Man held on charges

Man held on charges

There are 79 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Feb 19, 2009, titled Man held on charges. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

A 41-year-old Brattleboro man accused of entering a Brattleboro residence and sexually assaulting a woman was ordered held without bail in Windham County District Court Wednesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Dave Gabriel

Montpelier, VT

#1 Feb 19, 2009
I just read your report on John Galanes, All I can say is Guilty untill proven innocent. Your letter reads from one side of the story. You just took a well respected buisiness man and stained his name for the rest of his life. Making him look like some evil man who stalked this woman, an animal of a man. I know John and his heart is as big as he is. The woman you wrote about happened to be his wife of only a few months. She was living in John's house, becouse they were going through a nasty seperation and John moved his kids and himself out of his own house to let his soon to be ex wife stay untill she could find a place to live. I'M DISGUSTED!!!!! Your one-sidedness can only be described as irresponsible, ignorant journalism. Be ashamed.!!!!
Joanna T

Montpelier, VT

#2 Feb 19, 2009
(2.19.09) I know that people in the media have to be careful not to give too much of a story with out knowing the true facts, as someones potential innocence is on the line... But it needs to be brought to your attention, and the attention of the readers that some MAJOR facts are missing from the story "Man Held on Charges". Facts that may lead readers to think for themselves, and form their own opinion before crucifying a potentially innocent man.
First of all, as a woman and a mother I would never defend someone convicted of such a heinous act, nor will I be able to look John in the eye again the same if he is convicted... But we're not talking about just anybody. This is a strong member of the community. A business owner, a father; who was taken in handcuffs in front of his childrens school for all to see. John has been a close friend of my family for better than 6 years now, and regardless of his innocence, his name is ruined now. Even if acquitted, people will hear his name and think "oooh, that's the guy who..." All because of the allegations of a woman to whom he was married, and going through a nasty break up.
Your article failed to mention that; this wasn't a random victim whom he allegedly stalked and attacked; this alleged attack happened not in someone else's home, but in a house he owned before she even married him...(He was allowing her & her kids to stay there while the divorce was settled, rather than toss her out on the street.) It also failed to mention that his violation of a protective order wasn't one sided, that instead this alleged victim had repeatedly called the accused, and pleaded for his company more than once. I know we've all been through bad break-ups, and tough times, and few of us can deny hoping to make it work just one last time with that person.... No one knows what final falling out may have set all of this in motion. None of us know what happened in John Galanes's home that night; nor am I insisting that he's entirely innocent. He may have broken some rules, and made mistakes; and it's up to a jury of his peers to decide that now. But I'm asking the media and the readers to remain open minded, and not pass judgement before all the facts are presented. This is a man that many have known and cared for in this community for years. He grew up here, and graduated BUHS. He's not a criminal, but a gentle giant, and I'm hoping that this will all be sorted out to prove that; and quickly. He's facing 25 years in prison, but more than that, he's facing losing the support and trust of a community that he has been so much a part of for his entire life; and not to mention his OWN kids. And being accused of such a heinous act, without the ability to defend himself, instead being locked away. Please allow yourselves to think for yourselves, in the name of all the mistakes you youself have made. None of us live in a glass house, and only one person's side is being represented in the media right now.
Feel free to print my name,
Joanna Terry
Brattleboro

Since: Feb 09

Ellicott City, MD

#3 Feb 19, 2009
Are you serious? The only person irresponsible here is John Galanes. The article simply lays out in plain English the charges against him. How is any of that "ignorant" or "irresponsible?" Have you read any real newspapers lately? Watched any CNN? Both are chock full of stories of criminals and the charges against them! Let's consider the "facts" you claimed here. You say the woman who was attacked was his wife, with whom he is going through a "nasty break up." You also say that Mr. Galanes was allowing her and her children to live in his house until she could find a place to live. Do any of those things give him the right to violate a protective order and break into the house while she and her children are sleeping and sexually assault her? I don't think so. The man clearly had a hidden agenda. On the surface, he posed as a caring person, offering to let a woman (his ex-wife) and her children, with no place to go, live in his home. In reality, his plan was to keep tabs on her, stalk her, monitor her comings and goings, call her non-stop and try to wheedle his way back into her life. Things got so out of control that she found it necessary to get a protective order to keep him away. What kind of "respected businessman", "father", "strong member of the community", "big hearted man" requires a protective order against him because he can't control his own behavior? This person you paint as a pillar of the community then blatantly disregards his protective order and breaks into the house and sexually assaults his ex-wife! Surely a person of the qualities you describe has some knowledge of and respect for the law? Again, I ask, what person of the ilk you describe does this sort of thing? Sounds to me like the sort of person who is really good at maintaining a public facade to cover up the fact that he is nothing but a bully and a spouse abuser. A man who is willing to take advantage of someone in a vulnerable situation to further his own agenda. Not a man at all. Trust, he will have his day in court. I can already see that it will be one big sob story; a lot of hand wringing and finger pointing at his ex-wife, who is clearly the victim here.
A close freind

