

#63 Mar 5, 2009
i don't know the details, but i will say that many of the comments here are akin to keyboard diaharea - stop and think about what you're typing before you rush to judgment and offer such inflammatory nonsense.

there is a legal system to deal with the case, after all; heaven forbid many of you end up on the jury.
Babs G

Brattleboro, VT

#64 Mar 6, 2009
And you behave no better, "from Brattleboro" - rather than jump in and pick an argument over who had what for an opinion, you are showing your own brand of intolerance.

Instead of killing the messenger(s), if you were smart about it, you would try to add something of value to the topic. In fact, you might even conclude that you are possibly powerless over what other people believe and think and just end it right there.

That makes you no better jury material than anyone else.

Such direct insult is as inflammatory as any other opinion already stated here.
Maria

Marlboro, VT

#65 Mar 6, 2009
Bonent75 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where in the Reformer article does it say she waited four days to report it? The article was published in the Reformer on Thursday, Feb 19th and the accused was ordered held without bail on Wednesday, Feb 18th. It doesn't say anywhere in the article what day the sexual assault (not rape) took place.
It says it took place on the weekend prior to his arrest so that means there were 3-4 days between when the rape supposedly happened and he was arrested. Now it also says that she was trying to call police but he took her cell phone from her. Did it take her 3 days to find her cell phone or any other phone to call police. Maybe you need to re-read the article becuase you just proved that you have no idea what your are talking about.
Eli

Brattleboro, VT

#66 Mar 6, 2009
Bonent75 wrote:
Are you serious? The only person irresponsible here is John Galanes. The article simply lays out in plain English the charges against him. How is any of that "ignorant" or "irresponsible?" Have you read any real newspapers lately? Watched any CNN? Both are chock full of stories of criminals and the charges against them! Let's consider the "facts" you claimed here. You say the woman who was attacked was his wife, with whom he is going through a "nasty break up." You also say that Mr. Galanes was allowing her and her children to live in his house until she could find a place to live. Do any of those things give him the right to violate a protective order and break into the house while she and her children are sleeping and sexually assault her? I don't think so. The man clearly had a hidden agenda. On the surface, he posed as a caring person, offering to let a woman (his ex-wife) and her children, with no place to go, live in his home. In reality, his plan was to keep tabs on her, stalk her, monitor her comings and goings, call her non-stop and try to wheedle his way back into her life. Things got so out of control that she found it necessary to get a protective order to keep him away. What kind of "respected businessman", "father", "strong member of the community", "big hearted man" requires a protective order against him because he can't control his own behavior? This person you paint as a pillar of the community then blatantly disregards his protective order and breaks into the house and sexually assaults his ex-wife! Surely a person of the qualities you describe has some knowledge of and respect for the law? Again, I ask, what person of the ilk you describe does this sort of thing? Sounds to me like the sort of person who is really good at maintaining a public facade to cover up the fact that he is nothing but a bully and a spouse abuser. A man who is willing to take advantage of someone in a vulnerable situation to further his own agenda. Not a man at all. Trust, he will have his day in court. I can already see that it will be one big sob story; a lot of hand wringing and finger pointing at his ex-wife, who is clearly the victim here.
I so agree with you! Thank you!

Ellicott City, MD

#67 Mar 6, 2009
Maria wrote:
<quoted text>
It says it took place on the weekend prior to his arrest so that means there were 3-4 days between when the rape supposedly happened and he was arrested. Now it also says that she was trying to call police but he took her cell phone from her. Did it take her 3 days to find her cell phone or any other phone to call police. Maybe you need to re-read the article becuase you just proved that you have no idea what your are talking about.
Here is the exact article as it was printed in the Reformer:

Man held on charges

JAIME CONE, Reformer Staff
Thursday, February 19 BRATTLEBORO -- A 41-year-old Brattleboro man accused of entering a Brattleboro residence and sexually assaulting a woman was ordered held without bail in Windham County District Court Wednesday. Judge Karen Carroll said she would not set bail for John Galanes, who was arraigned on the charges of sexual assault, burglary of an occupied dwelling, stalking and interfering with emergency services, plus six counts of violation of an abuse prevention order.

Carroll said the court is concerned about Galanes breaking a court order by coming in contact with the alleged victim, a violation made even more concerning by the violent nature of the charges against him.

According to court documents, the alleged victim told police that Galanes found her house key in her car and came into her home while she was asleep in her bedroom. She said she woke up when she heard strange noises in the house.

When Galanes entered her bedroom, she tried to call for help but Galanes threw her phone and wouldn't let her have it back.
Her children were also in the house and she didn't want to scream for fear of scaring them, she told police, adding that Galanes left the residence after assaulting her.

Galanes has no prior record, but does have an abuse prevention order that prevents him from coming within 100 feet of the alleged victim and her home.

If convicted, Galanes faces up to 25 years in prison or a fine of not more that $1,000 or both for the burglary charge, not more than five years or a fine of $25,000, or both for the stalking charges, up to three years in prison with a maximum term of life in addition to a $25,000 fine or both for the charge of sexual assault, not more than one year, and $5,000 or both for interfering with access to emergency services.

For each of the seven counts of violation of an abuse prevention order, he could receive up to one year in prison, up to $5,000 in fines, or both.

Jaime Cone can be reached at [email protected] 2009 Brattleboro Reformer. All rights reserved. Reproduced with the permission of Media NewsGroup, Inc. by NewsBank, Inc.

Maria, since you are so smart and I don't know what I'm talking about, maybe you can help me figure out where it says anything about the victim waiting 3-4 days to call the police? Thanks.
jlj

Tallahassee, FL

#68 Mar 6, 2009
Maria wrote:
<quoted text>
very well said!!!

Ellicott City, MD

#69 Mar 6, 2009
jlj wrote:
<quoted text>
very well said!!!
If you read my last post which includes the actual article published in the Reformer, you can see for yourself that nowhere does it say the victim waited 3-4 days before calling the police. In fact, it doesn't even say when the assault happened! Where are you people getting this information from? So, yeah jlj, very well said! Dunce.
from Brattleboro

Skowhegan, ME

#70 Mar 6, 2009
Babs G,# 64:
It's not intolerance to believe that the presentation of arguments, facts and counter-arguments within a legal setting are preferable to "well I know this guy and she's a liar."

While my language may have been inflammatory, likewise it is silly to claim that one's knowledge of another person is so complete as to conclude definitively that you know what happened in a particular circumstance at which you were not present.

I just happen to believe that the legal system is the best way to resolve such things (not that the Anglo-American common law tradition is the absolute best way, but it's like Churchill said of democracy: it's the worst form of government except for all the others).

The reason that many of the comments here are disqualifying for jury duty is precisely because they are inflammatory and contain judgments based on an incomplete knowledge of the facts.

The only intolerance I have is of those who offer up judgments (innocence OR guilt) based on opinions that rest on incomplete knowledge.

That is, if you had been reading closely, why I began by saying that I don't know the details of the case. That actually qualifies me for jury duty.

In addition, I frankly don't care about having power "over what other people believe and think" about this case.

My error here was stumbling into a jury's deliberations, formatted online as a comment thread - except you all are not a jury, and lack facts!
from Brattleboro

Skowhegan, ME

#71 Mar 6, 2009
Maria,#65:
I have no idea when the events actually happened, but if you knew about the legal system, then you would realize that arraignment (when a person is brought before a judge to be formally charged and have bail set) does not necessarily take place the moment or even the day they are arrested. This isn't "Night Court."
babs 2

Williamsville, VT

#72 Mar 6, 2009
I know that a lot of people want to beleive that a man they know in the community could not possibly do the horrific things that he has been accused of. The facts are that if the police the DA didn't have a case that a man would not be held without bail. We will all find out the truth sooner then later.
Babs G

Brattleboro, VT

#73 Mar 7, 2009
from Brattleboro wrote:
Babs G,# 64:
It's not intolerance to believe that the presentation of arguments,....
My error here was stumbling into a jury's deliberations, formatted online as a comment thread - except you all are not a jury, and lack facts!
the TOPIX sites, as a general rule, end up being filled with personal attacks against the people who post on them, more than being a forum for debate or persuasions - they are, for the most part, forums where people vent anger and blame and do their best at trying to convince everyone else that their own knowledge, opinion or belief is "right" and the other is "wrong".
I don't think I have ever seen one person convince another to have a change of heart of a change of mindset - and speaking of juries - I think this forum also reflects a representation of a jury (although those who would hang someone seem to have the higher head count)
So, what we are seeing is closer to a jury than you might dare think about - and certainly one big reason why some juries can't make a unanimous vote - they can't come to an agreement.
I can say one good thing about the forum - better to have the anger here than out on the street. I think it's ultimately a good place for people to vent - as inflammatory as it can get at times, in the end, no one has been hurt.(except the occasional ego)
Cheers - Babs G.
Justice for John