Springfield, MA

#4 Feb 19, 2009
I wonder if you have any idea who you are talking about sir. BOTH of the first posts are true in facts. Though certainly, no one knows what truly happened, the facts as stated are true. It was his home that he so kindly allowed this woman to stay in while having to displace his own 2 young kids. He received calls from this person constantly for his company, financial support, and the like, even after this order was in place. John has a huge heart,and is a loving parent who's boys mean everything to him. I cannot imagine that he would ever do anything to endanger his kids security or mar their lives. Mistakes have been made here, for sure. It is up to a court of law to look at the facts and determine the truth of the situation. To crucify this man before he is given the chance to defend himself is simply not fair. My child is a close freind of John's children, and has spent alot of time in that household. He has never reported witnessing anything but lots of affection, love, and fun of John and his family. The story here paints a monster. It's just wrong not to report both sides of the story. This is very poor editorial judgement on the part of the Reformer.
Mrs

Palmer, AK

#5 Feb 20, 2009
I agree ! When I read this I thought maybe it was some pervert stalking this poor woman. I agree it was bad reporting for the newspaper. From what a couple of you have said that she calls him to come over and stuff and leaving her house key in her car sounds like a hiding place he knew about and something maybe they had set up so he could come in without waking the house. To bad as it sounds like amybe she set him up. I`m a woman but in this case I`m taking the guys side. I don`t know this man. I`m just going by what the newspaper said and the comments left by his friends. He is lucky to have friends like you people are. I wish him luck !
Jenna

Westfield, MA

#6 Feb 20, 2009
Bottom Line......Mr.Galanes violated a relief from abuse order. He entered a home,it does not matter whose home it is,that he was legally restricted from and sexually assaulted a women. The women may have been his estranged wife, but that does not excuse this type of sick behavior. We should not excuse his criminal behavior because he is a "well respected business man." His estranged wife was in fear of her safety and filed for a relief from abuse order on Mr. Galanes. If she called him up and wanted him to come over, she would have left the door unlocked or waited up to let him in. If he was welcome at that house, he would have had a key. If she wanted sex, she wouldn't have said that he sexually assaulted her. If she wanted an income, she would not have let her meal ticket go. If she wanted him, he would still be in the house. Get real...He broke in her house and sexually assaulted her.People can be good fathers, business men and well respected community members and still commit violent crimes.HE IS A CRIMINAL AND DESERVES ANY LEGAL PUNISHMENT THAT HE GETS. Also, she should end up with the house in the divorce settlement because of the pain that she had to suffer.
Vermonter

New Haven, CT

#7 Feb 20, 2009
In addition to all of the charges, which I will withhold judgments on, what I find very upsetting about this is that according to the above post he was arrested in front of his son’s school. What is wrong with the Brattleboro Police? It is either very clear that they knew Mr. Galanes was not at all the violent man that charges claim, or they were completely reckless in their actions. What if something had gone wrong? Why put our community children at risk? Why cause the extra mental anguish to his own children?

I am never one to blame the police and am very grateful for the work they do. However, this was not a case where a crime was happening at the time, they could have followed him home or to work or even just down Western Ave.
Vermonter

New Haven, CT

#8 Feb 20, 2009
Quote from Jenna
"If she wanted sex, she wouldn't have said that he sexually assaulted her. If she wanted an income, she would not have let her meal ticket go. If she wanted him, he would still be in the house."

Unfortunately this a very naïve view on life. It is a sad fact that woman do use untrue sexual assault threats against men all too often, to get what they want and need. Of course each claim need to be taken seriously, but it is no way as cut and dry as you suggest. There is no way from the facts that we have that any of us can make a fair judgment on this. Nor do we need to. It is up to the courts now and for the sake off all the people involved especially the children I hope this is something that is not a frequent topic for the reformer in the future.
from the comments

Brookline, MA

#9 Feb 20, 2009
Judging from some of the comments here, it sounds as though she may be crying wolf...

Maybe she asked him over, told him that she left the key in her car for him, and then ased to be intmate, and then later decided she didn't like/want it (after it had happened) and reporetd it...

Or maybe he really did it. I hope that she isnt' crying wolf, that's sick.
Wayne

Brattleboro, VT

#10 Feb 20, 2009
To Vermonter: You'll hold judgement on all the charges, but you won't hold your judgement of the police. If you don't know all the facts, then don't hold judgement on anyone and you can what if all day long and still not get it right.
Dave Gabriel

Montpelier, VT

#11 Feb 20, 2009
This is what I was talking about, You took what you read and decided John is a criminal. The facts are, the house is Johns, He had decided to seperate from her, he was still taking care of her money issues, He uprooted his kids from the house they grew up in to give her a place to stay untill the seperation was final.
But the second she crys, Johns the criminal. This makes me sick!
Dave Gabriel

Montpelier, VT

#12 Feb 20, 2009
The true topic is not weather John is guilty or innocent. The courts will decide that. For his sake and his kids, I hope he is innocent. The original topic was that the reformer has made mud of Johns name. All I ask is no one judge him before this is judged in court.

Since: Feb 09

Williamstown, VT

#13 Feb 20, 2009
For those who actually have some knowledge of the situation, if there is any justice this will never get close to court. Between all the facts that have yet to surface and the obvious inconsistencies like she tried so hard to call for help and then for some reason waited four days to make her complaints to the authorities, she will end up with zero credibilty. Jenna's statements regarding the "pain she has suffered" is laughable as she was an obsessive pursuer of the defendent, easily documented and her motives were always selfish. You are onto something Jenna though in regards for her looking for gain out of this. That is all she ever was about.

Furthermore, the rush to press charges with basically no investigation will become highly controversial and will not reflect well on the local police department, the district attorny, or the hanging judge. And finally, shame on the author of the article in the Reformer and it's editors. You are a disgrace to journalism for the obvious one-sided inflammatory tone of the article. The community deserve better.
anytime

Little Rock, AR

#14 Feb 20, 2009
Anyone that reads the Brattleboro reformer must know by now that the paper does not care about anyones life or reputation, as much as it cares about selling papers, and when they do make a mistake they will put a small correction about the size of a stamp in a attempt (yeah right) to fix it. The only way for the newspaper (and i use this term loosely) is to read it as though its the National Enquirer then you wont be as upset about its biased reporting and its one sided view.

What happens when and if John and so many others are cleared, their names has been all over smallville Brattleboro and all the people that read the big article in BOLD lettering, but not the little square correction is read.

Bottom line Wrap fish or start a fire with the Bratt Reformer, that about what's it worth.
Michael

Little Rock, AR

#15 Feb 20, 2009
Vermonter from Franklin MA said it best "It is a sad fact that woman do use untrue sexual assault threats against men all too often, to get what they want and need".
jenna s friend

Hauppauge, NY

#16 Feb 20, 2009
why would anyone make this shit up ?
the other side

Little Rock, AR

#17 Feb 20, 2009
Plenty of people do, and you may even know some one who has.
Joe

Chester, VT

#18 Feb 21, 2009
jenna s friend wrote:
why would anyone make this **** up ?
$$$ money $$$

Lots of psychopath gold digger scanks who will try anything to make money.
Born

Jericho, VT

#19 Feb 21, 2009
anytime wrote:
Anyone that reads the Brattleboro reformer must know by now that the paper does not care about anyones life or reputation, as much as it cares about selling papers, and when they do make a mistake they will put a small correction about the size of a stamp in a attempt (yeah right) to fix it. The only way for the newspaper (and i use this term loosely) is to read it as though its the National Enquirer then you wont be as upset about its biased reporting and its one sided view.
What happens when and if John and so many others are cleared, their names has been all over smallville Brattleboro and all the people that read the big article in BOLD lettering, but not the little square correction is read.
Bottom line Wrap fish or start a fire with the Bratt Reformer, that about what's it worth.
Did you even care when that old farmer in Putney was accused of rape? The man was in his 80's and the woman was I believe in her 30's. I can't even remember the man's name & I used to pick barries at the farm. don't blame the Reformer for this one, be consistent and diligent in you advocacy for the injustly accused.
Joanna T

Montpelier, VT

#20 Feb 21, 2009
I'm just glad that there are at least a handful of citizens left in the world who think for themselves, and don't immediately believe everything the media spews. Thanks for restoring my faith in humanity! After reading the article, all i could think was "Awww, jesuschrist... Anyone who doesn't know John would crucify him apon reading this!!!" And obviously there's still a few who will be lead to pass judgement without knowing all the facts... This reads like a bad movie-plot, where a goldigger finds a way to manipulate people to get what she wants... But what this goldigger isn't taking into consideration is KARMA. And if she has a soul, I pray she does the right thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brattleboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vermonts new economy (Jun '14) May 25 Community Disorga... 214
News Police Log May 23 Cheddar Cheese 1
Looking for Guy Who Tried to Sell Heroin To My Kid (Sep '15) May 23 Candles 4
We have too many scumbags in town. (Oct '15) May 23 Candles 2
Murder in Brattleboro, 1950 to 1956 (Apr '10) May 23 Candles 35
Marble is still missing, and a year of silence? May 23 Candles 2
News Two arraigned in I-91 heroin bust (Oct '14) May 12 Anonymous 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brattleboro Mortgages