Long Beach, CA

#74 Mar 7, 2009
FYI...The event happened Friday PM, and was reported Tuesday. I think the initially anger from people was the fact that the Reformer left out information that would show that there is much more to this story. I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you have been very one-sided from the start it seems. Please remember that there are always two sides to a story.
Bonent75 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you read my last post which includes the actual article published in the Reformer, you can see for yourself that nowhere does it say the victim waited 3-4 days before calling the police. In fact, it doesn't even say when the assault happened! Where are you people getting this information from? So, yeah jlj, very well said! Dunce.

Ellicott City, MD

#75 Mar 8, 2009
Justice for John wrote:
FYI...The event happened Friday PM, and was reported Tuesday.<quoted text>
Ok, fair enough. All can go by is what I read in the Reformer. The Reformer did not publish that information, so all I wanted to know was "where is everyone getting this information from?", because the Reformer article does not say when the assault took place and when the victim reported it. My question still has not been answered.
Justice for John wrote:
I think the initially anger from people was the fact that the Reformer left out information that would show that there is much more to this story.
<quoted text>
I am assuming you are talking about the information that claims the victim waited 3-4 days before reporting it? Statistically speaking, 60% of sexual assaults are never even reported to police. The reason being that 73% of those victims know the assailant. So it stands to reason that some people have second thoughts about reporting a serious crime committed by someone they know and even more so, someone they have been in or are in a relationship with. Furthermore, with all the victim blaming and scrutinizing going on, I sure as hell would have second thoughts about reporting it too. Lets assume the victim waited 3-4 days - does that mean the assault never happened? No, it doesn't. The only reason people are angry about what the Reformer didn't include in the story is because it didn't give them a chance to point the finger at the victim. I have always said that the accused deserves a fair trial; I expect and demand that from our justice system. I have also said that if he has done nothing wrong, like everyone says, then he will walk away a free man.
Justice for John wrote:
I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you have been very one-sided from the start it seems. Please remember that there are always two sides to a story.
<quoted text>
Yes, there are two sides to every story. Obviously. I have tried to be objective, and for the most part, I have been. If you think I am being one sided, then that goes back to what you just said about everyone being entitled to their opinion. I can only be objective for so long when I have to read some of these posts that are so subjective and baseless. I can't help but react to people who are, to put it nicely, uninformed.
Justice for John

Long Beach, CA

#76 Mar 8, 2009
I appreciate the fact that it is always difficult for a victim to come forth when a situation of this magnitude is presented. However, what the public is also missing is that this particular victim remained in contact with the alleged "attacker" for the duration of the weekend. Now answer me how, in the big scheme of things, that that makes sense if the victim was so terrified of that person, after what a hanus crime he committed? Now, I realize that all of this information was not published in the reformer, so how would you know any of this? Some of us that are friends with the alleged "attacker" were aware of all of these scenarios, therefore this is another reason for the anger and frustration. I would like to mention for what it's worth, that I also agree with most of you that "bashing" the victim does not help the situation. I personally was not present the night of the incident, so obviously am not able to speak for the events of that evening. What I do know for sure, is that there is much more to this than meets the eye. I can't stress enough, that there are two sides to the story. That only the legal system can work out now.
Bonent75 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, fair enough. All can go by is what I read in the Reformer. The Reformer did not publish that information, so all I wanted to know was "where is everyone getting this information from?", because the Reformer article does not say when the assault took place and when the victim reported it. My question still has not been answered.
<quoted text>
I am assuming you are talking about the information that claims the victim waited 3-4 days before reporting it? Statistically speaking, 60% of sexual assaults are never even reported to police. The reason being that 73% of those victims know the assailant. So it stands to reason that some people have second thoughts about reporting a serious crime committed by someone they know and even more so, someone they have been in or are in a relationship with. Furthermore, with all the victim blaming and scrutinizing going on, I sure as hell would have second thoughts about reporting it too. Lets assume the victim waited 3-4 days - does that mean the assault never happened? No, it doesn't. The only reason people are angry about what the Reformer didn't include in the story is because it didn't give them a chance to point the finger at the victim. I have always said that the accused deserves a fair trial; I expect and demand that from our justice system. I have also said that if he has done nothing wrong, like everyone says, then he will walk away a free man.
<quoted text>
Yes, there are two sides to every story. Obviously. I have tried to be objective, and for the most part, I have been. If you think I am being one sided, then that goes back to what you just said about everyone being entitled to their opinion. I can only be objective for so long when I have to read some of these posts that are so subjective and baseless. I can't help but react to people who are, to put it nicely, uninformed.
Bonent75

Baltimore, MD

#77 Mar 9, 2009
Justice for John wrote:
I appreciate the fact that it is always difficult for a victim to come forth when a situation of this magnitude is presented. However, what the public is also missing is that this particular victim remained in contact with the alleged "attacker" for the duration of the weekend. Now answer me how, in the big scheme of things, that that makes sense if the victim was so terrified of that person, after what a hanus crime he committed?
<quoted text>
So you are telling me that the assault happened on Friday, February 13th. Then after the assault, the victim continued to remain in contact with the accused up until Tuesday, February 17th when she reported it? Is that what you are saying? When you say "contact" what do you mean? They hung out and had beers together or they talked on the phone - what do you mean?
Justice for John wrote:
Now, I realize that all of this information was not published in the reformer, so how would you know any of this? Some of us that are friends with the alleged "attacker" were aware of all of these scenarios, therefore this is another reason for the anger and frustration.
<quoted text>
Now you are also saying that some of you who are friends with the accused are "aware" of all these "scenarios". First of all, you only described one "scenario". Second of all, how is it that you came to be "aware" of this "scenario"? Did the accused call up all of his friends and say "Hey, listen everyone, I had a rough night Friday night but I just want everyone to know that she was cool with the whole "sexual assault" thing, and we even went out for beers and chilled for the rest of the weekend."
Justice for John wrote:
I personally was not present the night of the incident, so obviously am not able to speak for the events of that evening.
<quoted text>
So you are admitting that it is possible that the victim was indeed sexually assaulted because you were not there to see if it happened or not? That is exactly what I have been trying to get through everyone's head around here. What needs to happen now is the court needs to consider all the facts and decide what to do next.
kelseygellar

Newaygo, MI

#78 Oct 5, 2013
I know this guy well to and I can tell you from personal experience and I probably can get tons of other woman to agree with me who know him. He is not who he pretends to be he lays on the charm uses his kids to get what he wants, than when he has used you up or you get sick of the abuse he throws you away. He has never had to stand on his on two feet when his mom and brothers are always there to bail him out. Your right money talks but it gives you no right to treat people like the are less than you and disposable including his children,which by the way are left unattended most of the time with guns in the house. The kids can be seen riding there dirt bikes all over the town they live in and be allowed to hunt any animal they feel they want even if not in season. Is he not allowed to have guns just saying
Brattleboro Resident

Brattleboro, VT

#79 Oct 6, 2013
The Brattleboro Reformer is nothing more than a crap paper that only has one mission, and that is to smear the names of people in the area. I do not even know John, but I do know for a fact the the Reformer will pick up any bit of news and spin their own front page headline without even taking the time to even ask the mentioned person to comment. YET, when actual crime is happening in the area, you never read about it. It is selective reporting of news. Don't be so quick to judge him people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brattleboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
We have too many scumbags in town. (Oct '15) 3 hr Stupid BrattleBozos 6
News Gentlewolf released on bail (Jun '07) Thu amen 3
Grout Pond National Forest Area to Become Paid ... Oct 10 Diversity Dude 2
News Diversity dialogue to continue in Brattleboro Sep '17 Paul Kersey 5
Tellman Knudson (Jun '12) Jul '17 Angela Hernandez 51
Did Anyone Get Kilt In Your Flood (Aug '11) Jul '17 Redneck 7
What Does It Take To Get the Brattleboro Reform... Jun '17 Kay 1

Brattleboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance